• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Crysis 2 Remastered PS5/Xbox Series S/X + ALL Last-Gen Versions Tested!

Arioco

-On PS5, PS4 Pro, Series X and One X resolution is between 2160p and 50% scale (1080p). Very aggressive DRS, resolution can change from one frame to the next. All version manage to stay above 1440p, rarely dropping below. John thinks you get the best IQ on Series X. Series S is 900p-1440p, but this one stays closer to that bottom. PS4 is fixed 1080p and Xbox One is fixed 900p.

- Pretty solid 30 fps on One S and PS4, PS4 Pro and One X with occasional checkpoint stutters (which were already present on the original). Perfect 60 fps os PS5 and Series X. Series S has some drops when there're lots of alpha transparencies, but it's rare.

- I'd like to stress this game is NOT a native app on next gen consoles. It's running in back compatibility mode. It runs great nonetheless.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Samuel L Jackson Movie GIF by Star Wars

Lone Wolf

A much better remaster than the piece of crap that was Crysis 1. Looks like all versions are solid, with PS5 and Xbox SX performing the same.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
didn't they say IQ was better on series X? so not the same?
I had to check again because it was such a brief [and only] mention. So John says, "you get the best picture quality on the Series X, but they are relatively the same". But neither he nor Alex says why. Is it the resolution, texture quality, IQ, or something else, they never mentioned. They also didn't show the actual differences either, apart from this one sentence. So take it as you will.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I had to check again because it was such a brief [and only] mention. So John says, "you get the best picture quality on the Series X, but they are relatively the same". But neither he nor Alex says why. Is it the resolution, texture quality, IQ, or something else, they never mentioned. They also didn't show the actual differences either, apart from this one sentence. So take it as you will.

well if they say that we have to take their word for it. We can’t pick and choose what we want to take from what they say. It’s either believe it or not.

not saying you do that at all, I just seen a lot do it on here

JaksGhost

well if they say that we have to take their word for it. We can’t pick and choose what we want to take from what they say. It’s either believe it or not.

not saying you do that at all, I just seen a lot do it on here
Well damn is it that serious :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Topher

Gold Member
So this game is not really a ps5 remastered but more of a ps4 remastered with bc (60fps) for ps5 Like mass effect ?

In terms of what we can show you today, Crysis 2 running on PlayStation 5 is fundamentally a cross-generational project - you're seeing the PS4 Pro codebase running on Sony's latest machine. It's back-compat plus then, with Crytek adopting a similar approach on Xbox Series consoles.

Last edited:
Do these have enough improvements to pick up on PS5 or should I just download the original releases EA were kind enough to furnish EA Play with on PC?

I say stick to PC. It still looks more than good enough with high settings.

Aye that's what I'm thinking seen as the 2080ti should be worth experimenting with for 4K/60. After reading more of the thread it seems these remasters are actually enhanced BC and not native anyway for PS5 & Series X/S

Isn't the point of a comparison to discuss those differences?

🤷‍♂️

Zathalus

Thanks. The fuck is "gen 9 aware"? BC but not BC?
Basically for both consoles it is using the full utilisation of the underlying hardware but not taking any advantage of newer feature sets that each console provides.

So, GPU, CPU and Memory speed is all used fully, but the IPC gains for both CPU/GPU are not used (so both consoles are running 25% slower GPU wise then they potentially can), also things like the new storage APIs, RT, Mesh/Primitive Shaders, VRS and all the other new goodies are not used.

Hence the console versions not using RT.

Basically for both consoles it is using the full utilisation of the underlying hardware but not taking any advantage of newer feature sets that each console provides.

So, GPU, CPU and Memory speed is all used fully, but the IPC gains for both CPU/GPU are not used (so both consoles are running 25% slower GPU wise then they potentially can), also things like the new storage APIs, RT, Mesh/Primitive Shaders, VRS and all the other new goodies are not used.

Hence the console versions not using RT.

So basically GCN flops instead of RDNA2 Flops?

I remember that's how Microsoft described BC with the Series consoles.

MikeM

I'm going to pick this up. The ongoing debate in my head now is PS5 or Series X.

Looking Let Me Think GIF by TipsyElves.com

EDIT: They also better not release a native PS5 or Series X version. Imma be pissed.

Last edited:

Lysandros

Sounds like a poor effort. Can be true, but If you make statement like that, you also owe the viewers a basis for it. Just say it.

Sounds like a poor effort. Can be true, but If you make statement like that, you also owe the viewers a basis for it. Just say it.

It shouldn't be difficult for them to do unless the differences are hardly noticeable. I mean they did point out things in the past like Shadow quality for example.

Zathalus

The best thing about Alex is how much some of you guys dislike him. Me and Alex both think it's hilarious.
Alex can be a smug PC master race type at times, and his dismissiveness of consoles can be aggravating as well.

That being said, the sheer hate he gets here is massively puzzling, or the fact that people think he is a Microsoft shill. He obviously knows his stuff, and I always find articles and videos from him to be worth it, he often spots things that others miss.

I guess he was dismissive of Playstation in the past and that got him his hate-club and the idea that people think he has a Microsoft bias, when he actually has a PC master race bias.

Top Bottom