• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destruction Allstars | Technical Review & Performance | PS5 | NXGAMER

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

- Resolution 3200x1800 to 2304x1296 with TAA RC
- Cannot maintain steady 60FPS when screen is busy (like explosions for example which are quite often being shown) dips to 50ties, can to 40ties in worst can scenario
- No RT, employs high-quality cube maps
- Good implemtation of Dualsense

In other words typical PS+ fodder

CONTENT WARNING: Shitty design of characters

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I don't really know, for me just the art style and characters are off-puting design wise, just like for example Bleeding Edge.
Yes it's absolutely awful. Also reminds me of Onrush's characters, although it wasn't as bad in that game. At least the best characters in the game (Bluefang, Ultimo, Fuego) aren't that bad to look at.

M1chl

Yes it's absolutely awful. Also reminds me of Onrush's characters, although it wasn't as bad in that game. At least the best characters in the game (Bluefang, Ultimo, Fuego) aren't that bad to look at.
I like onRush tho, it's a fun game, I think there was just a goofy dances, otherwise it was fine and in any case, you don't see them really that often. Also onRush whole menu with VA and animation was pretty badass : )

M1chl

Just buy wreckfest, very enjoyable shoot the shit racer with friends and a enjoyable racer over all.
Just download it from the GamePass, PSNOW bois.
I am playing Wreckfest since day one, Flatout 2 makes me a diehard Bugbear fan.

Moderation edit: Console wars

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm still kinda shocked the price they wanted for this game. I've been hearing on Twitter its fun but eh, might have to try it myself sometime.

It's 6/10 for being free, 4/10 if they ever consider selling it at $70. Add it to your library as it might get better in a later date with updates and new modes/characters/tweaking.

Mmnow

Do we just say good Dualsense implementation by default?

I'm biased, because I think every game I've used the triggers in is distracting at worst or gimmicky at best, but Destruction AllStars was particularly egregious. The triggers felt spongy for no particular reason at times. Outside of that and the unrealistic "click" when your car leaves a platform, I don't remember it at all. Keep in mind I got the plat, and won like 110 games.

And that's without mentioning the ludicrous mic situation, which in all fairness isn't an issue anymore.

Also have the slightest of nitpicks about loading times. Destruction AllStars doesn't load in two seconds. That's the sort of thing that's going to spread about unchecked.

It has to connect to other players, then it has a loading screen, then it has an unskippable 10-15 second video as each game begins.

If you only count the obvious loading screen, fine. But nobody is getting into a match in two seconds, and the unskippable video is hiding additional connections and no doubt loading too.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I just started playing it this past weekend.

It's a fun game, scratching my Twisted Metal itch.

Seems like Sony were smart to launch this on PS Plus, watching this analysis....lol.

cormack12

Gold Member
Looks ominous really. I kinda like Godfall but I'm not expecting long support. Games like this need people playing them otherwise devs/pubs just cut losses.

Do we just say good Dualsense implementation by default?

I'm biased, because I think every game I've used the triggers in is distracting at worst or gimmicky at best, but Destruction AllStars was particularly egregious. The triggers felt spongy for no particular reason at times. Outside of that and the unrealistic "click" when your car leaves a platform, I don't remember it at all. Keep in mind I got the plat, and won like 110 games.

And that's without mentioning the ludicrous mic situation, which in all fairness isn't an issue anymore.

Also have the slightest of nitpicks about loading times. Destruction AllStars doesn't load in two seconds. That's the sort of thing that's going to spread about unchecked.

It has to connect to other players, then it has a loading screen, then it has an unskippable 10-15 second video as each game begins.

If you only count the obvious loading screen, fine. But nobody is getting into a match in two seconds, and the unskippable video is hiding additional connections and no doubt loading too.

Honestly 3rd parties have been terrible and the reason I've disabled them. They really need an option in game to turn them off. Proper Sony games will probably give them proper use but right now nah.

Mmnow

Looks ominous really. I kinda like Godfall but I'm not expecting long support. Games like this need people playing them otherwise devs/pubs just cut losses.

Honestly 3rd parties have been terrible and the reason I've disabled them. They really need an option in game to turn them off. Proper Sony games will probably give them proper use but right now nah.

I'm not sure I've played any third party game on PS5 that've used them, outside of Worms (which actually hurt my hand it was that bad).

Astrobot was gimmicky, but that was its whole thing. I didn't mind so much, outside of the impact on battery life. Those techniques definitely shouldn't be used in any other, more serious game.

But I've seen nothing else to convince me this is a good feature outside of that context, and plenty to convince me otherwise.

It's a shame, because I love the haptics.

GHG

Gold Member
This looks awful. It's like Sony's version of Bleeding Edge and just like that game this will be dead within 12 months.

I really wish first parties wouldn't waste their time and money making trashy multiplayer games like this. What's the point? Who are these games even for?

skit_data

The gameplay simply wasnt very well thought through. Some characters are simply overpowered(Bluefang) while some are utterly worthless(Ratu). The abilities and Breakers rarely made a difference for the majority of time. The arenas are too big. It actually surprises me they released it at all in this state.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Agree with NXGamer about the target audience. This game is now in rotation for my son.

Miles, Madden and this is all he plays, lol.

Sony's gonna have to rethink that 70 dollar price tag for games, because this woulda bombed hard. Or more games might launch on Plus.

Or we might see like they already did, some new games launch with a lower price.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
The gameplay simply wasnt very well thought through. Some characters are simply overpowered(Bluefang) while some are utterly worthless(Ratu). The abilities and Breakers rarely made a difference for the majority of time. The arenas are too big. It actually surprises me they released it at all in this state.
Ratu's vehicle ability can score A LOT of points if used properly. Unfortunately it seems that more people are aware of her breaker and what the countdown means and they move away more often. She's probably better to play in singleplayer modes against bots.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
A capture the flag game mode would be awesome. I haven’t played since the first week because of the limited game modes.

I'm biased, because I think every game I've used the triggers in is distracting at worst or gimmicky at best, but Destruction AllStars was particularly egregious.
There's a possibility you've got a defective Dualsense, or maybe your hands don't take too well to these haptic technologies or you just have very high standards for what constitutes good haptics. Besides the first possibility, the latter two are fine; everyone is different and experiences things in their own way.

Fake

This looks awful. It's like Sony's version of Bleeding Edge and just like that game this will be dead within 12 months.

I really wish first parties wouldn't waste their time and money making trashy multiplayer games like this. What's the point? Who are these games even for?

I guess they want a Fortnite competidor and they don't care if fail or not, they have money to keep trying.

Mmnow

There's a possibility you've got a defective Dualsense, or maybe your hands don't take too well to these haptic technologies or you just have very high standards for what constitutes good haptics. Besides the first possibility, the latter two are fine; everyone is different and experiences things in their own way.
I'm fine with the haptics, and am glad I can finally use it on one of my main consoles (sorry, Switch). I don't love the shape of the controller - I'd say it's less comfortable than the DS4 - but that's never going to put me off using the console as a whole.

Going by Astrobot, my triggers are working.

I think it's just different strokes, by and large. When this many people love a controller, I'm not going to say they're wrong. I'll just respectfully disagree.

It was specifically about Dualsense usage in this game. Triggers don't feel right, the mic was a major problem for the first week or so and Haptics, while neat, aren't making a big impact on Destruction AllStars. Saying it uses it well is setting such a low bar, I had to point it out.

In hindsight, I'm more annoyed by the "loading in two seconds" thing.

Leyasu

Banned

I had a good time with destruction derby back in the day.

I do admit that I have not seen much more than the first couple of trailers, but I thought that this might be a long over due successor. Shame that it is not

Luipadre

game is already pretty dead. They should've waited a year more and release it with more content and a meaningful progression system into PS+ collection. The fact that they wanted to charge 80 for this is laughable

Last edited:
I'm fine with the haptics, and am glad I can finally use it on one of my main consoles (sorry, Switch). I don't love the shape of the controller - I'd say it's less comfortable than the DS4 - but that's never going to put me off using the console as a whole.

Going by Astrobot, my triggers are working.

I think it's just different strokes, by and large. When this many people love a controller, I'm not going to say they're wrong. I'll just respectfully disagree.

It was specifically about Dualsense usage in this game. Triggers don't feel right, the mic was a major problem for the first week or so and Haptics, while neat, aren't making a big impact on Destruction AllStars. Saying it uses it well is setting such a low bar, I had to point it out.

In hindsight, I'm more annoyed by the "loading in two seconds" thing.
Oh if you're comparing it to Astrobot and it feels a lot worse then I can see where you're coming from. It's just that in your original comment I assumed even Astrobot wasn't good enough: "because I think every game I've used the triggers in is distracting at worst or gimmicky at best".

As a disclaimer I don't own a PS5 yet, though I'm almost certain I'll get some kicks out of the Dualsense; I'm quite happy with HD rumble when it's used well though there are a few cases where it's just BRRRRR, which sucks.

I didn't comment on the loading part because you already admitted it's nitpicky in the original comment. So I figured it's best to leave that point alone, lol.

GHG

Gold Member
I had a good time with destruction derby back in the day.

I do admit that I have not seen much more than the first couple of trailers, but I thought that this might be a long over due successor. Shame that it is not

It's been mentioned already but Wreckfest is 100% what you're looking for. It's good enough that even though it's available on subscription services, I'd say buy it.

M1chl

It's been mentioned already but Wreckfest is 100% what you're looking for. It's good enough that even though it's available on subscription services, I'd say buy it.
Well I am not sure if people can see the awesomeness of Wreckfest just from the internet, at least they have chance to try it now...for fee

Top Bottom