• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Dying Light on Nintendo Switch Tech Review - Another Miracle Mobile Port?

Romulus

lol the game looked cross gen the day it came out. It looked like shit compared to true next gen open world games like Infamous and AC Unity. Even Sunset Overdrive looked way better.

That's a great point. Even the first time I saw actual PS4 gameplay I thought it looked like a 360 game with better shadows, textures, and draw distance which is basically what lacks in the switch port. Basically, this switch port is a lot like what a 360/ps3 port would look like, with the lower resolution with a lot of bells and whistles dialed back on top of optimization tricks.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Incredible indeed.

q8I4IND.jpg

that is flipping crazy on a 7 watt console. compared to a 150 watt console

some of the posters here do not understand how impressive it is some of these games run on switch at all

check out this youtube channel

Last edited:
But yeah, some ports are really impressive but I remember the ps4 version of this game looking way worse than on the PC. And the game itself looks both cartoony and cross gen a bit.

But anyway I hope that if they cap the fps to 30 like John always asks for that the switch 2 doesn't run switch 1 games faster, because that would be disappointing for longevity sake. Not that a 30 cap isn't the right move in this case.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

MrA

Banned
That was a section on lod transition, next frame the palm trees look exactly the same, dishonest cherry picking
“Impossible port.”

Doom 2016 at 540p 25fps half the game missing from cartridge :

John : “How did they even manage this?!”

lol
You mean 720p 30 fps 99% of the time with the entire single player on card doom? What is it about the switch that causes it's detractors to obsessively lie?

Romulus

That was a section on lod transition, next frame the palm trees look exactly the same, dishonest cherry picking

You mean 720p 30 fps 99% of the time with the entire single player on card doom? What is it about the switch that causes it's detractors to obsessively lie?

What patch are you running? The last performance patch wasn't even close to locked 30fps. And this is a 60fps game

Fake

Cherry picking occurs from both sides mind you. There are pretty comparable scenes, while others look like crap.

Think about before posting screenshot saying NS is good.

That’s wrong, and i’ve been open in my appreciation for switch and its games. Doom can hit 540p docked and does often. Wolfenstein 2 - a terrible game anyway - can hit 360p docked combined with TAA is worse than any game’s image quality i’ve ever seen in my life.

Some of these ports aren’t worth the plastic they’re put on. Doom is one.

Last edited:
Wow the shit people type on gaf 🤣
Look, I don’t play switch on the toilet. So an inferior version is worthless to me.

Of course the bigger issue with doom is they didn’t put the whole game on the card which is like a cardinal sin for switch games.

Which is why witcher 3 on switch gets praise from me ; it’s the only complete physical copy of the game to this day. And it runs at same fps as ps4.

Spukc

Look, I don’t play switch on the toilet. So an inferior version is worthless to me.

Of course the bigger issue with doom is they didn’t put the whole game on the card which is like a cardinal sin for switch games.

Which is why witcher 3 on switch gets praise from me ; it’s the only complete physical copy of the game to this day. And it runs at same fps as ps4.
The only part that is not on the cart is the MP partition.

without online it would be pointless so in this case nobody cares really REALLY.

however when the actual game is locked..

Looking at you activision. That is a shitshow.

The only part that is not on the cart is the MP partition.

without online it would be pointless so in this case nobody cares really REALLY.

however when the actual game is locked..

Looking at you activision. That is a shitshow.
If that’s true that is OK. But still, doom is a pretty bad port in terms of what you get on a tv screen.

But yeah games like la noire or nba which require a download are just complete junk and I hate that it’s acceptable on switch.

Granted this problem isn’t exclusive to switch ; yes, looking at spyro trilogy first discs (second print which i have on ps4 is the full 3 games) which is activision.

Last edited:

Spukc

If that’s true that is OK. But still, doom is a pretty bad port in terms of what you get on a tv screen.

But yeah games like la noire or nba which require a download are just complete junk and I hate that it’s acceptable on switch.

Granted this problem isn’t exclusive to switch ; yes, looking at spyro trilogy first discs (second print which i have on ps4 is the full 3 games) which is activision.
Playing doom on switch on a big screen is terrible. Totally not the point imo.

when i put the ps5 version next to the switch docked it’s hilarious.. however.. i can’t think of any other handheld that runs doom. On 7 watts. It’s withcraft it runs.. can’t wait for the steamdeck

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member

when i put the ps5 version next to the switch docked it’s hilarious.. however.. i can’t think of any other handheld that runs doom. On 7 watts. It’s withcraft it runs.. can’t wait for the steamdeck
Doom 2016 on Switch has the same purpose as OG Doom on GBA. Are there better versions to play? Definitely, but it's still good enough to be enjoyable and it being portable makes it a worthwhile edition alongside the PC or console version

It’s not witchcraft it’s butchering fps, framerate and resolution. I’d call it witchcraft if it was 60fps. I’m not saying the handheld version is worthless, only docked. But to me on tv it is worthless

Witcher 3, going from 30fps to 30fps and keeping the same npc count is impressive.

Ok, graphics aside, I want to know how the controls are.
I hated how Dying light on ps4 relied on holding down the damn thumbstick to run, and you had to do it all the time.
This causes your sticks to break and eventually drift. It happened to me 2x on ps4. I can't imagine on the expensive drift prone joycons. Please tell me they changed the control options so you can run with holding down a shoulder button or something.

#2... What is the size of the cart? If its not a full physical release on a full cart like witcher 3 then its crap.
Otherwise impressive, but those other points are important too. Anyone know?

They hate that it's not a static console. Many people here and elsewhere equate portable with kiddie. Its ridiculous. They are graphic obssessed. As someone who starting gaming on a atari 2600.... the switch is impressive. I don't get the mobile platform hate. I loved 3ds/vita/psp... the switch is everything I wanted. PS360 visuals in handheld == yes please.

Spukc

Doom 2016 on Switch has the same purpose as OG Doom on GBA. Are there better versions to play? Definitely, but it's still good enough to be enjoyable and it being portable makes it a worthwhile edition alongside the PC or console version
You mentioning gba doom to me made me take my gba and cart and play a bit xD
That game supported coop mode too! 😱

Last edited:

Shifty1897

This looks really impressive on Switch, I might pick this up since I missed it the first time around.

Last edited:

Fake

Switch in handheld mode is 10 times less powerful than the base PS4! Around 0.17 vs 1.8 TFLOPS
To me its impressive even it runs at 540p@30fps

I guess the point is, as far as they're impressive, so much is lost at the point of 'is this even worthy?'

Doom 2016 running at 540p at 30 fps with some heavily downgrade is not something to be proud.

Witcher 3 in the other hand, as much there are compromisse over texture/resolution, runs at 30 fps on PS4 and Xbox just like NS so the impact is not that severe.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
They hate that it's not a static console. Many people here and elsewhere equate portable with kiddie. Its ridiculous. They are graphic obssessed. As someone who starting gaming on a atari 2600.... the switch is impressive. I don't get the mobile platform hate. I loved 3ds/vita/psp... the switch is everything I wanted. PS360 visuals in handheld == yes please.
That is definitely not the reason.

I guess the point is, as far as they're impressive, so much is lost at the point of 'is this even worthy?'

Doom 2016 running at 540p at 30 fps with some heavily downgrade is not something to be proud.

Witcher 3 in the other hand, as much there are compromisse over texture/resultion, PS4/Xbox run at 30 fps just like NS so the impact is not that severe.

I have just one critique for witcher 3 on switch, and that is they chose to add ambient occlusion over keeping the resolution at 720p (it’s 540p most times). Game looks reasonably comparable with ps4 other than the resolution sometimes. I mean, it is pretty blurry. If you look to the sky you can see just how much cleaner it would look (dynamic res). AO is nice but not the best choice when resolution is that low.

To be fair AO probably makes more sense in portable mode.

BUT hey it’s more than half a generation weaker hardware and the gameplay and world interaction is still identical.

Last edited:

Skifi28

"Amazing work optimizing for the switch, truly magic, but I wouldn't want to play it there"

What it usually boils down to.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I thought Doom & Wolfenstein looked pretty bad but this looks surprisingly good. I still wouldn't play it at 30fps though.

Barakov

Gold Member
This is a pretty impressive port. Not the way I'd choose to play it but it's nice for those that want it. Nintendo made the right choice to go with Nvidia.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The Nintendo Switch power is a mystery.

Imposible ports make it possible in Switch, But certain Games like A plague tale or Remothered are heavy ports

Hugare

This looks awesome, imo

Smart cutbacks like shadow resolution, drawn distance and etc. while still looking very similar to the original version.

720p in portable mode is surprising for a game like this. Looks really sharp for the Switch.

Dying Light is one of my favorite games of the generation. Having a portable version is just incredible.

People always miss the forrest for the trees by saying "why would anyone would play this version?" in every goddamn Switch port thread. Because its PORTABLE. Its obvious.

bender

What time is it?
Considering the Switch power consumption, these ports are always interesting. I still think Alien Isolation is the cream of the crop.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
The usual shitposts of ''Impossible ports? Not really, look what they did to it!''. People really can't understand the spirit in which is said (Namely, Switch being effectively mobile hardware) before jumping into comparisons.

It's always weird seeing footage of games you remember as running perfectly. I played Crysis 2 on the 360 back in the day and I don't remember it running so poorly, like 20 fps. I don't even remember caring about frame rate back then. Weird. The most memorable thing about Crysis 2 for me was the almost hub style running battles where the next bit of the level didn't open up until you killed all the enemies. It was a bit like doom 2016 in that way.
It definitely was exceptionally poor on PS360 (Played on X360). The thing is, the game logic runs as if it were cinematic, so you think it is on purpose, but no - Its really that the framerate is so poor. Things just run in slowmo instead of properly.

It still looked amazing for a PS360 release though. Crysis 3 was effectively a backport - Considering the PC was DX11 only, they had to recreate those effects on hardware that was not even functionally the equivalent - Hence, it runs at settings lower than PC low.

The PS4/XBO versions are thus exactly as expected and what would have been the performance if the game were released in 2013 for those platforms.
"Miracle".
''Shitpost''.

You aren't really raising any bars for setting the tone TLZ.
Crucified? They're all extremely mild mannered about everything they say lol.
In Hyperbolic world, people can't understand that DF is usually a tad more forgiving when it comes to Switch ports from more powerful hardware, versus PS4/XBO/PS5/XSX games. People call them apologists for it.

When really, its more that they understand what the Switch hardware is and take it into account that a vastly less performant piece of kit is running a game that never had the Switch hardware in mind when it was developed. That's why its called Impossible, Miracle, and so forth.
Eh, it looks like ass and runs like shit.
Hey look, someone who didn't watch the video but has an opinion! Runs like shit, haha. Looks like ass, haha. The core visual make up has been retained, and that is readily apparent. Its just that everything takes a hit, but 99% of effects/visuals are still there.
Incredible indeed.

q8I4IND.jpg
Hey cool, you have the Cherry Picking skill aswell! From a videograb, nonetheless! Clearly you have never seen an actual sub-par port (Daikatana Nintendo 64, anyone?).
Then why are you even here, in this thread, complaining that it looks terrible on the big screen? Everyone with a Nintendo Switch knows that the resolution is low on a TV, but that it looks wonders on the handheld screen. This has been known since 2017. So what are you trying to pull here?

Rob_27

So is this a physical release only in the UK ? I was going to grab it from the store but its not there...

Kacho

Gold Member
I’m really over all of these late third party ports with massive cutbacks. The novelty has worn off and at this point we need a hardware refresh.

Star-Lord

I’m really over all of these late third party ports with massive cutbacks. The novelty has worn off and at this point we need a hardware refresh.
You’re just the latest in a long line of members I’ve seen bitch and whinge about ports and remasters. Again, nobody is forcing you to buy the game, or even pay it any attention. If you’re not interested, fine, that’s your choice. But don’t try and shit over the enjoyment other people might get from the game.

Kacho

Gold Member
You’re just the latest in a long line of members I’ve seen bitch and whinge about ports and remasters. Again, nobody is forcing you to buy the game, or even pay it any attention. If you’re not interested, fine, that’s your choice. But don’t try and shit over the enjoyment other people might get from the game.
You're going to have live with other people sharing their opinions on things.

Redneckerz

No, stating your opinion, and especially his, is more important than that people feel anything positive about a port such as this.

Effectively his opinion weighs more than any shred of enjoyment people who aren't opinionating in this thread may have.

You're going to have live with other people sharing their opinions on things.
Opinions are like assholes, indeed. Everyone has one.

The quality of said asshole however, may differ.

I know from your answer yours carries a sunscreen because man, you deflectin'.

Thread is “another miracle port” not “switch users finally get dying light, let’s celebrate.”

When DF, including John says some outrageous things (which is often) I can and will comment on them.

If they didn’t parade every one of these ports as impossible and miraculous people wouldn’t comment as much. Sure, it’s good for those who want the game on switch.

Seems like some of you are a bit too attached to hardware to keep emotions out of this.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Thread is “another miracle port” not “switch users finally get dying light, let’s celebrate.”
You may want to ask yourself why its called a miracle port. The results may surprise you!

(You may also just say you don't like it when people find it impressive that ports from clearly superior hardware aren't your forte. This practice was far common in the past and the Switch seems to be the last bastion of doing this. You don't like it, big deal.)
When DF, including John says some outrageous things (which is often) I can and will comment on them.
I am sure your single point of resistance will be that much more effective than those folks who just enjoy watching DF.

And outrageous things, huh... Saying could've and might is outrageous, it seems.

Or it seems like you are a bit too attached at nitpicking and finding fault because after all, as a testing facility, DF surely should stick to the facts like automatons.
Seems like some of you are a bit too attached to hardware to keep emotions out of this.
When you know you have nothing substantial to back it up with, just say those who allude you are in the wrong. So adult.

I think the majora of us know the limitations of Switch and what its usecase is. Nintendo knows that aswell given the amount of Switches sold. But since you don't like reasonable explanations and you don't play Switch games on the toilet, (Or anywhere else for that matter???) whatever point you have falls flat very fast/

You may want to ask yourself why its called a miracle port. The results may surprise you!

(You may also just say you don't like it when people find it impressive that ports from clearly superior hardware aren't your forte. This practice was far common in the past and the Switch seems to be the last bastion of doing this. You don't like it, big deal.)

I am sure your single point of resistance will be that much more effective than those folks who just enjoy watching DF.

And outrageous things, huh... Saying could've and might is outrageous, it seems.

Or it seems like you are a bit too attached at nitpicking and finding fault because after all, as a testing facility, DF surely should stick to the facts like automatons.

When you know you have nothing substantial to back it up with, just say those who allude you are in the wrong. So adult.

I think the majora of us know the limitations of Switch and what its usecase is. Nintendo knows that aswell given the amount of Switches sold. But since you don't like reasonable explanations and you don't play Switch games on the toilet, (Or anywhere else for that matter???) whatever point you have falls flat very fast/
Doom on snes is a miracle.

Dying light, an unimpressive game at launch, running on nvidia maxwell graphics hardware is not. You are taking this as a personal insult, which is unhealthy to say the least. Anyone who pays slight attention to my posts knows I am a switch game fan, and enjoy the exclusives and worthwhile ports. I think we can leave it at that, and it's just a matter of me desiring more from the aging switch hardware from time to time. Most recently, I have been impressed at the 1080p60 port of cruis'n blast.

And to wrap it up, we are almost in 2022, so the shock value of an (greatly depreciated) switch port is not there for me. Witcher 3 showed us the pinnacle of switch conversions in terms of development difficulty.

If you want to continue saying i'm thread shitting a game in a technical thread discussing its technical impressiveness, you can go on the ignore list.

Redneckerz

Doom on snes is a miracle.
By your very tone setting, its worthless: Its not a fully textured world, its not even the actual Doom engine doing the rendering, and it runs unbelievably slow. Its garbage. *

*Oh wait no its not because its impressive seeing a raycaster of this magnitude run on SNES at all, using the Super-FX2.

Somehow you find it impressive that Doom can run on SNES, being made for hardware oodles amount faster than a SNES, but you are not impressed when a open world game, being made for hardware oodles amount faster than a Switch, not only runs on the Switch but retains most of the visual make up (as opposed to, say, Apex Legends) and does so at 30 FPS.

You had a point if it was the aforementioned Apex Legends. That game was cut back so significantly that it actually has effect on the playability (Trees are simply not rendered, so you can just spot players) and with the IOS/Android version actually looking better (But using a different engine), one can safely say that Apex Legends is a rough port. Similar to BLOPS 3 for PS360. (Which i actually own. It looks hideous compared to a XBO, as a MP-only title, it is alright.)
Dying light, an unimpressive game at launch,
Unimpressive, an open world game containing the parkour like Mirrors Edge mixed with Dead Island esque Zombies and it is unimpressive? There is a minority opinion in there.
You are taking this as a personal insult, which is unhealthy to say the least.
Hardly.
Anyone who pays slight attention to my posts knows I am a switch game fan, and enjoy the exclusives and worthwhile ports.
And yet somehow for a Switch fan you are off the cuff with the hyperbole you are giving this title.
I think we can leave it at that, and it's just a matter of me desiring more from the aging switch hardware from time to time. Most recently, I have been impressed at the 1080p60 port of cruis'n blast.

And to wrap it up, we are almost in 2022, so the shock value of an (greatly depreciated) switch port is not there for me. Witcher 3 showed us the pinnacle of switch conversions in terms of development difficulty.
That i can accept, so that leaves me only more puzzled why you are so divisive of Dying Light on Switch, to the point where your efforts to explain go into the very low effort territory.*

*I did notice you praising the Switch. I am not denying it, i am just contesting your statements on this port.

Top Bottom