• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 removing even more content

LordCBH

1) It's 3 year old content that literally no one plays anymore.
2) They are making all that old content free for new players a month before removal
3) It is not completely removed but inside a content vault to be re put in the game later down the line if suitable but updated
4) Content being put into the vault needed to happen as before hand loading times for everything and QoL patches delivery times were in an awful situation. This has been sorted now.
5) When old content is taken out, new content from the vault is put into the game, for example we've had a classic D1 raid and strikes etc
6) You literally can't buy loot boxes in the eververse
7) Actually make an informed post next time. Rather than ignorant drama.

no other online game gets away with this. It fucking sucks to remove paid content. Period. Id rather they move on to D3 and leave D2 intact.

Last edited:
There is so much wrong with this post.

VoG is from Destiny 1 and the remastered VoG in Destiny 2 is free, literally part of the free 2 play version.

Gjallarhorn is part of the Bungie 30th Anniversary pack along with a new dungeon and other stuffs. Ofcourse the Witch Queen legendary edition(100 usd) gets you all those stuffs anyway.

Completely made up drama and then you complain about charging for Season pass.

While defending a game with a monthly sub from a company that made two destiny clones.

I never said they charge for VoG. They brought it back as "new" content. B-b-but they remade it! It has new mechanics! Sure, dude. Whatever makes you happy.

My bad, if you only get the anniversary bundle, it is ONLY $25! I am sure there are going to be a lot of players that only buy the pack. Right?

I am speculating because they have a track record of removing content and then adding it back as "new." They will 100% re-add Forsaken content in the future. Let's not pretend they wont find a way to monetize it again too.

I am not defending FF14 or Square. I brought up that example because I was trying to demonstrate how silly it is that Destiny charges players access to LOOT in a LOOTER shooter. That is like charging players to play Darth Vader in BF2. No one should be okay with that. But Bungie? Oh, then its fine!

ZehDon

I stopped playing Destiny 2 when they did the first cull of paid content. As someone who pre-ordered the collectors edition of Destiny 2 Vanilla, Bungie are actively removing content I paid top dollar for. They're now removing even more content that I also paid money for. This is the only GaaS I've ever played that has actively culled paid content from its roster. Move it to optional downloads, stuff you don't have to have installed to play the current Seasonal content, ok, I can understand that. But stripping out paid content because Bungie has trouble managing it? Unacceptable to me.

Reactions: Gp1

LordCBH

think Bungie isn't concerned with getting new fans anymore.

Yeah that’s pretty evident by how absurdly bad the new player experience is. The New Light campaign is utter garbage and at the end of it your stuck doing strikes for PvP for hours until you’re high enough to do actual content. Removal of the Red War and year one stuff absolutely murdered the new player experience. It went from having a decent length campaign that gradually ramps you up and gives you gear to actually prepare you with an actual story to what we have now which is basically no story, no explanation of anything, and a “campaign” that doesn’t get you ready for any type of content.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yeah. The Spider was setting his shop in Reef calling himself "Shore's only law" while Mara Sov was absent and now she is back. He would have eventually left the Tangled Shore.

For me ("For meeeeeeee!") it's like going into FFXIV after years away. Restarted a character and Gaius is STILL the intro threat and the game world reacts as if he is, despite you knowing that can't be the case and now you have to wade through the timeline while others are dancing around in the modern era. For a MMO, it makes sense, especially one as narratively driven as FFXIV. For an online co-op shooter. No. Let the world be what the world is. Sure if you've been away for two years you're going to be wondering "Where the hell did Charlie the Barber go. . .!" but at least it adds importance to the events that take place in the world.

. . .that said, I can see why some people might be upset that content that was around when they purchased the game isn't easily available (though I'm curious, for those howling about this, how often they actually engaged with that content) but if they are at least aware of the issue and have left the door open to returning to old content somehow ("Chronal Rifts" anyone) that should ease some of the "you stole my content!" concerns (though when Destiny base game went free to play surely folks had to see something like this on the horizon).

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Isn't this considered theft?

Removing access to bought content... That's a new low for Bungie.

Will Smith No GIF

No its not, because they've done it before.

.hacked

If we are at the point that when anything ”new” is added something old has to be taken away maybe they should just make a Destiny 3.

Trogdor1123

Depends how they do it imo.

I'm not a fan of the removal as they will just sell it back to us later I'm sure they will which isn't ok. Or it will be "free" but everything will be locked behind passes or something. I'm thinking it's probably a fine time to wait on the next expansion.

Lots out there to play.

CuNi

I have over 1.2k hours on steam, who knows how many i had on battle.net.

I have been unhaply with the direction destiny is being taken since they introduced seasonal content. FOMA sucks. Removing old content sucks. Somehow WoW is 15 years old and still has all the the world's up to vanilla. Yeah they've been changed in the cataclysm but you still can go to tbc etc. It's all there. I really was a huge fan of D2. Had the special limited editions etc. But I am not going to get witch queen. I can't even advice anyone to get the game right now because since they removed the vanilla game it's just one huge grindfest. It's really a shame since the gunplay and world lore is amazing but if you don't want to be grinding 24/7 every season and every event, you won't have fun anymore.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I'm always surprised by the amount of people defending this.

I can't think of a single MMORPG/ORPG that actually deletes its old content on a regular basis. It's bizarre. I've tried to get into the game again a couple of months ago. I had originally played the main story when it first came out and I was surprised that they basically removed all of it. The game makes no sense for new players now.

It's just poor management as far as I'm concerned.
The MMORPG example was exactly what I had in mind - I can still start in the same zone in WoW as in 2005, X expansions later. It’s just a proof how incredibly shitty the code for Destiny is.

skneogaf

I stopped playing destiny 2 when they finished the dlc I bought and moved my campaign on to the new dlc or something so I had no idea what I was up to so I haven't and won't return.

2) They are making all that old content free for new players a month before removal
3) It is not completely removed but inside a content vault to be re put in the game later down the line if suitable but updated
4) Content being put into the vault needed to happen as before hand loading times for everything and QoL patches delivery times were in an awful situation. This has been sorted now.
5) When old content is taken out, new content from the vault is put into the game, for example we've had a classic D1 raid and strikes etc
cure GIF

DeaDPo0L84

This post sums it up. OP obviously thought they had a gotcha moment and looked no further than "bungie removing content" before hitting submit thread.

that's kinda the point of a "content vault", which ykno bungie have been clear about, so if you play the game today and are pissed off about it then that's your own damn stupid fault. stuff is removed as stuff is added. it's called rotation. destiny, if you don't know, is a live service game so it kinda makes sense. they ain't gonna keep ALL content in the game at once. anyway, if you actually PLAY Destiny 2 the content being removed wouldn't bother you.

educate yourself (and maybe try playing the game) OP before you try start a war.

Last edited:

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
It's quite hilarious how many people are trying to claim that the game is trash. Sorry to burst your bubble but D2 has one of the largest concurrent playerbases out there across all platforms.It's absolutely killing it. And no amount of your idiotic memes in response to my first post to the OP changes that. Nice try though.

If you haven't played since Season of Opulence or for that length of time then you seriously need to shut the fuck up with your BS. So much has changed since then its absolutely a different game.

Last edited:

Complistic

Abandoned this game as soon as they announced they were going to start doing this vault thing. i'm not buying content that I can have stripped from me later. Ridiculous and should be against some sort of law honestly.

Reactions: MrS

RafterXL

If we are at the point that when anything ”new” is added something old has to be taken away maybe they should just make a Destiny 3.
Exactly. If Destiny 2 is too big, just shift to Destiny 3. Hell, you can even let people keep their progress and characters. The difference is, we'd still have a complete game in Destiny 1 and a complete game in Destiny 2 for people who still enjoy that content. Right now Destiny 2 is a puzzle that's missing half its pieces. They've literally painted themselves into the same corner they did with the first game, only this time, instead of just accepting they need a new game they've chosen the absolute dumbest way to continue making content for this one.

RafterXL

that's kinda the point of a "content vault", which ykno bungie have been clear about, so if you play the game today and are pissed off about it then that's your own damn stupid fault. stuff is removed as stuff is added. it's called rotation. destiny, if you don't know, is a live service game so it kinda makes sense. they ain't gonna keep ALL content in the game at once. anyway, if you actually PLAY Destiny 2 the content being removed wouldn't bother you.

educate yourself (and maybe try playing the game) OP before you try start a war.
Go ahead and tell me all the other live service games remove paid content at regular intervals. You're literally pretending what they are doing is normal and then using that bullshit stance to act like other people don't know what's going on.

How about you educate yourself?

LordCBH

Go ahead and tell me all the other live service games remove paid content at regular intervals. You're literally pretending what they are doing is normal and then using that bullshit stance to act like other people don't know what's going on.

How about you educate yourself?

Seasons I expect to be added and removed. Absolutely no one should be defending the removal of paid content, which now adds up to over $100

I think vaulted locations should remain as an optional download.

And strikes and crucible/gambit maps should never be removed.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

1) strikes are on rotation, one is even the nightfall. Everyone plays it if you do pve stuff
2) wow makes me feel better for paying for it
3) nothing yet has rotated back, including exotics that were promised ages ago
4) game still gets fucked every other patch, didn’t fix much

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Nah. There are many valid complaints you can levy at Destiny but being a bad controlling fps isn't one of them. The reason a lot of people have stuck around is that the shooting feels so good.
Sure, if you compare to 20 year old Halo standards.. There's a reason controller players are shouting at 343 now, to implement deadzone slider. Tight controls are becoming a standard - praised be. Destiny still hasn't implemented a deadzone slider in settings - still the same 20 year old Halo standard.

There's a way to fix it tho'. Elite controller or strikepack, titan or likewise:

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Destiny 2 has once again decided that the current game just had too much content for people to handle, and that once again content that people have paid for must be purged before the player base implodes with access to too much choice.

This is naturally causing drama within the Destiny 2 Community, however I suspect after the first culling where the playerbase just shut up and continued to buy lootboxes within a week its probably what they want. Don't worry though all the exclusive items from the content will be purchasable in a pack for real money, priorities am I right?

If you needed a reason why GAAS is bad I don't think you need to look much further than Destiny 2.
As a huge fan LL 1355...
Bungie is just lazy.
How do you build a Star Wars like universe but keep removing locations?

1) strikes are on rotation, one is even the nightfall. Everyone plays it if you do pve stuff
2) wow makes me feel better for paying for it
3) nothing yet has rotated back, including exotics that were promised ages ago
4) game still gets fucked every other patch, didn’t fix much

I don't understand how you can say nothing has rotated back. VoG is back and they are bringing back another legacy raid in Feb. Not only that, VoG was updated with new mechanics and gameplay loops so it was not just dropped in "as is". I expect the same on whatever content returns.

My opinion on vaulting content is mixed on one side I understand not wanting or having the resources to continue maintaining a "dead zone" or content so I'm all for getting new stuff in that regard. However, I also agree that having content that I paid for being no longer accessible to me or even worse, making it free long enough to play through it and then removing it, doesn't feel good as a consumer or patron.

Let's look at a different approach, other companies will gladly (have and continue to) release, fundamentally the same experience year after year with prettier graphics or one new gameplay mechanic or a new mode what have you. I you consider this, Bungie is doing the same thing just in a more dynamic way. It's still Destiny 2 but Beyond Light is a different game than vanilla D2 was and I expect Witch Queen to be a slightly different game to Beyond Light. Not a vastly different experience but on the same level as whatever this years Call of Duty has brought to the table over last years iteration.

The negative of how Bungie does this has been painstakingly pointed out, the annual release downside? Splinters the player base even for a short period of time and once the older "content" (last year's release in this example) gets unpopular enough, the servers are shut down. Either cutting off access to part of the game you paid for or making it unplayable altogether. If you have ever played an MMO then you know there is a very good chance of this happening. Older Battlefield, CoD, or Halo games went through this and it will continue.

Which takes us back to the upside of how Bungie is handling their game. The community, for the most part, stays in tact, servers stay online and the players retain access to a lot of content. Not a perfect solution but neither method is.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I don't understand how you can say nothing has rotated back. VoG is back and they are bringing back another legacy raid in Feb. Not only that, VoG was updated with new mechanics and gameplay loops so it was not just dropped in "as is". I expect the same on whatever content returns.

Vault of glass was from D1, nothing that has been “vaulted” has been brought back. I was more referring to exotics that were promised over a year ago and still are not back.

edit:
also raids are cool and all but the majority of the game user base doesn’t do them (think they even said it’s under 10% in avg), taking away so many strikes and adding so little really sucks to me. We get less and less every year (4 taken out 2 added ect…)

Last edited:
Vault of glass was from D1, nothing that has been “vaulted” has been brought back. I was more referring to exotics that were promised over a year ago and still are not back.

Since they have tied vaulting to the lore, I fully expect that when the lore permits, the vaulted content like Io or Titan coming back will make sense. I expect the first thing back will be Leviathan since they have been mentioning Calus a great deal more lately. As far as the exotics, what are you referring to? As far as I'm aware you can get all of the vaulted exotics through the kiosk at the tower but you CAN NOT get the catalyst or in at least one case finish the catalyst since that mission was vaulted. I'm referring to the Whisper of the Worm mission, exotic, and catalyst.

edit:
I agree with the strikes but I'm part of a strong Discord (which we created) that raids all the time. So while I empathize, I can't relate. You are welcome to join us if you are still active.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
That game quickly became the ghoul that most personifies all that is bad with GaaS when the designers forget that games are supposed to be fun and engaging first, whale hunters second.

Top Bottom