• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Chrono Cross Remaster: PS5/Switch Tested - A Classic Returns... With Worse Performance Than PS1

Kokoloko85

Lol, don't hold your breath.

I know lol. I already have it on my psclassic & laptop but I would like to have my PS5/PS4 games with more PS1/2 classics etc. Damn you Sony lol.
Im just hoping because people said the same thing about Elden Ring and that got a decent patch

Shifty1897

I'm bumping this because this is pretty big:

If you own the steam/PC version of Chrono Cross: This unofficial patch will fix the FPS issue almost entirely. It's not a lock 60 but it runs much, much better. It's super easy to install too, just download the patch and select ChronoCross.exe in your steam library. This will also help a great deal with the input delay. It works in both classic mode and the New remastered mode

Patch is here.

If you haven't purchased the collection yet and you're interested in doing so, definitely buy the PC version and use it with this patch.
The mod community does what Squaredon't.

Porcile

Uhuh, check out the 13 sentinels port on Switch.

It's about actually giving a shit and SE doesn't.

I have the port and it is nicely done, they obviously gave it the time it deserves and were hopefully well compensated for their efforts. I support and buy Japanese games as much as anyone, but the unfortunate reality is that Japanese game dev is woefully underpaid for the skill and effort that it requires, and the longer it persists in that way, the further behind Japanese studios will eventually fall. This being a low budget affair isn't such a surprise because in general all Japanese games outside the big ones are low budget and high pressure affairs.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Tbf, watching the comparison on my iPad, the AI upscaling doesn’t look too bad. The original graphics on a 4K screen… dunno about that.

But performance? Even assuming there’s gameplay stuff tied to the framerate, there’s no reason this isn’t at least keeping a constant 30fps throughout.

Banned
Easy win For Xbox One/One X/Series X/Series S
...and Android, PC, Mac, Linux... anywhere you can easily get a PS1 emulator basically... PSP, almost forgot PSP lol, and of course Vita as it is backwards compatible with all things PSP :)

(not my video, someone luckily actually filmed themselves emulating Chrono Cross on Series S lol)

TL;DR, get an emulator folks, and play it that way... literally any phone gives you a superior experience compared to this "remaster"

The game running on Xbox Series X thorugh Duckstation is a better experience, 60 fps alone make it the best choice on console, forgive the awful artifacts and audio desync, I don't know what happened when recording but you get a taste of how superior it is to the official release.

this might be a good time to refresh everyone on the fact how easy it is to emulate consoles like the PS1 on any modern Xbox, be it One, One S, One X or Series S and X. it's literally as easy as clicking a link on your console's browser and installing the emulators

so if shit ports like these happen, you can just play the originals :)

there's a guy that is constantly uploading new versions of Retroarch as well as standalone versions of Duckstation (PS1 emu), PPSSPP (PSP emu) and Flycast (Dreamcast emu)

here's a link focusing mostly on Retroarch I made

and if you just wanna download one of the standalone emulators and don't need a tutorial, here's the link you need to click on using your Xbox's webbrowser
👇

apparently there's also a subreddit for Xbox homebrew and emulators now, haven't looked into that but here's a link to that

Last edited:
I have the port and it is nicely done, they obviously gave it the time it deserves and were hopefully well compensated for their efforts. I support and buy Japanese games as much as anyone, but the unfortunate reality is that Japanese game dev is woefully underpaid for the skill and effort that it requires, and the longer it persists in that way, the further behind Japanese studios will eventually fall. This being a low budget affair isn't such a surprise because in general all Japanese games outside the big ones are low budget and high pressure affairs.
All game dev is underpaid, Western or Japanese. But it is something you do out of passion as a young person until you find a real job.

This is like buying a SNES game that says remastered on the box but is using SuperSal 2x as a feature.

Ridiculous AI upscaling, and to be honest I don't think anything less than redrawn backgrounds should be in. Ai Upscaling can be used only as a first step, if you need to enlarge stuff to then redraw

Then there's the upscaling of dithering on skies, it's crazy. When I have to do this, I turn the skies or other part of the image to single color and ignore them, then restore how the original should look like by hand. With skies it's so easy that modern Photoshop has tools for that.
Supporting the Game to get a Remake of Chrono trigger.
Modern Square-Enix can't remake Chrono Trigger without taking 10 years and making it open world or something stupid.
This is not a remaster, is the original game emulated with some HQ assets injected.
it's quite bad regardless.

I could do better if I dumped the backgrounds and had to do it. I think they used waifu2x and called it a day.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is like buying a SNES game that says remastered on the box but is using SuperSal 2x as a feature.

Ridiculous AI upscaling, and to be honest I don't think anything less than redrawn backgrounds should be in. Ai Upscaling can be used only as a first step, if you need to enlarge stuff to then redraw

Then there's the upscaling of dithering on skies, it's crazy. When I have to do this, I turn the skies or other part of the image to single color and ignore them, then restore how the original should look like by hand. With skies it's so easy that modern Photoshop has tools for that.

This is worse, you wouldn't expect the emulated version to run WORSE than the original, like this does :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This is worse, you wouldn't expect the emulated version to run WORSE than the original, like this does :messenger_tears_of_joy:
That's true.

But what surprises me more is really the fact that they have the nerve to say shit like this:

Koichiro Sakamoto: (...) across the start of development, it was impossible to recreate the original version of the game across multiple platforms. We had to pore through the data that had been preserved and play through the original game ourselves to work out what was missing and restore it.

That required an enormous amount of effort from all the companies involved in development.
Source: https://blog.playstation.com/2022/0...rs-edition-remastering-a-classic/#sf255253049

So they lost at least parts of the source code and decided to rebuild it. But it's being suggested that the game is doing emulation instead. Makes no sense, and if they had the source code in the end, the performance makes even less sense.

Koichiro Sakamoto: Another big technical challenge that we faced on Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition came from the static backgrounds used in the game.

(...)

What we did back then was to create a 3D image, and then take a still capture of it. By using a still image for the background and moving the polygon characters around, we were able to depict depth and make it feel like a 3D space. It was a compromise between the realism that people wanted, and what we could realistically achieve with the hardware.

This is an approach the developers of Chrono Cross also took, but unfortunately, like many games of that era, the original 3D data before the prerender is no longer available – and that’s a problem.
Source: https://blog.playstation.com/2022/0...rs-edition-remastering-a-classic/#sf255253049

Chrono Cross backgrounds might have had 3D renders for select areas but it isn't a pre-rendered game at all. Even if it was every single one of them was touched up and basically painted over by Yasuyuki Honne. So this is stupid to say about a game like Chrono Cross. If they had such basic 3D data, it would look completly different than the final game, and basically unfinished.

There is very little that was pre-rendered in this Chrono Cross backgrounds album.

Koichiro Sakamoto: What we had to do when working on this Chrono Cross remaster was to take each existing pre-rendered image to as high a resolution as possible. We then upscaled that and manually built on some of them at an even higher resolution.

It’s a very difficult task. We used AI to help to sharpen the images, but that’s not perfect – everything still comes down to having manual processes or the “human touch” to make sure it all looked appropriate.

The backgrounds you see in the final release is the result of a lot of effort from the team
– something I’m very grateful to them for.

LOL.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Maybe I shouldn't buy this after all on Xbox, was pretty excited about this.

Use to see it all the time in Makro (UK) all the time as a kid, and wanted to play it just because it had sqauresoft on the box.

Teslerum

The mod community does what Squaredon't.
Mods for better backgrounds, better models, better portraits (for the new ones that got messed up like dark serge), better cinematics, restore censored text (while updating the script to use modern Chrono Trigger terms (DS+) which breaks the mind that Square didn't do this themselves considering they had time to comb the text for anything *problematic*, but apparently not to do their fucking diligence) and so on are all already in development.

Last edited:
Top Bottom