• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct: Playstation 5 Controller, UI, SSD News Reaction + Analysis

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I see, was just wondering why people are making so much noise about them, in this thread and others, when they are only devkits, that is all.

I think it’s because the new aluminum and black render came out from the site that did the all black one, and it looks a lot better.

And most people don’t read and assume when they see a picture that it is what it is from clickbait articles.

DonF

So far it has been confirmed that there's a "hole" in the controller. What's it for? It could be an expansion port. It could be a design choice or just a "feature" in a prototype. Or it could be a microphone. Or, it could be where they send the microwaves that really control you.
my comment was an educated guess. Your comment is of no value.

looks an awful lot like the PS4's DualShock 4. After all, there's a little hole on it, and a recently published patent points to Sony developing a voice-driven AI assistant for the PlayStation. But all I get from Cerny is, "We'll talk more about it another time."

Now take a look at tv remotes with microphones, look at the top.
MQGD2

Z01.jpg

in the age of bluetooth 5.0 and other wireless standards, do you really think that its an expansion bay?

Speculation, but lets wait and see.

A.Romero

That devkit design would look terrible on my set up. Having a current age product with face buttons for play, pause, next track etc would be beyond stupid an useless.

Zero chance this is even close to the final design. I'd even take a bet on it.

Regarding the controller, I don't think it's for a microphone. Most likely it's something VR related.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think it's the camera for the PSVR. I think there was a patent for this earlier this year, but maybe I'm wrong.

It very well could be a microphone or camera, I just wish they would have had more fun with it.

I think the microphone would be a bit of redundancy since you can do all of that already with the PlayStation camera as well as a headset.

But who knows what they have planned if it was a microphone, I don't think with the main focus would be simplistic menu commands that would just be there by default.

If anything I would have went with more 3D audio related if there was a microphone in the controller.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think it's the camera for the PSVR. I think there was a patent for this earlier this year, but maybe I'm wrong.
This guy thinks it's for "voice controlled AI". So a tiny microphone built right into it.

There's a small hole in the controller suggesting Sony is planning on following up on a patent it filed for a voice-controlled AI for the system.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As for me, Sony systems are always ugly (PS2 is among the worst ones in recent generations of all console makers), BUT if PS5 can resemble that black/chrome dev kit in some fashion, it will be the coolest looking console ever..... (although gun metal grey Neo Geo still looks great after 30 years).

Nickolaidas

I don't care how it looks like, it's not like I'll wear it or something. I only care how it functions. Is it powerful enough? Is it cooled enough? Those are the only questions that truly matter to me.

I hope the hole is a mic, and that xbox next also has one so more devs will do things like alien isolation + kinect, where the mic is an extension of the aliens hearing and any noises you make can give away your position.

Saber

Gold Member
Looks like shit. Like a cheap $30 modem, even though it's the size of a VCR (looks how small the disc slot is)
playstation-5-render-2-1200x940.jpg

But add some black and chrome and this looks awesome.... except for that Lets Go Digital tag???
sony-ps5-770x749.jpg

I like both to be honest.
Although the first one could use a metalic touch, but its just a material change.

FranXico

I think the hole was left open to keep the actual feature a secret. It's a small touch screen, replacing the DS4 touchpad (adding a feature while preserving backwards compatibility). That's why it carries a bigger battery. And it probably will still not be enough...

Last edited:

Three

I guess I am describing it how it is on a phone or the controller now with a "screen" or "grille".

But the hole would be so tiny, I am surprised Sony even mentioned yet. They made it sound bigger and more noticeable. Or I may just be thinking that as well. We will see I guess.
I doubt it's just a microphone. Why would they say " we'll share more on that later" if it was just a mic. They would have just said it's a mic. Wasn’t it rumoured that Sony are going for inside out tracking? It's likely a camera of some kind.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I doubt it's just a microphone. Why would they say " we'll share more on that later" if it was just a mic. They would have just said it's a mic. Wasn’t it rumoured that Sony are going for inside out tracking? It's likely a camera of some kind.

That is the direction I was headed with my initial gut, since that would have multipurpose use with the 3D RT audio as well.

Last edited:
Why do we even have a thread every time someone says something about the next gen consoles? I don't think they really know, or if they know they can't talk about it because this would break their trust relationship with Sony (not specific to DF, all youtubers did the same).

Even the rumors change from time to time, so it's very possible that console specs aren't fixed in stone at this point.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why do we even have a thread every time someone says something about the next gen consoles? I don't think they really know, or if they know they can't talk about it because this would break their trust relationship with Sony (not specific to DF, all youtubers did the same).

Even the rumors change from time to time, so it's very possible that console specs aren't fixed in stone at this point.

New news, new thread. It is how it's always been here.

giphy.gif

Because it is going to be a fun ride over the next 3-6 months!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
you people are nuts, both renders look fantastic. very futuristic and all but confirms a powerful 200-250w system.

i never look at a console when im playing. i will never understand gamers' fascination with boxarts and console designs. you arent trying to fuck this console. you dont have to look at its ugly face all day or wake up next to it. all that matters is the beauty inside.

Fake

you people are nuts, both renders look fantastic. very futuristic and all but confirms a powerful 200-250w system.

i never look at a console when im playing. i will never understand gamers' fascination with boxarts and console designs. you arent trying to fuck this console. you dont have to look at its ugly face all day or wake up next to it. all that matters is the beauty inside.
Some want design, others exclusives, others best third party, others just want to have fun. Different people, different tastes.

Cleared_Hot

Cool. You don't get it. But here you are commenting about it so everyone knows you're different. The rest of us enjoy speculation and get excited over the design.

There is a possibility that the toilet seat PS5 dev kit is along the lines of what the final product looks like.

The PS2, 360 and Xbox One X dev kits looked more or less exactly like their retail versions.

Cooling the next consoles is probably one of their biggest hurdles, hence the need for excessive ventilation.

Last edited:

thanosg

Banned
make the controller last more than 10 hrs in one charge please. the big pad on the PS4 controller was really bad designed and not much game use that well

Sure, we don't look at the console when we're playing.. But we spend a substantial amount of time not playing, hanging around at home?

I guess I just like my apartment to look.. Not like shit. If I've made an effort to get nice looking stuff, furniture, collections etc, I don't want it all ruined by a really ugly detail.

Duallusion

That design, ugh... Besides looking tacky and downright ugly, having vents in such a circular fashion seems just plain stupid as well.

Texas Pride

Banned
Function over form imo. I like it. I'd rather it look quirky and keep cool than burn up like the many 360's I went through.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm expecting a box/parallelogram thingy with vapor chamber cooler and blower fan like X1X. Maybe something like what they used on the 5700XT which was 225W TBP. I doubt next-gen consoles will hit 200W total system consumption.

The PS5 dev kit is built like that for stacking, particularly the V-shape intake on the front. It also has pads on the top and bottom that align for this purpose. Thing is probably packing the full CU config with twice the RAM and SSD size because it's a devkit. Codemasters dev confirmed they already had these before deleting his tweet.

sony_ps5_development_kit_0fb3.jpg

tldr; I don't think the V-intake makes the cut for retail.

BigBooper

After seeing this dual color render, this made it start to grow on me.

sony-ps5-770x749.jpg

I kinda like it too, but that thing would be a huge dust magnet.

Top Bottom