• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Cyberpunk 2077 Patch 1.23 PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Updated! How Does Next-Gen Stack Up Right Now?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I just wouldn't play this right now, even on PC if I had a 3000 series card, this game is a graphical showpiece so it demands to be played at at least 4K@60fps with all the graphical trimmings at max (within reason) that doesn't seem doable even on a 3090.

Just wait and play it with a 4080/on PS6/Xbox Optimum G imo. I'm glad those that played it already enjoyed it.
This plays just fine in 4K with the help of DLSS. Running at native 4K makes zero sense in a game like this.

SJRB

Gold Member
Game is all over the place...

Bizarre performance

The game is a technical mess down to its most fundamental core. Even on the most beastly PC there's still a never-ending list of random bugs and glitches. There's no way they'll ever get it working at a non-janky state.

All we can hope for is a couple of quality of life updates that improves the moment-to-moment experience.

CDPR punched way, WAY above their weight with this one.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I'm sure it looks ace but I want 4K60, max RT settings and no reconstruction. I prefer native res because I have a giant telly right in my face so I notice a difference.
DLSS in Doom Eternal actually looks better than native resolution, not a word of a lie. It's amazing now.

Kuranghi

This plays just fine in 4K with the help of DLSS. Running at native 4K makes zero sense in a game like this.

I'm not trying to start an argument but what do you even mean by what I bolded?? I know some games have an art style where 4K isn't really a massive increase in IQ over 1440p or even 1080p but this clearly is a game with fucktons of detail, I fail to see how more detail wouldn't be a good thing.

If you find native 4K indistinguisable from DLSS 4K then fair enough but I don't so I value more resolution. Saying it makes zero sense makes... zero sense, in this case at least.

intbal

I've never seen a performance analysis of this game running of the base Xbox One. No, not the S. The BASE Xbox One. Not even from the unreliable youtubers.
Since CP2077 is a 10-25fps game on One S, base Xbox One has to be 7% (or more) worse.
Did anyone here actually play it on that system? How was your experience?

Md Ray

Not just Xbox One... the game is barely playable on PS4.

The only version that plays a bit better is PS4 Pro... even so that is not something to grab about.

Sony did a terrible disservice to games allowing that game to back to PS Store.
Bought the game on base PS4 just for shits and giggles and you can tell the game's absolutely hammering and choking those CPU cores to death just by how quietly the console operates.

Louder fan noise = GPU utilization is 100% or close to it.

But in CP2077's case, you can clearly tell the GPU is nowhere close to being fully utilized rather it's sitting idle (underutilized) most of the time waiting on the CPU and I/O (HDD) just from the whisper-quiet operation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
My friend played it back at launch on PS5 and despite the crashes every few hours and other issues, he still rated it a 9/10 because the world itself is great, soundtrack/voice acting is a 10, story and characters are a 10 and the side content is like a 9. Visuals probably a 9. Gameplay/combat he said maybe a 7 or an 8 but everything else was so good in the game for him, that it didn't matter. He's the type that issues like Cyberpunk, he would drop the game but he knows that vast majority of what was in the game is simply better than most.

Me personally, im still waiting for the current generation upgrade. Been tempted a few times to play it since I have seen a few clips and listened to the entire soundtrack on youtube two months ago but since I have waited 8 months, what's a few more.

Kuranghi

DLSS in Doom Eternal actually looks better than native resolution, not a word of a lie. It's amazing now.

Even when you compare it to native 4K with temporal super sampling and sharpening? I know the performance is (much) better with DLSS but this is just a silly statement. You literally have less than half of the input pixels if you are DLSSing from 1440p so it just doesn't make sense.

On a smaller screen (less than 50") I can certainly see how there wouldn't be a big difference, but I'm on a giant screen and I've got massive pedant eyes so there really is a difference for me.

SF Kosmo

I'm not trying to start an argument but what do you even mean by what I bolded?? I know some games have an art style where 4K isn't really a massive increase in IQ over 1440p or even 1080p but this clearly is a game with fucktons of detail, I fail to see how more detail wouldn't be a good thing.

If you find native 4K indistinguisable from DLSS 4K then fair enough but I don't so I value more resolution. Saying it makes zero sense makes... zero sense, in this case at least.

What I mean by that is that DLSS, while perhaps distinguishable from native res (although, frankly, not very at 4K unless your face is pressed against the glass or you're setting it to performance) is a good trade off pretty much 100% of the time in a demanding game like Cyberpunk, when weighed against other performance and IQ improvements.

DLSS doesn't really result in a meaningful loss of detail in most situations, so much as a little bit of temporal artifacting in certain situations. But WITHOUT DLSS you have to make compromises to other settings or to the overall performance and I simply can't see that being a good trade. It doesn't make sense.

This is especially true of any game with RT, since RT is really tough at higher resolutions. I can't imagine a game looking better at native res with RT off or down compared to DLSS with RT cranked. That's just poor optimization.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Article:

Doesn't seem that much changed from the past.

PS5: best performance
Series X: better NPC counts

Loading times on PS5 are atrocious.

Running at a lower resolution with almost no NPCs will absolutely affect the framerate, but it changes the experience entirely, it's like you're playing a different game, like that moment when we saw Assassin's Creed for the first time with the character pushing through the crowd and then taking that away because otherwise your console will go from an acceptable framerate (in the 50s) to an atrocious one which is what would happen if they tried the same settings on PS5 when in BC mode.

wolywood

CDPR should have cancelled the old gen versions in 2019 and gotten the next gen ready for launch and I think we'd be having a really different conversation right now.
Exactly. This was the approach they took with The Witcher 3 (only developing for the current gen consoles, no PS3/360 versions) and that turned out to be the right decision.

Kuranghi

What I mean by that is that DLSS, while perhaps distinguishable from native res (although, frankly, not very at 4K unless your face is pressed against the glass or you're setting it to performance) is a good trade off pretty much 100% of the time in a demanding game like Cyberpunk, when weighed against other performance and IQ improvements.

DLSS doesn't really result in a meaningful loss of detail in most situations, so much as a little bit of temporal artifacting in certain situations. But WITHOUT DLSS you have to make compromises to other settings or to the overall performance and I simply can't see that being a good trade. It doesn't make sense.

This is especially true of any game with RT, since RT is really tough at higher resolutions. I can't imagine a game looking better at native res with RT off or down compared to DLSS with RT cranked. That's just poor optimization.

I guess I'm talking about an ideal situation where I don't need to compromise settings or fps, thats why I said I would wait to play it. I'm in no rush so I want it to look "perfect".

Gamerguy84

DF really does a video update for every patch?

Anyway CDPR this has been my biggest disappointment in years. I wanted to buy this game for so long that's dead. It looks like it would have been great except it seemed to roll out a technical disaster.

Oh well there are other games I guess.

Rikkori

so, its still a mess on consoles.. hows the pc version doing? just got a brand new 3070 based pc ;/
It's a joy to play on PC. Honestly not much will change with a next-gen patch (besides more bug fixes), not sure why people are pining their hopes on it. CDPR has been a mess this year with the hack & all the personnel changes. I think people anticipating the patch as some sort of "cure" are just gonna get disappointed again. Those who don't already like the game won't see their opinion change because they're not going to make drastic changes.

Matt_Fox

If the next Xbox isn't called the "Xbox Optimum G", I'll be tremendously disappointed. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Xbox Optimum G would be amazing, but way too straightforward. Microsoft insist on confusing consumers so when next-next gen comes around they'll go with Xbox Series One X.

Md Ray

Hope that you are joking

PS5 is running PS4/Pro code, Series S/X are not using last gen code, since MS BC sollution gave CDPR more options for tinkering

Well, they are using last gen code, but with different graphical options enabled
Lol, no Tom Warren told us Series S has faster CPU than PS5. Now you can see why we are seeing more NPC on Series S.

I'd rather listen to him than you, hahahaha.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

DF really does a video update for every patch?

Anyway CDPR this has been my biggest disappointment in years. I wanted to buy this game for so long that's dead. It looks like it would have been great except it seemed to roll out a technical disaster.

Oh well there are other games I guess.
It's not even a new patch, it's over a month old and they did a video on it back then.
It's just a pointless video for views.
milkit.jpg

I bought this for PS4 to play on PS5, waiting for a native version though. Would be cool if they released a 40FPS mode like Insomniac did for R&C.

The game have being optimized to run OK on base PS4 in order to be listed again on PSN Store. All others versions (including PS5) have being mostly ignored by the patches.

Cherrypepsi

I really had fun with this game on PC but the fact that there is still no current gen version 9 months later is really embarrassing.

Series X quality mode still seems like the way to go, at least for now.

Mr Moose

900p on Playstation 5? Is that correct?
PS5 running under backwards compatibility uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being approximately 2133x1200 and the lowest resolution found being 1600x900. Pixel counts at approximately 2133x1200 seem to be common on PS5. The pixel count at 1600x900 was found during the opening clip when the reflection in the mirror was on screen.

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being approximately 2880x1620 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1080. On Xbox Series X in Performance Mode pixel counts at 2880x1620 are rare and pixel counts seem to usually range between 1920x1080 and 2304x1296.

SF Kosmo

I guess I'm talking about an ideal situation where I don't need to compromise settings or fps, thats why I said I would wait to play it. I'm in no rush so I want it to look "perfect".
So a last gen game that doesn't fully tax your system? That's still a trade off, you just aren't being given the high end options.

I'm talking about the best way to maximize what your system can do in terms of overall rendering quality. If you want to push you system to the limit, you're going to want DLSS on, period.

Consider the kind of performance uplift we're talking about, like 30-50% uplift on the GPU side of things (if not necessarily overall framerate. There's no situation in which the best use of that extra overhead is gonna be slight improvements to barely perceptible temporal artifacts rather than like, ray traced lighting. There will always be better uses for that performance budget (whether or not the game actually has the features to take advantage of that).

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Hope that you are joking

PS5 is running PS4/Pro code, Series S/X are not using last gen code, since MS BC sollution gave CDPR more options for tinkering

Well, they are using last gen code, but with different graphical options enabled

Haha, clearly a joke. PS5 CPU is 3.5Ghz vs 3.4Ghz for Series S, it's Series X that has the 3.6Ghz for the 100Mhz advantage

But the best way to play Cyberpunk, to get the best visuals as the developers intended is either PC or Xbox Series X in Quality mode.

DJ Khaled made a personal in game Cameo asserting this:

ddUUDaL.png

Mr Moose

Haha, clearly a joke. PS5 CPU is 3.5Ghz vs 3.4Ghz for Series S, it's Series X that has the 3.6Ghz for the 100Mhz advantage

But the best way to play Cyberpunk, to get the best visuals as the developers intended is either PC or Xbox Series X in Quality mode.

DJ Khaled made a personal in game Cameo asserting this:

ddUUDaL.png
This shit is too damn blurry on PS5 (PS4 Pro, and apparently on Series X/One X too judging by the vid in performance mode), the AA and stuff is just... Yuck. Seems they fixed the crashes that happen every hour though, so I guess that's a +.
Native version can't come soon enough, though I am looking forward to the native Witcher 3 version much more.

JackMcGunns

This shit is too damn blurry on PS5 (PS4 Pro, and apparently on Series X/One X too judging by the vid in performance mode), the AA and stuff is just... Yuck. Seems they fixed the crashes that happen every hour though, so I guess that's a +.
Native version can't come soon enough, though I am looking forward to the native Witcher 3 version much more.

Me too, I need Witcher 3 NOW!

Fredrik

CDPR should have cancelled the old gen versions in 2019 and gotten the next gen ready for launch and I think we'd be having a really different conversation right now.
Yeah I think so too, I’ve been playing it since launch on PC, never stumbled into any serious bugs in about 250 hours including fiddling with mods and all.

Could run it at 55-80 fps on a 1080ti+3800x PC at 1080p at ultra without raytracing.
Can run it at 50-70fps on a 3070ti+3800x PC at 1080p at ultra with raytracing.

I think a nextgen console version could beat the 1080ti scenario, which would mean mostly locked 60fps. 4K is a performance waster so I hope they keep the res down and focus on the framerate instead.

And just to cut through the negative noise here, the PC version on Steam have a mostly positive tag after 375,000 user reviews…

Last edited:

SCB3

There is really no point doing next gen comparisons until next gen versions launch. Nothing has changed so why even bother?
Exactly what I was thinking, I got the game super cheap on Xbox, went from Series S and thought it was fine but 30fps but now have a Series X so wanted to wait on a Next Gen update,

my PC version (that I pre ordered :( ) maxes out at 45fps as well on a 1060 6gb, Ryzen 5

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Exactly what I was thinking, I got the game super cheap on Xbox, went from Series S and thought it was fine but 30fps but now have a Series X so wanted to wait on a Next Gen update,

my PC version (that I pre ordered :( ) maxes out at 45fps as well on a 1060 6gb, Ryzen 5
if it makes you feel any better, i also had to run it at 45 fps on my 2080 with dlss on in order to get ray traced reflections.

the game is very demanding.

SCB3

if it makes you feel any better, i also had to run it at 45 fps on my 2080 with dlss on in order to get ray traced reflections.

the game is very demanding.
Yea, its why I went with the console version of games now, I have a PS5 and Series X, I need a bigger case completely for a new GPU right now, I'm gonna wait for the 40 Series at this point

intbal

PS5 CPU is 3.5Ghz vs 3.4Ghz for Series S, it's Series X that has the 3.6Ghz for the 100Mhz advantage

Not always.
In backwards compatibility mode on Xbox Series consoles, it's up to the developer to choose which CPU configuration they want to use (and there's no way for the end user to tell which it is).
If the developer chooses single-threaded mode, the Series S runs at 3.6Ghz and Series X runs at 3.8Ghz. I believe this is what most games on Series consoles are doing for BC games. If the developer chooses SMT mode, Series S is 3.4Ghz and Series X is 3.6Ghz.

JackMcGunns

Not always.
In backwards compatibility mode on Xbox Series consoles, it's up to the developer to choose which CPU configuration they want to use (and there's no way for the end user to tell which it is).
If the developer chooses single-threaded mode, the Series S runs at 3.6Ghz and Series X runs at 3.8Ghz. I believe this is what most games on Series consoles are doing for BC games. If the developer chooses SMT mode, Series S is 3.4Ghz and Series X is 3.6Ghz.

I was referring to SMT mode, but you're right, mostly likely in BC mode it will take advantage of Series X 3.8Ghz mode which is in fact why it was designed that way, since older games don't benefit as much from multi-threading.

Gamerguy84

I don't know if it ever came out why they released it in this state.

Only thing I can think is being rushed because most developers are professionals. Any time your name is associated with a project you want to put your best effort in.

If they were rushed I hope the publisher learned a lesson because being yanked off the PS store and not having a next gen version for one of the biggest/hyped games coming out cost them millions.

That sucks for everyone.

sendit

Cyberpunk 2077 will do a soft relaunch on current gen consoles this year. Until then, these comparison videos are useless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom