• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Chernobylite Ray Tracing Analysis: Gorgeous on PC, but what about PS5?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Sci-fi, survival horror, RPG. Chernobylite has elements from a wide range of gaming genres, but does it also tick the box labelled 'ray tracing showcase'? After its recent launch on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S, Alex Battaglia investigates the game's ray tracing features and shows how the PC version stacks up against the PS5 release.

Last edited:

adamsapple

- Whole suite of RT effects (on PC)
- PC version has an exclusive "virtual tourism" to just explore.
- High texture quality and all vegetation is captured in RT reflections.
- RT on Translucency , caustics and GI are praised

- PC version with RT on low causes 34% performance loss.
- High and Ultra refine effects with similar big performance losses with each tier.
- Alex mentions his recommended settings during the course of the video on PC.

- PS5 has Performance mode (1080p/60 and no RT) and Quality mode 1512p / 30 FPS with RT.
- PS5 makes cuts in RT GI, caustics, translucency.
- Rt reflections are included but quality is below the Low preset on PC and more aggressive culling and draw distance range.

- Video ends with Alex talking about the dreaded shader compilation stutter on PC that happens every time something happens for the first time.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
PC

fire.gif

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Unreal Engine gonna Unreal.
I really do wonder how The Coalition basically killed all stuttering even on relatively low end hardware yet basically every Unreal Engine game these days still has stuttering.

But they really went all out with the effects, even translucency?
But I guess there isnt too much translucency so they could play with that setting.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Unreal Engine gonna Unreal.
I really do wonder how The Coalition basically killed all stuttering even on relatively low end hardware yet basically every Unreal Engine game these days still has stuttering.

But they really went all out with the effects, even translucency?
But I guess there isnt too much translucency so they could play with that setting.
I’m seriously unimpressed with the stuttering still in 2022. Time this was eradicated for good.

Black_Stride

Sure, everyone have an i9 10900k and a RTX 3090.

What about RTX 2070/3060 / Ryzen 5/i5 settings ?
We saw RTX2060 + R3600...choose Medium RT just gauge your resolution/DLSS level.
Add like 10 frames to get to 2070, so on and so forth.
Cant really test every possible setup available.
The RTX2060 is basically ancient at this point, we should be glad he even bothered.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's rational to compare a $3000-4000 PC to a $500 console. It's funny how 1660 PC's aren't the PC standard when compared to consoles, when they fucking are! But hey, PC gaming is only true for 1-2% of PC gamers.

Also what's the matter with Xbox Series X? Why it's not the "standard" of console RT? Seen plenty of so-called xbox influencers talking about how RT is overrated and doesn't matter?

Last edited:
I'd rather play it at +120 fps than have some reflections I'll never notice and brighter areas once in a while. Raytracing current gen is not worth it, regardless if its ddgi, rtgi, shadows, etc. Maybe once the 5k series hit and ps6 is out we will finally have games built from ground up with ray traced lighting. Until then, high framerate + high resolution wins.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
- Whole suite of RT effects (on PC)
- PC version has an exclusive "virtual tourism" to just explore.
- High texture quality and all vegetation is captured in RT reflections.
- RT on Translucency , caustics and GI are praised

- PC version with RT on low causes 34% performance loss.
- High and Ultra refine effects with similar big performance losses with each tier.
- Alex mentions his recommended settings during the course of the video on PC.

- PS5 has Performance mode (1080p/60 and no RT) and Quality mode 1512p / 30 FPS with RT.
- PS5 makes cuts in RT GI, caustics, translucency.
- Rt reflections are included but quality is below the Low preset on PC and more aggressive culling and draw distance range.

- Video ends with Alex talking about the dreaded shader compilation stutter on PC that happens every time something happens for the first time.
awful stutter on pc it seems.

sircaw

Banned
It's rational to compare a $3000-4000 PC to a $500 console. It's funny how 1660 PC's aren't the PC standard when compared to consoles, when they fucking are! But hey, PC gaming is only true for 1-2% of PC gamers.

Also what's the matter with Xbox Series X? Why it's not the "standard" of console RT? Seen plenty of so-called xbox influencers talking about how RT is overrated and doesn't matter?
Yep, it's fucking ridiculous about some of these comparisons videos, Let's start with a graphics card that costs 4 times more than the console, then go into detail about how many sacrifices the console has made to reach its raytracing target.

Like no shit Sherlock,

If they are going to make comparisons, stick to console vs console and have PC as its own platform.

God damn digital foundry, you have one job, do it correctly.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Alex doesn't have an Xbox, ya clown.

If you want to see the differences in consoles, this is the only source from the developers themselves:

-

Both SX and SS version use FSR. SX uses FSR to upscale the same 1512p as the PS5 to 2160p. PS5 version does not have FSR so it has no upscaling from 1512p to 2160p.

Do you take advantage of AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) on next-gen consoles?

FSR was used in the Chernobylite version for the Xbox series X | S consoles. In the case of the Series X we are talking about upscaling in "Resolution" mode from 1512p to 4K, and in "Performance" mode from 1080p to 4K. On a slightly weaker version of the Series S, the only change concerns the "Performance" mode, where we have an upscaling of 900p to 1440p.

Last edited:

MikeM

Yep, it's fucking ridiculous about some of these comparisons videos, Let's start with a graphics card that costs 4 times more than the console, then go into detail about how many sacrifices the console has made to reach its raytracing target.

Like no shit Sherlock,

If they are going to make comparisons, stick to console vs console and have PC as its own platform.

Nothing wrong with pointing out the cutbacks. Its objective. What they should do is include the pricing of their current hardware vs the consoles to drive home the value they bring.

sircaw

Banned
Nothing wrong with pointing out the cutbacks. Its objective. What they should do is include the pricing of their current hardware vs the consoles to drive home the value they bring.
yep, that would be a good option, i still believe they should have separate videos for this.

This is like having a top gear episode with a Ferrari vs a morris minor

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Now we know where his HDMI 2.1 TV budget went. 🤭

adamsapple

PlayStation is a bigger brand. Videos tend to get more clicks when it is mentioned in the headlines. Whether or not Xbox gets better performance would be irrelevant.

Alex doesn't own an Xbox, only a PS5 and whatever PC sets he has. If Tom or John were doing this video, it'd have an Xbox comparison as well.

-

According to the developer themselves, the Xbox console versions are the only ones which use FSR right now (thanks to it being a part of the GDK no doubt).

So it's a lot safer to say the SX version would have better IQ, unless we get a direct comparison.

Black_Stride

Its comparing the game at its or about its peak with the console version.
He literally even says this game at "max" is for future hardware.

If you think its more rational to compare a ~500 dollar PC to the PS5 version of the game we have very different understandings of what a rational comparison would be when comparing the PC version of a game and the console version of the game.
Noting this was more a showcase of the PC version of the game and its technology......the PS5 shows up more as a visitor because we gotta get them clicks.

Who the fuck wants to see the PC version running purely with console version settings while also Vsync'd to 60fps, at the exact same resolution as the console version?

For people who seeming hate DF so much you guys sure consume a bunch of their content and seemingly cant stay out of DF threads.

Banned

This has being almost all comparisons done by DF since a while (since the guy got hired basically). Those comparisons are totally useless for the vast majority of players. It's like their main purpose is to make the PS5 version looks bad for the sake of it.

wtf? he Literally tells you in the video which GPU class you need to run the game in different resolutions.

RTX2070 Super can do 1080p60 with RT on Medium
that basically also tells you that you'll get ~1440p30fps out of that card with the same settings most likely.

so to match PS5 you need a 2060 most likely (currently available for ~380€, which is above MSRP, MSRP is 320€), but you can't really match it because the PS5 has different RT settings than available on PC without tweaking it with something like UE4 Unlocker

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

At least you know what to expect on consoles when PlayStation 6 Pro drops.

assurdum

Banned
Wait a second so Alex has neither compared the ps5 performance to a comparable pc rig this time? Hope to have understood wrong.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Like no shit Sherlock,

Maybe they are showing the best of both "worlds"? For people that can choose which version to play?

I Master l

Banned
How many times Alex have to talk about shader compilation stutter issue on PC ?
He sound like a broken record at this point

Black_Stride

Tired of games using perfect reflections for every surface when in real life most reflections are rough and blurry.

The glass window on that jeep was old and dirty yet on ultra the leaves are perfectly shaped and the window seems to reflect perfectly like a mirror.
Its down to the roughness map settings.
And also that most games dont use any sort of displacement or bother modelling that near no surface is actually perfectly flat, a glossy near perfect surface will have "sharp" reflections most render engines bypass that with some roughness map or noise map in the displacement to "break" the reflection.

Different levels of roughness and clearly "not" perfectly flat glass panels:
stock-photo-looking-in-through-a-large-dirty-window-with-reflections-in-the-glass-44645002.jpg

One of the challenges in modelling "large" buildings and glass panels is making sure the reflections on the glass panels arent perfect reflections.
I literally have Noise map -> Blur node -> displacent/bump channel, just to try replicating this effect....quite a waste of ram/vram but hey.
2020-11-16_08h40_11.png

Notice how the reflection while sharp is kinda wavey, thats cuz getting perfectly flat glass is hard.

assurdum

Banned
Its comparing the game at its or about its peak with the console version.
He literally even says this game at "max" is for future hardware.

If you think its more rational to compare a ~500 dollar PC to the PS5 version of the game we have very different understandings of what a rational comparison would be when comparing the PC version of a game and the console version of the game.
Noting this was more a showcase of the PC version of the game and its technology......the PS5 shows up more as a visitor because we gotta get them clicks.

Who the fuck wants to see the PC version running purely with console version settings while also Vsync'd to 60fps, at the exact same resolution as the console version?

For people who seeming hate DF so much you guys sure consume a bunch of their content and seemingly cant stay out of DF threads.
So wait he neither showed a pc rig close to the ps5 specs this time and you think it's a reasonable choice? Lol. I think it's ok to show how runs in a beasty pc but why not show also how stack up the ps5 version against a similar pc hardware? Of course it's interesting, it gives an idea how worth it is it the ps5 hardware for his price. I thought tech comparison was about to evaluate how the hardwares mentioned are price worthy or less.

Last edited:

Zathalus

So wait he neither showed a pc rig close to the ps5 specs this time and you think it's a reasonable choice? Lol. I think it's ok to show how runs in a beasty pc but why not show also how stack up the ps5 version against a similar pc hardware? Of course it's interesting, it gives an idea how worth it is it the ps5 hardware for his price. I thought tech comparison was about to evaluate how hardware are price worthy.
There is a comparison with a Geforce 2060 as well.

Black_Stride

So wait he neither showed a pc rig close to the ps5 specs this time and you think he did right? Lol.
Ill assume the 2060S/2070 is "close" to the PS5 specs. (I dont even know how I would actually gauge that)
He did show a 2060S but there are no settings that perfectly match the PS5, he just got decent settings for said card.

But if hes trying to show the game at its best and show off the technology, loading the game up on a 1660 would be pointless.

Its like testing a new super car by driving it through mumbai traffic....sure someone out there will appreciate it.....but most will be like who gives a shit.
You are telling me about the cool tech in this game, let me see the game at its best.

Banned
So wait he neither showed a pc rig close to the ps5 specs this time and you think he did right? Lol. I think it's ok to show how runs in a beasty pc but why not show also how stack up the ps5 version against a similar pc hardware? Of course it's interesting how it's not, it gives an idea how worth it is it the ps5 hardware for his price.

but he did show... he showed an RTX2060 running with RT low at 1080p >60FPS
and an RTX2070 Super with RT Medium at 1080p >60FPS

the PS5 is somewhere in between these 2 and hard to actually stack up due to the custom settings the PS5 uses.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
So wait he neither showed a pc rig close to the ps5 specs this time and you think it's a reasonable choice? Lol. I think it's ok to show how runs in a beasty pc but why not show also how stack up the ps5 version against a similar pc hardware? Of course it's interesting, it gives an idea how worth it is it the ps5 hardware for his price. I thought tech comparison was about to evaluate how hardware are price worthy or less.
Because until PS5 can do everything (or more) than pc can, price difference is irrelevant. PC is not about only performance.

assurdum

Banned
Ill assume the 2060S/2070 is "close" to the PS5 specs. (I dont even know how I would actually gauge that)
He did show a 2060S but there are no settings that perfectly match the PS5, he just got decent settings for said card.

But if hes trying to show the game at its best and show off the technology, loading the game up on a 1660 would be pointless.

Its like testing a new super car by driving it through mumbai traffic....sure someone out there will appreciate it.....but most will be like who gives a shit.
You are telling me about the cool tech in this game, let me see the game at its best.
Ah ok. I thought the video was just about a super pumped pc vs the ps5. My apologies then. Though Nvidia GPU are extremely more powerful than AMD GPU in raytracing and I don't know how fair it's compare their performance Vs the ps5.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I'm sure XSX is super similar to PS5, it's just the fact that PC vs. PS5 gets more clicks on YT. It's all about that algorithm.

assurdum

Banned
I'm sure XSX is super similar to PS5, it's just the fact that PC vs. PS5 gets more clicks on YT. It's all about that algorithm.
I guess the difference are not worth it to use XSX. Anyway I found laughable people think Alex has choice the ps5 just because it hasn't the XSX. If I'm not wrong in Metro Exodus he did a comparison between the XSX and the pc version, so if he really was interested about it ...

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
No one plays games on PC to have the exactly same experiences than on console. If so there would not have any reason to play games on PC as the hardware prices are higher.
With all respect this one of the most stupid excuse I have heard about this matter. It's still interesting to show how much you have to pay to build a pc rig to reach similar performance to the ps5.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Alex doesn't own an Xbox, only a PS5 and whatever PC sets he has. If Tom or John were doing this video, it'd have an Xbox comparison as well.

-

According to the developer themselves, the Xbox console versions are the only ones which use FSR right now (thanks to it being a part of the GDK no doubt).

So it's a lot safer to say the SX version would have better IQ, unless we get a direct comparison.

Will be interesting to see FSR on a console game. Especially once we get around to FSR 2.

Top Bottom