• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Crysis Remastered PS4/PRO/Xbox One/X review

Fake

There's a ton of potential in the console versions of Crysis Remastered - but it looks like the delay to the game should have been longer. In this video, John assesses every console running every mode and sees some remarkable difference between the Switch release and its PS4/Xbox One siblings.

Summary:

-Based on PS360, so is Cryengine 3 without the VTOL part
- Three options on the PRO/X: Perfomance, Quality and Raytracing
- Perfomance mode runs at 1080p on PRO/X while using uncap framerate
- PRO gets 35~50 and most of time, while not in busy areas, sustain 50 quite well. John says is the suggested option for PRO users
- X on the other hand drops below 40 and gets some screen tearing
- Quality mode X runs at dynamic 4k using custom settings for visual and lock the framerate at 30, but gets some dips
- Quality mode on PRO runs at dynamic 1440p with some dips almost in level with X. Both are not ideal
- The Raytracing option runs fixed 1080p at 30 on both X and PRO, but PRO gets some dips. John said this is the suggested option for X
- Base PS4 and Xbox One don't have such options, runs at a fixed quality mode running at dynamic 1080p with dips to 900p.
- Base consoles, even with the cap, runs dips bellow 30, but Xbox One as John mentions runs attrocious
- John said Crytek release a patch for X for fix some of the issues reported, but in the end make Xbox One X runs even worst than without patch
- Perfomance mode gets strikes
- Quality mode try to fix screen tearing using adaptive v-sync, but causes even more framerate drops and don't solve screen tearing at all
- Raytracing mode option on the X after the patch gets more frame drops in comparison with the previous version without patch
- John reported that the game close without reason on PS4/PRO sometimes, both versions get a red pixel bug, after the patch Xbox One and X take more time to load enviroment texture causing trees looks very horrible until they load the high detail version of them
- Freezes after 'auto-save' is in place
- No option to disable 'auto-save'
- Montion blur looks low res in all consoles
- John hated some artistics changes on the game, comparing with the Switch
- Looks like the Switch version was made by a different team in comparison with other versions
- He likes the color grade on Switch, more present in the grass
- He recommend wait for a patch and the next gen version of the game

Last edited:

Banned
in situations like this where a developer so obviously makes the game worse with a patch, that I think... most developers nowadays are just useless at their jobs...

how do you do that? you patch a game and it runs worse, yet you simply go through with the patch and send it over to verification.

HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN? this is not like when a patch introduces a new bug that some people then find, this is literally making the game worse as soon as you start playing.

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
in situations like this where a developer so obviously makes the game worse with a patch, that I think... most developers nowadays are just useless at their jobs...

how do you do that? you patch a game and it runs worse, yet you simply go through with the patch and send it over to verification.

HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN? this is not like when a patch introduces a new bug that some people then find, this is literally making the game worse as soon as you start playing.

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?
Not the mention, it actually looks worse then Vanilla...

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?
It just is! Look at the new Avengers game that was patched only for it to run worse.

Allandor

This game is absolutely fucking trash. To begin with its based on the PS360 version.
This is really something I don't understand. Why did they do this? Even the PC remaster is based on that version.
And not even delivering DX12/Vulkan on PC for such a game is a shame. This could really reduce CPU utilization and deliver higher framerates.

Well I wait and hope for better patches. But I really can't believe that they delivered a patch that really makes things worse. Don't they test anything before delivering it?

eNT1TY

Ima just stick to modded og on pc, hell might even load up Warhead; i recall liking it quite a bit during my playthrough then never playing it again.

Rikkori

The problem with consoles is the wait for patch certification. Games are very complicated & fixing something can easily break something else. On PC they can just put another patch up immediately. Sadly console players should wait some more before buying it.

MacReady13

I bought this thing. What an unmitigated disaster.
Same. On the one x as well. First time I booted it up it was looking like the old CRT days on my tv, where you didn't tune the channel correctly and you'd get 3 images of the same thing on your screen in a crooked image! Very hard to explain but it was a faulty image and wasn't a great start.
Once I started playing after a reboot, I put it on Ray Tracing mode, I instantly noticed it looked blurry and awful. I changed to performance mode, and that looked awful but seemed to be running in 60 fps. Unfortunately the massive dips made it completely unstable so I stopped after about 30 minutes.
I literally just then requested a refund from Microsoft. What an awful take on a great game.

ethomaz

Banned

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?
Because the industry basically got rid of testers (QA) and now uses the own play base to test the games/patches.

That is a disadvantage generated after the patches reaches the consoles.... you should never get these bad code games or even unfinished work before patches entered in the business.

Of course there is advantages in patches like DLCs and add-on content plus critical bug fix when done right but the disadvantages are atrocious too.

Last edited:
How the fuck is this even possible?

A game from 2007 is being released in 2020 and it performs THIS badly on next gen consoles?

And on PC it literally performs WORSE than the original. This is textbook worst case scenario. A step by step guide in how NOT to remaster a game.

Crytek is now a garbage tier dev in my eyes.

GrayFoxPL

Crytek on Crysis Remastered:

60oBKIp.gif

Saber

Gold Member
Thank heavens, this is more enjoyable to watch than the other Crysis DF video(with a dumb intro).

Anyway, I'm not sure I agree with PS4 Pro part. Its not ok they target 60 fps but the game never really archieves that, leaving a fluctuating frames during gameplay. Its just weird imo(not worse than Xbox though).

Last edited:

stranno

Can we take a minute to talk about how Switch looks better in most scenes, shading/lightning-wise?

And people blamed Crytek for releasing a rushed version of Switch :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I would pay to see the Crytek faces when DF sent them the "we have to say that it sucks in every platform" whatsapp.

Sponsored by Crytek: Let's start with the basics: Crysis 2020 sucks.

Last edited:

Connxtion

A can’t play it now on XB1X makes me feel sick 😂

RT mode was fine for the most part but after the patch, after a few mins of moving about and turning I start to feel sick.

Vtecomega

Banned
Digital Foundry have no clue. HDR is completely and utterly broken. The implementation is awful. How on earth can John praise the HDR?

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
- PRO gets 35~50 and most of time, while not in busy areas, sustain 50 quite well. John says is the suggested option for PRO users
- X on the other hand drops below 40 and gets some screen tearing
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 35 is "below 40" as well. Why did you say PS4 Pro gets 35-50 but for xbox you tried to frame it as bad going "below 40" while not giving a range like you did for the PS4 Pro?

I know why, I just want to see how you try and explain it.

Seems like a terrible, terrible release.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 35 is "below 40" as well. Why did you say PS4 Pro gets 35-50 but for xbox you tried to frame it as bad going "below 40" while not giving a range like you did for the PS4 Pro?

I know why, I just want to see how you try and explain it.

Seems like a terrible, terrible release.
To be fair the Pro version does seem to be a bit more consistent, while the OneX looked more all over the place. Both are bad though.

MrFunSocks

Banned
To be fair the Pro version does seem to be a bit more consistent, while the OneX looked more all over the place. Both are bad though.
Still doesn't change the fact that the known sony-boy Fake is clearly trying to make the PS4 version look significantly better by pointing out that it can *sometimes* stay at 50fps, but only gives a general lower bound for the Xbox version which is still at least as high as the lower bound of the PS4 version.

stranno

Illusion has made a patch for correct frame paced 30 frames per second on Playstation 4. It works on base console and Pro, in all three modes, but it locks Performance mode to 30 frames per second on Pro.

Top Bottom