• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2: The Witch Queen Is Already Pre-ordered by Over 1 Million Players (Releases in 2.22.22)

LordCBH

I was hoping there'd be some free campaign content to try out before committing, but I understand that's really no longer the case.

And won't this new campaign be a continuation of what's come before? Seems like I'd be lost, and that old content is no longer available.

Between now and Feb 22, the entire Forsaken campaign is free to play. Doesn’t help people after the 22nd, but it’s worth playing.

sainraja

I was hoping there'd be some free campaign content to try out before committing, but I understand that's really no longer the case.

And won't this new campaign be a continuation of what's come before? Seems like I'd be lost, and that old content is no longer available.
The new light campaign is free (it is basically an intro to Destiny kind of thing) — I was trying to get a friend into Destiny 2 who doesn't own the game and we played through that.
If you jump in now, you have until 22nd to play through Forsaken (free now). You can also still play Shadowkeep (not free).

EDIT
You can still jump in and catch up via youtube if the story beats are something you want to dive deeper into.

Last edited:

cebri.one

Didn't know Destiny was that big. I got into it a year ago but I left it after finishing the campaing and DLCs. Now I believe they are no longer available to make room to new content. It has some great attributes.

I dont think ill ever play Destiny. Seems like a time waster.

Ill deff buy their next game.

We assume its a shooter I guess? Seeing that COD is a flight risk?

Dthomp

1 million preorders praying this will be the time the game improves for the better and isn't just more mediocre mods and seasonal artifact, and two weeks in 700k of those million will be gone again. I really hope Sony steps in and sees that there is an audience that wants this game to be something they play every day the way D1 was, and sends the decision makers of D2 packing for good. Best thing about mergers and acquisitions is the chance to clean a little house and move people around.

still havent pre ordered as beyond light got boring so fucking quickly. im giving it one last shot if they still have that same boring ass grind then im out, i'll wait for the next bungie game.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I wonder if this thread would have existed 48 to 72 hours ago.

I only have two friends that dedicated tons of hours into destiny and both of them say it was the biggest waste of time they've ever put into anything. They both regret it now.

I hope bungie can really come up with something that's back to the quality of halo 3 or reach.

The shooting is still great in destiny when against pve...it still feels like that bungie magic but the pvp and story and everything else was just shabba.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
still havent pre ordered as beyond light got boring so fucking quickly. im giving it one last shot if they still have that same boring ass grind then im out, i'll wait for the next bungie game.

Beyond Light is the same as any previous campaign, but the Stasis power is cool and Europa is a great location.

Lognor

Banned
It's almost like all xbots became very fond of COD in a night, yeah?
I'm not an "xbot" but I own an xsx and I was excited. I used to play cod in the ps3 days but haven't played since. I like the games but not enough to spend $60. So it's a perfect game for game pass!

tommib

I tried playing this several times including last year when it was on gamepass but always felt extremely intimidated by it. Game looks impenetrable. I would need Warnen Warnen to hold my hand and I would kiss his knuckles.

Can’t wait for the inevitable Returnal X Destiny crossover though.

vj27

Banned
It's almost like all xbots became very fond of COD in a night, yeah?
Eh, everyone plays cod. That’s like me saying roblox is ass whilst ignoring it’s more popular and played than ALL OF favorite games. Credit where credit is due an all that. Or when they bought Minecraft which was huge to my 13/14 year old self but to someone in their late 20’s probably couldn’t give a lesser shit about. Doesn’t diminish how colossal that was.

I don’t think it’s xbots saying cod is goty I’m pretty sure the narrative was cod is a gaming ritual/phenomenon like Minecraft that Xbox now owns. Plus like, they got Spyro an guitar hero lol that’s literally all I care about, they didn’t just get 1 IP (granted a very successful one) like with bungie.

Idk if I’d classify destiny as a phenomenon, it almost was, shit it still can be. But I saw that with destiny 1 and I didn’t even play it, slightly less so with 2/over time at least. Either way Sony has their first MP studio and that’s all that matters.

sainraja

I tried playing this several times including last year when it was on gamepass but always felt extremely intimidated by it. Game looks impenetrable. I would need Warnen Warnen to hold my hand and I would kiss his knuckles.

As the Guardians say, the game isn't 'New Light' friendly right now but the new light campaign (free) is a good way to get a feel for it. The best way is not to worry about everything and go through it at your own pace since the guns are so fun to use. If you get into it this time, you'll pick up on the rest quickly.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

now I would buy that, sony inspired ornaments.

Kokoloko85

When does Destiny 3 come out? I'll try another iteration but I'm done with 2. I put a ton of time In 1, but two didn't grab me the same.

I put about 1000 hours into Destiny 1.
But Desiny 2 I didnt play for more than 10, I was waiting for more DLC to come but then I heard you couldnt play the older missions or something? So I just totally didnt bother anymore

Well, this is complicated as the story in Destiny is something ongoing and at least until the end of the light and dark saga, everything will be a continuation of what happened before. We've been hearing about Savathun, The Witch Queen, for years. She's right now in the dreaming city encapsulated in purple crystal and she'll most likely get free at an end of season event. And each season brings new story elements. And the story keeps moving on.

If you're interested I recommend Myelin Games and MyNameisByf, both YouTubers focused on Destiny lore.

Unfortunately Destiny isn't new player friendly.

FMX

Gonna buy it on a later date, just as a token of support to Sony.

Annotation_2022_01_31_142439.jpg
That makes your life better how?

is there any detail as to if this expansion will include graphically enhancements/updates as well? feel like the graphics, although nice, are getting a little dated. (playing on PC and next gen consoles)

wOs

I put about 1000 hours into Destiny 1.
But Desiny 2 I didnt play for more than 10, I was waiting for more DLC to come but then I heard you couldnt play the older missions or something? So I just totally didnt bother anymore
I used to get up at 6am to do dailies and strikes with people. Couldn't get enough.

Ogbert

Here’s the deal with Destiny 2.

The guns are amazing and the gunplay is without peer.

Also, the game is a grind and PvP is absolute dogshit.

It’s my favourite game and I love it to bits, but it’s not for everyone.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
You only see what you want to fit your "GAF is all Sony fanboys" narrative.

Where is your "somehow GAF now likes Call of Duty" meme?

I don't recall people ever hating COD. People always complain about the game towards the end of the COD year, then praise the new one for a while, then shit on it.

The only difference is people were shitting on Vanguard when it launched, but after the first season it's not that bad so it's in the honeymoon period right now. COVID delayed. Then the shit on COD period will start in July or August before MW2.

Banjo64

cumsessed
This you?
CuGC8kt.jpg
Yeah, so was this?

Not at all.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Bungie do jump in to bed with Sony though. It would probably suit both parties.

Destiny already has a large following, and it’s as mechanically sound and polished as a Sony first party game. It’s co-op centred too, which would probably appeal to Sony.

Destiny’s popularity would also only grow if it’s the major FPS available on the console with Sony’s full weight behind it.

Like, are you ok in the head? I was literally saying that Sony would be worried if MS were to buy Bungie. Do you disagree with that? Clearly Sony didn’t like the prospect of that, as they’ve just spent $3.6b on them.

I’ve always maintained that Destiny and Bungie are good, I’m not one of you bell ends eulogising over them all of the sudden because Sony have bought them.

What a spazzy post, and the people emoting it match you in the intelligence department.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I dont really care but since they are owned by sony now….

Sassy Mood GIF by NETFLIX
But shouldn't you care? Sony is spending money on something you don't like. There are opportunity costs. They could have used that money elsewhere. Maybe on a Capcom acquisition. But you're stuck with a developer that has one IP that you don't care about. But you cheer? ooookay...

Yeah, so was this?

Like, are you ok in the head? I was literally saying that Sony would be worried if MS were to buy Bungie. Do you disagree with that? Clearly Sony didn’t like the prospect of that, as they’ve just spent $3.6b on them.

I’ve always maintained that Destiny and Bungie are good, I’m not one of you bell ends eulogising over them all of the sudden because Sony have bought them.

What a spazzy post, and the people emoting it match you in the intelligence department.
Lol busted, but trying to dig your way out still?

ZehDon

Gold Member
It wasn't because they couldn't keep track of it all as far as I know. It was due to how big the game was getting and it was becoming harder for them to maintain and come out with quick updates/patches. They've got that part down to a tee now. The game has changed a lot and it is a shame that places are vaulted but the seasonal story and activities are pretty fun and a good rotation from one season to the next. For clarity, planets that are vaulted are not gone forever. They will be brought back at some point based on what is happening in the story of the game…
I’ll be honest friend, I don’t care what the reason is. I was there from the Destiny 1 alpha. I bought every piece of content for Destiny 2, and I bought the collectors editions for every expansion. And Bungie took the content that I paid full price for and literally removed it to make their jobs easier. Bungie’s practices are anti consumer, and I’ll never trust their BS again. I’ve never - ever - had a game remove content I’ve paid for. There is no justification.

Mr Moose

Yeah, so was this?

Some people are weird, they will flip flop when it suits them (like CoD/Bethesda games being good now which I have seen a lot on Twitter after they previously talked shit about them lol), if people are suddenly cheering on Destiny/CoD while talking shit about them before... They weren't fans, they are frauds.
I'm a Desiny and CoD fan, they do some dumb shit sometimes, removing stuff from Destiny like the story people paid for, releasing the same maps over and over on CoD (and making another boring ass WWII game, fuck Vanguard).
Nothing you said in your previous comment makes you one of those flip floppers.

Kagero

I bought the last two expansions during the Black Friday deal and I was sort of blown away by the game. Or course, as soon as I completed everything the mood quickly went back to,” been there, done that”. I think that’s my main problem I have with the franchise. End game stuff is a huge grind and the MP sort of lacks a hook.

zeorhymer

I played the game after the New Light expansion and been playing without any of the paid content afterwards. It really really sucks if you're not current with the pass.

Top Bottom