• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

devs are afraid to make another witcher 3 these days

Interestingly enough Starfield is backing away from choices and consequences as well. You can join and be successful in allain factions and side factions.

So in a sense they are gearing this up for people not playing through twice.

Depends on how you see it.

I see it as more choice.

I always associate RPG elements in Bethesda RPGs on quest level. How you can pursue any quest. Long term narrative consequences they don't do. Didn't like getting locked out of guilds.

The premise of this thread makes no sense. The number of similar style open-world games has grown exponentially since Witcher 3.

Plenty of them are trying, but few, if any are as good. And the formula has gotten very stale.

StickStack

Neo Member
I have my hopes up for Witcher 4. I'm trying to stay blind to any news about it. Witcher 3 is in my top 5 of all time. Here's to hoping they don't F up 4!

StereoVsn

I have my hopes up for Witcher 4. I'm trying to stay blind to any news about it. Witcher 3 is in my top 5 of all time. Here's to hoping they don't F up 4!
Eh, after Cyberpunk and it's lack of competent role playing content, I am not very hopeful.

Cyberpunk at the end was very linear with it's quest line and at the end that didn't have a lot of choices. Most side quests were kind of meh. Again, this was my take, other folks I am sure liked it better.

Then again, I liked Witcher 3 quite a bit, even combat to ane extent.

samoilaaa

I see your point, but all cutscenes now are real-time anyways, so no tedious renderfarms etc. I understand that scenes still have to be directed and mo-cap'ed etc. but it seems like everyone forgets that the dev-tools also evolve. We humans are lazy beings;-) If you look back at gamedev. since the '80 to present day, the technological barrier is waaaay lower than before. Tools was a foreign word back in the day, and if you found the time, you would make it yourself to like automate some processes or watever.
But today the far most resources goes into scheduling/management while teams grows in size. The hard part today is more like bringing the vision into a finished product.
you are right , tools also evolve and make it easier to bring ideas to life

i hope im wrong , i hope that the next AAA witcher will be a true rpg and the other games such as avowed , inxile's steampunk rpg , starfield , i hope that the next hogwarts legacy will be more rpg and less action-adventure

samoilaaa

The legit RPGs in the modern era come from the indie space and smaller teams. When you spend shitloads of money making a game, you're gonna have to dumb it down and make some consessions, trying to appeal to casuals to make that $$ back. (like the Twitcher 3 also did in other aspects)

Check out the upcoming Colony Ship for a proper RPG experience
qX6j2Gr.png
ofc true rpgs are divinity original sin 1/2 , pillars of eternity , baldurs gate , planescape torment , arcanum , wasteland , fallout 1/2 etc.

but witcher series got pretty close for a 3rd person action game , the only thing that i would have wanted to see was stat distribution and different builds but considering the fact that the games were made after the books no matter the build geralt will always have to be a swordsman , i have no doubt that baldur's gate 3 will be a true rpg , im not sure if its AAA , i read somewhere that their budget exceed 100 million dollars

Last edited:

JakeWolf

As AAA cost skyrockets, we are gonna see less genuine passion pour into AAA games. Publishers AND Devs are gonna be worrying about making profit more than the actual content.

anthraticus

Banned
ofc true rpgs are divinity original sin 1/2 , pillars of eternity , baldurs gate , planescape torment , arcanum , wasteland , fallout 1/2 etc.

but witcher series got pretty close for a 3rd person action game , the only thing that i would have wanted to see was stat distribution and different builds but considering the fact that the games were made after the books no matter the build geralt will always have to be a swordsman , i have no doubt that baldur's gate 3 will be a true rpg , im not sure if its AAA , i read somewhere that their budget exceed 100 million dollars
I bet BG3 will be decline. Too many cooks spoil the broth, plus they're gonna be trying to please too many different types of fans.

These days I look more forward to stuff from smaller teams like...Colony Ship, Call of Saregnar, Monomyth, Urban Strife, SKALD: Against the Black Priory, UnderRail: Infusion, etc..

GymWolf

Not sure where this narrative come from but many big devs tried to replicate witcher 3, horizon saga and latest 3 ac games just to name the most famous.

Calverz

I tried recently to play Witcher 3. There are aspects of it I really like but yea, it’s a bit of a slog tbh. The combat is very poor imo and also every puzzle type quest is a case of holding down a button and look for glowing red markers.

No they're not. The Witcher 3 is about as mainstream as you can get.

Also, a lot of posts that i have read in this thread seem stupidly contrarian against common consensus just for the sake of it. It's fine to dislike a video game, but make some sense and elaborate if you're posting your opinion. Not just that it's healthy for you and the community, but it's also infinitely more interesting. Otherwise, you're bullshitting or trolling and no one will give a shit outside me pointing out that it's pointless.

There's barely anything better than The Witcher 3 as far as modern open-world role playing games are concerned. The fact that its re-release garnered near universal acclaim also proves that it hasn't "Ag3d" a second and still works today. Its gameplay is great despite whatever the fuck you expect, the writing is second to none outside of Planescape: Torment, the characters are excellent, the world is fantastic and generally interesting to explore.

I think Elden Ring has a slight edge over it, but that's about it. And it's also morbidly interesting to check out some of the hate on that game, which is fucking amazing given that it is fundamentally the absolute best thing FROM has ever made, cutting out so much of the bullshit of previous entries in this loosely connected franchise.

At the end of the day, the more a video game is successful, the more awareness it receives, the more people play it, and more divergent opinions appear. It's just a shame that some of the honest, interesting opinions are lost in a sea of pure shit.

Just proves that despite the evolution of technology, devs are creatively bankrupt these days, and that tech is too expensive to gamble with new things. Which leads me to believe that gaming is past its prime, sadly.

Top Bottom