• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Direct Weekly #59: PlayStation 5 VRR, Steam Deck 40-60Hz Upgrade, 900W Next-Gen GPUs?

900W!?

Now we're playing with power

Screenshot_2016-07-21__1_08_PM.0.0.png

Last edited:

eNT1TY

John says he still plays Elden Ring on Xbox due to the larger VRR range and forcing 120hz option.
Also confirms again that Halo Infinite does support VRR after all, it's the game itself that causes issues.
Very proud of you, I'm so happy your toy preference is validated by someone else. Happiness is a virtue many long for and this bringing you yours is something to celebrate. Cheers mate!

SLB1904

Banned
''what insomniac is doing here is the perfect example of what VRR should offer''

enough said

'' the fact that has to be used in elden ring is not a good thing, right?! the game doesnt run well on anything, its not something i think is great''

lol i guess my man riki gloss over that part

Last edited:

A.Romero

Haven't watched the video but I don't see an scenario where consoles would be consuming 900W. Hell, even people like myself that usually don't pay notice to stuff like that are considering that on PC gaming because power consumption is crazy with current gen GPU (at least Nvidia).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Interesting note that without specific patches and purely on a system level the VRR range for Xbox is 40~60hz on 60hz games and 48~60hz on PS5 on 60hz games.

It's a weird oddity but it's there.

The main reason why he says he (John) still prefers playing ER on the Series X, as the PS5 can often drop below 48 FPS and the VRR there doesn't cover it.

Surprised they haven't done a separate VRR video for the PS5 yet.

Actually, maybe I shouldn't be.

I'm sure they're working on it, the update just came out and they're probably gonna cover a bunch of both patched and unpatched games.

Last edited:

adamsapple

DF's commentary on the PS+ Trial system is also interesting.

John "I'm not really a big fan of it"

Rich "It is a bit odd that they want people to subscribe to the highest paid tier to get a sampler of the service, seems a bit desperate".

Last edited:

adamsapple

From are never going to drop the res to 1440p, are they? That should fix the bigger dips.

I don't think From have ever gone back and updated any of their games to a satisfactory manner.

Bloodborne's frame pacing is still there all those years later even though fans have shown how they can fix it with unofficial patches on jailbroken systems.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
DF's commentary on the PS+ Trial system is also interesting.

John "I'm not really a big fan of it"

Rich "It is a bit odd that they want people to subscribe to the highest paid tier to get a sampler of the service, seems a bit desperate".
Not a fan of it either just being on the highest paid tier, it should be on all tiers

Pay the most money to get a demo of a game you then have to actually buy

Tom Cruise What GIF

solidus12

If a game performs under 48fps, then the problem is coming from the game; it’s performance issues not a bad implementation of VRR.

+ Elden Ring runs better on PS5 no?

Also, funny comment from Alex regarding Bloodborne, said that it would run better on Xbox because of its VRR implementation, lol. Glad John schooled him on that 🤓

Md Ray

If a game performs under 48fps, then the problem is coming from the game; it’s performance issues not a bad implementation of VRR.

Also, funny comment from Alex regarding Bloodborne, said that it would run better on Xbox because of its VRR implementation, lol. Glad John schooled him on that 🤓
Timestamp?

Surprised they haven't done a separate VRR video for the PS5 yet.

Actually, maybe I shouldn't be.
Yea, after they talked so much about it in every video comparison since this gen started you'd think they would make a big deal about it. My FreeSync range in 40 though.

Regardless I don't get why devs insist on increasing the resolution if the game isn't even hitting 60fps. Makes no sense.

Why would Sony limit the min range to 48hz? What's the point?

Last edited:
I was unaware that there were issues with local dimming and VRR on an LCD screen, thankfully I have an OLED, but that would be a deal-breaker for me.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I was unaware that there were issues with local dimming and VRR on an LCD screen, thankfully I have an OLED, but that would be a deal-breaker for me.
On OLED it may cause gamma shifts, for the latter LG for example added another setting for people to fine tune dark areas with as the OLED panels were designed to run at their native framerate.

See: https://www.oled-a.org/lgersquos-48rdquo-oled-attracting-game-monitor-buyers_9620.html

So yeah, not perfect yet.

Last edited:

My PC is trash, much worse than a PS5 in every way, and even in it I don't think I see below 48fps in Elden Ring very often, something isn't right.

I don't get why devs insist on increasing resolution before reaching 60fps. Is it just them refusing to admit the game is poorly optimized?

Last edited:

FrankWza

Also with Elden Ring, PS5 was mostly in the 50s based on his initial review and I remember him saying that with the x version you could still feel the dips even with VRR because it spent more time lower. Don’t see how the PS5 wouldn’t be preferred since it stays closer to 60 and it’s well within range.

adamsapple

Also with Elden Ring, PS5 was mostly in the 50s based on his initial review and I remember him saying that with the x version you could still feel the dips even with VRR because it spent more time lower. Don’t see how the PS5 wouldn’t be preferred since it stays closer to 60 and it’s well within range.

And based on VGTech the lowest drop on PS5 is 42fps and both 1st and 5th percentile frame rates are below the 48hz threshold (45 and 47 FPS respectively).

So, he's right about frequent drops below 48 FPS.

A simple 120hz update from From (even if the game has a soft lock of 60 FPS) will fix this, but that's asking too much of them.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Why do some games need to be patched? It's at system level, it just works.

I know you're taking the piss on Rick here but the answer is in the video itself :p

TL;DR it just does work on a system level, just the VRR minimum threshold is different between the two consoles unless a game is patched with 120hz support.

intbal

Yea, after they talked so much about it in every video comparison since this gen started you'd think they would make a big deal about it. My FreeSync range in 40 though.

Regardless I don't get why devs insist on increasing the resolution if the game isn't even hitting 60fps. Makes no sense.

Why would Sony limit the min range to 48hz? What's the point?

I don't think that's Sony's doing. That's the official standard for HDMI Forum VRR and Sony wanted perfect conformity for the standard.
It's probably the best decision. It will encourage developers to adjust settings to stay in the guaranteed range.

assurdum

Banned
Interesting note that without specific patches and purely on a system level the VRR range for Xbox is 40~60hz on 60hz games and 48~60hz on PS5 on 60hz games.

It's a weird oddity but it's there.

The main reason why he says he (John) still prefers playing ER on the Series X, as the PS5 can often drop below 48 FPS and the VRR there doesn't cover it.

I'm sure they're working on it, the update just came out and they're probably gonna cover a bunch of both patched and unpatched games.
It's not an oddity. From what I read here and there, Sony probably has limited the VRR frequency in the auto VRR intentionally because the BC mode on ps5 is tied to the frequency.

Last edited:

adamsapple

It's not an oddity. From what I read here and there, Sony probably has limited the VRR frequency in the auto VRR intentionally because the BC mode on ps5 is tied to the frequency.

But the PS4 games (BC games essentially) don't even utilize VRR as per John in this video (and I'm sure elsewhere).

I imagine they're following the rigid hdmi forum limit, and Xbox may have done some more custom implementation to have a lower VRR threshold.

assurdum

Banned
But the PS4 games (BC games essentially) don't even utilize VRR as per John in this video (and I'm sure elsewhere).

I imagine they're following the rigid hdmi forum limit, and Xbox may have done some more custom implementation to have a lower VRR threshold.
If VRR it's activated the frequency profile can cause issue on BC mode, doesn't matter if not works for PS4 games. My wild guess VRR can't work for the PS4 games because they use the "oldest" hdmi format.

Last edited:
Not a fan of it either just being on the highest paid tier, it should be on all tiers

Pay the most money to get a demo of a game you then have to actually buy

Tom Cruise What GIF
The demos wouldn't exist otherwise, how often do we get game demos anymore? I'm not going to upgrade anything from the basic service myself but the fact that they are going to make it, so people get a chance to play 2 hours of a game that they'd otherwise spend $60-$70 on without ever playing it before at all seems pretty cool. It's not like any competition does that with all games, I know some like to point at game pass but it's not like every game is on game pass, very few new 3rd party games launch on it and MS only releases one or two AAA games every year and a half. Neither service is perfect and yes it would be nice to have the demos on every level but this is also a business and I get why they are trying to make that top tier seem like it has the most value for the money.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The demos wouldn't exist otherwise, how often do we get game demos anymore? I'm not going to upgrade anything from the basic service myself but the fact that they are going to make it, so people get a chance to play 2 hours of a game that they'd otherwise spend $60-$70 on without ever playing it before at all seems pretty cool. It's not like any competition does that with all games, I know some like to point at game pass but it's not like every game is on game pass, very few new 3rd party games launch on it and MS only releases one or two AAA games every year and a half. Neither service is perfect and yes it would be nice to have the demos on every level but this is also a business and I get why they are trying to make that top tier seem like it has the most value for the money.
I agree it doesn't compare to GP but not all games will have the 2 hour demos only the higher priced games will

I too will only have the basic tier so far the value isn't there for the higher priced tier I need to see more personally

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Not an exact match as there is an upfront cost, but Steam and MS let you play for up to 2 hours and be eligible for a refund on all games. Not apples to oranges obviously and I generally agree with your point. I still have the opinion this feature should be shared across all tiers.

Top Bottom