• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Reveal Info Summary Thread: Trailers, Videos, Details, Screens, More

psyfi

Banned
Always thought they resembled the Mondoshawans from Fifth Element
https://monsterlegacy.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/mondoshawans.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I ALWAYS THOUGHT THIS TOO BUT DIDN'T REALIZE IT TILL NOW

cool
[quote="Twilight Gap, post: 237854211"]They're big in the sense that

All Hunters can dodge
All Warlocks can heal
All Titans can provide defenses

So now you'll see more variation of subclasses as opposed to just one element for the one ability

Conversely, all the supers look identical to one another now, so the choice between subclass doesn't seem as to matter so much as the choice of the class itself. It's frankly a sideways evolution.[/QUOTE]
That's a really good way of putting it.

They're big in the sense that

All Hunters can dodge
All Warlocks can heal
All Titans can provide defenses

So now you'll see more variation of subclasses as opposed to just one element for the one ability

Conversely, all the supers look identical to one another now, so the choice between subclass doesn't seem as to matter so much as the choice of the class itself. It's frankly a sideways evolution.

I don't see any kind of evolution in that, in fact, it made not only all supers similar but even killed the choice and tactical use of them. The whole nerf classes perk trees got is just stupid. They literally killed variety.

I want to see how they work in a raid but so far it's not looking good neither an improvement over the current design.

Nothing will stop us from soloing Gary tho. :p

border

How far behind is PC going to be? Obviously it won't launch at the same time the console versions do, but will the PC version at least have timely updates that are concurrent with the consoles? It would be a pretty big bummer if every new patch or expansion lagged behind the console version.

Jblanks

Me and two of my friends are super interested in this as it's coming to PC but I've never had a good experience with P2P servers so I'm really worried about that aspect, it's almost unbelievable they've cheaped out on such an important part of the game.

Going off the connection of the first game, yea you should probably be worried.

Defuser

Does anyone know where I can find a recap or the story explained post vanilla Destiny?
I can't find anything about The Taken King and the most recent story bits to lead up to D2
Quick summary

Basically it started with the Dark Below DLC where the guardians travel into a dimension to kill Crota the hive prince before he can ressurect into the real world.

House of wolves is stopping Skolas a fallen who proclaim to be Kell of Kells from taking revenge on the queen of the reef mara sov. This expansion doesn't have a raid.

Taken King expansion which is Oryx the Taken King wants revenge for on the Guardians who slayed his son Crota so he brought his fortress to our solar system, he use his powers to 'take' the hive,cabal,vex and fallen and make them into a race called the taken. So the guardian kill Oryx in his physical form. Then the gurdian formed with 5 other guardians with is our the raid team and travel into another dimension to kill Oryx real self.

Rise of Iron expansion is the fallen of the house devil which we destroy in the sepiks prime strike in vanilla destiny. They use a lost tech virus called siva to augment themselves stronger. Siva is virus which the Iron lords sacrifce themselves to contain it, the main story involves lord saladin of the iron banner so we destroy siva at its core. Then the aftermath is the 6 man raid to destroy the remaining Fallen Siva.

After that its Destiny 2, the only thing that links Destiny 2 back to Destiny 1 is the Taken King expansion where there is a side mission which involves investigating a Cabal ship that crash on Oryx's fortress, the cabal ship has transmitted a signal back to the cabal empire....which is probably why the Cabal aka the Red Legion is attacking Earth and the Vanguard.

There was an interview where Luke Smith talked about split tuning where weapon damage buffs for something would be different in pvp vs pve. Not sure exactly what he meant by that. Hopefully they do the same thing with weapons in general that need it.

It's at the 33:10 or so mark in this interview.

glaurung

There was another Traveler? How do we know this? How far in the future is this, anyways? When did the Golden Age take place?
No, I did not explain it well enough. Here's the lore version.

The Golden Age took place shortly after what we currently consider modern era - so perhaps late 21st century, maybe early 22nd century. The mysterious Darkness eventually found the Traveler and the Traveler defended Earth in a valiant last battle. The shards that you saw in that video are most likely from that event. If you go and look at the bottom part of the Traveler we see now, there are pieces missing. Those are the pieces you see in the video. If we are lucky, we get to visit them in D2.

No, I did not explain it well enough. Here's the lore version.

The Golden Age took place shortly after what we currently consider modern era - so perhaps late 21st century, maybe early 22nd century. The mysterious Darkness eventually found the Traveler and the Traveler defended Earth in a valiant last battle. The shards that you saw in that video are most likely from that event. If you go and look at the bottom part of the Traveler we see now, there are pieces missing. Those are the pieces you see in the video. If we are lucky, we get to visit them in D2.

I don't have a link but I've read multiple interviews with Bungie developers that have confirmed that, yes, those are pieces from The Traveler we have in the current Destiny. We will be playing in those play-spaces (the EDZ) with them in Destiny 2.

Kyoufu

The current theory is that the Traveler's shard was Rasputin's doing when it attacked the Traveler to prevent it from leaving.

Carn82

Don't the gas giants have solid cores? Just make them floating islands in an enternal storm or something fun lol idk

current science is still debating if its truly solid or more mushy/liquid. But the pressure would be insane, I remember reading it to probably be something like 600 / 700 million pounds per square inch.

duhmetree

The current theory is that the Traveler's shard was Rasputin's doing when it attacked the Traveler to prevent it from leaving.

That theory was debunked

Traveler stayed and fought on it's own volition. Rasputin did have a last resort protocol to attack the Traveler but it was never used.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That theory was debunked

Traveler stayed and fought on it's own volition. Rasputin did have a last resort protocol to attack the Traveler but it was never used.
There's a lot of debate about it still. Both are interesting and I hope we get more info on it. How the Collapse ended and why the Darkness left is still one of the biggest mysteries in the Lore and I hope we get more insight into it in D2

UberLevi

Does we know yet if there's a minimum player count required to start a Clan in Destiny 2? I have one other friend that I play with mostly and we wanna make a two-man clan where we can cue up to help solo players run Nightfalls and other 3-player activities with us.

The new skill tree changes are a net benefit I think because it allows Bungie to balance a lot easier. MS5000watts had a pretty good video on it. Realistically there was not much actual deviation in end-game builds people used. If you look at something like fire bolt grenades, they were never all that bad...until you found the Viking funeral / ignite combination that was so prevalent during Y1 trials and resulted in them getting nerfed into oblivion. Now hardly anyone uses them. Because you won't be able to mix and match Bungie can (presumably) balance perk trees since they know it's a set combination of skills.

pantsmith

pantsmith

Thank you, that was much appreciated. Didn't have a chance to play Destiny on console, will be diving in on PC. Cant wait

It's not the best way to learn about it, but the Ishtar Collective (Imo the best Destiny lore resource) has a timeline of Destiny's story broken down into chunks, including each expansion after vanilla Destiny.

It has a ton of links to stuff to read over if you're interested, and I highly recommend it!

http://www.ishtar-collective.net/timeline

duhmetree

Yeah, to be clear: it was not debunked. Nothing is for sure about any of this, just strong interpretations made from (intentionally) vague information in the Grimoire. I'm way into the Grimoire, and think there are great cases to be made for both readings.

I AM ALONE I survived alone. I cast off the shield and I shrugged my shoulders so that the billions fell off me down into the ash. They made me to be stronger than them and to learn and I learned well:

IT is alone and IT is strong and IT won. Even over the gardener and she held power beyond me but the gardener did not shrug and make herself alone. IT always wins.

To me, this is pretty definitive.

edit- to clarify for some who dont know... I = Rasputin, IT = Darkness, Gardener = Traveler

FyreWulff

Does we know yet if there's a minimum player count required to start a Clan in Destiny 2? I have one other friend that I play with mostly and we wanna make a two-man clan where we can cue up to help solo players run Nightfalls and other 3-player activities with us.

We don't know but in the current Destiny you need at least 3 people in a clan for it to show up in the game.

We do not know for certain. Most models for Jupiter, for instance, suggest that at the very least, a solid core was present during part of its history.

current science is still debating if its truly solid or more mushy/liquid. But the pressure would be insane, I remember reading it to probably be something like 600 / 700 million pounds per square inch.

Ah, thanks guys. Cool stuff

Lemondish

I don't see any kind of evolution in that, in fact, it made not only all supers similar but even killed the choice and tactical use of them. The whole nerf classes perk trees got is just stupid. They literally killed variety.

I want to see how they work in a raid but so far it's not looking good neither an improvement over the current design.

Nothing will stop us from soloing Gary tho. :p

I disagree on two counts. First, I feel like there was very little variety in the current Destiny subclass choice outside of the Crucible. There's a clear best choice for challenging content, and then secondary ones that aren't and can't be as strong precisely because they have no tactical value. Second, I don't see how shifting those tactical benefits into the class rather than the subclass is a net negative. You have actually more choice now in choosing your subclass, even if that choice is less meaningful. That means class choice becomes even more meaningful.

But, alas, we've only seen the full breakout for three of the nine potential subclasses, so I'm not so sure we should be making any definitive statement about them being more or less tactically relevant.

Lemondish

I never considered us going to jupiters core but I always thought maybe we created some floating platforms in jupiters atmosphere, with some type of force field around the cities. That would have been cool

Could (or perhaps would) that be fundamentally different than Titan?

Yea but titan is on water. I'm talking about in the air. Just imagine seeing the crashing clouds move so fast across the screen.

Titans seas are liquid methane not water. At that distance temps are such that water is rock hard ice (not taking into account friction from Jupiter melting it like on several of it's moons).

The new skill tree changes are a net benefit I think because it allows Bungie to balance a lot easier. MS5000watts had a pretty good video on it. Realistically there was not much actual deviation in end-game builds people used. If you look at something like fire bolt grenades, they were never all that bad...until you found the Viking funeral / ignite combination that was so prevalent during Y1 trials and resulted in them getting nerfed into oblivion. Now hardly anyone uses them. Because you won't be able to mix and match Bungie can (presumably) balance perk trees since they know it's a set combination of skills.

Of course they did it for this, it's bad. They should have get rid of the idea of a unified balance and that would have fixed everything, but no, NERF everything.
They will find the same issue even with this new design, they need to get rid of the idea completely so balancing something for one mode doesn't fuck up the other one.

I disagree on two counts. First, I feel like there was very little variety in the current Destiny subclass choice outside of the Crucible. There's a clear best choice for challenging content, and then secondary ones that aren't and can't be as strong precisely because they have no tactical value. Second, I don't see how shifting those tactical benefits into the class rather than the subclass is a net negative. You have actually more choice now in choosing your subclass, even if that choice is less meaningful. That means class choice becomes even more meaningful.

But, alas, we've only seen the full breakout for three of the nine potential subclasses, so I'm not so sure we should be making any definitive statement about them being more or less tactically relevant.

If you translate that design to the current hardest challenges in the game, almost all of them would be impossible, and i'm not talking about a 6 man raid or doing a nightfall. Max DPS builds to destroy a boss, solo, 2 or 3 man challenges would be more dificult only because you'll be weaker, not because the challenge itself is harder or complex.

That's why i want to see everything in practice, everything aims to that scenario and that's not good for me, if they make the game easier i'm done, it's already too easy to make it even more simple and take out the depth of it.

Blunoise

Titans seas are liquid methane not water. At that distance temps are such that water is rock hard ice (not taking into account friction from Jupiter melting it like on several of it's moons).

Well either way it looks and feels like the ocean in the game lol. Even the Bungie team says so

Well either way it looks and feels like the ocean in the game lol. Even the Bungie team says so

Oh I know just being pedantic lol. I wanna see if they model Titans seas like they should exist, with lower gravity meaning bigger slower moving swells. Hopefully they don't have it just slosh around like our oceans. Then again they can't get gravity right in the game (among other things) so who knows lol.

Oh I know just being pedantic lol. I wanna see if they model Titans seas like they should exist, with lower gravity meaning bigger slower moving swells. Hopefully they don't have it just slosh around like our oceans. Then again they can't get gravity right in the game (among other things) so who knows lol.

I think the "teraforming" the traveller did made all of the plants' gravities like earth lol

Could (or perhaps would) that be fundamentally different than Titan?

I think so. Floating Islands would've probably be cooler looking and more fun for platforming than man made structures in the ocean, imo. Also they could probably do crazy things with storms.

Neolombax

The evidence about what happens to the sun is pretty mind-blowing... that must be something they really hoped people wouldn't pick up on this early. But I must say... it makes me pretty damn excited to play the story of this game.

I can't see how that can happen without wiping out the entire solar system, lol, but still pretty awesome :p

Edit: Leaked a year ago???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofhfCd1HYI8

Where did the "Shattered Sun" title come from??

Yea this was leaked sometime April 2016, I think it was. The leak was saying that the next Destiny would revolve around Osiris (and Toland? I think I read that on reddit somewhere)

The moment I saw 2 the quick glimpse of 2 suns during the gameplay reveal, I told myself " they literally broke the sun in 2?". Was this a literal representation of the leaked name Shattered Suns? Who knows...It's pretty cool though, even if it was just a nod to that leak.

Top Bottom