• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Dying Light on Nintendo Switch Tech Review - Another Miracle Mobile Port?

Bullet Club

Dying Light is out soon for Nintendo Switch - and Digital Foundry has exclusive access to the game. This is one of the most challenging ports we've seen and Techland has done a remarkable job in scaling down and optimising this brilliant game for a vintage 2015 mobile chipset. John Linneman has all of the details.

Bullet Club

Is this one of those videos where they praise the switch for running the game and forgive all the missing shit and lower framerate?
cVbTXT7.gif

There are cuts, obviously, but it's still alright. Framerate is supposed to be OK (30FPS) in most areas with some dips. Some jerkiness which will be patched.

It should be good in handheld mode.

Is this one of those videos where they praise the switch for running the game and forgive all the missing shit and lower framerate?
If "forgiving" means realizing the game is running on much slower hardware, yeah. It still manages to stay above 30 fps most of the time, and loading times are actually faster than on the big consoles. And the game looks pretty good overall.

Lognor

Banned
Cool that it exists for those that want it. Hope it does well enough for these types of ports to continue.

jaysius

Banned
Yup, they’re one of the worst Nintendo apologist out there. They even praised that GB Zelda port when it had major framerate issues in sections, but ANY OTHER game on any other console and it gets crucified for a single drop or frame time issue.

GametimeUK

Do you think cutting back the visuals to get it running on Switch is unforgivable and do you not think it's impressive the game is running natively on the hardware? The FPS doesn't seem bad in this game at all aside from it runs at an unlocked framerate and is above 30 a lot of the time.

There's nothing to forgive here in my opinion as they are judging the port based on the hardware it was developed for which is more than reasonable.

Last edited:

Fake

Is pretty holds up, unlike Doom/Witcher 3 galaxies ahead.

To be honest, never found anything impressive in this game, but I do agree that PS4/Xbox games that run at 30 are more likely to be no problem on Nintendo Switch.

Romulus

If "forgiving" means realizing the game is running on much slower hardware, yeah. It still manages to stay above 30 fps most of the time, and loading times are actually faster than on the big consoles. And the game looks pretty good overall.

The game came about 7 years ago, developers had very little experience with the underpowered ps4 and Xbox one at that point. Switch is in its prime in terms of optimization. And just in terms of graphics on PS4, it looks rough now to me. The shadows and draw distance were pretty good, but that's cut back drastically on switch. But using this ps4 game as a bar of some sort is just low expectations right off the start nowadays. To me, it just sounds like DF likes cool ports that push hardware, he brings that up constantly.

The best part is that framerate instability can be fixed.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Do you think cutting back the visuals to get it running on Switch is unforgivable and do you not think it's impressive the game is running natively on the hardware? The FPS doesn't seem bad in this game at all aside from it runs at an unlocked framerate and is above 30 a lot of the time.

There's nothing to forgive here in my opinion as they are judging the port based on the hardware it was developed for which is more than reasonable.

I don't think so imo.
I have a laptop, mostly for work but its far far away from a gaming laptop(my last one was gaming but it broked long ago).
He barelly runs Counter Strike source on medium for instance. So I simply put everything on very low, turn every effect off and call it a day. Does that count as miracle? Thats the thing I dont agree with nowadays. Everythig is miracle when its ported to Switch. And this is me not shitting on Switch, because I know some hardass games being ported on Switch that are frankly impressive.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Yup, they’re one of the worst Nintendo apologist out there. They even praised that GB Zelda port when it had major framerate issues in sections, but ANY OTHER game on any other console and it gets crucified for a single drop or frame time issue.
Have any examples of games theyve crucified? (Also with the zelda port, they brought up that the framerate issue was likely with loading assets when you go into new areas because otherwise the framerate was pretty solid. But they *did* call that out.)

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Eh, it looks like ass and runs like shit.

I like Nintendo's first party output on the Switch, it's one of their best generation ever. But third party is a huge let down with a lot sub-par ports of games that have no business of being on a mobile (first) console.

We will never get bespoke mobile experiences like Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars on the Nintendo DS ever again, are we?

Ezquimacore

Banned

I like Nintendo's first party output on the Switch, it's one of their best generation ever. But third party is a huge let down with a lot sub-par ports of games that have no business of being on a mobile (first) console.

We will never get bespoke mobile experiences like Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars on the Nintendo DS ever again, are we?
try monster hunter rise

Ezquimacore

Banned
I understand the port analysis but when they start to compare a 18 watts portable machine with full consoles is when I roll my eyes the whole video.

Onironauta

There are people who want to play these ports even if they are not for you. Their existence has no negative effect on the Switch.

Jack Uzi

Banned
Oh, if only DF were around during the PS1 days. Anyhoo, my copy arrives Tuesday!
That’s a “what if” scenario I would love to see. They really should do a side project where they look at games from those eras and analyse them as if they were released today.
Just for fun though.

Romulus

It's crazy how close the Switch comes to PS4 in this port.
04XcvqG.png

Incredible port. I do wonder why Dying Light 2 is only cloud though, if Dying Light 1 runs this well, Dying Light 2 should be doable too, considering it's still coming to the Xbox One and PS4.

That screenshot comes from the intro. He said the intro holds up very well, but once the game starts in the open world you see that it's not as good as the intro.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Lol this assumption is motherfucking beautiful.
well we only can assume, and based on your comment that's what is look like it. A $200-$300 18 watts portable with a dated tegra chip running dying light at 720p-1080p, 30fps FROM a cartridge is something you don't see everyday. As a matter of fact is something you would not see at all if the switch was not a thing.

Jack Uzi

Banned

Why would I be impressed? If you cut back enough of anything you can get games running on reasonable hardware. Did you forget that Dead Rising and CoD MW were ported to the Wii? I dunno why they keep using terms like Miracle, they can with enough optimisations obviously get these games running on lesser hardware but they should point out the compromises and call things out for what it is. I haven’t had a chance to watch the video but oftentimes they excuse a lot of the inherent problems of a game being ported to the Switch.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
just lower resolution and lower resolution shadows, these kind of games on switch are great on handheld mode or a 720p tvs
ah, so the comment was just the typical downplaying of the switch with no merit. gotcha

should be expected to have lower framerate and worse visuals on the Switch.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrA

Banned
04XcvqG.png

Incredible port. I do wonder why Dying Light 2 is only cloud though, if Dying Light 1 runs this well, Dying Light 2 should be doable too, considering it's still coming to the Xbox One and PS4.
good chance dying light 2 runs terribly on xbox one/ps4 base,

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
04XcvqG.png

Except it looks like some kind of Dying Light spin-off, where there is no city...

Jack Uzi

Banned
It’s probably better to say “sorry I didn’t I didn’t realise you’ve not gone into Every Switch thread and shat on the Switch my bad bro”
ah, so the comment was just the typical downplaying of the switch with no merit. gotcha

should be expected to have lower framerate and worse visuals on the Switch.
How from my comment do you not realise I haven’t watched the video yet? Why would you ask the first comment what is missing? How the fuck would I know when I haven’t seen the video yet. DF’s OP’s should have write downs of what’s happened in the video instead of rushing to post the video anyway.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
It’s probably better to say “sorry I didn’t I didn’t realise you’ve not gone into Every Switch thread and shat on the Switch my bad bro”

How from my comment do you not realise I haven’t watched the video yet? Why would you ask the first comment what is missing? How the fuck would I know when I haven’t seen the video yet. DF’s OP’s should have write downs of what’s happened in the video instead of rushing to post the video anyway.
I just asked "what is missing" dude.

Jack Uzi

Banned
CoD MW on Wii was a miracle. Absolutely.

Dead Rising on Wii wasn't a port. It ran on the RE4 engine. They rebuilt the game. Apples to oranges.
Ohh I didn’t know that was on the RE4 engine that makes sense yeah since MT framework wasn’t able to run on Wii. And Yes CoD was a Miracle port considering the technical gap between the 360 and the Wii.

Deerock71

That screenshot comes from the intro. He said the intro holds up very well, but once the game starts in the open world you see that it's not as good as the intro.

You seem to have summarized that video perfectly. He states after the opening the game then melts down to stick figures that don't look as good as the characters in West of Loathing.

stick figure dancing GIF

Gameplay captured from Nintendo Switch

Last edited:

Romulus

You seem to have summarized that video perfectly. He states after the opening the game then melts down to stick figures that don't look as good as the characters in West of Loathing.

stick figure dancing GIF

Gameplay captured from Nintendo Switch

Jeez, talk about completely twisting someone's words. Apparently, "Not as good"="terrible."

when he mention the xbox one resolution I think the problem there wasnt the power of the console it was the size of the ESRAM, other deffered rendering games had to cut resolution in that console understandable as the Gbuffer scales with resolution and they had to fit on 32 MB we cannot really know the resolution xbox one can be in other circumstances, the swtich dont have that space limitation for the gbuffer, they have the limitation of bandwidth and of course less powerful GPU its not easy to compare their resolution

DF is biased in lot of comparisons(usually when alex and richard are involved), but here its not the case as this is in the context of switch, nobody is pretending there are no compromises just and analysis of what they are and how relatively good it looks despite them

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol the game looked cross gen the day it came out. It looked like shit compared to true next gen open world games like Infamous and AC Unity. Even Sunset Overdrive looked way better.

All of these games came out before dying light.

Infamous-Second-Son-740x416.png

34TFZlz.jpg
DHWhq3tUwAAgI99

DHWh5MDVYAAgwbk

ibikrjjy0k8eeb.gif

8tWK5Rc.gif

This just goes to show how DF simply does not know how to review tech. They dont realize that most of the game's features like the lighting and asset quality were last gen even on the PS4. Of course, it runs well on a 390 gflops system which is more or less on par with the PS360.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
lol the game looked cross gen the day it came out. It looked like shit compared to true next gen open world games like Infamous and AC Unity. Even Sunset Overdrive looked way better.

All of these games came out before dying light.

Infamous-Second-Son-740x416.png

34TFZlz.jpg
DHWhq3tUwAAgI99

DHWh5MDVYAAgwbk

ibikrjjy0k8eeb.gif

8tWK5Rc.gif

This just goes to show how DF simply does not know how to review tech. They dont realize that most of the game's features like the lighting and asset quality were last gen even on the PS4. Of course, it runs well on a 390 gflops system which is more or less on par with the PS360.
Games back then were better, cannot really help it. When looking back. Thank fuck for BC...

GametimeUK

I don't think so imo.
I have a laptop, mostly for work but its far far away from a gaming laptop(my last one was gaming but it broked long ago).
He barelly runs Counter Strike source on medium for instance. So I simply put everything on very low, turn every effect off and call it a day. Does that count as miracle? Thats the thing I dont agree with nowadays. Everythig is miracle when its ported to Switch. And this is me not shitting on Switch, because I know some hardass games being ported on Switch that are frankly impressive.

Whilst the term "miracle port" may be exaggerated, there are instances of good ports on PC for lower range GPU's (and anywhere in general) that give outstanding performance and visuals compared to other games that also run on the same GPU.

Why would I be impressed? If you cut back enough of anything you can get games running on reasonable hardware. Did you forget that Dead Rising and CoD MW were ported to the Wii? I dunno why they keep using terms like Miracle, they can with enough optimisations obviously get these games running on lesser hardware but they should point out the compromises and call things out for what it is. I haven’t had a chance to watch the video but oftentimes they excuse a lot of the inherent problems of a game being ported to the Switch.

So of course all ports aren't created equal, but the argument for me isn't "can it run on the device", but rather "can it run on the device and still deliver a similar gameplay experience".

Now to me a port to inferior hardware where half the level is missing, visuals are gimped beyond an acceptable level for the hardware or key features are missing etc would make a port not too impressive.

This Dying Light port from what I have seen doesn't gimp the visuals below an acceptable level for the device, retains the gameplay and has good performance. Yes I would consider this a good port as I thought the game would have to be absolutely butchered to run on Switch. Having Dying Light native in handheld mode is cool to me.

My closing comment would be it's the actual Switch which is no longer impressive as it's really showing its age. I would consider this particular port impressive. Yes I agree "miracle port "is click baity".

Last edited:

K' Dash

you need to calm down my dude.

I mean, take a look at a switch without the Joycons, that's the whole machine, the fact that the thing runs this at all is a miracle, the fact that there are devs willing to work these ports is nothing short of amazing.

this wouldn't be my preferred way to play the game, I finished it on my Series X a few months back, but as a new dad taking care of a 12 week baby girl I can appreciate the effort being made because now the Switch is my most played console because of its portability.

When I buy a port like this, I know what I'm getting into, most people do. This is not a matter to "crucify" one system or the other, each one has its advantages.

Top Bottom