• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Call of Duty Vanguard PS5 vs Series X/S. 60 and 120 fps modes tested.

Obligatory reminder that draws are PS5 victories.

But still, what a waste.
Why can't anyone develop good and interesting WW games? Just the same shit, with those bigger than life stories.
Just make a game with few missions but long missions that represent what an actual battle must looked like and let the players free to fight or die.

oxman2k

Didn't cold war have the same type of problem with frame rate drops,couldn't you then play the same part of the game again and next time have no drops.

Last edited:

Duchess

I would like to think that the freezes and hitches are being caused by IO; the game is stalled for a moment while it writes a load of stuff to disc, to save your progress and set a checkpoint.

But it'll be the first time I'll have seen something like that cause machines to behave like that in a very, very long time (probably back in the early 2000s).

Edit: forgot to add that the SSDs should still make it lightning fast, so it's likely something else entirely.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

82lUZNu.jpg

Have we seen 0fps since Fallout 4 on Xbox One? How can Sledgehammer miss this?
How the fuck is that even possible? I thought at least the CoD games would be well optimized at launch.

oxman2k

They need to re test this and change graphic settings eg fidelity,streaming,blur,etc on and off to see if any of these make a difference

Darsxx82

I think we will all agree that the surprising winner here is XSS. 😂

That being said, I think the checkpoint problem should have a solution.

PS: Very strange and regrettable the use of pre-recorded scenes and interleaved cutscenes that go to 24fps or 30fps in the middle of the gameplay. LOL

Last edited:

skit_data

The only really good thing to come out of Activision in recent years are their remakes and Sekiro and now they’ve folded Toys for Bob into WoW development and pretty much closed down Vicarious Visions.

Sad to see.

S0ULZB0URNE

Streaming or checkpoint-related stutters and straight-up half a second freezes just don't make any sense with SSDs inside these machines. They need to sort their engine out.
Well when you gotta program for older setups... limitations can rear they're ugly heads and we take into account the engine is based on a 1998 engine, it's even more pathetic.

kingfey

Banned
Wasn't the game in production for 3 years?
"Originally the three-year primary developer rotation cycle between Infinity Ward, Treyarch and Sledgehammer Games, in which the model was first introduced in 2012, it was expected to be continued in 2020 with Sledgehammer taking the lead to create a new Call of Duty entry alongside Raven Software. Due to conflicts of interest between the two, responsibilities were shifted to Treyarch as they took control over the project, which resulted in developing Black Ops Cold War in 2020.[22]"

This is what I got. It seems there was something going between the studios. Considering Activision had to mobilize most of their studios to help the game. The 3 year was the cold war. We have no clue what time it started.

But this bit seems to be interesting
"After WWII was released, the studio went through a rebuilding process regarding the organisational structure. In an interview made by VentureBeat about the rebuilding and the path leading Sledgehammer Games to develop Vanguard, Studio Head Aaron Halon highlighted that "[...] we love our legacy and what we’ve created, but we also wanted to think about the future of the studio and how we could set ourselves up to be even stronger. [...] we're proud of the decisions we’ve made along the way that have led us to where we're at today with Call of Duty: Vanguard."[21]"

It could be the reason why activation wanted the game to be developed fast.

omegasc

It'll solve the screen tearing for sure, don't know about 15fps though, I'll have to test it.
Most TVs VRR are on the 40~120 range, but even so, with the fps going up and down this much... I am not sure it would be unnoticeable.
On my C9 + RTX3080, while playing Borderlands 3 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider I found out that it is best to stay above 80fps, with 60+ being noticeable when you really look for it. It is not distracting at 60+, though.

Patching those hiccups might not be easy though, as they would certainly do it before reviews, or at least acknowledge beforehand and say they were working on it. But what do I know?
Game looks solid otherwise, on all systems. Shout out to the Series S! Sometimes it really delivers.

edit: just to clarify, if the target is 120 and framerates go down to 60, I can notice it. When target is 60, as long as it stays above 40 I think my eyes "adjust" since the max was 60 and it feels smooth as well. I am not saying VRR does not work below 60!

Last edited:

Lysandros

Interesting, some users are claiming that they aren't experiecing any freezes while playing on PS5. In the last game there was also a check point related bug if i remember correctly. This was later fixed.

Edder1

Interesting how NX Gamer skipped through a lot of the issues that were mentioned in the video, I find it difficult to understand how he didn't notice them.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's insane to me, that they are still building this on old Quake engine (wonder how much code is there just sitting without doing anything), Activision should just get the Raven software to wrote them special engine tailored for these types of games. Whole new netcode and shit.

In the other terms this is PS5 win and I might add that Series S performance is fucking impressive in this case.

aries_71

They should give an option to turn off auto-saving and checkpoints. Let me manually save, but don’t give me this shitty stutter 99% of the games have when doing checkpoints.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Crazy to see the first part where the ps5 is handing it to the xbox in the 120 fps mode then the next two scenes you have the xbox vearing the ps5 by the same fps. It's literally like it's a coin toss depending on the scene and each console just trades performance lol.

A draw with both having weird issues that are blatantly the software. Needs revisiting after a few patches.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Does these pauses 100% happen on the ps5 version. Like everyone playing this sees these stutters?

If so, did NXGAMER not get the hitches?

DaGwaphics

Series S owners rejoice!

1440p resolution at 60fps identical to PS5/XSX. Lighting, Geometry draw and shadowing appear identical with the only difference being the 1440p resolution.

Thomas_Tank_Engine_1.JPG

XSS even got the high frame mode this time, not really too high, but still.

Zathalus

The game seems to be a bit of a technical mess on both consoles.

I predict similar technical problems for 2042.

MistBreeze

actually every time I see console comparison this gen I feel these videos are not worth it

the consoles this gen seems mostly identical most of the time aside from some games favor ps5 or series x and even then it is some unnoticeable resolution differences or couple of frames here and there

with every console graphics presets are identical across the boards and can achieve 60fps or 120 fps as needed with drs techniques
yes even series s

ethomaz

Banned
Seems weird the DF articles lacking which resolution is really running in each platform… they stopped to give that info some comparisons before… I wonder if it is something they mandate internally to all comparisons makers.

Now just VGTech can save us with actual info.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
A 120 mode that doesn't hit 120 and sits often between 60 and 80. Not sure it was really worth having. Really needs a lower res target on that mode.
We don’t know if the resolution target is or not lowered… in the article they just tell the peak lol

The lack of minimum and average resolutions makes the discussion about that really impossible.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
actually every time I see console comparison this gen I feel these videos are not worth it
They were never worth it.

The vast, vast, vast majority of people have one Xbox or PlayStation console and comparison between the two systems never was some sort of buyer's guide, just fanboy ammo.

People aren't, in the most part, changing console because one of them is doing better, they still just buy games for the system they own.

We all ought to boycott these videos and just enjoy games.

Last edited:

chonga

We don’t know if the resolution target not already lowered… in the article they just tell the peak lol

The lack of minimum and average resolutions makes the discussion about that really impossible.
But the peak is lower, and whatever the floor is, it clearly needs lowering even more.

Top Bottom