• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2: The Final Shape | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

aXcMb7Y6.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Destiny 2: The Final Shape

Platforms:

• PC (Jun 4, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Jun 4, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Jun 4, 2024)
  • Xbox One (Jun 4, 2024)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Jun 4, 2024)
Trailers:

Developer: Bungie

Publisher: Bungie, Inc

Critic Reviews​

EIP Gaming - Kelson Hampton - 9.5 / 10

The Final Shape campaign is the magnum opus of the franchise. It's obvious that the pacing of the story and gameplay were given an abundance of care, which elevates the entire experience. The story provides longtime fans massive payoffs, and succinctly wraps up the epic journey we've been on for so many years. Lastly, the new additions of the Dread enemy faction and Prismatic subclass made playing through the campaign a delight. I will say that as a whole, this campaign is the best in the Destiny franchise, and hearkens back to Bungie's golden age of campaigns in their Halo days.
GameSpot - Phil Hornshaw - 9 / 10

With a character-driven story and a focus on enhancing its gameplay on nearly every level, The Final Shape feels like what Destiny 2 has been trying to be all along.
God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 9.5 / 10

Bungie absolutely needed to stick the landing with The Final Shape, and by all accounts they've done just that.
Hobby Consolas - Álvaro Alonso - Spanish - Unscored

A ton of new features, very interesting gameplay mechanics, content to bore and, above all, a bullet of nostalgia that hits the mark: The Final Form is the perfect closure to 10 years of history and one of the best expansions of Destiny 2.
PSX Brasil - Paulo Roberto Montanaro - Portuguese - 90 / 100

Destiny 2: The Final Form is essentially the promised and deserved conclusion to a saga that began so many years ago. It mixes a very well-tied (even predictable) narrative, wonderful setting and the usual excellent gameplay with some important additions. It's the best thing about the franchise.
PlayStation Universe - Mark Kriska - 10 / 10

I liked to tell myself that I didn't believe in perfect 10/10 games. To me a perfect game is something everyone, unanimously, can say has no issues. No shortcomings. However, Destiny 2: The Final Shape is perfect. Everything that Bungie has done these past nine years has come together in a video game version of Avengers: Endgame. The stakes, the action, the quality of storytelling, and of course the emotion has all merged into the best expansion, no, game I have ever played. If you have ever in the last decade been interested in or cared about Destiny, The Final Shape is a must play. Period.
Push Square - Aaron Bayne - 9 / 10

Destiny 2: The Final Shape feels like a promise fulfilled. We can't help but think back to all of the late night sessions exploring iconic corners of this vibrant sci-fi universe, and digging into all manners of lore to help make sense of it all. And now, despite it's ups and downs, we have a gratifying end to the decade spanning Light and Darkness saga, that evokes all those memories in one big celebration. Destiny 2: The Final Shape is the hope and dream of every other live service game out there. It's a testament to Bungie's unwavering commitment to a riveting saga that defied all odds, and did exactly what it set out to do. This one is for the fans.
TheSixthAxis - Tuffcub - 9 / 10

The Final Shape is Destiny 2 back to its best for its grand narrative finale. It's the ultimate space wizards with a machine gun fantasy combined with emotional story beats and characters you truly care for. Despite all the odds, Bungie has crafted the perfect endgame.
Twinfinite - Finlay Cattanach - 5 / 5

Destiny 2 The Final Shape is a masterpiece of a finale to the ten year story of the Light and Darkness saga. With a powerful, moving narrative, exceptional character payoffs, inspiring gameplay and gorgeous visuals and sound design, it triumphs as an unmatched expansion for the game.
VideoGamer - Antony Terence - 9 / 10

The Final Shape is Destiny 2 firing on all cylinders, balancing a story of overwhelming odds with expertly paced combat and puzzles, all set in stunning environments. Much of the earlier complaints about the barrier to entry have been addressed, making for a seamless entry into the latest campaign.
XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 7 / 10

Destiny 2: The Final Shape mixes incredible environmental art, fun gameplay, and a compelling new subclass with a boring story full of predictable cliches. It’s not the rebirth of Destiny 2 that some were hoping for, but it’s still as fun to play as ever. If you felt burnt out this expansion isn’t likely to change that. If you want to ignore a disappointing story and enjoy a gorgeous new area to play through with a plethora of fun new toys then this one is worth checking out once the server issues clear up, if the $50 price tag doesn't scare you off.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I completed it myself this past weekend and it’s absolutely worth playing to see how they ended it. Completing all 34 chapters for the story is well worth it, and Bungie did a fantastic job.

It’s not perfect. Some encounters on legendary are truly annoying; especially solo. Not enough new enemies. The pacing is good though, and it has plenty of bosses to tackle.

The new area and art direction was tip top.

Overall it’s a 8/10 for me, and I still think Oryx was the peak for Destiny that they never managed to top.

clarky

Gold Member
I completed it myself this past weekend and it’s absolutely worth playing to see how they ended it. Completing all 34 chapters for the story is well worth it, and Bungie did a fantastic job.

It’s not perfect. Some encounters on legendary are truly annoying; especially solo. Not enough new enemies. The pacing is good though, and it has plenty of bosses to tackle.

Overall it’s a 8/10 for me, and I still think Oryx was the peak for Destiny that they never managed to top.
I lm just about to finish it tonight. I agree with all of the above.

i will say, im on PC and while at times it looks nice,it really does look like shit at points. Shame because the art direction is stellar.
Time to ditch last gen if the are going to continue as planned with Frontier.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
No. You can skip that giant piece of shit Lightfall. Nothing of consequence happens. Only thing worth playing it for is strand.
Noticed after I finished it they actually sell a boost for £16.75 (!!!)to skip Lightfall and give you strand instantly.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Seems interesting. But a big chunk of Destiny 2 is totally gone, right? I'm not willing to watch a bunch of YouTube videos to catch up with the story since Destiny 1.

Dynasty8

Seems interesting. But a big chunk of Destiny 2 is totally gone, right? I'm not willing to watch a bunch of YouTube videos to catch up with the story since Destiny 1.

That is the biggest "problem" with the game, being a 7 year game. They had to cut out a lot of the early D2 stuff to make room for the new stuff. It sucks I know, but man...this game as a whole...the movement, shooting, abilities, raid/dungeon mechanics, customization, challenge, music and art style (worlds all look amazing) are peak gaming. I'm usually very critical of games, but this is some of the most fun I've had gaming in over 35 years, especially with friends. Anyone who plays the campaigns, make sure you play on Legendary difficulty as it's MUCH, MUCH more fun and rewarding.

clarky

Gold Member
That is the biggest "problem" with the game, being a 7 year game. They had to cut out a lot of the early D2 stuff to make room for the new stuff. It sucks I know, but man...this game as a whole...the movement, shooting, abilities, raid/dungeon mechanics, customization, challenge, music and art style (worlds all look amazing) are peak gaming. I'm usually very critical of games, but this is some of the most fun I've had gaming in over 35 years, especially with friends. Anyone who plays the campaigns, make sure you play on Legendary difficulty as it's MUCH, MUCH more fun and rewarding.
Agreed with all of that except the last part.

The campaigns (Witch Queen and TFS) are rage inducing on legendary solo. In a group I agree, but solo the check points on the bosses are brutal and not fun in the slightest.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’m meh on it, the server issues didn’t help much and haven’t wrapped up the post story stuff to see the real ending. Playing for an hour and getting booted to orbit only to have to do it all again soured me a bit.

I enjoyed the campaign but the raid was absolutely amazing, up until launch I had zero hype for this dlc even though i knew i was going to buy it because I'm already invested in the franchise but Bungie actually delivered

Raven117

Gold Member
Yup, I enjoyed the whole experience start to finish. Great campaign. Great story missions (though some got a bit tricky, even on normal difficulty). Havent played the raid, but heard its outstanding. And the last mission is a banger.

It really does feel like this is what Destiny wanted to be from the very beginning.

Freeman76

You would think after 10 years and with all the money they have their servers would be top quality. Bought final shape earlier and havent even been able to try it due to 'increased server traffic'

Pathetic shit really considering Bungie been robbing gamers blind for a decade now

Dynasty8

Agreed with all of that except the last part.

The campaigns (Witch Queen and TFS) are rage inducing on legendary solo. In a group I agree, but solo the check points on the bosses are brutal and not fun in the slightest.

It's definitely subjective. I love the solo challenge and figuring the best strategies out. But yeah co-op legend is also a great time.

One of my favorite things this expansions/season are the new weapon archetypes as well. Strand rocket sidearm, auto rifle that heals teammates, burst stasis handcannon. It all feels very fresh.

Mr.ODST

Been playing after putting in over 100 hours in Lightfall and gotta say this is literally in top 2 DLC's, game just feels so much better with loot, progression and more

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Sorry to be a pain if already asked.

I haven't played for years....if I buy this expansion and just load up the game will it just feed me campaign missions for the whole Destiny 2 story until I complete it all. Does it wrap it all up?

I'm not bothered for raids or anything I just wanna play campaign co op to complete the story.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

StueyDuck

I Havent cared about destiny since like the first expansion...

Still funny seeing xboxera being the most down on it 🤡, at least from the reviews being shown here.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
It's definitely subjective. I love the solo challenge and figuring the best strategies out. But yeah co-op legend is also a great time.

One of my favorite things this expansions/season are the new weapon archetypes as well. Strand rocket sidearm, auto rifle that heals teammates, burst stasis handcannon. It all feels very fresh.
That sidearm is super OP but very fun.

clarky

Gold Member
Sorry to be a pain if already asked.

I haven't played for years....if I buy this expansion and just load up the game will it just feed me campaign missions for the whole Destiny 2 story until I complete it all. Does it wrap it all up?

I'm not bothered for raids or anything I just wanna play campaign co op to complete the story.
LOL no that would be the common sense way of doing things. Its super convoluted. I had to google "how to start the lightfall campaign" at one point. (although i had had a drink tbf).

Bond007

Debating if i wanna return after being away a few years now.
I've been done since right before Beyond Light. Worth it? Too much to catch up on?

Seems abit confsusing to jump back on at the moment

Last edited:

LordCBH

You would think after 10 years and with all the money they have their servers would be top quality. Bought final shape earlier and havent even been able to try it due to 'increased server traffic'

Pathetic shit really considering Bungie been robbing gamers blind for a decade now

Haven’t been any server issues outside of launch day last week, which was indeed a shitshow.

Quantum253

I feel out of the loop taking the launch of Destiny 2 was the last time I picked up the game. It was nice being day 1 for Destiny/D2, however. After seeing how this game went, I don't think I'd go with D3 (or whatever the new expansion is)

clarky

Gold Member
They won't kill it until they have a successor ready to fill the revenue hole it would leave. Be that D3, Marathon or something else.

To be honest im surprised they don't have D3 ready instead of Frontier. My guess is that's filler until the real deal is ready.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

They won't kill it until they have a successor ready to fill the revenue hole it would leave. Be that D3, Marathon or something else.

To be honest im surprised they don't have D3 ready instead of Frontier. My guess is that's filler until the real deal is ready.

I didn't watch the Frontier reveal because I haven't played TFS yet, but I was also wondering why they'd do another DLC and not call the next thing Destiny 3. So Frontier looks like a smaller expansion while they're working on a bigger Destiny 3 I take it?

clarky

Gold Member
I didn't watch the Frontier reveal because I haven't played TFS yet, but I was also wondering why they'd do another DLC and not call the next thing Destiny 3. So Frontier looks like a smaller expansion while they're working on a bigger Destiny 3 I take it?
Nobody knows but it doesn't sound small, talk between the online community suggests it will take place in a different galaxy.................................................

Last edited:

Arachnid

A little late to pull out all the stops. They've had X amount of expacs to not pull out trash. This just feels like bait for Destiny 3 just to keep people on the cycle.

clarky

Gold Member
A little late to pull out all the stops. They've had X amount of expacs to not pull out trash. This just feels like bait for Destiny 3 just to keep people on the cycle.
If you say so. Destiny has had its ups and downs but its been a great series overall.

tmlDan

I’m meh on it, the server issues didn’t help much and haven’t wrapped up the post story stuff to see the real ending. Playing for an hour and getting booted to orbit only to have to do it all again soured me a bit.
that was only a day one issue, what are you dealing with? seems weird

Raven117

Gold Member
I could easily see “frontiers” being as long as they need it to fill the gap to Destiny 3 (which I assume they are making). Hence why they are making things more “episodic.” They don’t have to commit to a story arc.

clarky

Gold Member
I could easily see “frontiers” being as long as they need it to fill the gap to Destiny 3 (which I assume they are making). Hence why they are making things more “episodic.” They don’t have to commit to a story arc.
My take also.

This will be stricly the "C" team on it from now on. AKA the lightfall squad. Doesn't fill me with confidence, I'll probably drop it again after im done with TFS.

Raven117

Gold Member
I disagree with "great", but I'm glad you've enjoyed it.
Oh. At times in has been great. But that greatness was mired with some baffling choices by Bungie.

When they get it right… the game sings (especially with friends) and is a blast to play. But that makes the bone-headed decisions feel even worse

Raven117

Gold Member
My take also.

This will be stricly the "C" team on it from now on. AKA the lightfall squad. Doesn't fill me with confidence, I'll probably drop it again after im done with TFS.
Yeah… this is pretty good guess. I’m sure they will tie in “frontiers” to ramp into destiny 3… whenever they are ready.

Top Bottom