• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Crysis 3 Remastered: PS5, Xbox Series X/S + PS4/Pro, Xbox One/One X - Total Coverage!

Arioco

- It's not a native app on PS5 and Series X/S. PS5 and Series X are identical, 1080p-2160p. Series X might have a slight DRS advantage, but nothing to write home about. It's difficult to say because rez change from frame to frame. Series S is 900p-1440p, usually in the 900p-1080p range, and LOD is a little dialed back. Flawless 60 fps on PS5 and Series X. PS5 suffers more the checkpoint stutter the game has always had. Some small dips in Series S.

- PS4 Pro and One X is basically the same thing (DRS 1080p-2160p) but running at 30 fps. One X has a clear advantage in resolution. Both of them run at locked 30 fps, checkpoint stutters apart.

-Base PS4 and Xbox One are locked to 1080p and 900p respectively. Some dips on Xbox One in the beginning. PS4 is fully locked.

Last edited:

MikeM

No regrets in getting this on Series X over PS5. That checkpoint stutter on PS5 is a head scratcher though.

I'm going through them in order and am especially looking forward to #2 and #3. Never played them.

Lysandros

Again, after very explicitly stating that pixel counting is pretty much impossible across the scenes to see 'which platform has higher resolution on that moment', concluding by saying that XSX 'might' have the best IQ/DRS advantage based on feeling is the most logical thing to do i guess..

Last edited:

Arioco

Again, after very explicitly stating that pixel counting is pretty much impossible across the scenes to see 'which platform has higher resolution on that moment', concluding by saying that XSX 'might' have the best IQ/DRS advantage based on feeling is the most logical thing to do i guess..

Yes, I found that a bit weird too. I mean, if like for like pixel count is not possible, how do they know Series X might have a slightly higher rez? A very strange thing for them to say, indeed.

Maybe it's just their general impression even without pixel counting frames, but they wouldn't tell. 🤷‍♂️

CheeseCake

Dj Khaled Dance GIF
Guess no "another one" this time

Andodalf

Banned
No regrets in getting this on Series X over PS5. That checkpoint stutter on PS5 is a head scratcher though.

I'm going through them in order and am especially looking forward to #2 and #3. Never played them.

It's a cpu thing that could be caused on an engine or driver level, and for whatever reason just doesn't like PS5s APIs. It's an old game at heart.

Lysandros

Maybe it's just their general impression even without pixel counting frames, but they wouldn't tell. 🤷‍♂️
Yes. The thing is, they are not saying something along the lines of 'XSX version's image appears to be slightly sharper'. No, quite the contrary, they say they look 'identical'. Why to not leave it simply at that then? Why the need for speculations based on mysterious feelings?

Last edited:

Arioco

Was a different time. Too young and never cared about resolution stuff.

Just to give you an ideia: I jump from audio/video cable Game Cube to HDMI cable Xbox 360 Slim.

I wasn't talking about the rez, it's the performance what leaves a lot to be desired on both PS3 and 360. A very jerky experience. The game was too much for the hardware, I guess. It's good to finally have a good version of Crysis on consoles though.

Riky

$MSFT
Looks like a great port on Series X which avoids the checkpoint stutter and doesn't have the crashing problem.
Finally get playable console versions.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Imagine a technical review using “feeling” or “guesses” to made claims lol

How much of these “feelings” are due the “most powerful console ever made” PR?
None they said it looks a bit more sharp on X.
Can't be arsed to pixel count is a bit lazy though.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
why would he say it might have a slight DRS advantage when it didn't look slightly sharper to his eyes?

that would be the only logical reason to bring that up

Because they probably have access to the pixel counts even though they did not share them. He explicitly referenced DRS, not one being "sharper"? Why say he said something if he didn't say it?

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
It's a dynamic resolution game with constant changes in resolution. Stating a resolution as an average would be false as there will be no average. Some games use DRS but they don't change too often for a set resolution so you can get an average.

It's a cpu thing that could be caused on an engine or driver level, and for whatever reason just doesn't like PS5s APIs. It's an old game at heart.

And the game may crashes on PS platforms.

They already said all that could be said about these games.
It's identical on all platforms and it's better to not give numbers to the resolution because how can you decide when it changes from frame to frame and there's not why to accurate count? Better to focus on the frame rate.

Yes. The thing is, they are not saying something along the lines of 'XSX version's image appears to be slightly sharper'. No, quite the contrary, they say they look 'identical'. Why to not leave it simply at that then? Why the need for speculations based on mysterious feelings?
What are you going on about? Who cares? Everyone and their dog has to have a go at DF for some reason 🙄 Thank god that ass guy is not around currently or he'd be in here spreading fud.

Topher

Gold Member
What are you going on about? Who cares? Everyone and their dog has to have a go at DF for some reason 🙄 Thank god that ass guy is not around currently or he'd be in here spreading fud.

He isn't having "a go at DF" at all. He is talking about those saying DF saying things they are not saying.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
why would he say it might have a slight DRS advantage when it didn't look slightly sharper to his eyes?

that would be the only logical reason to bring that up

Richard Leadbetter
So it looks to me like PS5 and Series X are effectively identical I think Series X might have a slight DRS advantage, but it's nothing to write home about everybody gets a good experience here. They both look pretty much the same.

John Linneman
Interesting note about DRS should be is that it does change constantly like we've seen the debut information in action and it's pretty much. It can change from frame-to-frame right, so it makes getting an exact lock on this very difficult to know in terms of like which one is higher than the other, right?

If he knew, then he wouldn't use the words might or think, he would just say it. John also says the resolution changes from frame-to-frame and its very difficult to know which one is higher.

It's clear what they were saying, but for some reason, you guys want to ignore everything they said.

He isn't having "a go at DF" at all. He is talking about those saying DF saying things they are not saying.
No he was talking about DF and Leadbetter hinting at a slight advantage, not other posters, read what he wrote again. He even quoted the article, it's just another example of DF being hated on.

I wouldn't mind playing this again at some point but Crytek still haven't managed to fix the issues with the first game and that's been out for just over a year and I'm certainly not willing to give them more money until they fix what I already own. If they manage to do that then I'll consider maybe buying one or both of the others.

- It's not a native app on PS5 and Series X/S. PS5 and Series X are identical, 1080p-2160p. Series X might have a slight DRS advantage, but nothing to write home about.

How many fucking times have we heard the same tripe for last gen releases running on current gen consoles via BC?

Sony and Microsoft should have mandated all developers that from the release day of the current gen consoles all games submitted for last gen games to them, should also compulsorily have a next gen native version, just like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X version upgrades we're mandated for Xbox One and PS4.

It's an arbitrary rule set by both companies so even if they argue "oh that was the same architecture on Jaguar/GCN, but this isn't the same case on Zen2/RDNA2!" or any of that like, it doesn't matter.

Either do a native current gen version or get fucked by missing out on a combined last gen installed base of 175 million plus customers for your game.

There's no no other way to make these lazy cunts not cash in on backward compatibility and call it a day. They won't ever release a native version.

Last edited:

I was thinking the same. In the one shot where psycho and prophet open the hatch to the vast overlook with the foliage, you know the one, it was sharper on ps5 right as they were saying SX might have advantage.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Richard said they were "effectively identical" and XSX "might have a slight DRS advantage". When did he say XSX looks "a bit more sharp"?
Ok I couldn't be arsed to go back and watch the video and quote exactly what he said but going of what he said I'd bet it would be a touch sharper as they are using GCN modes for this game.
Sorry Officer I didn't realize I was under arrest.

No one can actually measure the resolution difference accurately when it's changing every frame, and then come up with a definitive average. They don't have tools to count resolution per frame automatically. What they can give is the minimum-maximum (again changes depending on the areas tested). When that's the case, it's ok to go for a more qualitative assessment. They said XSX seem to have a resolution advantage (not phrased as a definitive statement cause they can't give one) but effectively the results are similar (yet again not a definitive statement cause it's impossible to give one). How exactly do you want this information to be conveyed?

Last edited:

Banned
Because they probably have access to the pixel counts even though they did not share them. He explicitly referenced DRS, not one being "sharper"? Why say he said something if he didn't say it?

either way tho, having a higher res when using the same AA solution would result in a sharper image.

so either he knows it's sharper or it looked sharper subjectively, either way it would mean it's sharper... that's what higher DRS means in this case

Topher

Gold Member
either way tho, having a higher res when using the same AA solution would result in a sharper image.

so either he knows it's sharper or it looked sharper subjectively, either way it would mean it's sharper... that's what higher DRS means in this case

A slightly higher rez doesn’t necessarily mean a noticeably sharper image at all. That is a massive assumption especially when he had just said they were identical

Last edited:

Banned
A slightly higher rez doesn’t necessarily mean a noticeably sharper image at all. That is a massive assumption especially when he had just said they were identical

noone says it's noticably sharper... but his comments suggests that he either knows it is sharper due to internal engine numbers or he thinks its sharper because it looked sharper to him.

in the end noticing a difference in an extremely variable dynamic res is hard either way

SkylineRKR

Its funny that they mentioned 2013, I always expected this trilogy to hit PS4 and X1 around 2014 ish and would pay full whack for it. Never came out. Would've been good shooters at the time, 1080p/30 was a huge increase over the smeared SD and 20fps on the legacy systems.

And now we're here, and these games aren't PS5/SX native apps. C1 Remaster was trash, C2 remaster is decent. C3 remaster looks like its the best one. I'll probably buy 3 as well, as its still 30% off.

Topher

Gold Member
noone says it's noticably sharper... but his comments suggests that he either knows it is sharper due to internal engine numbers or he thinks its sharper because it looked sharper to him.

His comments suggest that he thinks they look identical due to that being exactly what he said.

Ok I couldn't be arsed to go back and watch the video and quote exactly what he said but going of what he said I'd bet it would be a touch sharper as they are using GCN modes for this game.
Sorry Officer I didn't realize I was under arrest.

Just a warning but next time.....different story

Car Chase Police GIF by MotorTrend
Super Troopers Police GIF
police randy marsh GIF by South Park

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I swear every DF video gets completely annihilated as soon as they go off-script and say things like might or could've.

Another key word: ''Pretty much impossible''. Meaning its not totally impossible.

And here's why. John did once measure a game (Not sure if it was Crysis or Rainbow Six) which had the same issue of per-frame resolution changing, as did Thomas Morgan with Titanfall 2. They said back then that its pretty much impossible to decipher the actual resolution of the game because it accumulates frames over time.

This is why John is saying here that it is ''pretty much impossible'' to pixel count the scene, and he is saying that the Series X ''might'' have the best IQ/DRS advantage based on feeling, because the vast majority of XSX/PS5 releases tested show the Series X having the resolution advantage or higher average resolution advantage compared to PS5.

That''s literally it. But somehow people think there is something amiss when they say things like this, because god forbid you state something that isn't fully verifiable.
Another one...

...without pixel counts. Lazy!
I'd like to see you deliver this many video's with this kind of granularity on top of playing and recording the many hours of gameplayfootage they shoot in a week before you call anyone Lazy.

What's Lazy is hollow rhetoric like your post.

Lysandros

Its a wash

XSX version is (slightly) better technically since it doesn't have check point stutter/freeze (likely a I/O bug) which drops frame rate to 38 FPS at these points on PS5. It also seem to have a miniscule res. advantage at lower DRS bounds. The actual data is provided here contary to DF video, so guess it can be done.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Literally one post below yours there's a Youtuber who did actual pixel counts.

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky
Deflective. And besides, DF did do pixel counting - You just weren't satisfied with the answer.

I have given an explanation, this is literally two posts above yours.

Season 3 Whatever GIF by On My Block

Top Bottom