• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Direct Special: Halo Infinite Technical Preview Tested on Xbox Series X|S, PC, Xbox One X|S

kingfey

Banned
DF to Halo
Studio Go GIF by The Kid LAROI.

Jebron

The more I reflect on the weekend with the Infinite tech preview, the more I'm just kind of "meh" on the game. I understand it's a tech preview, but absolutely nothing stood out to me as "wow this is definitely a new experience". It ran like shit on my PC and acceptable on my Series X, but beyond the performance, I feel like the whole experience was pretty bland. All the mechanics, weapons, animations, movement, etc. seem so overwhelmingly average. This was my most anticipated game of this year, and after playing the tech preview I'm indifferent on the game. All my hype and anticipation has basically evaporated.

Concern

The more I reflect on the weekend with the Infinite tech preview, the more I'm just kind of "meh" on the game. I understand it's a tech preview, but absolutely nothing stood out to me as "wow this is definitely a new experience". It ran like shit on my PC and acceptable on my Series X, but beyond the performance, I feel like the whole experience was pretty bland. All the mechanics, weapons, animations, movement, etc. seem so overwhelmingly average. This was my most anticipated game of this year, and after playing the tech preview I'm indifferent on the game. All my hype and anticipation has basically evaporated.

*looks at post history*

Ray Liotta Lol GIF

Why is it besides maybe 1 or 2 people, that everyone else so "disappointed" with the game have a shitty post history? Lol

supernova8

Banned
*looks at post history*

Ray Liotta Lol GIF

Why is it besides maybe 1 or 2 people, that everyone else so "disappointed" with the game have a shitty post history? Lol

Hell of a lot people are disappointed with it visually because it's a visually disappointing game as a big-budget AAA game, and then 10x more so when you consider it's meant to be Xbox's flagship title. This seems to be a not uncommon opinion regardless of post history.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Basically they are very impressed, Series S comes out really well.
I'm sure the final game will be even better and hopefully they get a 1080p 60fps mode onto One X.
But the real takeaway is the gameplay is top tier and deep, that's what really matters.

Stuart360

Man it looks really nice when you se high bitrate footage. I watched a couple of Halo vets stream the tech test and it didnt really look very good graphially on stream.
Not bad when Halo MP usualy looks worse than campaign.

Evilms

Banned
-Considerable upgrade on the visual and audio part of the game compared to last year's presentation.
-Use of dynamic scaling for resolution.
-1800p~2160p in 60fps mode on Series X.
-1080p~1440p in 120fps mode on X Series.
-900p~1080p in 60fps mode on S Series.
-540p~720p in 120fps mode on S Series.
-540p~720p at 30fps on One S.
-1800p~2160p at 30fps One X.
-Indirect lighting on the multiplayer maps.
-The materials look much better thanks to the ssr.
-New weapon models look great.
-Ground textures are blurrier on One S, no ssr, less detail.
-60fps mode on S|X Series is almost locked.
-120fps mode on Series S|X varies between 100~120fps (even if XSS > XSX in this mode), even better in VRR.
-Frame pacing issues on One S.
-Some performance concerns, the game struggles to maintain 60fps in 4K with an RTX 3090.
-The PC version doesn't seem to fully exploit the GPU.

Del_X

Some basic things added since the campaign preview last year are point lights on explosions, gunfire, and plasma blasts. Better (functional?) AO as well. Those are the big ones that stood out and probably responsible for a lot of the upgrade.

Basically they are very impressed, Series S comes out really well.
I'm sure the final game will be even better and hopefully they get a 1080p 60fps mode onto One X.
But the real takeaway is the gameplay is top tier and deep, that's what really matters.

Same I hope they give that option. But like they said possible CPU limitation. The thing is pretty much running FX CPU from 2012.

Codes 208

MS games have a weird teen years situation with pc ports. Gears ultimate had the same issue where at launch it was an absolute gpu hog but after a few updates they practically doubled the performance

Last edited:

Lucky8BB

Banned
900p-1080p 60fps on XSS is really impressive considering how demanding this game is on PC. I would have to upgrade literally everything on my PC just to play this game at 60fps 1080p, and here XSS is delivering stunning results for just 300$. There's also 120fps mode available on XSS, and although some people say resolutions is too low (540p-720p) I think picture quality should still look good on small FULLHD TV's, and especially considering they are using temporal reconstruction. On my 32 inch Sony LCD even PS2 games at 480p looks awesome, not to mention 540-720p reconstructed to 1080p.

-Considerable upgrade on the visual and audio part of the game compared to last year's presentation.
-120fps mode on Series S|X varies between 100~120fps (even if XSS > XSX in this mode), even better in VRR.
-Some performance concerns, the game struggles to maintain 60fps in 4K with an RTX 3090.
Surprised XSX isn't a locked 4k res during 60fps? I mean it is a cross gen game, I would think it wouldn't need that much for dynamic rez. Glad to hear the fps is locked at least.
It is only the beta though, hopefully some more optimization clears things up when the game releases.

Last edited:

Phase

Honestly looks decent, but the automated callouts really turn me off. I've disliked them since they first implemented them.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Surprised XSX isn't a locked 4k res during 60fps? I mean it is a cross gen game, I would think it wouldn't need that much for dynamic rez. Glad to hear the fps is locked at least.
It is only the beta though, hopefully some more optimization clears things up when the game releases.

Dynamic res is only there for if something happens that strains the engine so it needs a brief drop. It's the best solution possible to keep a locked 60fps. It's going to look so crisp. I can't wait.

Riky

$MSFT
"there are clear signs of substantial improvements in terms of material response and lighting - key reasons why the game's first showing in real-time looked rather flat. Just the improvement in lighting, shadowing and materials on the view weapon is significant, hinting that the time spent on the game since its delay has been well spent. Of course we should expect some technical issues with early code but ultimately, we can chalk this up as a highly promising, successful and well-received hands-on gameplay debut. Halo Infinite looks to be back on track and we can't wait to see more."

From the Eurogamer write up.

It's not a locked 4K60 on an RTX 3090. So yeah, it needs quite a bit of optimization until release.

I had no idea this was only 30 fps on last gen consoles. I thought it was 60 fps like Halo 5. This makes the underwhelming visuals all the more puzzling.
Visually its significant upgrade over Halo 5 visually. MP in tech preview looks much better than Halo 5 sp. There are screenshots to prove it or if you have played both recently which i have then you can easily tell lighting, textures n all much better.

Last gen consoles are after thought now, they are releasing on last gen consoles just to maximize profit and to have larger install base but everyone knows real experience is on nextgen consoles and PC.

Also if you go and see Halo 5 DF analysis then you will notice significant compromises were made to achieve 60fps on Xbox one with Halo 5.

Last edited:

GHG

Finally a video where you can actual see the fine detail, all those other vids I saw looked liked smeared ass and I was struggling to see how the graphics were impressive in any way.

Yep it looks better than I thought it would. Hats off to them, they've made some good improvements and the game has come a long way in comparison to what was shown last year.

Kenpachii

Like why even bother with 60 fps on PC and who even uses vsync on PC in a shooter lol. shit needs to run at 100+ fps if not 144 at mid range cards.

Complete pointless PC review.

Also that multiplayer map looks rough men.

Last edited:
What you have to understand is that the bland experience you describe, mainly because it's nothing new per say, is what a lot of Halo fans have been wanting for a long time. The last widely accepted Halo game for its gameplay was Halo 3. Reach introduced bloom and a change in game physics that made players feel less floaty/more weighty and its reception was very divided. In Halo 4, I'd argue the physics and gun mechanics were superb, but marred by other game design choices. Halo 5 was fun but a completely different experience when it comes to Halo.

If Halo 3 released in 2007, that means players have been wanting something more akin to what we saw in the beta for just under 15 years. You call it bland, but I imagine a lot of halo fans would call it a welcome return to Halo gameplay. And it's not what I would call classic Halo, but it's hopefully/possibly a big step in the right direction.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Its all the same sony bellends who voted E on the other thread but they actually never even played the game.
Just ignore it mate. Don't risk a potential ban over saying stuff like this. There's great games coming out this year and halo looks like it could end up being one of the strongest!

With a name like yours just enjoy that. ODST is still one of my absolute favourite halo experiences.

I still want a battle royal mode with odst drop pods!

Armorian

Banned

SSR? Holy shit, 2010 feature (Crysis 2)
One S version... LOL
Current PC performance is trash, I wonder how much it will improve

Exanthus

Banned
I had no idea this was only 30 fps on last gen consoles. I thought it was 60 fps like Halo 5. This makes the underwhelming visuals all the more puzzling.
I'm pretty sure before last year's demo, they were targeting 60fps on last gen too... That probably changed after the knock back

Stuart360

Are you on about the 120fps mode?, John said in the video that its basically locked at 60fps, barring very rare single digit drops.

elliot5

whats the point of 120hz if you are only able to hit it when dropping to 540p
Did you watch the video? It very rarely hits 540p. The image is usually 900p-720p upscaled and still looks very clean in motion. Watch the Series S footage.. it looks fine. It's running at 120 fps and it's a technical preview. It'll probably run better closer to launch.

There's always the 60 fps mode for higher resolution.

John even said he played on Series S at 120hz the most because it was the most stable at the highest framerate and it looks good. It drops during heated moments but you're so engrossed it's not like you're ever going to notice.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I see the XSS average framerate of the 120hz mode is higher than the XSX here, is that common across games other games? If yes does that mean XSS is actually what you want to buy for the best competitive MP experience? Or are there other factors?

elliot5

I see the XSS average framerate of the 120hz mode is higher than the XSX here, is that common across games other games? If yes does that mean XSS is actually what you want to buy for the best competitive MP experience? Or are there other factors?
It's just a technical preview. Ask again at release.

VRR would negate a lot of the smaller dips anyway so if you really wanted to be "competitive" on console you'd still want the XSX and a compatible TV/monitor I think

Edit: that's not what the video showed about the PC settings...it's perfectly capable of playing at 4k 60 ultra with an external frame rate cap or vsync. It has the Mario kart Wii u problem. That's all. And ultra settings in general are stupid. Don't use them and 4k120 should be possible on the 3090 (with some further optimization maybe--see below for 3080 so I can only assume it's possible)

What settings were used for 4k60fps? You can get a perfectly acceptable image quality (medium ish settings) at 4k on a 3080 averaging around 100fps at 4k.

I think there are optimization issues, and for sure with different builds moreso than others. But there were some tweaks, like setting min and max frame rate to 120fps, that drastically improved my fps at times.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
With the kind of PC I have, I went ahead and got a Series S to play split screen with the kids.

I'm subbing to Game pass for now unless someone tells me where I can get it super cheap.

Also, the surround sound doesn't work and my receiver won't accept the signal.

But I'm good lol

elliot5

With the kind of PC I have, I went ahead and got a Series S to play split screen with the kids.

I'm subbing to Game pass for now unless someone tells me where I can get it super cheap.

Also, the surround sound doesn't work and my receiver won't accept the signal.

But I'm good lol
Multiplayer will be f2p, no gold sub needed. Halo infinite retail won't be found for cheap anywhere really until release where you can probably get "10%" off by using Microsoft Rewards with a punch card. Or black Friday idk. It'll just be $60 but game pass will also give you a discount

Top Bottom