• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2: The Witch Queen Is Already Pre-ordered by Over 1 Million Players (Releases in 2.22.22)

sainraja

Before the shit with era, the Destiny OT was one of the most popular on GAF. Far larger than other games as I recall.

Regardless, the game has one of the largest and most active subreddits as well.. Over 2 million subbed.

Also, the daily active players is huge. Near a million players during the slowest period. That number skyrockets with the release of new expansions.

I've seen so many undermine the game's popularity and success just because it's not their cup of tea, but the game prints money for Bungie and is honestly very fun to play. The game scarcths a niche that many games today simply can't. I have yet to see an FPS MMO-lite with the same quality of raids, dungeons, gunplay, loot, PvP, PvE content that this game brings. It's a smart move by Sony.
It also has Discord communities setup and some clans have their own websites setup around it.

A little off-topic but if you like Destiny, you should check this video out:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Before the shit with era, the Destiny OT was one of the most popular on GAF. Far larger than other games as I recall.

Regardless, the game has one of the largest and most active subreddits as well.. Over 2 million subbed.

Also, the daily active players is huge. Near a million players during the slowest period. That number skyrockets with the release of new expansions.

I've seen so many undermine the game's popularity and success just because it's not their cup of tea, but the game prints money for Bungie and is honestly very fun to play. The game scarcths a niche that many games today simply can't. I have yet to see an FPS MMO-lite with the same quality of raids, dungeons, gunplay, loot, PvP, PvE content that this game brings. It's a smart move by Sony.
You are moving a ton of goalposts. Ethomaz made the claim that the greater GAF community adored Destiny. You can easily see that this was never the case. Just because a small group of people talk endlessly about it in an OT thread does not make it "one of the most popular on GAF". We can easily go back and check just how many unique users posted in those threads. We can also see how many threads greatly criticized and condemned Destiny 1, its expansions, 2 and *its* expansions.

Reality is blatant for all to see. Destiny has never been beloved on GAF.

I just wanna give a brief take in the context of this post.

I've played destiny once, on my old ps3 - the first game. I played through the first, sorta, tutorial.. in the crashed spaceship.. might have got to a first town.. didn't get much further.. nice gunplay, bullet sponge boss, yeah

My understanding of destiny 2 now, from pre-sony posts in the last few weeks, is that it's gotten better, that its latest expansion was its best, but it's not accessible to new players.
No. Forsaken is still often referred to as Destiny 2's Magnum Opus and everything after has been going downhill. The latest is the better of the post-forsaken expansions, but it still isn't that great.

What I've heard after Sony is, basically, "let's forget all about Halo, and just say Destiny is no good"...

I think xbox fans are neatly forgetting the fact that without Bungie the OG Xbox would almost have had no games to attract new players with. Okay, KOTOR, no worries that was great, but much else?
The Bungie that was just purchased is NOT the same Bungie that created Halo and its sequels.

Also they're neatly forgetting that they were howling about Infinite not being developed by Bungie a year ago.
343i has shown time and time again that it can't develop Halo or games in general. Even if the Bungie of current time isn't the Bungie of the past, it would still arguably be a better choice than 343i. Even at its worse, Destiny is a mediocre GAAS with rudimentary skinner box design and encounters that were out of date even back in Everquest's time. But at least it wasn't a broken, mindless, and blatantly greedy mess like Halo has been since 343i took the helm.

Based on metacritic scores not really.
If you try to rely on Metacritic/OpenCritic scores, any point you try to make is completely mute.

Tschumi

You are moving a ton of goalposts. Ethomaz made the claim that the greater GAF community adored Destiny. You can easily see that this was never the case. Just because a small group of people talk endlessly about it in an OT thread does not make it "one of the most popular on GAF". We can easily go back and check just how many unique users posted in those threads. We can also see how many threads greatly criticized and condemned Destiny 1, its expansions, 2 and *its* expansions.

Reality is blatant for all to see. Destiny has never been beloved on GAF.

No. Forsaken is still often referred to as Destiny 2's Magnum Opus and everything after has been going downhill. The latest is the better of the post-forsaken expansions, but it still isn't that great.

The Bungie that was just purchased is NOT the same Bungie that created Halo and its sequels.

343i has shown time and time again that it can't develop Halo or games in general. Even if the Bungie of current time isn't the Bungie of the past, it would still arguably be a better choice than 343i. Even at its worse, Destiny is a mediocre GAAS with rudimentary skinner box design and encounters that were out of date even back in Everquest's time. But at least it wasn't a broken, mindless, and blatantly greedy mess like Halo has been since 343i took the helm.

If you try to rely on Metacritic/OpenCritic scores, any point you try to make is completely mute.
Thanks for the wisdom mate, as i said in my post i don't think Destiny is going to be the chief benefit of this purchase, but just in its own, can you tell me what you think is right and wrong about the game now? What was different with forsaken?

A shame that these companies jettison their best contributors over time, but unavoidable.. i think Sony studios are very consistent, so i just think, again, we will see the best Bungie we could possibly see with this.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Thanks for the wisdom mate, as i said in my post i don't think Destiny is going to be the chief benefit of this purchase, but just in its own, can you tell me what you think is right and wrong about the game now? What was different with forsaken?

A shame that these companies jettison their best contributors over time, but unavoidable.. i think Sony studios are very consistent, so i just think, again, we will see the best Bungie we could possibly see with this.

Essentially Forsaken was to D2 what Taken King was to D1. It improved on everything that players had issues with, included a ton of content, better progression, an interesting story, and some interesting combat encounters (at least for Destiny Standards, which again is pretty damn low). Shadowkeep was... OK? It felt like a lot of retread from things people liked in D1 without anything really new or substantial. Didn't really fix or add much, just kept the status quo.

Things changed with Beyond Light. Bungie decided it was best to remove over 70% of the current content in the game. This royally pissed me off, even as a casual player of Destiny 2. I enjoyed the simple, straight forward campaign of D2 as well as the worlds on offer. Even if I found the raids and strike designs to still be beyond pathetically designed, I enjoyed the atmosphere. I enjoyed the art direction. I enjoyed the music. But now I cannot access the content to which I purchased. It is forever gone until Bungie decides its time to bring it back and have me pay for it again.

Some tried to argue that this is how MMOs are, which makes zero sense as nearly any MMO on the market doesn't remove that content. "But Cata!" some tried to claim. Cata overhauled the world. It didn't remove it or cause you to actively LOSE content. While we may not have the original Orgrimmar, we still have an Orgrimmar that is just as big, if not more detailed than the one before. That wasn't the case with Beyond Light. We just straight up lost large chunks of content for no good damn reason.

Anyways, since then we get "season" updates that bring back content we already bought or played with maybe some new minor stuff that ultimately means nothing to a casual player.

But yea, I don't see Destiny as the reason why Sony bought Bungie. I fully expect to see Bungie creating a new IP and Sony wants in on console exclusivity (with a PC day one release). There is zero chance in hell, regardless of what has been said, that Sony will allow Bungie to release new IPs on Xbox/Switch consoles.

Amiga

It also has Discord communities setup and some clans have their own websites setup around it.

A little off-topic but if you like Destiny, you should check this video out:

Wonderfull! This is the next level of high production "let's play".

Bungie should turn old content into SP campaigns like this.

I can see paid role play carries becoming a thing.

treemk

Banned
Essentially Forsaken was to D2 what Taken King was to D1. It improved on everything that players had issues with, included a ton of content, better progression, an interesting story, and some interesting combat encounters (at least for Destiny Standards, which again is pretty damn low). Shadowkeep was... OK? It felt like a lot of retread from things people liked in D1 without anything really new or substantial. Didn't really fix or add much, just kept the status quo.

Things changed with Beyond Light. Bungie decided it was best to remove over 70% of the current content in the game. This royally pissed me off, even as a casual player of Destiny 2. I enjoyed the simple, straight forward campaign of D2 as well as the worlds on offer. Even if I found the raids and strike designs to still be beyond pathetically designed, I enjoyed the atmosphere. I enjoyed the art direction. I enjoyed the music. But now I cannot access the content to which I purchased. It is forever gone until Bungie decides its time to bring it back and have me pay for it again.

Some tried to argue that this is how MMOs are, which makes zero sense as nearly any MMO on the market doesn't remove that content. "But Cata!" some tried to claim. Cata overhauled the world. It didn't remove it or cause you to actively LOSE content. While we may not have the original Orgrimmar, we still have an Orgrimmar that is just as big, if not more detailed than the one before. That wasn't the case with Beyond Light. We just straight up lost large chunks of content for no good damn reason.

Anyways, since then we get "season" updates that bring back content we already bought or played with maybe some new minor stuff that ultimately means nothing to a casual player.

But yea, I don't see Destiny as the reason why Sony bought Bungie. I fully expect to see Bungie creating a new IP and Sony wants in on console exclusivity (with a PC day one release). There is zero chance in hell, regardless of what has been said, that Sony will allow Bungie to release new IPs on Xbox/Switch consoles.

I don't think WoW's massive graveyard of content is doing it any favors. I don't know if what Bungie is doing makes sense either, but it seems to be worth trying.

Last edited:

sainraja

Wonderfull! This is the next level of high production "let's play".

Bungie should turn old content into SP campaigns like this.

I can see paid role play carries becoming a thing.
Yeah, the guy did a really good job. I think he did the voice over as well.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't think WoW's massive graveyard of content is doing it any favors. I don't know if what Bungie is doing makes sense either, but it seems to be worth trying.

It certainly isn't hurting it either. People have that option to go back and play said content and plenty of folks do. Hell, they designed content around going back to those areas to get special items. Transmog, toys, pets, mounts, achievements, etc. There is always a reason to play that content. Same with other MMOs like FFXIV.

The only excuse that I often see people say that even has a modicum of merit is that "It takes up so much space!". Then make it an optional download. Done. Fixed. Let people continue to play in those areas if they so choose. Its content they bought. The only reason they don't do that is so they can sell the content back to you because they are greedy cunts.

treemk

Banned
It certainly isn't hurting it either. People have that option to go back and play said content and plenty of folks do. Hell, they designed content around going back to those areas to get special items. Transmog, toys, pets, mounts, achievements, etc. There is always a reason to play that content. Same with other MMOs like FFXIV.

The only excuse that I often see people say that even has a modicum of merit is that "It takes up so much space!". Then make it an optional download. Done. Fixed. Let people continue to play in those areas if they so choose. Its content they bought. The only reason they don't do that is so they can sell the content back to you because they are greedy cunts.
I disagree, WoW is an overwhelming content bloated experience for new players. My nerfing every past expansion and making sure the rewards are worthless other than cosmetic, they've killed the gameplay. Being able to collect cosmetic crap in past expansions does not at all mean you can still play the content you bought.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I disagree, WoW is an overwhelming content bloated experience for new players. My nerfing every past expansion and making sure the rewards are worthless other than cosmetic, they've killed the gameplay. Being able to collect cosmetic crap in past expansions does not at all mean you can still play the content you bought.

You literally can still play the content you bought though. Its still there. It may be easier, it can be solo'd, but you can still always return to Black Temple if you so choose. Hell, if you wanted to you can create a team of smurfs to raid it.

There is a massive gulf of difference between that and literally removing the content so you can't play it anymore and selling it back to you months or years later. Really isn't difficult to understand or wrap your head around.

sainraja

^^ Yup. Their plan has been to continuously update Destiny 2. I mentioned this here a while back but they should rename Destiny 1 to 'Destiny Classic' and just refer to the main game as 'Destiny'. They can add on the names of the last expansion if they want to establish some type of differentiation (they already do this anyway.)

Plans can change but as of right now....there isn't going to be a Destiny 3. Or another way to look at it is, what we will have soon with The Witch Queen is Destiny 3.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Come on EDMIX, you're better than that.
None of that negates what i said about Destiny talk being a ghost town on this forum until a few days ago

Oh it does though, it shows that clearly a install base exist that plays this fucking game man, a base of users literally talk about this game lol

The talk being a "ghost town" is irrelevant as clearly we would all be talking about this huge deal, so to not talk about it a few days ago is logical, they were not part of a 3 billion fucking deal a few days ago either lol. Literally look at the COD Vanguard Review Thread, now look at the Activision threads.....stop Stuart. Someone can talk about COD after that buy out, not care about that review thread and still like COD, bought that game etc, not even I tell this forum 100% of what I'm playing all the time, I'm not out here fucking telling like hundreds of games or something lol If its relevant, then sure I'll talk about, but relax with this whole immature "bandwagon" crap on trying to attack users cuz vidya game.

I have 70 plus hours in Destiny 1 mind you, stopped playing when 2 came out, fuck you saying? I can't talk about this deal? I can't look back at Destiny 2 and consider the 3rd game or something like that?

smh

Fucking stop this shit man, stop attacking users on here as if they need to show you some Destiny badge or have permission to enter thru the Destiny Gate and get pass you or something lol I never did that shit when Activision was bought as who the fuck was I to demand some proof or act as if someone needs to "pretend" to like an IP that moves 25 to 30 million units? If they say they like it, I have no issue with it, fuck am I suppose to do regarding something so childish and silly? So too many played this IP to act as if majority of this talk is pretending.

Watch you put on a cop uniform and start asking for XBL info or PSN info to verify that one played, liked, finished and or viewed a game favorably prior to buy out, merger and or acquisition lol

giphy.gif

EDMIX

Banjo64 Banjo64 lol no wonder you are so butthurt over it. Chill you got CoD which I have never had any interest in. Now that they are team xbox I care even less

lol

I think its even funnier cause I think this deal caught many, many by surprise as like Banjo stated, they legit said "what if MS buy Bungie", but I think that is simply what Sony stated to themselves after that Zenimax deal, it was the expectation and I don't even think any of us would be shocked if MS bought them based on their prior dealings or something. I think Sony is focusing on some of those teams in the west to combat that Zenimax purchase along with other purchases for WRPG and shooters etc.

Its not to downplay that teams talent either, simply that Sony may have been planning to buy them much later, but needed to pull the trigger sooner cause that Zenimax deal. After Activision deal, Sony was probably like "I knew we was right to start this Bungie deal" lol So I just think a few are embarrassed as they thought the deal would go another way, praised Destiny and Bungie, now with this news they are trying to back peddle or something. i don't know really lol

With this pre-order doing these numbers, someone wants this game series still, so I don't think too many should even question why Sony bought them at this point.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I can't look back at Destiny 2 and consider the 3rd game or something like that?
I was there when the OG DestinyGAF was established, I left when shit got boring and repetitive. I am willing to give Destiny 3 another shot since it's PlayStation now
They said there won't be a Destiny 3 instead the future of Destiny will be built on Destiny 2. Beyond Light was supposed to be Destiny 3. Its also speculated that Destiny 2 might end with Final Shape, I think Jason Schreier or someone commented that the original 10 year story(the one made by Joseph Staten which Jason Jones wanted to scrap but the new hired writers put it in the Grimoire cards anyway) ends with Final Shape.

lol

I think its even funnier cause I think this deal caught many, many by surprise as like Banjo stated, they legit said "what if MS buy Bungie", but I think that is simply what Sony stated to themselves after that Zenimax deal, it was the expectation and I don't even think any of us would be shocked if MS bought them based on their prior dealings or something. I think Sony is focusing on some of those teams in the west to combat that Zenimax purchase along with other purchases for WRPG and shooters etc.

Its not to downplay that teams talent either, simply that Sony may have been planning to buy them much later, but needed to pull the trigger sooner cause that Zenimax deal. After Activision deal, Sony was probably like "I knew we was right to start this Bungie deal" lol So I just think a few are embarrassed as they thought the deal would go another way, praised Destiny and Bungie, now with this news they are trying to back peddle or something. i don't know really lol

With this pre-order doing these numbers, someone wants this game series still, so I don't think too many should even question why Sony bought them at this point.

I have theories and speculations but I am hyped for the results of Bungie acquisition. I think SONY is indeed trying to make more money with hopefully an interesting or innovative take on live services games as the means to fund more single player exclusives for PS5.

I am not a fan of live services but I do play them especially those MMOs on mobile (ie: Seven Knights II, Dragon Raja, Chimeraland, MGCM and etc) if something of an epic scale can be introduced on PS5 I'm all in for it. I just hope the P2W aspect of these live services games will be controlled tremendously or non-existant. If SONY can come up with a space mmo like Star Citizen or GTA Online in space per say then I'm all for it. Take my money
I have theories and speculations but I am hyped for the results of Bungie acquisition. I think SONY is indeed trying to make more money with hopefully an interesting or innovative take on live services games as the means to fund more single player exclusives for PS5.

I am not a fan of live services but I do play them especially those MMOs on mobile (ie: Seven Knights II, Dragon Raja, Chimeraland, MGCM and etc) if something of an epic scale can be introduced on PS5 I'm all in for it. I just hope the P2W aspect of these live services games will be controlled tremendously or non-existant. If SONY can come up with a space mmo like Star Citizen or GTA Online in space per say then I'm all for it. Take my money

Last edited:
They said there won't be a Destiny 3 instead the future of Destiny will be built on Destiny 2. Beyond Light was supposed to be Destiny 3. Its also speculated that Destiny 2 might end with Final Shape, I think Jason Schreier or someone commented that the original 10 year story(the one made by Joseph Staten which Jason Jones wanted to scrap but the new hired writers put it in the Grimoire cards anyway) ends with Final Shape.

In that case, I'll wait for the new ip. Whatever, they have cooking, they have my support when it's ready. It doesn't even need to be a CoD killer like what some people are claiming it to be. Give me more space games. We need more Space MMOs and RPGs on PlayStation imo!

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
lol

Agree with all of this, but just to point out that I’m not downplaying Bungie. I think they’re top tier. Just pointing out that the sudden upswing in support amongst a lot of other people is funny.

EDMIX

Agree with all of this, but just to point out that I’m not downplaying Bungie. I think they’re top tier. Just pointing out that the sudden upswing in support amongst a lot of other people is funny.

ohhh I understand, as others jumping on the bandwagon or something. No worries 64, my fault for jumping the gun. We are bound to see that on all sides as these buy outs continue.

People better start making those statements now.

I'm going to be on that fucking fence like "let me be the first to say how much I love Kojima games, but not too much love, like they are ok, best, sorta, could be, take it or leave it, he spend too much and a liability, talk to me next week"

Sony buys Kojima Productions

Me being a fuckboi "you mean Sony buys da GOAT, never doubted the muthafucka" lol

sainraja

Oh it does though, it shows that clearly a install base exist that plays this fucking game man, a base of users literally talk about this game lol

The talk being a "ghost town" is irrelevant as clearly we would all be talking about this huge deal, so to not talk about it a few days ago is logical, they were not part of a 3 billion fucking deal a few days ago either lol. Literally look at the COD Vanguard Review Thread, now look at the Activision threads.....stop Stuart. Someone can talk about COD after that buy out, not care about that review thread and still like COD, bought that game etc, not even I tell this forum 100% of what I'm playing all the time, I'm not out here fucking telling like hundreds of games or something lol If its relevant, then sure I'll talk about, but relax with this whole immature "bandwagon" crap on trying to attack users cuz vidya game.

I have 70 plus hours in Destiny 1 mind you, stopped playing when 2 came out, fuck you saying? I can't talk about this deal? I can't look back at Destiny 2 and consider the 3rd game or something like that?

smh

Fucking stop this shit man, stop attacking users on here as if they need to show you some Destiny badge or have permission to enter thru the Destiny Gate and get pass you or something lol I never did that shit when Activision was bought as who the fuck was I to demand some proof or act as if someone needs to "pretend" to like an IP that moves 25 to 30 million units? If they say they like it, I have no issue with it, fuck am I suppose to do regarding something so childish and silly? So too many played this IP to act as if majority of this talk is pretending.

Watch you put on a cop uniform and start asking for XBL info or PSN info to verify that one played, liked, finished and or viewed a game favorably prior to buy out, merger and or acquisition lol

giphy.gif
I was going to say something similar yesterday and wrote it all out but then I thought it wasn't worth it.
People that want to push that narrative will continue to do so — their motivations are clear as day. Destiny 2 has so many different channels for people that play the game on a regular basis to discuss that you don't really need to come here on GAF to earn your "discussing D2 prior to specific event" badge. lol. That is such a silly thing to push that I can't believe some people are. I just don't get it — for me it's been my main co-op online game and I am glad to see the game getting more visibility due to this.

It should surprise no one that the acquisition and the fact that 'The Witch Queen' is soon to be releasing that it will generate conversation around the game again but I guess it is more fun for them to push their own narrative for their console warring needs or maybe its not that but there is definitely some kind of bias at play.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
What do I need to buy to get in to Destiny 2?

The Legendary Edition includes Shadow Keep, Forsaken and Beyond Light. Are all of those expansions still relevant? Do I need them for PVP content?

Also, if I buy the expansions on PS5 can I play everything without needing PS Plus?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

The Legendary Edition includes Shadow Keep, Forsaken and Beyond Light. Are all of those expansions still relevant? Do I need them for PVP content?

Also, if I buy the expansions on PS5 can I play everything without needing PS Plus?

I think I bought all the expansions despite barely playing any. My sister and most of my interesting friends are Destiny addicts and I really hate the grind. Gunplay is sharp and solid though but I get bored pretty fast from doing similar shit. Same with The Division as well.

Back to your question, I think you need PS Plus for the expansions? Not sure, really? Maybe not? Never ran out of PS Plus since it became a thing.

cebri.one

Forsaken is free, at least the campaign, as it is being vaulted the 22nd.

I find it funny when ppl don't understand that just cause YOU don't care about a game... that doesn't mean there are others that do. I'm pretty sure they're the same ppl who are surprised when "their" game is not cared for by others. They're so shocked and confused when someone is not into their game. There's a level of self awareness that seems to be missing.

I don't care for Zelda BOTW... but I understand it's a beloved game that a lot of ppl really love. Trash game? Nope, it just wasn't for me.

OT: I fell off Destiny 2 a few years ago, I got tired of the way they were doing story and certain missions... but apparently, SkillUp (aka ShillUP lol) says it's one of his top games of 2021. He's been on Destiny 2 since day one, kinda hated it for a little bit, but claims that it's gotten a lot better in the past couple years.

Last edited:

Tomeru

I would suggest you either start with the basic and buy the legendary edition that is surely coming with the witch queen (or whatever edition it'll be), or just wait for the witch queen. Bungie releases a bundle whenever a big expension comes out.

I wouldnt buy anything now this close to twq. Unless its dirt cheap and you dont mind.

Dude, I jumped in a day ago... I was so confused. I guess I finished all the year 1 stuff and I basically have to get the expansions for anymore story content. I'm waiting for an ULTIMATE Expansion pack or something. I'm afraid I'm going to buy the wrong expansion.

sainraja

Here is a video you can watch if you are looking to jump in and haven't tried it at all before. The New Light campaign is a good start without spending any money right now.
newer video:

[MEDIA=youtube]LixYuJw9jjE[/MEDIA]

Forsaken will be gone after the 22nd and is FREE right now. Shadowkeep and Beyond Light are still relevant and obviously cost money. Any exotics that you may have missed at this point are obtainable from the Monument of Light (does require a little grind — you will get 3 Forsaken Ciphers to get 3 exotics of your choice from the Forsaken campaign if you do purchase the legendary edition → get the Ace of Spades). As for PS+, you should be able to do all solo activities without needing PS Plus. Unless Bungie has changed it, you will need it for Crucible and any matchmaking activity. (I have plus so that is why I can't verify for you but that is how it was last I remember.)

Crucible is the only PVP mode in the game and you can take any gun you have there and outside of Trials of Osiris your level doesn't matter (in other Crucible modes).

If you do purchase it now.....do Presage as soon as you can. Really awesome mission in the game and you will unlock Dead Man's Tale (awesome scout rifle). After the 22nd, the mission is going and the gun will become available through Xur (exact date is unknown — a couple weeks.)

Last edited:

TheMan

What the best source for a story recap? Trying to catch up by playing the game itself is a fool's errand

cebri.one

What the best source for a story recap? Trying to catch up by playing the game itself is a fool's errand
Wiki. Sadly the original campaigns are no longer available, I'm hoping that the 3.6 billion are used to improve Destiny's engine and device a way to bring them back. It's true that the game was getting a bit cluttered but there are ways to maintain the campaigns in.

Shubh_C63

This game works perfectly if you don't have time, I don't know why people farm so much in this game. For 20$ an year the content seems less but fair.

Top Bottom