• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Alan Wake Remaster: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Compared to Xbox 360 Original!

Fake

Seems pretty disappointing to be honest.
1440p and not even locked 60fps. I mean yeah they did some visual upgrades but it's still mostly a 360 game

I guess is because there is no actually PS5/Series X version of this game. 1440p act more like the PRO/One X territory. They still run like BC with patch, no?

And Tom said this is a port from the PC version, maybe thats explain the lack of 'black crushes' Xbox 360 always had.

JackMcGunns

PS5 / Series X
- 1440p (not 4k) 4x MSAA
- 60fps with drops to 50fps (down to mid-40fps in some places on Series X) in gameplay
- Cutscenes terrible 30fps lol

Exclusive to Series
- Screen Tearing ™

You forgot to add
Exclusive to PS5:
-Luminescent green color ™

Summary:
  • Improved in many areas: 60 FPS, improved texture quality, characters, character design, shadows, assets, etc.
  • 1080p on Series S. 60 FPS most of the time. Drops to 50s and even mid-40s during fights and light sequences with heavy tearing. No V-sync.
  • 1440p on Series X. 60 FPS most of the time. Drops to 50s and even mid-40s during fights and light sequences with heavy tearing. No V-sync.
  • 1440p on PS5. 60. FPS most of the time. Drops to mid 50s (but never to mid-40s) during fights and light sequences, but with no tearing at all. V-sync is on.
  • All other settings on all consoles are the same.
  • PS5 also uses DualSense for simulating trigger effects, which is nice and packs a punch.
Overall, very nice improvements to the game. If you have both consoles, play it on a PS5 for better frame rates, zero tearing, and DualSense implementation.
PS5 drops to 50s as well. Screen tearing stays for a second on during heavy gun fights thats it

Both console drops for a second and then gets back to normal 60. PS5 doesn't have better frame rate

Last edited:
I dont think they are relying on VRR, just a nice benefit if you have the capable set. I think the performance just is what it is at 1440p
No, I mean instead of putting vsync on both platforms and having a tear-free experience for everyone, they require VRR on series consoles to provide a tear-free experience when in reality, they could've used vsync and those with VRR would still be fine and those without wouldn't have tearing.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Doesn't Flight Simulator detect if you have a VRR display and then it will enable or disable vsync as necessary? It seems odd to leave vsync out of the Xbox versions as I have to think that most people don't have VRR capable displays yet.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

You forgot to add
Exclusive to PS5:
-Luminescent green color ™
Helps to guide the way in the dark.
_112013676_glowingplants-sideview.png

JackMcGunns

Weird that developers are relying on people having VRR instead of using vsync on the series consoles (which would still work with VRR by the way).

As he mentioned in the comparison, the framerate drops are more noticeable with V-Sync on, so having V-Sync off, you don't see slowdown, but instead you see a screen tear if you don't have VRR, but if you have a VRR display, then you're golden. Makes sense to go with VRR.

I like the character models of the original better, I guess I'm just used to the look, Alan Wake looks too weird and lets not even talk about his girlfriend lol. The waitress in the original looked creepy, and that was a good thing, totally ruins the mood in the new remaster, she looks uninteresting now.

We need a comparison of Xbox Series X running Alan Wake in BC mode Vs the remaster.

As he mentioned in the comparison, the framerate drops are more noticeable with V-Sync on, so having V-Sync off, you don't see slowdown, but instead you see a screen tear if you don't have VRR, but if you have a VRR display, then you're golden. Makes sense to go with VRR.

I like the character models of the original better, I guess I'm just used to the look, Alan Wake looks too weird and lets not even talk about his girlfriend lol. The waitress in the original looked creepy, and that was a good thing, totally ruins the mood in the new remaster, she looks uninteresting now.

We need a comparison of Xbox Series X running Alan Wake in BC mode Vs the remaster.
I'd rather see a stutter than the screen split in half, but hey that's me.

Personally, the only thing that i would ever take before performance is no screen tear. I literally will not play a game that tears. The PS360 era had me in the fetal position.

JackMcGunns

Why the hell isn't this old, non-impressive game 4K? Yeah, I know it has a few visual updates, but it still looks far worse than many games that run at a higher resolution at 60fps on these consoles.

It would entail a remake using its own engine rather than reskinning the old one.

intbal

A very impressive game for its time on 360.
One of the very first games to use temporal reconstruction.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
PS5 drops to 50s as well. Screen tearing stays for a second on during heavy gun fights thats it

Both console drops for a second and then gets back to normal 60. PS5 doesn't have better frame rate
PS5 does have better frame rates because it never even once goes below 50, while the Series consoles did. You can watch it in the DF video here. (timestamped: from 10:16 to 12:08).

And for screen-tearing, Tom said, "[Series X] you will see drops under 60 at points, and when it does, it invokes full-screen tearing." So the screen-tearing is not just during heavy fights for a second; it is any time the FPS drops from 60 and the fullscreen tearing is there for the entirety of that period.

Anyway, all marginal in the grand scheme of things, and the game and its optimization really could be better on all consoles. In its current form, marginal as it may be, PS5 does perform better: better frame rates and zero screen tearing, so for dual console owners, PS5 seems like the way to go.

Last edited:
How is this only 1440p on next gen?? Also, what's with the game being marketed as 4k on console? 1440p is not close to 4k. If it was 1440p upscaled to 2160p that would've been acceptable (and I read an interview where a dev said it was using temporal injection to upscale it to 4k yet Tom didn't mention that). I'm confused here.

ethomaz

Banned
MSAA was/is part of the rendering solution in the engine for transparencies.
Getting rid of it would have needed them to basically rewrite the renderer or rather do a full Remake.

30fps cutscenes are absolutely a joke. If they are gonna be prerendered what the fuck.

As for no Vsync probably relying on VRR to solve the drops....knowing they have drops.
Drops with Vsync are actually more noticeable than drops when Vsync is disabled.
Weird because I could not find any benchmark on PC with MSAA… in fact the own Alan Wake benchmark tool uses FSAA.

So it is not part of the engine.

It is not that VSync add more drops… it just VSync is expensive… so you need to processing power to implement it and that is why when you disable VSync you gain some fps in performance.

But tearing is way worst than the performance hit by VSync… and that I why it feels weird.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

How is this only 1440p on next gen?? Also, what's with the game being marketed as 4k on console? 1440p is not close to 4k. If it was 1440p upscaled to 2160p that would've been acceptable (and I read an interview where a dev said it was using temporal injection to upscale it to 4k yet Tom didn't mention that). I'm confused here.
They did a Greenberg "You realize you will see every game in 4k as your output right?"

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Weird because I could not find any benchmark on PC with MSAA… in fact the own Alan Wake benchmark tool uses FSAA.

There is no way to turn off MSAA in Alan Wake on PC.
Even on the lowest/off setting its actually using 2xMSAA.

Well I lied you can hack MSAA off it just breaks transparencies.

Cherrypepsi

Something about these kind of remasters is weird.

The resolution becomes too high for the game's style and textures and then everything looks sharp but then you see all the visual shortcomings

I actually prefer the 360 visuals... lol

It just looks right

Also Alan has a double chin in the remaster, I can't even look at his face :(((((

Fredrik

Weird that developers are relying on people having VRR instead of using vsync on the series consoles (which would still work with VRR by the way).
Yeah, I always have vsync off on PC with gsync screens but a good VRR capable TV is like $1500 where I’m at, in the end it would make my console gaming be as costy as PC gaming since I don’t need to upgrade except to get VRR. 😕

Black_Stride

How did you switch off MSAA?
Im guessing you used Nvidia control panel.
Well after you did that did you look at Alan Wakes hair or any grass/vegetation?

If it didnt look like something was broken with the engine then you must have a special version of Alan Wakes engine that isnt using MSAA to do transparencies.

Yeah, I always have vsync off on PC with gsync screens but a good VRR capable TV is like $1500 where I’m at, in the end it would make my console gaming be as costy as PC gaming since I don’t need to upgrade except to get VRR. 😕
You don't really need to turn vsync off for GSync or FreeSync. I used to do it all the time and it's the same amount of input delay as long as you cap your frame rate a few frames below what your max refresh rate is. :)

BigLee74

Whilst disappointing that they didn’t take the time out to make this old game hit 4K, don’t let the infrequent frame drops put you off.

The game itself (from my recollection) is great, and pretty creepy too.

ethomaz

Banned
How did you switch off MSAA?
Im guessing you used Nvidia control panel.
Well after you did that did you look at Alan Wakes hair or any grass/vegetation?

If it didnt look like something was broken with the engine then you must have a special version of Alan Wakes engine that isnt using MSAA to do transparencies.
The last gen versions doesn’t have MSAA… only the Pro and XB1X quality mode has it.
Series S is listed not having MSAA too.

There is no way to turn off MSAA in Alan Wake on PC.
Even on the lowest/off setting its actually using 2xMSAA.

Well I lied you can hack MSAA off it just breaks transparencies.
So how they removed it from consoles versions?

Last edited:

Fredrik

You don't really need to turn vsync off for GSync or FreeSync. I used to do it all the time and it's the same amount of input delay as long as you cap your frame rate a few frames below what your max refresh rate is. :)
Is this for new screens? I have an old screen with gsync module and I couldn’t get gsync working with vsync on, but at this point I deactivate vsync by default, don’t know if it’s been updated and would work today.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Reading the technical post for the game seems like VSync off on Series is not intentional.

“ Console v-sync set to on and with no option to turn off”

intbal

Also Alan has a double chin in the remaster, I can't even look at his face :(((((
Hey, go easy on poor old Alan. He's a decade older now. He was also a heavy drinker, as established in the first game. Poor health and added bodyfat was an inevitability.

Black_Stride

The last gen versions doesn’t have MSAA… only the Pro and XB1X quality mode has it.
Series S is listed not having MSAA too.

So how they removed it from consoles versions?

Who told you MSAA is off on lastgen consoles?
I dont have the remaster if youve got a spare code we could easily show if the game is or isnt using MSAA for transparencies.

Is this for new screens? I have an old screen with gsync module and I couldn’t get gsync working with vsync on, but at this point I deactivate vsync by default, don’t know if it’s been updated and would work today.
I don't know. I always left vsync on and I never saw a tear or stutter. As long as the game can be capped below the refresh rate, then the vsync-lag is essentially gone (same as if vsync is off).

ethomaz

Banned
Who told you MSAA is off on lastgen consoles?
I dont have the remaster if youve got a spare code we could easily show if the game is or isnt using MSAA for transparencies.
The dev.

Platform / Render Resolution / Output Resolution / target frame-rate
PlayStation 4 – 1080p / 1080p / 30fps
PlayStation 4 Pro (Performance Mode) – 1080p / 1080p / 60fps
PlayStation 4 Pro (Quality Mode) – 1296p / 2160p (4K) / 30fps / 4 x MSAA
Xbox One – 900p / 900p/ 30fps
Xbox One X (Performance Mode) – 1080p / 1080p / 60fps
Xbox One X (Quality Mode) – 1440p / 2160p (4K) / 30fps / 4 x MSAA
PlayStation 5 – 1440p / 2160p (4K) / 60fps / 4X MSAA
Xbox Series X – 1440p / 2160p (4K) / 60fps / 4 X MSAA
Xbox Series S – 1080p / 1080p / 60fps
PC – 4K/unlimited

Last edited:

Banned
They said it did, the little liars :messenger_weary:

Technical​

What are the main technical features of Alan Wake Remastered?
  • Remastered 4K graphics at 60 FPS* gameplay
  • Redone cinematic cut-scenes with improved facial animation and lip sync
  • Richer environmental details (improved textures and additional geometry)
  • Enhanced character models with updated hair and skin shaders
  • Improved visual effects and lighting
    *PS5 & Series X 60 fps / 4K
    *PS4 Pro / Xbox One X offer a 60 fps Performance and 30 fps Quality mode (included in Day 1 patch)
But then:
Platform / Render Resolution / Output Resolution / target frame-rate

PlayStation 4 – 1080p / 1080p / 30fps
PlayStation 4 Pro (Performance Mode) – 1080p / 1080p / 60fps
PlayStation 4 Pro (Quality Mode) – 1296p / 2160p (4K) / 30fps / 4 x MSAA
Xbox One – 900p / 900p / 30fps
Xbox One X (Performance Mode) – 1080p / 1080p / 60fps
Xbox One X (Quality Mode) – 1440p / 2160p (4K) / 30fps / 4 x MSAA
PlayStation 5 – 1440p / 2160p (4K) / 60fps / 4X MSAA
Xbox Series X – 1440p / 2160p (4K) / 60fps / 4 X MSAA
Xbox Series S – 1080p / 1080p / 60fps
PC – 4K / unlimited

Sneaky, using the "output resolution", not even sure that is the case with the Series X version since it supports 1440p screens.
Series S doesn't use MSAA?

also, does the One X actually have a performance mode???

Top Bottom