• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 removing even more content

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Destiny 2 has once again decided that the current game just had too much content for people to handle, and that once again content that people have paid for must be purged before the player base implodes with access to too much choice.

This is naturally causing drama within the Destiny 2 Community, however I suspect after the first culling where the playerbase just shut up and continued to buy lootboxes within a week its probably what they want. Don't worry though all the exclusive items from the content will be purchasable in a pack for real money, priorities am I right?

If you needed a reason why GAAS is bad I don't think you need to look much further than Destiny 2.

Last edited:

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
1) It's 3 year old content that literally no one plays anymore.
2) They are making all that old content free for new players a month before removal
3) It is not completely removed but inside a content vault to be re put in the game later down the line if suitable but updated
4) Content being put into the vault needed to happen as before hand loading times for everything and QoL patches delivery times were in an awful situation. This has been sorted now.
5) When old content is taken out, new content from the vault is put into the game, for example we've had a classic D1 raid and strikes etc
6) You literally can't buy loot boxes in the eververse
7) Actually make an informed post next time. Rather than ignorant drama.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not a fan of them removing the content in the way they're doing it. It completely destroys the narrative IMO. They should make the entire playable story element of the game available in a separate standalone sandbox. Sunsetting was a much more of a bitter pill to swallow though. Removing content that was paid for isn't great, but making a weapon that took weeks/months to obtain completely useless just stings.

However, I still love this game any I'll likely be playing it for as long as they're making content. And given that Forsaken was a huge expansion, hopefully The Which Queen will be similarly scoped.

Last edited:

Relique

It comes down to two things really:
1. It's a file size issue. As of right now the game is at about 71 gigs for the steam version at least. This will be larger in December when the new dungeons, pvp maps, 6 man activity, and loot drops.
2. Every zone they keep in requires maintenance, and needs to be rotated in and out for future activities and seasons. The zone they are removing is particularly buggy, every season since Beyond light it caused crashes for many people especially in loading zones between areas on the map. I had to avoid it for the first few weeks every season until they fix it.

No one is happy about this. Personally, it is one of my favorite zones aesthetically. It's such a unique looking zone with a cool color palette. With that being said I understand why they have to do this. What I don't get is why they want to keep monetizing forsaken with this new pack when half of the content is being removed. They would have had much more support of they just made Dreaming City and everything in it free to play, that content is ancient already.

Hestar69

Destiny 2 is a god awful game. picked it up for the third time again with a friend.. I Was having fun and then hit the wall aka NOTHING to do. do a weeky,raid and that's pretty much it. I almost got to 1330 power but it's just so grindy and boring. Bungie needs to make a new game destiny 2 has been garbage.

Rykan

I'm always surprised by the amount of people defending this.

I can't think of a single MMORPG/ORPG that actually deletes its old content on a regular basis. It's bizarre. I've tried to get into the game again a couple of months ago. I had originally played the main story when it first came out and I was surprised that they basically removed all of it. The game makes no sense for new players now.

It's just poor management as far as I'm concerned.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Decent points if developers haven't had this exact issues in other titles and solved it in diffrent ways, its hardly CoD size yet.

5) When old content is taken out, new content from the vault is put into the game, for example we've had a classic D1 raid and strikes etc

Most games keep there old content and then supply new content, unless it's Disney who also have a "vault" that most people rightfully mock

You could when they made the first culling of content for quite some time.

Sorry no can do, afterall I would need to lower my gaming standards significantly to go into that one again after the season of opulence ended, everything was downhill from there.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
its hardly CoD size yet.
It used to be CoD sized before the Beyond Light content vault
Their hands are kinda forced here because of their engine. They should have done what 343i did with their engine, spending some time completely revamping the engine before Destiny 2(and instead update Destiny 1 for few more years). They want to just keep updating Destiny 2 now instead of making Destiny 3, but their engine is not ready for that kind of content. Atleast they had a live event at the end of Season of Arrivals, making the content vault part of lore.

Aion002

Removing access to bought content... That's a new low for Bungie.

Will Smith No GIF

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Their hands are kinda forced here because of their engine. They should have done what 343i did with their engine, spending some time completely revamping the engine before Destiny 2(and instead update Destiny 1 for few more years). They want to just keep updating Destiny 2 now instead of making Destiny 3, but their engine is not ready for that kind of content. Atleast they had a live event at the end of Season of Arrivals, making the content vault part of lore.

So there going with their 10 year plan finally. They should really cut there losses and gone into Destiny 3 after the first cull since they knew this was going to happen again and again.

This is one of those things that show GAAS games will just be forgotten in terms of video game history, because you can't replay them, not really, even if you solve the issue of the servers going offline. Could make the same argument for MMO's of course but I feel they handle that kind of stuff better, FF XIV being an example.

Last edited:

It's kinda funny how in the past they claimed Destiny 2 had the engine issues fixed, but I think all they fixed is it doesn't take 8 hours to move assets around the levels.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Destiny 2 is a god awful game. picked it up for the third time again with a friend.. I Was having fun and then hit the wall aka NOTHING to do. do a weeky,raid and that's pretty much it. I almost got to 1330 power but it's just so grindy and boring. Bungie needs to make a new game destiny 2 has been garbage.
That’s destiny.. get in early enjoy it have fun.
Then when all things turn to slow ass shit.

get off.. great game.. i had 200 hours of great fun. Then i dropped it 😂

STARSBarry

Gold Member

However that issue is that those 200 hours of fun you had can never be experienced by anyone else again, its gone and has been since the first cull... so then how would you advise a new perspective player about the content they will experience when they first play the current version? How could you make an informed opinion on the structure of the game?

This is hyperbole of course at its core the mechanics and gunplay are the same, however the game is also at the same time diffrent from the Destiny 2 you played. Its essentially telling someone Destiny 2 is fun when you have only played Destiny... considering that they added old strikes and zones from that its probably closer to the truth.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Ok I am not defending this but really hardly anyone I know plays these old content. Their is no reward attached to them as Bungie wants you to try new activitiy they add every season. The best thing to come out of Beyond Light was Battlegrounds, and they're staying.

I might be mildly pissed about it but in 1.5 years I never went back to play older content for more than 5 times.
Still charging for Forsaken is 100% scummy practice and bad management though

Hestar69

None honestly.

CoD is CoD, grew tired of it years ago

always disliked BF

Halo I used to enjoy but infinite just looks boring to me and dated beyond belief. This series needs a reboot badly

Pretty much lol..I haven't played it since it was on the activision launcher but a friend wanted to play it again.It was fun again for a few days then we realized why we stopped playing it again.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
However that issue is that those 200 hours of fun you had can never be experienced by anyone else again, its gone and has been since the first cull... so then how would you advise a new perspective player about the content they will experience when they first play the current version? How could you make an informed opinion on the structure of the game?

This is hyperbole of course at its core the mechanics and gunplay are the same, however the game is also at the same time diffrent from the Destiny 2 you played. Its essentially telling someone Destiny 2 is fun when you have only played the original.
Well i wouldn’t know ofc. Because i only played at launch. Just like destiny 1!

when a game gets to a point that is stops respecting my time i get out.

since they added more and more and more.. maybe it’s still fun? If there is enough base content? I don’t know..

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Isn't Destiny copy pasted from very small set of Assets anyways?

Bungie has never been able to efficiently create assets for Destiny. In the early days of destiny 1 the blame was on the engine, but come destiny 2 the problem remained so who knows what’s going on.

At this time they’re making some other games so chances are they have the bulk of the artists work on that while destiny keeps recycling stuff.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Bungie has never been able to efficiently create assets for Destiny. In the early days of destiny 1 the blame was on the engine, but come destiny 2 the problem remained so who knows what’s going on.

At this time they’re making some other games so chances are they have the bulk of the artists work on that while destiny keeps recycling stuff.
Because they game becomes extremely boring after just few hours... It's just insane how small it feels. For supposedly huge project.

Bernkastel

Could make the same argument for MMO's of course but I feel they handle that kind of stuff better, FF XIV being an example.
They could have gone for over 10 years if they stuck with D1 graphics though. Destiny 1 is only around 50 GB after 3 years worth of content. I am not familiar with FF XIV, but does it add new areas with each expansion? Elder Scrolls Online sure does, but they don't have the graphics of what you would expect from a next gen Elder Scrolls game. Each Destiny 2 yearly expansion is almost the size of a full AAA game, so it was already three times the size of Destiny 1 after 3 years.

Godot25

Banned
Decent points if developers haven't had this exact issues in other titles and solved it in diffrent ways, its hardly CoD size yet.
Yup. Other developers are dealing with it by dumping all and making a sequel. Which is what Bungie don't want to do.

I don't like removing content, but honestly, I don't even play Override, which is seasonal activity from last season anymore. I sure as shit don't bother with Forsaken campaign again.

Especially when Last Wish, Shattered Throne and Dreaming City are staying.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
They could have gone for over 10 years if they stuck with D1 graphics though. Destiny 1 is only around 50 GB after 3 years worth of content. I am not familiar with FF XIV, but does it add new areas with each expansion? Elder Scrolls Online sure does, but they don't have the graphics of what you would expect from a next gen Elder Scrolls game. Each Destiny 2 yearly expansion is almost the size of a full AAA game, so it was already three times the size of Destiny 1 after 3 years.

The original engine was so bad that they publicly apologised and shut the game down by adding a world ending in game event which is shown to every new player who plays the game.

At the same time they had been rebuilding the game from scratch in a new engine retaining the look of the title and relaunched this new version for free after a year to everyone who owned the original. When new content is added they make sure older content can be done via capping the item level to retain the challenge if so wished (you can turn capping on and off) they also release ultimates which are based on older content but sooped up to create a multistage epic boss fight that includes every major boss of the raid with remixed moved sets. People still do these regularly as there the most challenging content in the game and it rewards a unique cosmetic for bragging rights.

Essentially they had a similar problem to Destiny in that the engine didn't allow what they wanted, so they saved what they could retooled everything else and then have never stripped back content since then, all the old zones still exist, and have been reused with updated content, not removed.

You can recycle and improve content and also retain the old stuff at the same time, you just have to be willing. It's why FF XIV is overtaking WoW these days in terms of playerbase even though its been out over half a decade.

The only benefit to removing stuff is short term profit as it let's you sell all the new cash shop stuff without having to put time or effort into dealing with the older content, there are plenty of options available to a dev to look at an old zone and do something new with it.

There's a 3 part documentary about it (that'd part 1 if your interested) I might also add that this is done on a budget that is dwarfed by its competitors, Yoshi-P the director often jokes he wishes he could get his hands on a single WoW exspantion budget.

Last edited:
Weird. I just booted up D2 after a year, two maybe? and started a new char. It's a bit of a mess just sorting through the changes and getting some sense of direction.
Guess it's a good time to play Forsaken again. Quite liked that one. Never did Shadowkeep (have it) or Beyond Light (don't have it).

Kydd BlaZe

You could when they made the first culling of content for quite some time.
Again, this is incorrect.

You could never buy “loot boxes” in Destiny 2. Yes there are bright engrams which contain a random assortment of cosmetic items, but you could never outright buy them.
Absolutely not! It has ~24% deadzone on sticks :messenger_dizzy: Destiny is one of the worst controlling FPS' out there!

OlNMNKV.png
False

Last edited:

martino

Isn't Destiny copy pasted from very small set of Assets anyways?
if recycling in society were like content in this game then nobody would have to worry for fate of our actual uberconsumerism

/jk of course

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Again, this is incorrect

You could never buy “loot boxes” in Destiny 2. Yes there are bright en

Do you work for EA or something? Bright Engrams where a lootbox and you have been able to purchase them for silver (which you can only buy with with real money) for longer than you haven't been, if you didn't know look it up... you know what fuck it il show it for you.

Yes apparently in recent years they have been removed for purchase, but only later on in 2020. Strange definition of "never"

Either you haven't played the game for a majority of it's life span or your arguing that FIFA ultimate team dousent have loot boxes because there "card packs" so which is it?

Last edited:
Oh boy, OP, you just opened the floodgates to people who are going to tell you how crucial it is for Bungie to remove content from the game. I don't even need to read the thread to tell you that. Doesn't matter that the stuff they actually paid for is just gone, they'll still somehow justify it. Bungie mostly flies under the radar, but they really jerk their player base around quite a bit. I used to be heavily into Destiny, but Bungie's stupid decisions, complete unwillingness to listen to their players, and the constant regression of the game itself is enough to where I'll never touch the franchise again. They're the epitome of "we know best" developers, as they continue to make the most baffling decisions.
There's a reason why Destiny players are always arguing with each other, and it's Bungie.

Again, this is incorrect.

You could never buy “loot boxes” in Destiny 2. Yes there are bright engrams which contain a random assortment of cosmetic items, but you could never outright buy them.
Sorry, but this is what is incorrect. Bright engrams were sold for silver, the paid currency.

RafterXL

Imagine releasing a game as great as Destiny, claiming the engine was an issue for development, and then releasing a sequel with all the same problems and that has to keep deleting content from to keep it under control. I literally couldn't have been a bigger Destiny fanboy, thousands of hours played, and now I'm at the point I'll never buy another Bungie game. Constantly removing content and absolutely butchering the story is the stupidest shit I've ever seen a developer do and anyone who defends it is just braindead.

2) They are making all that old content free for new players a month before removal
3) It is not completely removed but inside a content vault to be re put in the game later down the line if suitable but updated
4) Content being put into the vault needed to happen as before hand loading times for everything and QoL patches delivery times were in an awful situation. This has been sorted now.
In case anyone was wondering, this is what Stockholm Syndrome looks like folks.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Imagine releasing a game as great as Destiny, claiming the engine was an issue for development, and then releasing a sequel with all the same problems and that has to keep deleting content from to keep it under control. I literally couldn't have been a bigger Destiny fanboy, thousands of hours played, and now I'm at the point I'll never buy another Bungie game. Constantly removing content and absolutely butchering the story is the stupidest shit I've ever seen a developer do and anyone who defends it is just braindead.

Its becoming quite apparent despite people saying I am "Misinformed" that the people who are angry seem to be long term players, and the people who arnt appear to be those who have only recently picked up the game when it went F2P and are essentially saying "I never played the prior version but it was probably shit so no loss"

78q1akJ.jpg

Still got my old CE... its funny when I think about it. Destiny 2 had it's moments but really Bungie blamed Activision and once they got away from them I think most of us realised it was never Activision that where the problem, Bungie is just not what it used to be.

GametimeUK

I'm not saying I like it, but I understand. Trying to jump back into Destiny is a bit baffling for me because of all the content. I wish they'd just streamline the new stuff in a super obvious way. However, I do get content changing / being removed or reworked.A quick example is WoW Cataclysm just wasn't the same WoW.

When I go into a loot based service style game I always treat it as such and always want to do the latest content. I expect things to change, I expect to pay for expansions etc, but I also focus on the most recent updates and never look back.

If you want a campaign style game then you're best off sticking to Halo and Doom. Destiny isn't for everyone.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Its becoming quite apparent despite people saying I am "Misinformed" that the people who are angry seem to be long term players, and the people who arnt appear to be those who have only recently picked up the game when it went F2P and are essentially saying "I never played the prior version but it was probably shit so no loss"

Still got my old CE... its funny when I think about it. Destiny 2 had it's moments but really Bungie blamed Activision and once they got away from them I think most of us realised it was never Activision that where the problem, Bungie is just not what it used to be.

Nice CE.

The problem with Bungie imho is gross mismanagement. If you can't keep a content stream with 700+ people in the team you're doing something wrong, as in extremely wrong.

PetrCobra

I played through the campaign literally a few days ago. Not sure how much has already been cut but from what I can gather, the original campaign (Red War?) has been gone for some time now. If you're saying they should disregard new players and concentrate on pissing off the least amount of existing longtime users then fine.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I played through the campaign literally a few days ago. Not sure how much has already been cut but from what I can gather, the original campaign (Red War?) has been gone for some time now. If you're saying they should disregard new players and concentrate on pissing off the least amount of existing longtime users then fine.

If your interested you can view the story bits here.

I will point out this is only the 1.0 story stuff not including Curse of Osiris or Warmind which was also cut in the first wave.

Bernkastel

Wait. Thats it? I can see why this is under 50 GB, while destiny 2 was over 150 GB within 3 years. The only Destiny raid that can be completed that fast is if you are speedrunning Crota's End. And the highest was Last Wish.
I mean comparing the raid you showed with scenes from the latest Deep Stone Crypt raid in Destiny 2.

And Bungie does that with much lower price.
You better play Forsaken. Its one of the best Destiny campaign.

I think Bungie isn't concerned with getting new fans anymore. Their #1 priority is their fanbase that will play whatever garbage they give them. Destiny is the only MMO series I know where people actively celebrate removing content and putting back in later with a price tag. First was the transition from D1 -> D2, then it was removing D2 campaign, then it was sunsetting all your hours of grinding, then they brought back VoG and old exotics, now it is another wave of content removal. Then they will bring back Forsaken content a year from now when there is nothing to do and charge season $$ for it and say, "WOW! Look! Legacy content! WOW!" And the fans will eat it like a dog eating its vomit. It is honestly amusing at this point. Bungie can't lose with this fanbase. When they did their Witch Queen or whatever its called reveal and are going to charge $100 for that iconic rocket launcher thing I just laughed and knew the player base loved it. Imagine preordering FF14 Endwalker and you get your classes anima weapon XD

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I was surprised when I logged into DESTINY and it "time warped" me on a character, but isn't this just how the game has to work now that there isn't going to be a Destiny 3 and this is the Destiny experience? This isn't an MMO, so having characters slog through nine years worth of content to get to where current gamers are isn't a great idea.

. . .I also like that this has the game not stuck in a sort of time bubble; this lets the world fit the current narrative versus having to stay static.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Annoys me like the last vaulting. I paid for this stuff. Fucking sucks they take it away. Kinda hope new expasion is on gamepass like last 2, doesn’t feel as bad if I don’t buy it.

Umbasaborne

Banned
As someone who BOUGHT forsaken, fuck bungie on this one. Anti consumer as fuck. If you are worried about size, then let us choose what to keep installed and what to delete

Bernkastel

I think Bungie isn't concerned with getting new fans anymore. Their #1 priority is their fanbase that will play whatever garbage they give them. Destiny is the only MMO series I know where people actively celebrate removing content and putting back in later with a price tag. First was the transition from D1 -> D2, then it was removing D2 campaign, then it was sunsetting all your hours of grinding, then they brought back VoG and old exotics, now it is another wave of content removal. Then they will bring back Forsaken content a year from now when there is nothing to do and charge season $$ for it and say, "WOW! Look! Legacy content! WOW!" And the fans will eat it like a dog eating its vomit. It is honestly amusing at this point. Bungie can't lose with this fanbase. When they did their Witch Queen or whatever its called reveal and are going to charge $100 for that iconic rocket launcher thing I just laughed and knew the player base loved it. Imagine preordering FF14 Endwalker and you get your classes anima weapon XD
There is so much wrong with this post.
then they brought back VoG and old exotics
VoG is from Destiny 1 and the remastered VoG in Destiny 2 is free, literally part of the free 2 play version.
When they did their Witch Queen or whatever its called reveal and are going to charge $100 for that iconic rocket launcher thing I just laughed and knew the player base loved it.
Gjallarhorn is part of the Bungie 30th Anniversary pack along with a new dungeon and other stuffs. Ofcourse the Witch Queen legendary edition(100 usd) gets you all those stuffs anyway.
Then they will bring back Forsaken content a year from now when there is nothing to do and charge season $$ for it and say, "WOW! Look! Legacy content! WOW!" And the fans will eat it like a dog eating its vomit. It is honestly amusing at this point. Bungie can't lose with this fanbase.
Completely made up drama and then you complain about charging for Season pass.
Imagine preordering FF14 Endwalker and you get your classes anima weapon XD
While defending a game with a monthly sub from a company that made two destiny clones.

Top Bottom