• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destroy All Humans! 2 - Reprobed Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

egs-destroyallhumans2reprobed-blackforestgames-g1a-00-1920x1080-eb8cb5212867.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Destroy All Humans! 2 - Reprobed

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Aug 26, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Aug 26, 2022)
  • PC (Aug 26, 2022)
Trailers:

Developer: Black Forest Games

Publisher: THQ Nordic

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 69 average - 48% recommended - 23 reviews

npVYeNq.jpg

Metacritic - 70 average - 18 reviews

tBWx6yY.jpg

Critic Reviews​

ACG - Jeremy Penter - Buy
"An excellent port of an old game into the future with great graphics and good performance. Very happy to see this one get the time it needed to deliver a title worth visiting or revisiting now."

But Why Tho? - Mick Abrahamson - 6 / 10
Destroy All Humans! 2 – Reprobed shows this cult classic did not age well. Beyond dialogue, updates to gameplay and graphics feel hollow when game-breaking bugs are still prevalent…That isn’t to say you won’t find fun here. But that fun may just be restricted to a 10-12 hour jaunt through memory lane.

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 75 / 100
Quote not yet available

ComingSoon.net - Michael Leri - 6 / 10
Destroy All Humans 2 - Reprobed is better than the first remake on paper, but Reprobed’s advancements are severely diminished because of its repetitive nature.

Cultured Vultures - Ash Bates - 6 / 10
Destroy All Humans! 2 - Reprobed brings the original title into the modern age, and while the gameplay is massively improved, some bad ideas, dated jokes, and an abundance of glitches mar the overall experience.

GameGrin - Mike Crewe - 7 / 10
Whilst the updated visuals and much improved control scheme are welcome touches, the cracks start to show quickly as it doesn't do anything to improve on the PS2 original's gameplay. However, this is still an easy one to recommend if you fancy something simple, but fun.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 7 / 10
Quote not yet available

Gaming Nexus - Elliot Hilderbrand - 6.5 / 10
Destroy All Humans! 2 - Reprobed looks and sounds great, like a well-made game from 2022 should. The issues start to arise with the gameplay. Open world maps feel small, missions are short, and the story lacks depth. I never hated my time spent with Reprobed; it started as pushing a pea up a hill but felt like heaving a boulder up a mountain by the end. There are times when I like to think back to being a 13-year-old boy who finds fart jokes amusing; you just don't see games with the same raunchiness to them as you did back in my youth Destroy All Humans! 2 - Reprobed has kept that level of humor, for better or worse.

GamingBolt - John Cantees - 7 / 10
Destroy All Humans! 2: Reprobed has been brushed up nicely despite some inconsistent performance and prolific bugs.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 8 / 10
Destroy All Humans 2! - Reprobed is a chaos-induced joyride through various cities on Earth, using plenty of weapons to get the job done. Some of the humour feels outdated, but there's no denying the fun to be had causing tons of destruction.

Hardcore Gamer - Chris Shive - 3 / 5
Like many of the B-movies that inspired it, Destroy All Humans! 2 – Reprobed isn't something that will be considered great by a general consensus, but does have a certain appeal to the right audience.

IGN Italy - Davide Ambrosiani - Italian - 7 / 10
The judgment on Destroy All Humans 2: Reprobed is very similar to that given for the remake of the first episode, two years ago: a game that under a renewed graphics doesn't bring anything new compared to its original incarnation. A nice and light pastime for those who miss the series or for those who have never approached it. Excessive ease is its biggest flaw, because it leaves wide prairies to boredom when you realize that it all boils down to a series of tasks to be done with the brain off, and comic skits that make the cinema verse of the '50 and '60.

Movies Games and Tech - Daniel Waite - 8.5 / 10
Destroy all Humans! 2 - Reprobed is an amusing smutty title. You must control Crypto and seek revenge against the KGB. En route, you encounter some weird and eclectic people. Befriend some of them, but leave behind the people that hold you back.

One More Game - Vincent Ternida - Buy
Destroy All Humans! 2 - Reprobed is a fun romp now as it was back in the day. The charm of the game is easily felt, and going through its varied arsenal to explore its many different areas is certainly a highlight. THQ Nordic has preserved the content of the game while giving Crypto a facelift to modernize the series.
The humor may not work for everybody, but given the chance, it is a fun game that you can clear over the weekend by yourself or with a friend. Destroy All Humans! 2 - Reprobed is a breath of fresh air, and while it doesn't attempt to do anything needlessly clever, it is an honest game doing what it does best: to entertain.

Press Start - Adam Ryan - 7 / 10
When looking at the original release, Destroy All Humans 2! improved on its predecessor in almost every way. For the most part, this rings true with Reprobed, with the visual and mechanical overhaul bringing it into the modern scene. Still, the rough technical issues and poorly aged missions may have newcomers shying away.

Push Square - John Cal McCormick - 4 / 10
It's apt that the character you play as in Destroy All Humans! 2: Reprobed is named Crypto. Like crypto, the game is an interesting idea on paper, but we don't really need it, we don't want to hear about it, it keeps crashing, and if you invest any money into it then you're probably going to end up with buyer's remorse.

SECTOR.sk - Branislav - Slovak - 8 / 10
Successful remake full of action, humor and crazy situations. The only thing we can criticize is too much similarity with the first game, but that was already the problem of the original from the past. However, we can still talk about one of the most unique action games in many years, and the eye-catching alien can still teach a lesson to the younger human heroes who were born after him.

Saving Content - Scott Ellison II - 4 / 5
Destroy All Humans! 2 – Reprobed prioritizes fun first, and everything else after. It repeats a lot of the same notes and themes of the first game, which in turn make it a little less humorous this time around, but it’s hard to deny the charm Crypto exudes. With this being the 16th anniversary of Destroy All Humans! 2, there’s no better time to play this, and I’m likely to go and complete all the side activities for. Destroy All Humans! 2 – Reprobed is offers a sandbox full of toys that compliments its destructive nature, a great way to unwind this back to school season.

The Beta Network - Samuel Incze - 8 / 10
Destroy All Humans! 2 does a great job of faithfully recreating the world that captivated so many fans back in 2006! The gameplay mechanics have been refined to make some aspects, particularly the psychokinesis, feel a lot more natural and slick to execute. The massive overhaul to the visuals makes the game look fantastic on modern hardware, whilst still keeping the semi-cartoony art style that was present in the original.

Twinfinite - John Esposito - 4 / 5
Quote not yet available

WayTooManyGames - Leonardo Faria - 7.5 / 10
The remake of Destroy All Humans 2 takes what worked in the previous remake and polishes things up to remove a good chunk, but not all, of the jank that made its predecessor feel a tad bit disappointing at times. It’s still short, and it’s nowhere near as feature-filled as other open world games in the market, but there’s nothing else that looks and feels like this delightfully dumb title out there.

Gaming instincts (@Elder Legend ) - 7.5/10.0 - Video
Overall, Destroy All Humans 2 Reprobed is a decent remake. It's nothing too special but nothing too bad either. I would probably say it's better than an average remake. The biggest win for me here is that they've stuck with good performance over better visuals, kept the soul of the original source material, and it plays like the original but with far better visuals and some small gameplay improvements. Voice acting is also solid, and the dialogue is a breath of fresh air. While it does has its cringe here and there, it's still funny and goofy in its own way.

Worth Playing - Cody Medellin - 7 / 10
Destroy All Humans! 2 - Reprobed will appeal to fans of the original and a more niche audience that craves destruction without caring that the plot isn't too cohesive. Others who will be aficionados are players who like mayhem on foot rather than from a flying saucer and appreciate gameplay improvements, even if they make the title much easier. It's a fun experience for everyone who's willing to check it out, especially with the title's relatively low price point compared to many other PS5 games.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 6.5 / 10
As a remake of a 2006 title is one of the best looking to date. It doesn’t add or change much to the overall package but if you’re looking for some good fun, especially with a friend, then Destroy All Humans! 2 – Reprobed is worth picking up if the price is right.

Last edited:

rubhen925

Game is a great remake, but I'd recommend getting the PC version, incase people hate screen tearing on the PS5. 70% of my time with the game had screen tearing. It was ticking me off lol.

I had a ton of fun with it. Not sure about some of these reviews hating it. It's a classic

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Game is a great remake, but I'd recommend getting the PC version, incase people hate screen tearing on the PS5. 70% of my time with the game had screen tearing. It was ticking me off lol.

I had a ton of fun with it. Not sure about some of these reviews hating it. It's a classic

Its really that bad? I can't abide tearing personally so I think I'll get it on PC and tweak it to get locked fps with v-sync on. Its also £22 on PC vs. £35 on PS5 PSN.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Reviews seem in line with the original, I really had fun with the remake of the first game, will definitely give this one a shot but maybe not at full price.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Its pretty crazy really that the devs remade 5 open worlds essentially, and they are all large and great looking.
They also look better than Saints Row's one shitty open world.

The devs sure put in some work.

Already is. Reading some of these "reviews" and its crying about how "out of date" the jokes are.
FFS just have fun you bunch of fun sponge fuckwits.
Our review actually specifically says the old school stuff is a great refresher that you don't see a lot these days including the dialogue.

But yes most so called "journos" will find a way to get butthurt over the dialogue.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Started this tonight. I love the chunky aesthetic of the game. Looks and runs about as good as the first one.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Purchased and loving it. I never played it on ps2 but loved the original remake. They priced it fair unlike some other bullshit artist(cough*the last of us $70 price*cough)

Fun game with a interesting story.

MacReady13

Really enjoying it. Shows that a budget game on next gen consoles can be so much fun without having to pay a fortune OR it costing a fortune to make.

adamsapple

Oh man this game is so buggy .. anyone else experiencing a lot of hitching and bugs ?

Top Bottom