• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Assetto Corsa Competizione Upgraded For PS5 and Xbox Series X/S - Full Analysis

Anchovie123

The trend of Xbox having higher res but PS5 having a more stable frame rate continues...

Its obvious at this point that PS5 and Series X are almost identical in power. Whats happening is that devs think that Series X is more powerful so they bump the resolution up slightly but since it is in fact very similar to PS5 this results in performance problems. The teraflop numbers (10 vs 12) is a red herring.

Also I cant speak for the PC version but this looks like crap compared to GT7 :LOL:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
course diss GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Drops to the 40s in game play. DF calls this "problematic". VRR is only going to do so much. Dev would have been better off lowering the rez on XSX.

Oh for sure, it's an odd trend that devs seem to focus on higher native resolutions on SX.

I don' want to go as far as to say that developers are intentionally leveraging VRR .. but ya know.

Lysandros

Because probably DRS is not working as it should on Series consoles, but that should be easily fixable is devs want to, and I hope they will.

As for loading times... well, I can't even imagine the reason for that weird results. Maybe Series X and PS5 have to load higher quality (and heavier) assets. That would explain the fact that Series X load faster than PS5 (since it's CPU is slightly faster) and Series S edging PS5 too (because even though its CPU is a bit slower than PS5's it has to load fewer GB to fill the RAM). I'm just speculating, of course. It's not too bad on any current gen console anyways, but you're right, it doesn't make much sense.
The XSX CPU is only about 3% higher frequency, this doesn't necessarily mean that it's actually faster than PS5's CPU. I really don't think that this game's code is taking advantage of PS5's I/O complex at all just like most of multiplatform games.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The fuck is that frame rate on the XsX? They should have lowered the res to match the PS5s

We have seen this situation play out so many times. At this point I don't think the lower framerate on series x is caused by the higher pixel count.

paulyboy81

Neo Member
I genuinely don't know what they're thinking with those Series console DRS targets. We've seen this so many times before, even last gen (like Resi 3 for example) on the One X, just drop the resolution you heathens.

Lysandros

You're right, I can't do maths this morning, for some reason I only looked at 1800P vs 2016P and completely ignored the fact that there is two axis to resolution, lol.
PS5 being less stable at maintaining the target 4K doesn't mean that the typical divide is 1800P to 2160P, those aren't the averages. XSX also drops but just less often apparently, curiously the narator doesn't mention a precise resolution figure for the drops like he does for the PS5 version. Vgtech is direly needed there i would say.

Last edited:
PS5 being less stable at maintaining the target 4K doesn't mean that the typical divide is 1800P to 2160P, those aren't the averages. XSX also drops but just less often apparently, curiously the narator doesn't mention a precise resolution figure for the drops.
He does, he says it's between 2160p and 2016p during heavy and intense scenes.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
In literally one specific scenario: rain + lots of AI cars in front. "most of the shots still returned a full 4K". 06:14.
Yes he does say that but he's not the greatest DF presenter. Look at the V Power sign and not much happening on screen. You would think they would be the same if both 4k. Timestamped

Bojji

Looks like developers of Xbox versions are in "VRR will fix" camp and don't give a shit about stable performance, they use VRR support as an excuse. Why keep resolution higher when performance tanks?

And with only small % of VRR tv owners they are hurting majority of Xbox only players. I hope same thing won't happen when/if PS5 gets VRR support.

Performance should always be first priority, if they wan't they should give more options for people that are ok with frame drops.

Lysandros

The trend of Xbox having higher res but PS5 having a more stable frame rate continues...

Its obvious at this point that PS5 and Series X are almost identical in power. Whats happening is that devs think that Series X is more powerful so they bump the resolution up slightly but since it is in fact very similar to PS5 this results in performance problems. The teraflop numbers (10 vs 12) is a red herring.

Also I cant speak for the PC version but this looks like crap compared to GT7 :LOL:
I absolutely refuse to believe that the developers are this clueless about these machines. I don't think they are developping the games with TimDog /TF mentality.

Leyasu

Banned
But it's not console warring to suggest a lazy dev would use it as a rationale for piss poor performance.

I'm sorry you feel triggered by a factual comment that was a direct response to the question you asked.
Perhaps devs are using it as a crutch.

DJ12

Perhaps devs are using it as a crutch.
10000000% agreement

If it wasn't for the vrr trolls I'd be happy if ps5 never got it to be honest, but at least when it does vrr won't be the main discussion point of these threads

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Actually, I think devs are noticing in certain situations such as this, the series x can't keep up with PS5 framerate at the same resolution. But sometimes the series x still has more headroom for resolution. For example, in AC Valhalla, the devs had to lower resolution below PS5 in order to better maintain 60fps. I think we see situations such as assetto corsa because devs want to give series x a win with resolution as opposed to series x maybe having same framerate but at a lower resolution than PS5.

Lysandros

Actually, I think devs are noticing in certain situations such as this, the series x can't keep up with PS5 framerate at the same resolution. But sometimes the series x still has more headroom for resolution. For example, in AC Valhalla, the devs had to lower resolution below PS5 in order to better maintain 60fps. I think we see situations such as assetto corsa because devs want to give series x a win with resolution as opposed to series x maybe having same framerate but at a lower resolution than PS5.
Why would they even want to do this, what's the purpose? Over reliece on VRR seems more likely to me. Although i think that even with as agressive DRS on XSX PS5 would still run this game slightly better/with higher shadow resolution. But it should certainly help.

Last edited:

Shmunter

The fuck is that frame rate on the XsX? They should have lowered the res to match the PS5s

I wouldn't be worried about replay frame rates as I don't generally watch them.

The shadow difference was instantly noticeable
Likely lowering the frame buffer didn’t yield appreciable results. Bottlenecks elsewhere.

The split ram is the likely culprit in the XsX, no other way to explain it.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
It's obviously a developer choice to push image clarity, it's nothing to do with VRR.
Agreed.

If they could achieve more stable framerate on series x at same resolution as PS5, they would've done so. I mean, It's a racing sim for christ sake.

Riky

$MSFT
Agreed.

If they could achieve more stable framerate on series x at same resolution as PS5, they would've done so. I mean, It's a racing sim for christ sake.

They want to push image clarity, that's why the lower bound on Xbox One X is much higher than PS5. Even PS4 Pro lower bound is higher and that doesn't have VRR, so it's obviously just developer choice.

onQ123

The unofficial ‘most powerful console’ is going to have to be made official soon me thinks

Someone tried to explain how it was going to go down but no one listened

Lysandros

Because that assumes developers are clueless and don't realize the vast majority of players don't have vrr displays.
Maybe, but i still think it's better than an arbitrary wish to give XSX a resolution edge at expense of substantial performance.

Last edited:
Nice to see that console players can experience this game also.
Absolutely, with this and GT7 I am having a wonderful time with racing games at the moment. I wasn't even going to buy GT7 for a while because of this release but so many of the reviewers I tend to listen to were having such a good time with the game that I couldn't resist.
I would have been very happy with just this for a very long time as it's so good at what it does.
it's certainly not the best looking driving game at the moment, as people point out but they're not the largest of studios and they've really concentrated on getting the handling right and really can feel that they're really throwing a lot of numbers around in terms of the handling model.
That's not to suggest that it doesn't look good because playing the PS5 version is fantastic, it's certainly not pushing any boundaries in terms of visuals in these versions and it could certainly do with a bit of a polish here and there but I am very happy with how it looks. The last gen versions were a bit of a mess really but I am more than happy with this.
Admittedly, it takes such concentration when playing it on a pad (got rid of my last wheel years ago) that it could be either the best or worst looking game ever produced and I'd be concentrating so hard on just not crashing/exploding/dying in the game that I likely wouldn't notice the difference. As Oliver mentioned in teh analysis, they've actually done a really good job with the DualSense controls but you'll obviously never get the same range of movement and sensitivity as you'll get from a decent wheel.
I really can recommend this to people but just be prepared that if you're not used to this level of simulation that it is going to take time to be able to keep up with what it expects of you. I do recommend people picking up the GT4 in particular, simply because GT4 will always be far more interesting than GT3 in terms of racing and also because if you are new to this sort of thing, it does give you a slightly shallower learning curve to deal with.

ethomaz

Banned
Maybe, but i still think it's better than an arbitrary wish to give XSX a resolution edge at expense of substantial performance.
I don’t think either is better than the previous Tools excuse.

It is after all just theories… only the dev knows.

Topher

Gold Member
In replays, but in gameplay the XSX is in the 50s

"Series X mostly holds 60fps with lower car count races in clear conditions, with some occasional dips. Amp up the complexity a little by adding some heavy weather, however, and frame-rates hover in the mid to low 50s with occasional drops to the 40s, with replays that can hit performance levels as low as the mid 30s."

Shmunter

The devs do QA and know perfectly well the resulting performance. If lowering the rez were to be the fix, it would be the easiest fix available. There is something else going on with the machines architecture making it impractical to resolve.

This is just a common sense conclusion. I predict this is going to become an increasing issue going forward. Added optimisation and workarounds for the Series consoles will not be sought after considering time and budget is already stretched dealing with the 2 sku’s.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
"Series X mostly holds 60fps with lower car count races in clear conditions, with some occasional dips. Amp up the complexity a little by adding some heavy weather, however, and frame-rates hover in the mid to low 50s with occasional drops to the 40s, with replays that can hit performance levels as low as the mid 30s."

Yes, dont know why you missed that mid to low 50s is the most common fps during stressful situations in the OP.

Lysandros

Of course, just theories in the end we can not be sure. By the way i am personally not seaching for 'excuses', a machine can very well simply outperform the other based on engine/architecture preference. I just think that with a more agressive DRS on XSX the performance gap would be less unless there is something preventing the linear scaling along the pipeline.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Mqybe original comment was poorly worded. I'm trying to say that for series x, resolution wasn't the bottleneck for higher framerate. If they applied same drs range of ps5 to series x, PS5 would still have higher framerate. but they could still push resolution higher on series x and achieve respectable framerate, so why not.

Shmunter

Of course, just theories in the end we can not be sure. By the way i am personally not seaching for 'excuses', a machine can very well simply outperform the other based on engine/architecture preference. I just think that with a more agressive DRS on XSX the performance gap would be less unless there is something preventing the linear scaling along the pipeline.
The thing is, how does a conversation like this go?

Sir, PS5 is locked 60, but Xbox is dropping to 40.
Ship it
But sir, why don’t we just spend 2 minutes in the Xbox ini file to adjust the resolution
Nah, F those green rats, ship it

🤔

Or, they played with the ini file, didn’t claw back the performance and gave up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom