• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Crysis Remastered PC tech review. The good, the bad and the ugly

Fake

Join Alex Battaglia for the definitive tech review of Crysis Remastered on PC - a game that elevates and modernises much of the original game's technology, but at a cost of poor performance on today's CPUs... and some legacy tech debt from Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 that we really shouldn't see on a PC game.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
So,
+SVOGI ray tracing does add a lot to the look of the game, especially indoors
+Draw distance can be greatly improved from the original release
-Skin can look really weird in this game.
-Based on 360/ps3 port, no VTOL level
-missing effects from the original that the 360/ps3 port removed
-missing physics details like foliage swaying in explosions and realistic breakage that the first game had
-game is heavily dependent on single core, although not as much as the first game
-pretty much forget about running the game at >1080p + 60fps + high or above settings, on any PC

Crysis Remastered, be careful what you wish for

DrCheese

Missing an entire level is pretty much inexcusable. Why on earth was it based on the old console ports which used an entirely different architecture rather than the x86 PC version which is.. the same as consoles nowadays? This is just lazy.

I tried replaying through the original recently & it definitely needed tuning up, but this isn't it. Far from it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Missing an entire level is pretty much inexcusable. Why on earth was it based on the old console ports which used an entirely different architecture rather than the x86 PC version which is.. the same as consoles nowadays? This is just lazy.

I tried replaying through the original recently & it definitely needed tuning up, but this isn't it. Far from it.

I think it is because console Crysis is on a newer version of the codebase, the same one used for the sequels, which were multiplatform, just like this one.

RAIDEN1

I recently purchased the original release that came on the X360 seeing as this was a messed up port...A huge opportunity missed...

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
naamloostkj2w.png

Banned
I could maybe tolerate the graphical issues it has, but the gameplay cuts are a BIG no no.

I already find it ridiculously that they still used the terrible suit controls of the later games on console, but not even having the leaning in the PC version and having a fucked up crouch function? nah fam.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Haven't finished the video, still watching it between taking care of my baby. I did notice when playing the Remaster though, was the really awful lack of POM. POM was used so much in C1 and to either see it scaled back so much or all together cut is super disappointing.

I also hate how the new controls work. I like that Q and E are mapped to suit functionality, but I hate how the suit defaults to strength mode without the option of putting it on Speed mode at all. Speed mode essentially doesn't work at all like it used and becomes just a glorified SPRINT button that is half as effective as it used to. The classic control options are better, but not having dedicated buttons for suit mode or double tap quick switches like the original game is super annoying. They also don't seem to have leaning either which is a huge thing to remove.

Honestly pretty disappointed with it. It's such a fun game and deserves more.

The original in DX10 mode with a few texture mods holds up and looks better than what they've released, the only thing that looks better to me is the lighting, it's absolutely better in the remaster. Enough to a noticeable degree.

I recently purchased the original release that came on the X360 seeing as this was a messed up port...A huge opportunity missed...

Lol, so you've essentially bought the same exact game that runs and looks even worse than the remaster. Either play the PC original or this remaster. The 360 version is the Remaster Version but hampered by the power of the 360. I own all 3 version, I bought the 360 version when it came out. Don't even waste your time.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Haven't finished the video, still watching it between taking care of my baby. I did notice when playing the Remaster though, was the really awful lack of POM. POM was used so much in C1 and to either see it scaled back so much or all together cut is super disappointing.

I also hate how the new controls work. I like that Q and E are mapped to suit functionality, but I hate how the suit defaults to strength mode without the option of putting it on Speed mode at all. Speed mode essentially doesn't work at all like it used and becomes just a glorified SPRINT button that is half as effective as it used to. The classic control options are better, but not having dedicated buttons for suit mode or double tap quick switches like the original game is super annoying. They also don't seem to have leaning either which is a huge thing to remove.

Honestly pretty disappointed with it. It's such a fun game and deserves more.

The original in DX10 mode with a few texture mods holds up and looks better than what they've released, the only thing that looks better to me is the lighting, it's absolutely better in the remaster. Enough to a noticeable degree.

Lol, so you've essentially bought the same exact game that runs and looks even worse than the remaster. Either play the PC original or this remaster. The 360 version is the Remaster Version but hampered by the power of the 360. I own all 3 version, I bought the 360 version when it came out. Don't even waste your time.
Well at the time of release it didn't exactly get slated, judging by some of the reviews at that time, plus at least with this iteration, there is a minimal chance the game will crash or is as bugged as this so-called re-master, as I've purchased it and not likely to get my money back I'll see it through despite it not being the best of the best ports....

skneogaf

Good video that explains the differences between the 2 versions really well.

I was looking to pick it up but now I know I can live without it.

They really needed to figure out how to use the pc version and adapt it for multi core cpus.

sobaka770

Banned
Damn, so much new tech and some scenes end up still looking worse than the original as well as destruction...

Who says consoles don't hold back gaming heheheh?

Top Bottom