• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Deadly Premonition 2 on Switch: Just How Bad Is Performance?

Fake

Just how bad is the frame-rate in Deadly Premonition 2 on Nintendo Switch? Catch up with Rich's weekend performance testing on both Deadly Premonition 2 and Deadly Premonition Origins - the Switch port of the original Xbox 360 game. And could that vintage 360 release actually be the most satisfying performer of them all and the best game? Series veteran John Linneman weighs in.

Summary?

- 0 fps most of the time on the second game in loading time or just skating around the city
- John have the ideia of looking into this game after people keep saying this bad perfomance was the same in the Xbox 360, with John easily disagree because he played.
- Switch vs Xbox 360. Both Rich and John don't have the PS3 version aka Deluxe Edition with have bad perfomance as well.
- The first game have unlocked frame rate with beat the Xbox 360, but vary the most of the time.
- The second runs at 30 on Xbox 360 with some ocasional dips here and there.
- On Switch in the other hand, runs the first scene at 20~22 (interrogation part)
- When come to the open area where you can use a skate, perfomance runs abysmal at the minimum of 0 fps with some freeze times due to the loading time.
- Speaking of loading time, there is some severe dips while the screen remains in loading time (big tree)
- So, this game beat Lichdoom Battlemage (without the patch) and ARK as the worst performance this gen.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Skipped through the video, and I'm seeing a constant 15 FPS outdoors for 2, for anyone wondering, lol.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Its so sluggish its kinda embarassing to watch. Whats up with those demented low fps? I mean, there are 2~0 fps segments here lol

When I though 3DO Doom was terrible...there yah have it.

But I guess majority don't care.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me its really weird to see DF covering this game but not Sakura Wars on PS4, that game is looker and interesting use of Hedgehog Engine 2.

Fake

For me its really weird to see DF covering this game but not Sakura Wars on PS4, that game is looker and interesting use of Hedgehog Engine 2.

John explain on the video. People saying the version of this game on Xbox 360 runs as shit as the Switch and John disagree, this is why he made the video.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm having an incredibly difficult time playing it because of how bad it performs. I was able to stomach the performance issues of the original's Switch port, but it's almost unbearable for me with the sequel. A total monkey's paw situation for me.

Probably going to end up trading it in and hope for a port on PC or other consoles.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I'm disappointed. I expected DP 2 to run at sub zero framerates. Swery needs to patch this shit ASAP.

Last edited:

Danjin44

John explain on the video. People saying the version of this game on Xbox 360 runs as shit as the Switch and John disagree, this is why he made the video.
I guess, but these guys even cover Pokemon and Sakura wars PS4 does far more interesting thing on technical side, these guys only cover well known games?

Fake

I guess, but these guys even cover Pokemon and Sakura wars PS4 does far more interesting thing on technical side, these guys only cover well known games?

To be honest, they cover that clone Pokemon game too, so IDK what the metric used here. Maybe thousand of whinings on the other forum.

Is all about clicks after all.

UnNamed

Banned
I haven't played the first game too much, but I remember it was just a limited budget game with some glitch.
This one, on the contrary, it's just a mess.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Do you really expect something affiliated with Eurogamer to give a game centered around Japanese waifus any additional attention? It's a miracle they have a review, and it's done by a freelance contributor.

Danjin44

Do you really expect something affiliated with Eurogamer to give a game centered around Japanese waifus any additional attention? It's a miracle they have a review, and it's done by a freelance contributor.
So is Persona 5 but they cover that game as well, I would even argue Persona 3-5 owes their S.Link system to Sakura Wars series.

Last edited:
Worse than Sonic Boom! 😱😂😱😂😱😂
tumblr_nu3r18sTQC1uouf1fo1_r1_1280.gif

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
So is Persona 5 but they cover that game as well, I would even argue Persona 3-5 owes their S.Link system to Sakura Wars series.

Persona 5 is a very popular game, so they can't afford to ignore it.

Sakura Wars is an awesome but niche game, so they can afford to ignore it, and quite obviously they will.

Sites like Eurogamer, Gamespot, IGN, etcetera, will not give Japanese games the light of day unless one of two conditions applies:

1: They're popular enough that ignoring them means a measurable monetary loss
2: they're served an exclusive by the developer/publisher.

And even if these two cases apply, their coverage will be ridiculously shallow.

In Deadly premonition 2's case, it's an extreme oddity, so covering it makes them money due to the curiosity effect and controversy, so case 1 applies.

Last edited:

rubhen925

Been playing the game for about 7 hours. The game is easily the worst performing game i've seen this year and on the switch. My god. Skateboarding around the city is the fastest way to get around. Doing it gives me a headache. Story is really interesting, but gameplay wise meh. The design of the whole game is archaic too.

Danjin44

Persona 5 is a very popular game, so they can't afford to ignore it.

Sakura Wars is an awesome but niche game, so they can afford to ignore it, and quite obviously they will.

Sites like Eurogamer, Gamespot, IGN, etcetera, will not give Japanese games the light of day unless one of two conditions applies:

1: They're popular enough that ignoring them means a measurable monetary loss
2: they're served an exclusive by the developer/publisher.

And even if these two cases apply, their coverage will be ridiculously shallow.

In Deadly premonition 2's case, it's an extreme oddity, so covering it makes them money due to the curiosity effect and controversy, so case 1 applies.
Its a shame Sakura Wars on PS4 is legitimately good game and they put lots of effort to the visuals, it sad to see getting ignored like this.

Holy fuck that's embarrassing. Fucking Destructoid and IGN Spain gave this game a 8/10 and Dualshockers gave it a 9/10. Wtf were they on when they played this.

One would expect Nintendo to step in and fix those issues before release. Bit of a shame they allowed the game to be released in this state. I say this as someone who owns it.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Wooooow, the framerate is so bad in the open world parts it reminds me of playing 16-bit 3D games, like Hard Drivin' on Genesis or Castle Master on Amiga.

Last edited:
Top Bottom