• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dexter: New Blood (2021) Official Trailer | Showtime | November 7

xandaca

Copy and pasting what I wrote about the finale on reddit:

I enjoyed much of the season, though thought the ending was entirely unsatisfactory. Plot holes don't bother me all that much because Dexter has always been hit-and-miss when it comes to airtight plotting, but what frustrated me was setting up Harrison killing Dexter as him freeing himself from his father. For me, a more satisfying but less bombastic ending would have been Dexter pushing Harrison to kill him, but Harrison resisting and allowing Bishop to take him into custody and answer for his crimes, also allowing a face-to-face with Batista to wrap that dangling thread up. Dexter has always deluded himself into believing he is a force for good and an avenging angel, as the conversation with Harrison about his dark passenger being in the driving seat alluded to. Dexter playing the martyr, ostensibly for his son's benefit but in reality just feeding his son's dark impulses, is very much in character for someone so narcissistic and self-righteous. By having Harrison kill Dexter, Dexter's 'dark passenger' (really just Dexter) essentially won by making Harrison take the option Dexter always took: murder. Had Harrison resisted, it would have represented him rejecting the darkness supposedly inherited from his father and truly freeing himself from that legacy, allowing him to remain in Iron Lake with Angela and his friends and live a normal life. Dexter surviving to stand trial is less showy and hashtag-friendly, but would be more dramatically and thematically coherent and give the series a proper conclusion where Dexter's belief in inherited darkness, and evil as destiny, is shattered and him forced to recognise that his 'dark passenger' was always an excuse. Instead, it finishes with open-ended 'MIGHT HARRISON BE A KILLER TOO?' ambiguity, which the writers might think is great for seeding a possible spin-off (which I'd be surprised if it were a success, given it doesn't offer many other avenues than repeating Dexter without Dexter) but feels like a cop-out completely missing (to me) the point of who Dexter is - ironically, since it is stated so clearly a moment prior to his death.

(Of course, a theoretical next season could always start with Dexter waking up in a hospital having survived the gunshot and going from there, but that'd be even worse.)

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
x8zBViK.jpg

nuff said

Just finished with the last episode. Wow. I am disappointed. Clearly crammed in. Need at least another 2 to 3 episodes.

I fucking hated the tease with a reunion between Dexter and Bautista. Biggest case of blue balls... EVER

I knew that Dexter was going to be killed. It's in the title "New Blood" but how he was killed REALLY bothered me. How much better would it have been if Dexter was on the table while Harrison is deciding if Dexter falls under the code. The moment Harrison lunges the knife into Dex's chest, the screen would go black and have the show's logo and credits running. I would have been a lot more satisfied.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Just finished it and can say I hated pretty much the entire season. Harrison was super annoying and the main bad guy was mediocre. Only positive I can muster at this time is that I'm happy I can no longer be utterly disappointed by this series. They really shit the bed.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Well, they can't shit the bed anymore, they really shit it all the way this time, diarrhea in this bitch.
I was waiting for Bautista to come and confront him, but wtf. Damn it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I thought the thing as a whole was FAR better than the final season we originally got, albeit with some shit that makes no sense whatsoever - but yeah, the more I think about it, the final episode massively underdelivered.

Was pretty obvious what was going to happen the entire season but the way they delivered it was so underbaked. They could/should have cut an hour of filler from the first 8 episodes and had a two-part finale that actually addressed some of the things the series sets up.

6.5/10 for me overall, worth a watch, could have been better, could have been much worse.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
what the fuck was that final episode.....Americans...what the fuck are you doing.....u ruined another great show... AGAIN. HOLY FUCK. I am so pissed. It ruined my day... I... just...cant...The whole season was so good until that final ep. I feel like I just got stabbed. I need to watch a new show to wash my brain from that utter shit.

Last edited:

plushyp

Finally got around to it. What an idiotic ending yet again but with the uneven writing throughout I should have expected it. There were stupid plot resolutions, characters suddenly get new patterns according to plot convenience and an off feeling throughout that made things feel rushed. The end isn't the problem as much as how it was achieved which is cheap and illogical.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The rage over this ending 😂

To be fair, I thought it was a lot better than the garbage fire of season 8… but I would have preferred he got caught so he had to answer for his crimes.

The people whining about what happened to Logan… Dexter was never a hero. That was the whole point.

Super glad they didn’t do the Harrison as Dexter 2.0 bullshit ending I was afraid they were going to go with.

It's a better ending to the series than the previous one, but it's still not a great ending. And you just know Showtime is going to milk it by announcing Harrison Season 1 soon.

Davey Cakes

The ending wasn't terrible, but it was rushed. I think they should've finished the season on a cliffhanger and then done a movie as the true finale.

It was so weird being 100% on board for 9 episodes and then to feel whiplash on episode 10.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I enjoyed it, the ending was rushed but it wasn’t bad, yes they could have done more with Batista but it wasn’t required. Having Deb on was a fantastic addition. My main complaint is that Harrison should have run away with Audrey.

Top Bottom