• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Free to Play Content Infograph

Helios

EFaRiJVUwAAMvUD

-Arcadia-

Banned
I had no idea this was going (partially?) F2P. Interesting.

I don’t know that I’d pay $60, or whatever, to see if Bungie has landed on the good side of the inconsistent quality they’ve been on all gen, but for free...

Phase

Funny, I picked it up a while back when they were giving it away. Got to lvl 20 and got bored. This is almost enticing me, but that's just my loot/grind mind trying to trick me.

Last edited:

Walledhouse

Can I play this as a single player campaign?
Yes.

That is a lot of content for free. I kinda feel sorry for people who jumped in on launch.
In one regard, playing good games are never a regret even if they become free for others later. But on the other hand, the first year of Destiny 2 had an awful design choice that they since reverted.

Without going into it too hard, they allowed people to use things like shotguns and snipers about as much as they’d like; wheras at launch they shared a rare ammunition with rocket launchers.

I recently finished The Red War campaign with a second character; and it feels right. It used to feel like you were playing the entirety of Halo with just the Assault Rifle.

Wait a second... there is a free boost to 750 LL?! I may as well make a backup titan then
I’m pretty sure that they’ve ditched leveling entirely; and both old and newly made characters will start with a gear score of 750, starting everyone on an equal footing.

Bungie have stated: You won’t find any weapons, armour or content below level 750; and retroactively all gear is getting upgraded. Level 750 may as well be level 1.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
In one regard, playing good games are never a regret even if they become free for others later. But on the other hand, the first year of Destiny 2 had an awful design choice that they since reverted.

Without going into it too hard, they allowed people to use things like shotguns and snipers about as much as they’d like; wheras at launch they shared a rare ammunition with rocket launchers.

I recently finished The Red War campaign with a second character; and it feels right. It used to feel like you were playing the entirety of Halo with just the Assault Rifle.

Hm, maybe I'll jump back in. I played it on PS4 with my friend back in the day and it never really grabbed me.

Neolombax

Gold Member
That is a lot of content for free. I kinda feel sorry for people who jumped in on launch.

Not at all, I've never felt regret being a day 1 player despite it being free now. If anything, I'm happy that the player pool may just increase by a lot. Its one of the best shooters out there in my opinion, and the lore to me is just fantastic. The more people who get to experience this game, the better.

Walledhouse

Hm, maybe I'll jump back in. I played it on PS4 with my friend back in the day and it never really grabbed me.
I completed the first campaign and left the game alone for nearly two years; hoping something like this would come and change it up.

I’m using the free-to-play model to coerce my friends into playing it with me; I’m pretending its just casual but I’ve been in the closet for so long.

By the way, it’s semi-cross save now too. I’m going to play primarily on my computer and sneakily boot up the free version on my PS4 to smash children in the Crucible. The expansions do not transfer as far as I’m aware, so you’ll always have a ‘main’ platform.

New Light should have happened six months ago when they didn't have to compete with Borderlands. They're completely different games, and they're both worth playing, but they're also both huge and take a lot of free time to play.

I'll be playing Borderlands 3 for a while. If I ever get back into Destiny, it won't be until several months down the road, and the Borderlands 3 DLC might even prevent that.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Thinking about it, this seems like a smart move. I’m more interested in Destiny 2 than... well, I ever have been.

After ridiculous amounts of time spent in Destiny 1, I couldn’t tell you why the sequel never appealed to me. It just didn’t.

However, with this, it feels like yeah, sure, why not give it a try. As long as Bungie can hook players and sell them on the rest of the package, and F2P garbage doesn’t make its way in, they have an opportunity to do booming business.

Why play this inferior loot grinder when you could play Warframe instead?

Game is 100% not pay 2 win, land you stuff won't get obsolete with a sequel.

Not co-signing on the forcefulness that was stated with (I respect your opinion), but Warframe indeed seems like a great alternative to check out.

Dacon

Banned
I don't think most people who bought it are stressing about the 60 bucks they spent two years ago.

Yet I can still feel sympathy for people who dumped a bunch of money on this game and its content drops just for it to all wind up free anyway.

I'd feel a bit cheated myself.

GametimeUK

The thing you got to remember about these MMO inspired games is that when a new expansion, the previous content almost becomes obsolete anyway. Serious players will no longer be touching that free content anymore. I think it's a good idea on Bundles behalf and I don't feel ripped off at all. I had the chance to expe1rience the content with the community as intended.

I mean... I've played the game for 2,000 hours between PC and PS4 since it launched and a lot of those experiences will never be recreated because updates have changed the game. I've made friends, lost friends and had years of fun... not sure I'd trade all that to get it free 2 years later, not many others would either judging by how upset people are a single mode in CoD will be exclusive to PS4 for a year. Or how angry people get over a game being Epic Store exclusive for a year. The patience of gamers is pretty non-existent.

joombo

Banned
Thanks for the info! Can't wait to give it a try, i'm a big fan of Destiny game. Recently I subscribed to https://epiccarry.com/destiny-2/ boosting service to follow the latest updates. With new skills playing is even more entertaining.

Last edited:
thanks for the info...finished the first storyline 2 years ago but then lost interest. I'm going to at least go back and play through and see how all the changes affect the game and do the other free story lines

Iorv3th

That is a good amount of content for free. Kind of limited on the loot though with only year 1 drops.

The two or three times I tried to play warframe it was an absolute snoozefest.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Because Warframe lacks a lot of what makes Destiny fun for many players. Primarily challenge and gameplay for me personally. Warframe did not scratch that itch. Destiny provides:

Excellent Gunplay
Nightfalls
Gambit
Raids
PvP
Exotics/Pinnacle/Ritual quests
Dungeon/Secret Missions (Whisper/Zero Hour)
And a shit ton more.

I played Warframe for 100+ hours and it definitely feels pay to win. You can either grind for hundreds of hours to get those weapons and frames OR people can simply pay for them and get then immediately. That's a pay to win concept. In Destiny, I can't pay to own the best weapons or armor pieces. You have to earn them.

Honestly at this point people just hate the game because of their first experience with the vanilla game or they just listen to the
echo chamber of hate the game gets from years back.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i haven't played in a while. 750 is the starting level? i think the highest i got was 320 or something around that. i'm so out of touch but can't wait to jump back in.

i wonder how they are gonna handle releasing content for F2P. so you can play the base and first 2 expansions but you need to pay for Forsaken + Shadowkeep + annual passes. They should've just lumped Forsaken into the F2P and made Shadowkeep/Annual Passes the paid content.

Last edited:

Mithos

So how do you prepare for this on console?
Destiny 2: Forsaken was "free" on PS+ for PS4, If I download that "version" now, will it update to the new version when free 2 play show up or is it a completely new download/client for this?

Last edited:

j0hnnix

i haven't played in a while. 750 is the starting level? i think the highest i got was 320 or something around that. i'm so out of touch but can't wait to jump back in.

i wonder how they are gonna handle releasing content for F2P. so you can play the base and first 2 expansions but you need to pay for Forsaken + Shadowkeep + annual passes. They should've just lumped Forsaken into the F2P and made Shadowkeep/Annual Passes the paid content.

This is where my confusion lies. I have Forsaken on PS4 but want to move over to Xbox. I think they only are doing cross save , with the power spike to 750 I think Forsaken is pointless , unless for lore, so you would only need shadowkeep... At least that's how I'm understanding it.

Anyone want to run Destiny 2 when it comes out add me j0hnniX on Xbox.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Because Warframe lacks a lot of what makes Destiny fun for many players. Primarily challenge and gameplay for me personally. Warframe did not scratch that itch. Destiny provides:

Excellent Gunplay
Nightfalls
Gambit
Raids
PvP
Exotics/Pinnacle/Ritual quests
Dungeon/Secret Missions (Whisper/Zero Hour)
And a shit ton more.

I played Warframe for 100+ hours and it definitely feels pay to win. You can either grind for hundreds of hours to get those weapons and frames OR people can simply pay for them and get then immediately. That's a pay to win concept. In Destiny, I can't pay to own the best weapons or armor pieces. You have to earn them.

Honestly at this point people just hate the game because of their first experience with the vanilla game or they just listen to the
echo chamber of hate the game gets from years back.

Hats some legit reasons. I just hate how we lose what we grinded with the next sequel. That's also what turned me off with The Division series.

Dynasty8

Hats some legit reasons. I just hate how we lose what we grinded with the next sequel. That's also what turned me off with The Division series.

I get it man. I'm a little different and kind of enjoy that reset. I recently played Borderlands 3 and liked having new stats/weapons to work towards. Destiny 2 might be going on for a few more years, so I do feel like everything I have worked towards so far has been worth it for me personally. But if Bungie decides to create a brand new sequel with a new engine, huge campaign and changes, then I'm cool with starting over as long as this becomes the final entry that they'll focus on.

After their split with Activision, it's pretty clear that they wanted to go the MMO route...and that's where they're going now with D2, but hardware limitations won't allow D2 to go on forever. I would like to see a D3 with full Cross Play/Cross Save, 60fps on ALL platforms, new engine, new epic full campaign, and heavier emphasis on the MMO/Endgame part of the game. If they can pull that off, I won't mind at all if they get rid of all my progress. Getting new gear and power is fun for me and gives a weird sense of stress relief IMHO...but that's not for everyone.

johntown

Banned
Why do I feel the urge to keep going back to this game? They say the same thing with each release and it seems to always be disappointing (somewhat as there is good content).

I want to jump back on board but I have be burned too much with this game. Going to wait for release and see what the community thinks after a few weeks before I decide.

VertigoOA

Banned
Best shooter on the market will become better.

The f2p version does have a lot of content. It’s surprising honestly but I’m sure it doesn’t hurt them much when Activision helped bankroll it.

You even get the year 2 dlc minus the raids; you get menagerie, gambit prime and the forges.

The game moving in real time from season to season is exciting.

If you just intend to the play the campaign and end it before even actually seeing the actual game ... then don’t bother. I mean... they’ve removed the campaign as a requisite for endgame content altogether... and it’s for the better. The f2p version bypasses the campaigns completely (but they’re still always going to be there).

Keep in mind if you owned forsaken, on the 17th of September all year 2 annual pass content became free to base forsaken owners. Most players will be on an even playing field come Tuesday.

Current Year 2 Destiny is the best destiny has been period. Better than a rose tinted nostalgia bukkshit about year 3 d1 and it’s no content.

To the next five years...

Last edited:
Top Bottom