• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Cyberpunk 2077 Patch 1.23 PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S Updated! How Does Next-Gen Stack Up Right Now?

Mr Moose

I'm all for devs using all sorts of rec. tech. to save ms. Heck I even thought horizon looked good on ps4 pro. Native 4K is a huge waste of resources.
Yeah they are already doing great work this gen on their scaling tech. Halo's looks pretty good as does Insomniacs. We're in for a good gen, not held back by dog shit CPUs. Destiny 2 already 60fps (or 120fps). v 30 I just wish the game didn't remove things and didn't have a dog shit PVP (I want it more like the Halo preview).

Kuranghi

Oh great another PC elitist who can't play most games on the new PS5, XSX consoles, because they use reconstruction techniques that are worse than DLSS.

Please quote the part where I said I wouldn't play games that have reconstruction, oh wait you can't. I'm obviously talking about when I have a choice, imo only a moron wouldn't play a console game because they can't change things like that.

Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 is one of my favourite games ever, but it objectively runs like complete shit in the worst possible moments. Its still a masterpiece though. Breath of the Wild has draw distance so bad there are boulder puzzles where you can't see all the rocks rendered at once due to limits they put on how many physics objects are displayed at once within a certain range, that doesn't mean it isn't awesome because there aren't ("weren't" in the case of SoTC) other versions of these games with better IQ/framerate as an alternative.

I can simultaneously really enjoy Switch games and think the IQ is shit, but its just an observation, I can't do anything about it so why would I worry about when I'm actually playing the game, or even go so far as to not play the game because of it.

I will often choose to drink and eat more expensive "fancy" things but if someone hands me a bottle of Buckfast and a McDonalds pound burger and then I'm capable of enjoying that for what it is too.

I've tried to make quadruply sure with these kinds of posts, that its my preference and I understand why people value the perf gains DLSS gives compared to how it affects the output and I still get replies like this, Jesu Christi.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is a thread about Cyberpunk running on various platforms is it not? You complained about NPC density and I mentioned that it should be worth it to get the best framerate. That is true for PS4 and PS5. The NPC density is higher on other platforms and the framerate is lower on average. I will admit the XSS looks to have a pretty great balance which is nice to see.

I commented about a disappointing showing of CP2077 on PS5 and noticed both the issue with the crowd density and the loading times (the 60 FPS mode on the other consoles has much higher NPC density and still lower loading times and the scenes where it drops frames are not even full of NPC’s so not sure why you are hanging on this particular thread to be fair).

Please quote the part where I said I wouldn't play games that have reconstruction, oh wait you can't. I'm obviously talking about when I have a choice, imo only a moron wouldn't play a console game because they can't change things like that.

Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 is one of my favourite games ever, but it objectively runs like complete shit in the worst possible moments. Its still a masterpiece though. Breath of the Wild has draw distance so bad there are boulder puzzles where you can't see all the rocks rendered at once due to limits they put on how many physics objects are displayed at once within a certain range, that doesn't mean it isn't awesome because there aren't ("weren't" in the case of SoTC) other versions of these games with better IQ/framerate as an alternative.

I can simultaneously really enjoy Switch games and think the IQ is shit, but its just an observation, I can't do anything about it so why would I worry about when I'm actually playing the game, or even go so far as to not play the game because of it.

I will often choose to drink and eat more expensive "fancy" things but if someone hands me a bottle of Buckfast and a McDonalds pound burger and then I'm capable of enjoying that for what it is too.

I've tried to make quadruply sure with these kinds of posts, that its my preference and I understand why people value the perf gains DLSS gives compared to how it affects the output and I still get replies like this, Jesu Christi.
I was mostly being a sarcastic dick in that reply, but I don't think you can get 60 fps locked at native 4K in CP2077 with RT, so not using DLSS is not really a choice here.

CDPR completely abandoned the Xbox One versions of this game after the release of 1.06. If you bought this game to play on One S/X, you should demand a refund, regardless of how long it's been.

cybpk.png
I've got it, played just over 2 hours. Haven't gone back since, waiting for the next-gen upgrade. I do wonder if I could even get a refund as I've owned it for 8 months?

Patrick S.

Banned
Yes, RT on ultra (with shadow rt off), there are places when it goes to low 50 and game is entirely CPU bound there. I would suggest dropping crowd density to medium while keeping RT.
Dropping croud density to medium and disabling RT shadows didn't really help. Was still getting around 43 fps on average, so I disabled RT again. Which is kinda ironic, because, tbh, this game is the main reason I got a 3080 :/

Md Ray

Dropping croud density to medium and disabling RT shadows didn't really help. Was still getting around 43 fps on average, so I disabled RT again. Which is kinda ironic, because, tbh, this game is the main reason I got a 3080 :/
Even with 16 threads, you can see CPU utilizations like this in this game:

vlVMjZ4.png

ggdxIIK.png

Metnut

The NPC count is really important to me, and I’ll be playing on PS5, so I’m gonna wait until the next gen upgrade.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I was hoping for your own opinion on it not DF's tbh, but cheers anyway.

This is a quote from the article

"All of which brings us to the inclusion of Nvidia DLSS, which once again has the ability to match and even exceed native resolution rendering in many respects"

I also understand that they are talking about normal TV sizes and not giant telly like I'm using, so its more noticable to me.
How giant are we talking? How far are you sitting from it?

I can't tell the difference between native and DLSS on my 34" ultrawide 1440p monitor from like 50cm viewing distance on doom eternal fwiw. DLSS is legit amazing now.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'm not debating whether increased resolution/detail is as imporant to the overall IQ as RT or other settings being higher, I was talking about when the settings are the same,
You understand that the only time these things are the same is when the game isn't actually pushing the limits though, right?

If you're taxing the system, as any new gen game would, the "max everything and still hit 4k60" option doesn't exist. And if it did it would mean a game doesn't really scale up to current hardware well.

I know DLSS isn't perfect and it's a trade off, but it's a worthwhile trade off given what you get in return. Refusing to acknowledge the other side of that trade is silly.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
The DLSS shot is the one that looks oversharpened, has false detail and has oversaturated colour + incorrect gamma compared to the the native image. I have an extremely high quality display calibrated to a degree of accuracy I couldn't achieve so is effectively "the best it can be", I want to see the creator's intent, not something else, just like how I wouldn't turn on an image enhancement in my TV no matter how miniscule the downsides were.

I pointed this stuff out on every DLSS comparison shots I ever saw since version 2 (Maybe 1.9?) came out (As you know 1.0/the way it was in Control at launch wasn't really that great) and in a recent video talking about the next version they talked about how it would hopefully fix the colour and gamma shifts that nobody really noticed until they pointed it out.

Most people aren't on my side, I get that. I understand why you would do it and you'll definitely have a smoother experience than me, for some people thats more important, but not for me. Sorry if its not clear but by IQ I mean the clarity of the image, not graphical effects, even though I know thats not cut and dried since some effects increase clarity.

I'm not debating whether increased resolution/detail is as imporant to the overall IQ as RT or other settings being higher, I was talking about when the settings are the same, I choose native over DLSS regardless of how much more performance it gives me, because I don't like how DLSS alters the image in the ways I noted above.

No offense meant but I really don't care enough anymore to continue this discussion, enjoy your games in the way you would like. I wish I didn't notice these things, but I do, so here we are. Every time I get into these debates I feel like a raving lunatic:

5itjlc.jpg
But which is the dlss shot - left or right?

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

My order of importance is resolution/"no" aliasing/no detail loss>RT+settings>fps above 60fps and if I don't have the HW to do that I'm not going to reduce resolution or use DLSS to allow me to max out the RT, I just wouldn't play it until I can do that. I don't do this with many games but I don't particularly care for the gameplay of CB2077 so I want it to look perfect before I play it.
With Cyberpunk, there doesn't seem to be any reason not to use DLSS if you can. There is almost no drop in quality, and DLSS can even resolve some details better than native. Here are some direct screenshots I took just now:

Native 4k
t905E5x.jpg

DLSS Quality
2EMhqNe.jpg

DLSS Performance
z1PkXpw.jpg

Even DLSS Performance looks nearly indistinguishable to native (and I sit in front of a PC monitor, not a TV) while resolving better detail with some of the distant neon lights.

kingfey

Banned
And here I am havinng problems with my rx570 at 1080p ultra settings. 22-35 fps. then next gen consoles seems to be good.
G4Fd3lT.png
sRUWOmQ.png

uDChNBy.png

Armorian

Banned
Played it on ps4 pro and a gaming pc. Doesn't matter how great a game looks or runs if it sucks.

But it doesn't suck. First reviews were from PC version and were around 9\10. After 60 something hours i can agree with score like that. This game should have been released now or Q4 2021 on PC and next gen consoles only but it didn't... Hate festival will continue 🤣

Fredrik

I don't know if it ever came out why they released it in this state.

Only thing I can think is being rushed because most developers are professionals. Any time your name is associated with a project you want to put your best effort in.

If they were rushed I hope the publisher learned a lesson because being yanked off the PS store and not having a next gen version for one of the biggest/hyped games coming out cost them millions.

That sucks for everyone.
CDPR is both the dev and publisher, so they can’t blame anyone else for being rushed. They rushed themselves because they wanted the millions of PS4/XB1 users money as well before next gen had really taken off.

b0uncyfr0

Im still not playing this turd. I dont see how its any good graphically. It looks like a last gen game(most textures are average but main characters) with good lighting in some spots.

Armorian

Banned
Im still not playing this turd. I dont see how its any good graphically. It looks like a last gen game(most textures are average but main characters) with good lighting in some spots.

On consoles it's literally last gen game.

On PC is one of the best (if not the best) looking game right now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What the fuck is going on with the load times on PS5? I know it's not a proper PS5 title yet, but how is it 4x slower than the Series versions? Lol.

Got this game a couple months ago for $20. I was playing it on Series X in performance mode and having a decent time. Maybe it’s just the build I was going for (Pistol/Katana/engineer), but it just seemed jank. Like pistols barely do any damage no matter how much I upgrade them and melee does good damage but obviously you pretty much have to save that for the last few enemies so you don’t eat shit. Felt like I invested in two pretty worthless skill trees. Maybe I’m doing something wrong though (also playing on Hard since I heard it was easy in general on normal).

I liked some of the side quests but main quests seem sort of hit or miss. I stopped playing half way through one of Panam’s missions because it started sending me on a Witcher 3 style follow the trail segment and that just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. Speaking of which, the game just seems to be missing the sense of cohesion that Witcher 3 had I think.

Also I just have this feeling the next gen versions are gonna be cancelled. Current CDPR just seems too disorganized to do anything other than play catch up with fixing bugs.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I was referring to SMT mode, but you're right, mostly likely in BC mode it will take advantage of Series X 3.8Ghz mode which is in fact why it was designed that way, since older games don't benefit as much from multi-threading.

How does that make sense when the PS4 and XB1 both have 8-core CPUs (albeit with only 6 of them available to games I believe)? Console games haven't been single threaded in a long time.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
That npc count difference is tremendous. I played through the game on series x in quality mode and viewing the version that cdpr made for Playstation really is striking. They took all the life out of the city. Do we know if earlier versions of the Playstation build had more NPC's and CDPR stripped them out to stabilize performance so they could get relisted on the store?
To be clear, I'm not insinuating this is a Sony issue as this clearly is a CDPR issue.

intbal

That npc count difference is tremendous. I played through the game on series x in quality mode and viewing the version that cdpr made for Playstation really is striking. They took all the life out of the city. Do we know if earlier versions of the Playstation build had more NPC's and CDPR stripped them out to stabilize performance so they could get relisted on the store?
To be clear, I'm not insinuating this is a Sony issue as this clearly is a CDPR issue.

Both versions (PS5/XBS) launched with very few NPCs. The Xbox had very slightly more. The Xbox versions started adding in more NPCs at 1.10, and perhaps got another bump at 1.22. The PS5 version kept a very low NPC count until 1.2. But I don't believe they increased it again after that.
You can track the changes yourself in these videos by EADB*
Cyberpunk videos

(*Even though SonyGaf has successfully gotten them cancelled here, EADB is the only youtuber that followed all the platform versions for most/all the patches and made visual comparisons. Ignore the text if you want and use your own eyes.)

Thirty7ven

Banned
Got this game a couple months ago for $20. I was playing it on Series X in performance mode and having a decent time. Maybe it’s just the build I was going for (Pistol/Katana/engineer), but it just seemed jank. Like pistols barely do any damage no matter how much I upgrade them and melee does good damage but obviously you pretty much have to save that for the last few enemies so you don’t eat shit. Felt like I invested in two pretty worthless skill trees. Maybe I’m doing something wrong though (also playing on Hard since I heard it was easy in general on normal).

I liked some of the side quests but main quests seem sort of hit or miss. I stopped playing half way through one of Panam’s missions because it started sending me on a Witcher 3 style follow the trail segment and that just rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. Speaking of which, the game just seems to be missing the sense of cohesion that Witcher 3 had I think.

Also I just have this feeling the next gen versions are gonna be cancelled. Current CDPR just seems too disorganized to do anything other than play catch up with fixes bugs.

Nail on the head. I played it on PC, and although the RT is nice, it didn’t make the game any better unfortunately. It’s as you say, for all the shortcomings Witcher 3 just brought it’s elements together to make something memorable and Cyberpunk instead feels like a bunch of loose parts that by themselves sound great, but provide for a very average playing experience.

Kuranghi

It seems like you're avoiding giving a actual answer in case you're wrong. Left or right?

If I was wrong I'm pretty sure the person I was talking to would've told me so. If you can't tell the difference, from what I said then why are you even worrying about it, just enjoy the extra frames.

You're trying to make out like I'm scared to answer but I already did. I really don't want to talk about this anymore, thanks.

ss_lemonade

They just need to port slightly scaled down PC version (I doubt they will keep full RT options) and it should work fine on the hardware that is on consoles.

4faCyberpunk2077Screens.png
6beCyberpunk2077Screens.png
Cyberpunk-2077-Screenshot-2021.08.07---17.48.39.92.png
Cyberpunk-2077-Screenshot-2021.08.07---18.46.08.12.png
GPU-wise, next gen consoles should be more capable than something like a 1080 Ti. I used to have a 1080 Ti and that one was able to play through the game at fairly high framerates with a good settings, so an optimized next gen console version should run well.

Can't you answer that with the information I gave?
Pretty sure they are asking because it's hard to tell which one you think is the native shot. From your description, it sounds like you are referring to the left shot as the DLSS one. I never tried 1080p because I think that's too low of a resolution for using DLSS, but the right shot looks like the DLSS one for me (DLSS helps to clean up those hair artifacts).

The thing with DLSS is it works better the higher your base resolution is. That's what makes it a great option when you are aiming for 4k.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
If I was wrong I'm pretty sure the person I was talking to would've told me so. If you can't tell the difference, from what I said then why are you even worrying about it, just enjoy the extra frames.

You're trying to make out like I'm scared to answer but I already did. I really don't want to talk about this anymore, thanks.
Left or right?

Edit: I'll take that thumbs up as you aren't going to answer precisely because you are scared of being wrong.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Don’t even bother on PS5. The lack of NPCs makes it feel like a tech demo.

Pretty much.

They need PS6 for crowds to exist. /s

Watch CDPR claim IO interactive is doing voodoo to get those crazy crowds in Hitman on PS4 and XONE lol

When you say "everything", does that include RT? I have a 3080, and while at 1080p I do get 80-90 fps in places with RT on, in many many places, I'm dropping into the 30s and 40s... I have a much shittier CPU though; i7 6700k @4.6 GHz...

RT for lighting is too demanding. I only use RT reflections, but 30-40 drops is def your CPU being 4C8T. With an 8 core and 3080 it's extremely rare where it can dip just below 60. I only know of one such place.

Cyberpunk2077-2021-08-08-04-16-46-861-1.png

Kenpachii

When you say "everything", does that include RT? I have a 3080, and while at 1080p I do get 80-90 fps in places with RT on, in many many places, I'm dropping into the 30s and 40s... I have a much shittier CPU though; i7 6700k @4.6 GHz...

It's your CPU.

Cowddensity max on a 9900k will see near 90% use ( 8/16 core ) but also drops to low 50's at times ( not enough single core performance ) that's at 5,0ghz. Mid is the only solution unless u got something like a future CPU. Then wait for zen 4 and hope it delivers or the next jump up with intel if there rumors are real.

Here's a demonstration where it drops as low as 52 when u move fast around public, u can also see the other density in the video.

This is based on early patches tho, could be they optimized it a bit more now.

Or deal with the drops at times with gsync which isn't that bad.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Don’t even bother on PS5. The lack of NPCs makes it feel like a tech demo.
This was my biggest complaint about playing it on PS5.. It's so bad that it does not make the game feel playable and or enjoyable..

That issue alone is what made me stop playing to wait for next gen version. I feel like it will still be optimized like shit even when we do get it.

Didn't DF just do a Cyberpunk video a little while ago? they are hurting for content aren't they? What's the point of continuing to do these videos until proper PS5/XSX versions are released? it just fuels console wars, which of course is what keeps DF in business no matter how much they deny it.

Riky

$MSFT
Playing Series X with VRR is the best console way to play, resolution above 1080p and smooth performance. Not sure I want to play anymore until real next gen code arrives, game needs a total relaunch.
As it's primarily a PC game I'm hoping being on the same GDK will help the Series versions rather than playing Xbox One code.

It's your CPU.

Cowddensity max on a 9900k will see near 90% use ( 8/16 core ) but also drops to low 50's at times ( not enough single core performance ) that's at 5,0ghz. Mid is the only solution unless u got something like a future CPU. Then wait for zen 4 and hope it delivers or the next jump up with intel if there rumors are real.

Here's a demonstration where it drops as low as 52 when u move fast around public, u can also see the other density in the video.

This is based on early patches tho, could be they optimized it a bit more now.

Or deal with the drops at times with gsync which isn't that bad.

Yeah that vid is old news. You can totally cap to 60 in that place. Crowd density got almost no impact - maybe few fps. What is problematic it's RT ultra (every RT option selected) is extremely taxing on CPU.

Top Bottom