• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dexter: New Blood (2021) Official Trailer | Showtime | November 7

Blond

Banned
Wow, this is coming way sooner than I expected! I figured it was coming fall/summer next year at the earliest.

i dunno...i mean surely i'll watch, but aside from the initial "new identity" that i'm sure will wash off shortly into the season its seems like itll just rehash the same type of arcs.

im going to need new and original themes and arcs to keep me invested more than just the superficial "vigilante serial killer"

that trailer did less for me than the initial one

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Just seen episode 1 and unfortunately it was weak, definitely didn't live up to the hype. The first kill after the break felt like it was being served on a platter, not like there was room for Dexter to contemplate becoming a killer again. Plus it was very predictable what would lead to the kill after the first scene in the shop.
The big reveal from the episode was the weakest part. It's like there was no drama there even though there was supposed to be. And imo it shouldn't have happened right in the first episode.
The winter setting is very cool, I will admit that. A nice change from Miami.
Not a huge fan of forcing in lbgt and climate change themes and Dexter dating a minority character, but hey, it's modern Hollywood. ;)

Patrick S.

Banned
Just seen episode 1 and unfortunately it was weak, definitely didn't live up to the hype. The first kill after the break felt like it was being served on a platter, not like there was room for Dexter to contemplate becoming a killer again. Plus it was very predictable what would lead to the kill after the first scene in the shop.
The big reveal from the episode was the weakest part. It's like there was no drama there even though there was supposed to be. And imo it shouldn't have happened right in the first episode.
Not a huge fan of forcing in lbgt and climate change themes and Dexter dating a minority character, but hey, it's modern Hollywood. ;)

Please tell me, in spoiler tags, that Deb didn't turn out to be still alive...

Salz01

This post depresses me.

This was great glad to have it back. I saw a review who was like uh who asked for a new season. And all the comments were like everyone.

Last edited:

Doczu

she's Harry 2.0 in the series
Andrew Robertson Ok GIF by Liverpool FC

But the rest.... Uggghhhh

Tell me it's at least better thanthe last, "final", season

xrnzaaas

Andrew Robertson Ok GIF by Liverpool FC

But the rest.... Uggghhhh

Tell me it's at least better thanthe last, "final", season
It's hard to say how it'll turn out after only one episode. It wasn't awful, but it felt forgettable and bland and like I've said the events leading to Dexter becoming a killer again were predictable. Plus at the moment the show lacks interesting new characters like Doakes, Deb, Masuka or even Angel.

Also I must say the music is weird. It definitely lacks Daniel Licht's incredible soundtrack. There's no proper intro which is a bummer and the music is pretty much only licensed songs. There was one attempt of a remix of one of Licht's tunes, but that's not nearly enough.

Last edited:
Good start. I'm glad they addressed Harrison immediately. Now I'm wondering what happened to Yvonne Strahovski's character, but I'm sure they'll answer that question next episode.

Last edited:

TVexperto

Good start. I'm glad they addressed Harrison immediately. Now I'm wondering what happened to Yvonne Strahovski's character, but I'm sure they'll answer that question next episode.
she died according to showtimes website and an interview with dexters actor

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
watched the first episode last night. it was really corny, predictable, and bad but I'm glad it's back!

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
watched the first episode last night. it was really corny, predictable, and bad but I'm glad it's back!
Yeah; super corny.. super predictable.. but that's DEXTER for you lol

I enjoyed it; the beginning was great and seemed like maybe a new direction for the show, the way it was filmed was so.. different, almost movie like.

Then they get into the rest of it and it was just Dexter in Alaska.. which is fine lol

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I just can't believe the boat subplot and that guy admitting to some complete stranger that he lied under oath and divulging all this incriminating information to some complete stranger in the bathroom...that's really the best the writers can come up with after nearly a 10 year hietus? ಠ_ಠ

IntentionalPun

I just can't believe the boat subplot and that guy admitting to some complete stranger that he lied under oath and divulging all this incriminating information to some complete stranger in the bathroom...that's really the best the writers can come up with after nearly a 10 year hietus? ಠ_ಠ
Yes.

Also, on the next episode.. find out how a rare disease called "Treadmill Syndrome" caused Harrison's hairs to turn black.

IntentionalPun

Man this could have been so much better.. could have drawn out the tension of Dexter's routine being broken a bit farther; not had dipshit confess to accessory after the fact but maybe have Dexter just hear some CLUE that something is off.. like an argument through a door.. and then had Dexter do his investigation thing.. maybe end the episode w/ him finding proof.. then MAYBE on episode 2 have him break bad.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I thought it was Solid. Better than the crap from the last season, but not as good as top tier Dexter.

You just gotta suspend belief when it comes to this show. Because if he’s truly in hiding and authorities are looking for him knowing everything he’s done, then his face is going to be all over FBI’s most wanted databases and all over the news. And he didn’t exactly change his appearance.

They briefly showed the number of murdered women in the area in this episode, so I’m guessing they will reveal a serial killer at some point and that’s who Dexter is going to be hunting. Otherwise, just killing randos in Alaska isn’t really going to be compelling.

Oberstein

Just seen episode 1 and unfortunately it was weak,

I don't really understand this negative comment.
For a comeback, the episode is more than honorable. Reminding us who Dexter is, introducing the new town, the NPCs, setting the tone of this season and above all not wasting time
No time wasted on introducing Harrison: boom, he's already under his wing at the end of the episode without it being too rushed, in short they did a good job.
What is quite striking is the way it is filmed. A decade has passed and it's noticeable: it's cleaner in the shots. A little apriori though: Dexter has always been a dark humor in the dialogues and not only a funky music behind a murder scene, and for the moment we didn't get it in this episode... Let's see on the long run.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I never watched Dexter, but everyone talks about how it turned into shit. What happened to that show? Did it pull a Game of Thrones?

xrnzaaas

I don't really understand this negative comment.
For a comeback, the episode is more than honorable. Reminding us who Dexter is, introducing the new town, the NPCs, setting the tone of this season and above all not wasting time
No time wasted on introducing Harrison: boom, he's already under his wing at the end of the episode without it being too rushed, in short they did a good job.
What is quite striking is the way it is filmed. A decade has passed and it's noticeable: it's cleaner in the shots. A little apriori though: Dexter has always been a dark humor in the dialogues and not only a funky music behind a murder scene, and for the moment we didn't get it in this episode... Let's see on the long run.
I don't mind that the show wants to remind or explain who Dexter was, but the way they made him go back to killing was weak in my opinion. It's like his victim was doing everything they could to piss him off and go for the kill, I wish it was much more subtle with Dexter spending more time fighting with [you-know-who] whether he should go for it.
The problem with the "NPC's" in the new season is that for me they're bland. I instantly liked most of the cast from the original show (maybe except for LaGuerta). Here I would struggle to pick someone I like.
With Harrison the first episode definitely lacked the wow factor. I mean it's a huge reveal and it didn't feel like a groundbreaking scene. The show had some good scenes with people surprising Dexter (like with the Trinity Killer surprising him at his job - that whole scene was brilliant) and it definitely lacked something like that here.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Episode 2 was better even though it was less eventful.

I liked Harrison's explanation (I sure hope that there are no twists about Hannah and him potentially killing her as a result of his "dark tendencies" ;)) and the development of the character.
Dexter fighting with Deb in his head was also enjoyable, I forgot how much I enjoyed listening to Deb swearing all the time. ;)
I'm warming up towards the female cop.
Yay there's going to be a separate teenagers storyline. -_-
The 'indigenous people' themes are being inserted pretty heavily, but so far it doesn't ruin the enjoyment of watching the show.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Dexter has many phases that you don't see in one episode of a comeback season. We finally have Dexter back, you see the side characters starting to step up (the keys to Dexter's success are the police department, the bad guys etc.) Dexter is sitting at 61% on metacritic, if they can't start stacking up a main bad guy (ice truck killer) they're certainly screwed. I liked we're able to see Dexter's new home, finding out he has a job, his system or code for killing is still there and he's more than capable of killing, keep this in mind he has missed many years of killing.
Season 7 Showtime GIF by Dexter

Yoboman

Im liking the new season a lot. Not yet in peak Dexter territory but could get there if they land the last episodes of the season where Dexter is always best

xrnzaaas

Is is just me or have the writers taken a huge shortcut by
allowing the sheriff to find out about Dexter mostly thanks to Batista?
Seems like a cheap move to push the story forward. I understand it's only 10 episodes, but it still feels wrong in my opinion.

I'm enjoying Kurt's storyline though and the busty chick was fine. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
I'm digging the new season. Currently watching episode 8, and I'm sorry, but

It was pretty damn hilarious how Dexter first gets thrown head-first through the window of a vehicle after a high speed crash, with his hands and feet bound and bounces right up with a little cut on his head. Then moments later, he's jumping face first through a mirror and is completely unfazed by that too, LOL. He turned into Jason this episode.

xrnzaaas

Watching this season makes me feels like Angela is the luckiest person alive by getting all of the hints from various sources pushing her investigation forward... or like playing an adventure game on easy mode with all of the handy clues at your disposal allowing you to solve the puzzles easily. I still have hopes something cool will happen in the finale, but I admit I liked the theory about...
Molly and (fake) Harrison working together and ganging up on Dexter. Which obviously won't happen now.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

The finale was weak and unfortunately I will consider this whole season to be weak as well despite showing some promise in the early episdoes. Now it's not close to being the worst one for me, but I still had much higher hopes and for a show that's had a run of 9 seasons it deserved better.
The biggest problem is that the writers always seemed to have been picking the most straightforward choices. I'm typically not a fan of big twists, but I think this season could've used some and the fans have delivered plenty of good ideas
like Harrison admitting to killing Hannah, not being Harrison at all and working with Molly or even Molly having a confrontation with Dexter letting him know she knows who he is. Molly getting sloppy and killed by a serial killer was the only surprise.
I am also very angry with the finale about not delivering on the topic of
Batista showing up. For fuck's sake you don't tease the people with a confrontation like that and not deliver on it and instead kill Dexter "prematurely".
This had so much potential to deliver a good content for the fans and in general. It could pretty much cover an entire separate episode. I would love to see Batista's "what the fuck Dexter" initial attitude have him gradually turn into believing that Dex is the Bay Harbor Butcher and that he's behind Doakes and La Guerta's deaths.

TVexperto

Harrison should have let him run and then we get a scene of Bautista arriving in Iron Lake. Boom Season 2 set up and potential for a scared, cornered psychopathic Dexter is set.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
The only thing I can say negative is that they really rushed to get to this episodes ending and Angela really reached to get some of her connections that would have had zero chance of any legal action in reality. Should have been 12 episodes IMO. I am completely ok with how this ended other then that.

this season did a great job showing what type of person dexter really was and stopped jerking off on the fact that he was some hero due to his stupid rules. The “dark passenger is driving” was probably one of the best lines they could have said in that ending conversation encounter along with the flashes of showing all the innocent victims that were due to dexter / or his actions. I would have been on board for another season of dexter and Harrison running, but it would need to end with him dying someway anyway. He deserved it.

xrnzaaas

The only thing I can say negative is that they really rushed to get to this episodes ending and Angela really reached to get some of her connections that would have had zero chance of any legal action in reality. Should have been 12 episodes IMO. I am completely ok with how this ended other then that.

this season did a great job showing what type of person dexter really was and stopped jerking off on the fact that he was some hero due to his stupid rules. The “dark passenger is driving” was probably one of the best lines they could have said in that ending conversation encounter along with the flashes of showing all the innocent victims that were due to dexter / or his actions. I would have been on board for another season of dexter and Harrison running, but it would need to end with him dying someway anyway. He deserved it.
Yes the season would have the chance to be better if they modified episode 10 and gave it another 2 episodes...
modified episode 10 could be about Angela struggling what to do, deciding to arrest Dexter and interrogating him, it all happened very quickly in this episode and in my opinion lacked a decent punch
episode 11 could be about showing Angela the bodies and primarily about Batista showing up, confronting Dexter and starting to accept he was the serial killer under their nose all along
episode 12 could go in many directions - like FBI showing up to take Dexter and let him have his trial or have a manhunt after him (while maintaining the confrontation with Harrison at the end)
I don't mind that Dexter died at the end of the show, but there are many ways they could've handled it better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom