• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Crysis 2 Remastered PS5/Xbox Series S/X + ALL Last-Gen Versions Tested!

MikeM

I didn't know that was the case with the PS5 as well. I don't remember it being mentioned in the Road to PS5.

Still it's interesting how much native ports matter.
Edit: I believe NXGamer mentioned that the PS5 will run games in three back compat modes: PS5 (full clocks), PS4 Pro (Ps4 Pro clocks), or PS4 (PS4 clocks). They all run in GCN emulation mode though so you don't get the RDNA2 benefits as someone else mentioned.

I also think that Sony improved it since launch as we have 120 FPS PS4 games now being played on PS5 (Warzone as an example).

Last edited:
I think they have updated the BC on PS5. Hence why we get 120 FPS PS4 games now played on PS5 (Warzone as an example).

For sure because that wasn't available before without a native version. I don't know what else they updated with regards to BC. Hopefully save transfers are part of what they will improve because it's an issue in some games.

Zathalus

I didn't know that was the case with the PS5 as well. I don't remember it being mentioned in the Road to PS5.

Still it's interesting how much native ports matter.
Yeah, it was mentioned in a DF article a while back. It makes sense as Native PS5 games do get a performance boost over the enhanced titles. Fallen Order springs to mind.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
No, Alex explicitly says it is not a native app.

Timestamped.

Not sure what you mean.

What is it that you no comprendes?

The text and the video explicitly say this is a BC+ title right?
But does that mean its a native PS5 game or a BC+ title?

In case it wasnt obvious im being facetious about this........wondering how people are failing to understand this is a BC+ title when its been explicitly said to be a BC+ title.

Yeah, it was mentioned in a DF article a while back. It makes sense as Native PS5 games do get a performance boost over the enhanced titles. Fallen Order springs to mind.
Sean Connery GIF by James Bond 007

Yep I definitely remember watching that video. I thought it was just access to higher clocks that did that but I guess it was other things as well.

Arioco

In case it wasnt obvious im being facetious about this........wondering how people are failing to understand this is a BC+ title when its been explicitly said to be a BC+ title.

Oh, I see,

I've already pointed out that this is a not native app in my summary. I mean, Alex has been very explicit about it.

Mr Moose

Do they say 4k DRS in the video? Watching now.
Hmm they do, weird.
What do they mean by "As you'll see from the debug info in the top-right of the screen, Crysis 2 Remastered runs at 1440p native resolution" then? :pie_thinking:
Thanks. The fuck is "gen 9 aware"? BC but not BC?
BC game with a 60fps (or 120fps) upgrade instead of just standard BC with no real improvements, I think.

Topher

Gold Member

I don't think I've seen games like this referred to as "BC+" or "gen 9 aware" before.

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

Fake

I had to check again because it was such a brief [and only] mention. So John says, "you get the best picture quality on the Series X, but they are relatively the same". But neither he nor Alex says why. Is it the resolution, texture quality, IQ, or something else, they never mentioned. They also didn't show the actual differences either, apart from this one sentence. So take it as you will.

PS5 = running PRO settings at 60 fps using DRS
Series X = running Xbox One X settings at 60 fps using DRS

Xbox One X settings > PRO settings

Alex can be a smug PC master race type at times, and his dismissiveness of consoles can be aggravating as well.

That being said, the sheer hate he gets here is massively puzzling, or the fact that people think he is a Microsoft shill. He obviously knows his stuff, and I always find articles and videos from him to be worth it, he often spots things that others miss.

I guess he was dismissive of Playstation in the past and that got him his hate-club and the idea that people think he has a Microsoft bias, when he actually has a PC master race bias.
He's purposely dismissive of consoles cause he likes when people throw a fit about plastic boxes. He likes PC and all his little comments are just too piss the shitty people who harass him and the other DF guys off.

I have mixed feelings about the color and lighting changes. Also I don't like how the particles, bloom and lens flares look now at points.

But at the same time the bloom could look really overblown at times on OG. I think mostly, they should have taken more care with the color grading, and particles/flares.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't know what df is smoking recently... the remaster looks super flat shaded at times. Still better than Alan Wake.
I love Crysis 2 and the remaster should be good to replay it. For AW I am sticking to original

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Well damn is it that serious :messenger_tears_of_joy:

hey you must see how people will praise digital foundry and then in the next thread call them Microsoft shills.

that's my point

look at the Tourist thread were its over 20 pages and then the next thread when another console performs better its a shit show lol. the tourist video was great BTW

just wish people would be a bit more balanced

SafeOrAlone

Banned
No FOV slider on console, unfortunately. Hopefully they'll do an update for next-gen consoles, because I do want to play 1 and 2 again.
Never did try 3.

Romulus

It all looks so underwhelming on even ps5/xsx. Switch port will be hilarious. The game was all about cutting edge graphics, and since graphical progress has diminished in the last ten years, we're left with one above average game that looks average. This is basically a high resolution 360 game with "enchancements."

I have mixed feelings about the color and lighting changes. Also I don't like how the particles, bloom and lens flares look now at points.

But at the same time the bloom could look really overblown at times on OG. I think mostly, they should have taken more care with the color grading, and particles/flares.
To quote myself because I am really disappointed at a lot of these remasters. Another thing i don't like is the indoor lighting. How it just looks so dark, where as on the original the gun was lit and everything popped more despite that being less realistic because WHO CARES it's a video game.

The original on PC still looks better. Not in all ways though.

So we are now seeing the OG crysis one still being superior and now crysis 2 and i'm guessing crysis 3 as well.

These companies should really put more thought into how artistic changes can matter more than technical ones.

ethomaz

Banned
After watch the video.

It is a poor effort comparison.
Let’s wait others outlet for better data.

Last edited:

intbal

This is a 7th gen game.
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X should have gotten a Performance Mode option. Even if it required 1080p with sub-HD DRS and reduced effects.

Never Forget: Prophet Murdered Alcatraz

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Im to lazy to read all your bullshit or watch the video so can someone just quote me the answer to the following question: who was this "another one" for ?

MikeM

I'm trying to find prices through the Xbox Store and PS Store and see the games as separate. Is the Trilogy only available on disc? Also, no prices are posted yet for digital versions?

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
So in your world, it's not grown up to dislike the views of someone who is consistently intellectually dishonest?

Ok... whatever.
It is not grown up to make a baseless statement and then when reached for a comment say ''Its basically in every video he's in'', thus providing no exact examples. Nobody can thus verify what you mean because if its so omni-present, one thing may have annoyed more than it would any other.

That's why people ask for examples so that statements such as yourselves gain prominence and coherency and aren't just hollow words.
I'm honestly curious, can you link me videos or articles where he was intellectually dishonest? And about what exactly?
Calling for actual facts usually does not land well with folks who just dislike on x and then not highlight why that is.

As is evidenced by the very reaction given:
It's basically in every video he's in. There's rarely a case where he's not dropping one clanger or another.
So you basically can't really point out a specific notion of this behavior, because its apparently omnipresent.

Noted.

You may also just say you made that original statement because it scores a lot of ''Hey i agree'' thumbs up likes. In fact i'd rather appreciate that then just making the statement as given.
Anytime he's discussing consoles, pretty much. It's a known quantity at this point.
Then it wouldn't be too hard to point out something specific, wouldn't you?

And why specifically Alex-only? Why not John or Rich or anyone else on the team? It surely cannot be that only Alex is doing this. *

* Note that i am not invested in that. I just watched an entertaining video.

"...which is why I brought Alex Battaglia here with me to talk about...."

Turned it off.

No thanks.

Not just him, but all of you that act like him.
Good job turning off your brain and refusing to listening and reason. Example:

I had to check again because it was such a brief [and only] mention. So John says, "you get the best picture quality on the Series X, but they are relatively the same". But neither he nor Alex says why. Is it the resolution, texture quality, IQ, or something else, they never mentioned. They also didn't show the actual differences either, apart from this one sentence. So take it as you will.

When talking about the resolutions they talk that the SeX is the best, of course it means the SeX runs at a higher resolution. There's too much small brain energy in this ridiculous Alex situation, you all acting like "snowflakes" melting at the sight if him. Man up!

Thanks. The fuck is "gen 9 aware"? BC but not BC?

It's called Forward Compatibility.

Last edited:
It is not grown up to make a baseless statement and then when reached for a comment say ''Its basically in every video he's in'', thus providing no exact examples. Nobody can thus verify what you mean because if its so omni-present, one thing may have annoyed more than it would any other.

That's why people ask for examples so that statements such as yourselves gain prominence and coherency and aren't just hollow words.

Calling for actual facts usually does not land well with folks who just dislike on x and then not highlight why that is.

As is evidenced by the very reaction given:

So you basically can't really point out a specific notion of this behavior, because its apparently omnipresent.

Noted.

You may also just say you made that original statement because it scores a lot of ''Hey i agree'' thumbs up likes. In fact i'd rather appreciate that then just making the statement as given.

Then it wouldn't be too hard to point out something specific, wouldn't you?

And why specifically Alex-only? Why not John or Rich or anyone else on the team? It surely cannot be that only Alex is doing this. *

* Note that i am not invested in that. I just watched an entertaining video.
It's true though. He gets little digs in about consoles in every video and no I'm not going to go back and find timestamps.

SkylineRKR

Might get this after all. Seems like a much better job than the first. I like Crysis 2 a lot and my experience was PS3. PC is not an option for me anyway. Its not a next-gen app and looks too sterile perhaps, but it performs rock solid according to DF.

Why can't developers get HDR right, still? Hitman 3 - totally broken HDR despite Hitman 1and Hitman 2 having really good HDR AND being included in the same collection as Hitman 3?

I don't see it ever getting fixed in Crysis 2. Crysis 1 remastered HDR is shit as well.

I hope they fix the aiming of Crysis 1 remastered on ps5 as well.

Wait I thought avengers PS5 was 2160cb on the horizontal axis?
Only in quality mode its 2160p where it looks great. In performance mode it's "checkerboard 1800p" but in reality the game doesn't come close to that. The other game that looks kinda shit due to aggressive DRS is the ps5 patched version of Division 2.

Top Bottom