• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Elden Ring Back-Compat - Xbox Series X Running One X Code Can't Hit 60FPS

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Meme Reaction GIF
The irony supreme is that a very well optimised game does not need VRR, so he is celebrating lack of optimisation on top 😂.

Fredrik

Sell some of those guitars or one of your kids and get a 48 inch LG CX.
lol not selling anything but I looked up the TV. Didn’t know gsync was a thing outside of PC monitors. Very interesting!
It’s too big for that desk though but I realize I should definitely start looking for an upgrade. A better screen/TV plus a comfy chair could get me in a better mood. I don’t want the PC in the living room though, way too noisy.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Oh? So when I said many developers can't seem to leverage the juice of the series x your only thought was to mention ghostrunner despite these face-offs quite often favoring ps5? Okay then. My mistake.
The XSX has a better GPU. Yeah you can make some arguments about the speed rating of the PS5s SoC vs XSX, but still ... the XSX has a better GPU basically.

And yes, a lot of this comes down to software craftsmanship. Which is where Sony currently shines. Their studios are firing on all cylinders, and that's the hurdle Xbox and their now large portfolio of first party studios need to overcome to match what Sony's output has been. Obviously they have talent in in places like Playground Games, but it will be awhile before they have the kind of technical excellence across the board the way Sony seems to. There is only so much talent in the industry and Sony has been obviously fostering their studio development for so long ... again, not a flip you can switch.

The point is these kinds of "gotchas" are just dumb. I don't understand the point of this thread (among some others that seem to be "gotchas" in the other direction). Sonys dev environment might be better and able to squeeze more juice out of the system easily. No I don't think MS is waiting on magical "tools", but again craftsmanship matters, and Sony has been doing a good job at this for a long time, while MS is constantly changing dev strategies it seems like. And yet things are still pretty close to neck and neck, which is what was predicted by a lot of us when these things were announced.

Point is .. both machines are fantastic. One isn't great while the other sucks. They are both fantastic. Can that sink in for everyone please? It just all comes down to how well the devs can execute. Some will be better than others. And the Xbox will continue to get killer exclusive games just as PS and the Switch will.

Amazing how From really couldn’t care less about the Xbox. That’s really sad tbh. There’s no reason to treat part of your userbase like that.
Yeah agreed. Not making excuses for this, but they probably assumed it wouldn’t sell well on XBOX, so they just ported it over without much optimization perhaps? The same reason Tekken 7 is still running at 720p on the One X for example.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Continually disappointed with the performance of this on XSX. It's particularly upsetting because it's becoming one of my favorite games ever and I would love to experience it at a locked 60 fps. More technically impressive games have done it, so it's a real head scratcher.

Every time I boot the game, I hope to see an update, but I know that's not likely to happen.

Chukhopops

I wonder what your tune is gonna change into once VRR is delivered on ps5. We all know you’re just championing this feature because it’s available only on Xbox.
You know tons of devices use variable refresh rate screens including watches, smartphones, laptops and of course computer monitors? And that those devices use it because it’s simply superior and more versatile than fixed refresh rates?

I think it's been said they've demanded the same/higher res before on other games.

It doesn't run great on PlayStation consoles, so not sure what you've been drinking.
Ah yes I've been drinking because I think it's ridiculous to blame MS for a game they didn't develop running inexcusably poorly on their system. Do you happen to have any proof of MS demanding higher resolutions in this game that just so happens to run at the exact same res on XSX and PS5? Your 'it's been said' statement isn't fantastic evidence.

I'm certain MS is also to blame for the game loading at similar speeds on PS4 and X Series consoles. 🙃 There is nothing wrong with simply acknowledging the reality that From took far more care developing this game on PlayStation over other platforms. The results are evident. To blame MS is absurd.

SLB1904

Banned
I like silky smooth gameplay, sue me :messenger_blowing_kiss:
Repeating a lie over and over doesn't make it true.
Just assume you got bamboozled by the social media warriors.
Where is your 2tf god now?
The better Ray tracing at least 40fps difference
What happened with the cus? I remember that was a buzzword you guys love it as well.
Now clinging into vrr aka gsync like its your savior 😆

Repeating a lie over and over doesn't make it true.
Just assume you got bamboozled by the social media warriors.
Where is your 2tf god now?
The better Ray tracing at least 40fps difference
What happened with the cus? I remember that was a buzzword you guys love it as well.
Now clinging into vrr aka gsync like its your savior 😆
I get it, you're still hurt from the 9 TF RDNA 1.5 FUD. Still doesn't change the fact that VRR is a godsend, especially in unoptimized games like Elden Ring.

Mr Moose

Ah yes I've been drinking because I think it's ridiculous to blame MS for a game they didn't develop running inexcusably poorly on their system. Do you happen to have any proof of MS demanding higher resolutions in this game that just so happens to run at the exact same res on XSX and PS5? Your 'it's been said' statement isn't fantastic evidence.

I'm certain MS is also to blame for the game loading at similar speeds on PS4 and X Series consoles. 🙃 There is nothing wrong with simply acknowledging the reality that From took far more care developing this game on PlayStation over other platforms. The results are evident. To blame MS is absurd.
"We did find it challenging early on to get it to 1080p. That's why we made the decision to drop to 900. That's what we demoed and were showing around E3 time. And Microsoft was just like, 'This is unacceptable. You need to figure out a way to get a better resolution.' So we worked with them directly, they gave us a code update to let us get to full 1080p."
+ Desiny.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Can’t believe being against VRR is even a console warrior defense point in 2022. I thought it was made abundantly clear since Gsync in (checks note), freaking 2014 that it’s the best solution for gaming with reduced tearing. 8 years we know it’s the best display tech to have.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can’t believe being against VRR is even a console warrior defense point in 2022. I thought it was made abundantly clear since Gsync in (checks note), freaking 2014 that it’s the best solution for gaming with reduced tearing. 8 years we know it’s the best display tech to have.

Amen.

Buying a VRR display to complement the new console was a great decision for me.

A bit of a shame that PS5 owners will only be able to utilize it via somewhat expensive TVs. Xbox owners have the additional benefit of being able to use much more reasonably priced Freesync displays to get the same effect.

SLB1904

Banned
no one is against vrr, the problem is there is a lot of misleading information being spread around, actually look at the post above mine.

adamsapple

do you think people would give up of 4k gaming for a freesync display just because of vrr?
lol

You realize 4K Freesync monitors exist right ?

I would know because I have one. My SX, PS4 Pro and PC are hooked up to a 32 '' 4K monitor with Freesync.

You don't *have* to post just for posting sake if it's just gonna be uninformed stuff.

Last edited:

adamsapple

i own one, and it wasnt cheap.

Sure, but compared to HDMI 2.1 TVs that aren't those chinese Hisense crap, it's cheaper.

Nothing in my post was misleading. Let's not start slandering other people because of other fundamental differences.

it's phenomenal. I read the posts about people bitching about performance on PC and PS5 and I really can't relate at all. the game is smooth as fuck on the xsx with VRR.

why the fuck doesn't Sony have VRR on the PS5? it seems like a no brainer. it's fucking amazing.

It's been a long time coming, once it finally goes live I expect a change in tone about it here lol.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Their biggest fanbase is on Steam, and that is probably the worst version of the game. Riddled with stuttering even on expensive GPUs. The game has already sold between 5-10 million on steam with almost a million concurrent users. They dont have anything against PC or Xbox owners. They just developed this game on PS first and then did a half ass job porting to PC and Xbox.

It has absolutely terrible performance on PS5 too, so I dunno. I guess it's even worse on Xbox and PC, but yeah, they are just not very skilled developers.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It has absolutely terrible performance on PS5 too, so I dunno. I guess it's even worse on Xbox and PC, but yeah, they are just not very skilled developers.
How is it worst on pc? Performance is definitely wayyyy better on pc for me than on ps5. Even with it in performance mode.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How is it worst on pc? Performance is definitely wayyyy better on pc for me than on ps5. Even with it in performance mode.

Well, the shader compilation freezes etc. PS5 doesn't have that at least. But it does drop to like 45fps in heavier fights, and never ever runs at a smooth 60. Ah well.

Top Bottom