• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Reveal Info Summary Thread: Trailers, Videos, Details, Screens, More

cLOUDo

Is the global ability the same in all subclasses?
Then they gonna remove the dodge in the Nightstalker subclass?

Z3M0G

The evidence about what happens to the sun is pretty mind-blowing... that must be something they really hoped people wouldn't pick up on this early. But I must say... it makes me pretty damn excited to play the story of this game.

I can't see how that can happen without wiping out the entire solar system, lol, but still pretty awesome :p

Edit: Leaked a year ago???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofhfCd1HYI8

Where did the "Shattered Sun" title come from??

Lom1lo

I basically never unequipped the exotic that let me shadestep so that's a solid bonus for me. Apparently there's a fairly lengthy cooldown on it though so that's kind of a bummer.

Well its a bit different than shadestep. The instant reload is superb and the cooldown isnt that big (arround 18 sec I think). The abiliteis of the other classes take much longer to recover.

Gator86

Well its a bit different than shadestep. The instant reload is superb and the cooldown isnt that big (arround 18 sec I think). The abiliteis of the other classes take much longer to recover.

Yeah, the reload is a great addition. Thanks, Overwatch. 18 seconds though? Woof.

Trakan

If you mean character abilities being "sets" instead of a true customizable mix and match... I think ultimately this will provide more variety since optimal Loadouts will be more situational. Whereas "fully customizable" in D1 has kind of meant "there's a single set of perks everybody runs".

Like, for a full year PvP was dominated by Blade Dancers running Arc Bolt, QuickDraw, Backstad, Hungering Blade, max armor and blink. Just a carbon-copied exact same pero tree for everybody.

With perk "sets" I expect getting a really strong perk will carry the trade off of not equipping another great perk simultaneously because it's in another set...so you'd be more likely to play around. We'll see how it works but that's my take on it based on the previews

I disagree, it will play out exactly the same here. One path will always be better than the other and players will choose that one. If anything, this just makes you run a shitty perk or something you don't want because they forced it on you.

Kyoufu

I disagree, it will play out exactly the same here. One path will always be better than the other and players will choose that one. If anything, this just makes you run a shitty perk or something you don't want because they forced it on you.

It looks like there isn't a single shitty perk in each cluster. I think this way could give them more room to give you good perks in your build because they can control your build and balance encounters around it, making it less susceptible to nerfs.

How it actually plays out in the long run we'll only know later on, but looking at the perks now, they seem more powerful than before.

psyfi

Banned
Yeah, the reload is a great addition. Thanks, Overwatch. 18 seconds though? Woof.
I thought that sounded bad too, but after watching a few videos I think it's fine. I'm thinking about the standard "search for an encounter, attack, fall back to recharge your shields" gameplay cadence in Destiny, and 18 seconds is short enough to cycle through at least once per encounter. Especially in PvE. You may want to be more thoughtful about your use of it in PvP.

anothertech

yAk0n8U.gif

Destiny already asks for a ton of suspension of disbelief on your part. I find it interesting that terraforming the moon, faster than light travel, and all the rest are any less plausible than standing up a solid surface on a gas giant.

Just make it a huge cloud city like thing with indoor and outdoor areas that the Vex constructed or something. They're researching some kind of mystery that's in the lower depths of the gas giant. Hell, that can be where the raid takes place.
Haha yes this.

Would love for a strike in the eye of Jupiter with eternal storm overhead in some research construct. Maybe a time travel element lol.

Trakan

It looks like there isn't a single shitty perk in each cluster. I think this way could give them more room to give you good perks in your build because they can control your build and balance encounters around it, making it less susceptible to nerfs.

How it actually plays out in the long run we'll only know later on, but looking at the perks now, they seem more powerful than before.

Right but I mean there will be perks from each tree you'd rather have. I would take 6 golden gun shots in PVE along with golden gun cooldown from precision shots/generating orbs but they're in 2 different paths.

Also throwing knife resetting with a precision kill doesn't really do anything for me.

Bold One

Byf was mad but Myelin sounded completely broken by the news.

I find the outcry over the lore to be kind of ironic. The grimoire had always been a stick many used to beat the game with due to the lack of story in the actual game. If the story in the game had not been a complete and utter shambles, the likes of Myelin, Byf and Wallen would not be where they are now. What ever happened to DBM Gamer? he just flat out stopped

Kyoufu

Right but I mean there will be perks from each tree you'd rather have. I would take 6 golden gun shots in PVE along with golden gun cooldown from precision shots/generating orbs but they're in 2 different paths.

Also throwing knife resetting with a precision kill doesn't really do anything for me.

That's the goal they had I suppose, there have to be some trade offs. Imagine having 6 Golden Gun shots with each precision shot creating an orb and lowering its cooldown. You would never pick anything else. Ever.

I think it's too early to judge. Exotic armor could actually give you one perk from the other group/cluster. Builds could get interesting that way.

Gator86

According to a post on reddit the cooldowns of the class abilities are :
Hunter ability: 17 sec
Titan ability: 34 sec
Warlock ability: 60 sec

That's way faster than expected for the Titan shields. Honestly, the class abilities seem like one of the biggest changes to the game so far. More uniqueness between the classes was something I thought was desperately need in D1. They all felt really samey.

N5gVtUb_d.jpg

Speculation on unannounced locations on reddit.

Mercury seems a natural inclusion, even if only for one or two missions. Fighting on a shattered planet feels like a Final Boss situation.

I would expect Mercury for Osiris DLC. I just hope they address the areas not shown that still logically be included as trouble areas:
- The Reef - where trials were stationed, plus a "ally" in the awoken. After all we did those favors for the queen in dealing with the Fallen traitors.
- Felwinter Peak - Was this and the cosmodrome hit? Did we clean up the fallen and hive there?
- Moon/Venus: Did we sufficiently clean up the Hive presence (doubt it, but hey why not. We've been to the depths of the moon and destroyed every vital piece there.) I doubt we cleared all of Venus, but just an updated will be all I'm looking for.
I expect Mars to come up at some point since it was a value to the Cabal enough to build huge bases there.

Trakan

That's the goal they had I suppose, there have to be some trade offs. Imagine having 6 Golden Gun shots with each precision shot creating an orb and lowering its cooldown. You would never pick anything else. Ever.

I think it's too early to judge. Exotic armor could actually give you one perk from the other group/cluster. Builds could get interesting that way.

Yeah, I can see why they did it. I think it should be a grid system like D1, but make all the perks great and make it a hard decision on what you actually want to use. It's the same with exotic weapons and armor. Barely any are actually worth using and a few of them rise to the top. I want it to be really tough to decide which one I'm going to use because they're all so good. Of the 3 exotic weapons revealed so far, I'd be fine without using any of them.

Thinking about it, it should really be that way with perks on weapons too. There should be 10 godrolls to chase after, not 1 or 2. Make perks genuinely worth making a hard decision for, like "what do I use?"

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I find the outcry over the lore to be kind of ironic. The grimoire had always been a stick many used to beat the game with due to the lack of story in the actual game. If the story in the game had not been a complete and utter shambles, the likes of Myelin, Byf and Wallen would not be where they are now. What ever happened to DBM Gamer? he just flat out stopped
Personally I'm not freaking out about it yet but I do hope we have some long form written stuff instead of just some side quest dialogue and and such.

molnizzle

Most people didn't outright hate the grimoire, though. They just hated that it wasn't accessible within the game itself. We just wanted a Mass Effect style codex.

Along with better story presentation within the game proper, obviously. But it'd be a shame to lose the long form narrative from the grimoire.

Also my score, Bungie. WTF did I waste all that time grinding for...

N5gVtUb_d.jpg

Speculation on unannounced locations on reddit.

Mercury seems a natural inclusion, even if only for one or two missions. Fighting on a shattered planet feels like a Final Boss situation.

I believe that Red Legion logo up there is a filter of sorts. When you press the button it allows you to only see things relating to that storyline. During the reveal there's a quick frame of someone using that menu while inspecting a planet. There are icons for strikes, story missions and raids.

The filter is going to make it easier to keep track of multiple story missions and side-quests.

Mercury is in the first game, though only after you complete a flawless Trials of Osiris card. We already know that the Winter 2017 DLC is Osiris related, so it seems like a safe bet that we'll be visiting Mercury for story stuff.

I don't think the other icons on the map are DLC stuff. I think they're off-planet story missions and quests.

That's way faster than expected for the Titan shields. Honestly, the class abilities seem like one of the biggest changes to the game so far. More uniqueness between the classes was something I thought was desperately need in D1. They all felt really samey.

Huh, that's weird, cuz now they're almost all roaming projectile or melee based Supers.

The class abilities are a big change up/differentiator and I actually think the roaming supers were always more fun so it makes sense to add more of those.

They're big in the sense that

All Hunters can dodge
All Warlocks can heal
All Titans can provide defenses

So now you'll see more variation of subclasses as opposed to just one element for the one ability

Conversely, all the supers look identical to one another now, so the choice between subclass doesn't seem as to matter so much as the choice of the class itself. It's frankly a sideways evolution.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Me and two of my friends are super interested in this as it's coming to PC but I've never had a good experience with P2P servers so I'm really worried about that aspect, it's almost unbelievable they've cheaped out on such an important part of the game.

Does anyone know where I can find a recap or the story explained post vanilla Destiny?
I can't find anything about The Taken King and the most recent story bits to lead up to D2

ethomaz

Banned
I think the beta date may be related to the 17177 glimmer they had on the Destiny 2 build at the event.
Possible... let's take the Destiny beta as example.

June 12 - PS4 Alpha
July 17 - PS4/PS3 Beta
July 23 - XB1/360 Beta

I believe it will something like that again without PS3/360 and PC Beta being a later date.

PS4 exclusive alpha a week after E3... PS4 beta a week early than XB1 in July.

Possible... let's take the Destiny beta as example.

June 12 - PS4 Alpha
July 17 - PS4/PS3 Beta
July 23 - XB1/360 Beta

I believe it will something like that again without PS3/360 and PC Beta being a later date.

PS4 exclusive alpha a week after E3... PS4 beta a week early than XB1 in July.
I really hope we get the "And the Beta is available tonight" at e3.

The evidence about what happens to the sun is pretty mind-blowing... that must be something they really hoped people wouldn't pick up on this early. But I must say... it makes me pretty damn excited to play the story of this game.

I can't see how that can happen without wiping out the entire solar system, lol, but still pretty awesome :p

Edit: Leaked a year ago???

https://www.youtube.com/watc h?v=ofhfCd1HYI8

Where did the "Shattered Sun" title come from??

If the sun gets destroyed I'd put my money on the light becoming a new sun for us in some way, shape or form with The Traveler being involved and some character or characters sacrificing themselves to ensure it happens.

Top Bottom