• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex - PC vs. PS2 | Side by Side

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
yj8IN0r.png

Yooo they had the reflections in for the PS2 version? That's neat.

brian0057

Banned
The one thing the PS2 version has over the PC one is the orchestrated soundtrack.
Superb stuff.
Other than that, always play the PC version.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
They really had to reduce the size of the maps for that port. Probably the main reason all of the areas in Invisible War were cramped af, they developed it with Xbox in mind from the start.
Yeah the same happened with Thief: Deadly Shadows, althought that one was worse since it affected the PC version too.

brian0057

Banned
I know this probably makes me a bad person but I fucking loved Invisible War on Xbox. I was only about 14 at the time but I had a lot of fun playing that.
Don't worry. It doesn't make you a bad person.
Invisible War, while not as superb as its predecessor, it's still a fantastic game on its own.

I know this probably makes me a bad person but I fucking loved Invisible War on Xbox. I was only about 14 at the time but I had a lot of fun playing that.
I kind of feel about IW like I do about Bioshock. It's not a bad game, but it absolutely falls flat as a sequel to the original Deus Ex, just like Bioshock mostly failed at being a spiritual successor to System Shock.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Totally fine, the IW hate is incredibly overblown. It's faulty/janky in many ways but there are not many games like it. I had a lot of fun with it too and didn't really understand the enormous backlash (I do, it's mainly because of the downscaling of some ability systems, but that didn't bother me personally). Apart from the smaller maps, I personally loved the frequent interplay of dynamic systems and creating unexpected situations that mostly happened because of the smaller maps.

And seeing as these experimental ambitious Immersive Sims are rare (even more now) I feel we should learn to appreciate more what we got.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I tried 2-3 times but always bailed out after 2-3 hours.

There is something that just doesn't work for me, i can replay dishonored every year but i can't stay engaged with DE.

Maybe i should try the more modern sequel but i heard the game are heavily interconnected and a recap is not enough.

Last edited:
I kind of feel about IW like I do about Bioshock. It's not a bad game, but it absolutely falls flat as a sequel to the original Deus Ex, just like Bioshock mostly failed at being a spiritual successor to System Shock.

This sums me up pretty good. Invisible War wasn't terrible, but as a sequel to the genre-defining Deus Ex, it was pretty abysmal. You could absolutely tell that it was designed with consoles in mind.
While I didn't really care for Invisible War, I did thoroughly enjoy Bioshock. I almost wish they'd named it something else though, because it was most definitely not a successor to System Shock.

At least we've got Arkane's stuff, which has been pretty solid overall thus far.

I tried 2-3 times but always bailed out after 2-3 hours.

There is something that just doesn't work for me, i can replay dishonored every year but i can't stay engaged with DE.

Maybe i should try the more modern sequel but i heard the game are heavily interconnected and a recap is not enough.
It's a severely overrated game.

Same here. Thoroughly enjoyed that game. Did some crazy stuff. That nightclub towards the beginning of the game. I gassed the whole place and killed everybody then robbed them. I also killed one of the Illuminati soldiers that there was no way I was going to beat one-on-one by locking them in a glass chamber with poison gas and he died and then I got his stuff. It was really good. Man, the memories are pouring in. I had so much fun with that game.

You can also basically break the game in the beginning by forcing Billy into the shower and turning the water on slowly hurting her until she dies and if you know you know.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I should check if there are mods that make graphic and combat less shitty.

combat.....? theres combat in deus ex games? I played HR and MD 3 times at least each and never fired a gun, except for some boss fights. While some will tell you, yeah, play them hwoever you want, to me, these games are stealth games. Sneaking, avoiding or taking down enemies from behind, exploring, is part of the charm. I also played non-lethal every time. If you want to shoot stuff theres better games out there that excel at that.

That being said, mods to make them less ugly? I replayed them recently and their style and graphics are timeless and both look amazing.

1E281D2D4F6F853CE2AB94F4D4AFC9821CA9F265

652C8ABAB251617ACC2737DB0A2C404F79B20CA1

1E3EBC3B863B17CCBB843645597F5E9D220FE474

8754EA5140A7C0447F80810412749D3CFEEF3223

AndrewRyan

Love HR and MD but the original (on ps2) felt too dated and couldn't get into it. Primarily due to the controls. Maybe I'll give the PC version a shot.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I played a little bit of the original on PC about 7-8 years ago.

HR and MD I love though and have them on basically every system.

hyperbertha

Invisible war is great. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. And I played it at about that age too. Unforgettable and way better than most rpgs today.

HL3.exe

Love HR and MD but the original (on ps2) felt too dated and couldn't get into it. Primarily due to the controls. Maybe I'll give the PC version a shot.
I wouldn't bother. Its dated on pc too and its story is pretty vanilla for 2020 standards.
Nah

Yeah, DX1 is definitely dated on a lot of fronts, and I love the reboot titles as well. But DX1's philosophical writing, it's underlying game-systems and balance is way stronger than the modern reboots. Not saying it's perfect. Especially MD is a big step up in emergent reactivity and overlapping systems in the hub spaces. But if one game deserves a modern remake, it's DX1.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's a severely overrated game.
Oh no don't get me wrong, i know how good the game is because it is loved by immersive sims fanboys, so it can't be bad.

There is really not a bad immersvie sims on the market, even the lowest one like wild west or deathloop are still 7/10 games at the very worst.

Last edited:
Oh no don't get me wrong, i know how good the game is because it is loved by immersive sims fanboys, so it can't be bad.

There is really not a bad immersvie sims on the market, even the lowest one like wild west or deathloop are still 7/10 games at the very worst.
I'm an immersive sim fanboy 😅 It's one of those 7/10 games imo.

Top Bottom