• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Chernobylite Ray Tracing Analysis: Gorgeous on PC, but what about PS5?

DukeNukem00

Banned
Here's a simple fact: Horizon FW, hell even Zero Dawn looks miles better than Dying Light 2 ever will and those game have no RT. The magic of actual artistical talent. Dying Light 2 is a shit example because how poor the devs designed the game. The first game looks miles better. Imagine saying having a smooth experience vs better shadows is coping. Lmfao, where do you posters come from? I have nothing agaisnt RT, but as of now, it's not viable at all, even with DLSS. Maybe in the next 4 years. Enjoy your better shadows.

Thats a nice fact, but nobody was talking about random games. We're talking about your factually incorrect claims in previous posts. Who said having a smoother framerate is coping ? I in fact specifically said its understandable in your case that you would turn off RT due to lacking hardware. You're so interested in being histerical that you cant even read right.

The fact that RT is 100% viable is a provable fact. You say you dont have anything against RT but you sure do take time to mention with every ocassion how shit it is and "not viable". When every RT game that has ever been released is 100% viable at above 60 frames.

yamaci17

It's pointless I tell ya, RT is a waste /s

Unfortunately it's going to be another 60fps scenario, it wont matter or isn't noticeable until consoles are bringing the RT works mid refresh or next gen.

well they have metro exodus ee with infinite bounce rt lighting... it is up to them to appreciate or not

yamaci17

Thats a nice fact, but nobody was talking about random games. We're talking about your factually incorrect claims in previous posts. Who said having a smoother framerate is coping ? I in fact specifically said its understandable in your case that you would turn off RT due to lacking hardware. You're so interested in being histerical that you cant even read right.

The fact that RT is 100% viable is a provable fact. You say you dont have anything against RT but you sure do take time to mention with every ocassion how shit it is and "not viable". When every RT game that has ever been released is 100% viable at above 60 frames.

i tried to simulate a 3050 at 700 mhz (managed to match rt performance in couple other titles at this frequency with my 3070, legit)

pretty decent performance. only at 73 watts

q5DkpdB.png
Q3LLr5j.png

i mean this is the lowest end RT money can afford. it is even worse than a 2060, IIRC. imagine having a tad bit better GPU...

Last edited:

yamaci17

btw this is what dlss at 1080p looks like

so... it is actually usable at 1080p. now imagine it at 1440p and 4k where it has more pixels to work with. yeah. no brainer. but lets... not mention that, shall we? its not like nvidia has not provided a solid and viable way to get higher frames at 1440p and 4k. even at 1080p for GPUs like 3050/2060 where it still provides acceptable results

i still hope for a ultra quality mode for DLSS where it renders at %85. or just make DLAA the standard :)

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It's not a marketing stunt. It works, and some developers are better than others at it (see: Insomniac, which even improved it more in recent patches).

It's just the first we are seeing it, and it should improve over the generations. Still not bad at all for $400/$500 boxes in comparison.
For reflections only, the most meh use of RT. GI, shadows/AO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> reflections.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Metro used GI on consoles.
Yes they did but at a very low sampling rate. And I wouldn't assume that all developers have the talent that 4A games has. 4A has been pioneers of graphics features for years. It's quite clear that they aren't just a bunch of indie developers that is copying/pasting code from graphics papers and every dev studio can do the same.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Last gen assets game with RT. Let's wait and see a current gen game with GI.
Yes they did but at a very low sampling rate. And I wouldn't assume that all developers have the talent that 4A games has. 4A has been pioneers of graphics features for years. It's quite clear that they aren't just a bunch of indie developers that is copying/pasting code from graphics papers and every dev studio can do the same.
It still used GI, that is all I said.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If by "it works" you mean on last gen games with lowest samples, then you are right.
Why does everything have to be a dick measure?

Does it work? Yes.

But. but, but.... iTs nOt aS gOoD

No shit. You get a cookie and your purchase has been validated, please pass go.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Does it work? Yes.

But. but, but.... iTs nOt aS gOoD

No shit. You get a cookie and your purchase has been validated, please pass go.
It works on last gen games right now. Will we be stuck with last gen games with RT the entire PS5 gen?

DukeNukem00

Banned

Does it work? Yes.

But. but, but....

I dont think the guys meant it as a dick measure. It just needs to be put into context what Metro did. It has a very small and completely static world, plus it lowered the geometric and texture fidelity from the original release for the Enhanced one in order to do the RT that it did. We need context for this so we understand that even if game X did something, it was a very particular case and doesnt mean every game ever can do the same

btw this is what dlss at 1080p looks like

so... it is actually usable at 1080p. now imagine it at 1440p and 4k where it has more pixels to work with. yeah. no brainer. but lets... not mention that, shall we? its not like nvidia has not provided a solid and viable way to get higher frames at 1440p and 4k. even at 1080p for GPUs like 3050/2060 where it still provides acceptable results

i still hope for a ultra quality mode for DLSS where it renders at %85. or just make DLAA the standard :)
Metro Exodus, 1080p dlss quality mode (I have to do this in order to hit 120fps on 3060) is shockingly good looking. I mean it's 720p internally.

Dlss is the closest thing to magic we have seen in a while lol.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It works on last gen games right now. Will we be stuck with last gen games with RT the entire PS5 gen?
We will find out once they start coming out.
I dont think the guys meant it as a dick measure. It just needs to be put into context what Metro did. It has a very small and completely static world, plus it lowered the geometric and texture fidelity from the original release for the Enhanced one in order to do the RT that it did. We need context for this so we understand that even if game X did something, it was a very particular case and doesnt mean every game ever can do the same
We know what Metro did, we have had threads on it at the time. It just seems like anytime something is mentioned, excuses seem to come out as to why, rather than, "yeah, it's not marketing because it has been utilized already."

The original comment of mine was that it wasn't marketing, that they have employed tequniques, early on as well. We shall see what next-gen engines will employ in the coming years.

DaGwaphics

Those will never be open world or sandbox games that rely on light probe GI solutions .

There was that office demo where it was mostly dark, and then with RT the lighting was more realistic but the scene lost the mood. I forget the name now. Then there are things like FH5, where I think the fake lighting is good enough and I wouldn't want to trade the performance for better reflections.

Obviously, the marbles demo and things like that are super impressive in any case. Not realistic for these consoles in the least, but still impressive.

There was that office demo where it was mostly dark, and then with RT the lighting was more realistic but the scene lost the mood. I forget the name now. Then there are things like FH5, where I think the fake lighting is good enough and I wouldn't want to trade the performance for better reflections.

Obviously, the marbles demo and things like that are super impressive in any case. Not realistic for these consoles in the least, but still impressive.
I think the way to go is to aim for RT full quality GI but if some aspects of the lighting/shadow needs to be exaggerated or toned down for artistic improvement, that can be done as well.

Definitely all real, 100% accurate all the time is not going to be the best solution in every case. But RT in general can and should be able to enhance every art style to some degree.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
consoles are capable of much more than this game , this is a low budget indie developer

Of course, Metro EE is one example where a bigger developer with a bigger budget retooled their entire engine pipeline and made one of the (still) rare console games with RTGI, and kept it 60 FPS.

Last edited:

Md Ray

It can use RT hardware, doesn't mean lighting is fully ray tracing.
Yes, it is fully ray traced on machines equipped with RT hardware i.e PS5, XSX, XSS, RTX, RDNA 2 GPUs. Matrix uses dynamic global illumination which is a part of Lumen in UE5, and Lumen is RT HW-accelerated when it runs on the above mentioned machines.

Last edited:
How many times Alex have to talk about shader compilation stutter issue on PC ?
He sound like a broken record at this point
No one in the industry seemed to care for proper frame pacing until Digital Foundry kept talking and talking and talking about it and we are finally at a place where some devs at least try to properly framepace their games.

Maybe we'll get there with shader compilation stutter as well.

VFXVeteran

Banned
It can use RT hardware, doesn't mean lighting is fully ray tracing.
I think I get what you are saying there.

Let's define full RT lighting: That means each of the following are using hardware RT
- Direct lighting : shadows, reflections and refractions
- Indirect lighting: GI + AO

Each one of these features can be implemented piece-meal. A full RT lighting solution would be using all of them at once. Most games will only pick parts of these to implement saving on bandwidth.

Reactions: Rea

VFXVeteran

Banned
My point was you can't make UE anymore optimized to make it do things outside of it's original code structure for consoles. You can modify certain things but making UE implement ultra settings like the PC (for example) on a console at a reasonable FPS isn't happening. Bandwidth just isn't there.

Top Bottom