• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Elden Ring Back-Compat - Xbox Series X Running One X Code Can't Hit 60FPS

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Ok i think we are being too harsh here, perhaps From have yet to receive the dev tools.

They set it to offline so SmartDelivery doesn't kick in.

What's Guardians of the Galaxy got to do with Elden Ring? :messenger_beaming:
I take it sarcasm is not your strong point. Listen to some here and the likes of MCG you can't play Xbox games offline, but never mind .

Overlooking that it's utter drivel from DF. No one buys a next gen PS V only to play the PS 4 version instead .

RafterXL

Who gives a shit? No one is playing this way. Luckily, those of us with modern tvs don't have to worry about playing last gen versions on our new console.

I mean, as much as people are trying to use this as a negative they actually restate what everyone with half a brain already knows:
However, while that silky-smooth 60fps feeling may be off the table, if you have access to a 4K screen supporting variable refresh rate (VRR), we contend that Series X offers the best console version of the game: the many dips below 60fps are mostly smoothed out by the game-changing display technology.

Can’t believe being against VRR is even a console warrior defense point in 2022. I thought it was made abundantly clear since Gsync in (checks note), freaking 2014 that it’s the best solution for gaming with reduced tearing. 8 years we know it’s the best display tech to have.
Brand slaves. People are willing to make themselves look like dumbasses over it. They'll all change their tune when the VRR patch hits the PS5.

sendit

This is a shock and totally unexpected. No one should support this. Hopefully From can get their act together and fully utilize the untapped potential of 12 TF.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Gotta love how a developers ineptitude is being passed off some sort of weakness of a console lol.

The first couple of pages are unbelievable.. 🤦‍♂️😂
Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

3liteDragon

This game is nowhere near a technical showcase & I don’t think making console hardware comparisons with an unoptimized mess of a game is the best idea right now.

Even if you DO have VRR, you have to deal with over three times as long loading on Series X.

The best way to play is the PS4 version on PS5. Period. Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert won't admit it, but he knows this.
Game already doesn't look very sharp at like 1600p native. 1800p CB should look way blurrier. I prefer XSX with VRR. Loading times are fine and really only relevant when you repeatedly die to a boss, where they're generally sub 10 seconds.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
PS4 pro version wins! Wooooooo

i made Hermione Granger spell caster for my PS4 pro build which I will dedicate time to once Jubei the samurai finishes his quest on PC. Hulk on Xbox will have to Wait. Hopefully they get patched sooner rather than later.

Game already doesn't look very sharp at like 1600p native. 1800p CB should look way blurrier. I prefer XSX with VRR. Loading times are fine and really only relevant when you repeatedly die to a boss, where they're generally sub 10 seconds.
It does not. the CBR used here is very good. In the DF article about Sekiro they praised it and said it looked very similar to X1X native 1800p.

Last edited:
My man, the tech has been around for a decade. I've been here that whole time and the only time it's been talked about this much has been the last 12 months. I wonder why.
No need to wonder. The tech has been only available on PC for the longest time. Then it slowly came to consoles with Xbox One, but back then basically nobody had a VRR TV. Now VRR TVs are getting more popular, and we have constant comparison threads between PS5 and XSX here. Of course VRR is gonna get brought up, especially in games which run like unoptimized turds.

Swift_Star

Banned
You know tons of devices use variable refresh rate screens including watches, smartphones, laptops and of course computer monitors? And that those devices use it because it’s simply superior and more versatile than fixed refresh rates?
So? You’re going to stop talking about VRR once that is rolled out on PS5 and you know it. Everyone knows it. Look at your profile pic ffs. 🤣

GHG

Gold Member
No need to wonder. The tech has been only available on PC for the longest time. Then it slowly came to consoles with Xbox One, but back then basically nobody had a VRR TV. Now VRR TVs are getting more popular, and we have constant comparison threads between PS5 and XSX here. Of course VRR is gonna get brought up, especially in games which run like unoptimized turds.

They are becoming more available, not necessarily more popular. In general 4k adoption still isn't as high as most people would think.

One would think that you guys would have been gaming on PC for the last decade since VRR is so important (along with performance in general) but alas...

It does not. the CBR used here is very good. In the DF article about Sekiro they praised it and said it looked very similar to X1X native 1800p.

It's one of the reasons I'm thinking of picking up Sekiro instead of RDR2. I heard that RDR2 CBR is pretty bad compared to what they used in Sekiro. Don't know if I'm willing to sacrifice IQ that much but there's always the PC/X1X version that I can get.

Anyways with Elden Ring i can pick up the PS4 version and just play it until they fix the PS5 one which is included with the PS4 copy if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: I don't have a VRR screen btw.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Is this a serious question?
Very much so, I am not a Soulsborne veteran and suck at almost everyone of them, however I still love the games and their lore.

I keep hearing different stories, some saying it's easier than usual games, some saying it's WAY harder, so it's a mixture of that and also not knowing if I can dedicate the presumed 90+ hours this game takes to complete, especially with many great releases coming thick and fast as well as my own irl commitments.

First world Problems I know.

Leyasu

Banned
The VRR wars heating up. Now everyone who talks about it is a shill too lol or should have been playing on PC because it has been there for a decade. Clowns

But, on the other side is it not some miracle fucking cure that magically creates extra frames. When playing games that are supposedly 120hz but have largish drops it is okay. But playing cyberpunk I can feel and see the drops.

Ultimately, VRR is a good feature that has unfortunately been weaponised in the pathetic console wars. I just want Sony to patch it in on the PS5 making one less point that can be used to derail and ruin threads.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They are becoming more available, not necessarily more popular. In general 4k adoption still isn't as high as most people would think.

One would think that you guys would have been gaming on PC for the last decade since VRR is so important (along with performance in general) but alas...

This is a straw-man argument, VRR enhancing the perceivable experience on console(s) is not the same as everyone should have bought gaming PCs instead.

Not everyone wants to get into PC gaming for whatever reason.

VRR is only a hot button topic here cause one of the two major next-gen console brands doesn't have support for it, which leads to the fanbase of that console lambasting it and other ones champion it.

Once it's available everywhere, at least this argument should finish.

Arioco

It's one of the reasons I'm thinking of picking up Sekiro instead of RDR2. I heard that RDR2 CBR is pretty bad compared to what they used in Sekiro. Don't know if I'm willing to sacrifice IQ that much but there's always the PC/X1X version that I can get.

Anyways with Elden Ring i can pick up the PS4 version and just play it until they fix the PS5 one which is included with the PS4 copy if I'm not mistaken.

That's exactly right. Red Dead Redemption looks very bad on Pro. At times arguably worse than the PS4 version which is plain 1080p. There are comparisons on YouTube and the results are very surprising to say the least.

On the other hand Sekiro looks very nice. It's a huge step forward compared to Bloodborne, whose image quality was terrible to be honest, I've always loved its art style but the aliasing and pixel crawling everywhere kind of ruin it for me.

The funny thing is that the native resolution of Rdr2 is actually higher than Sekiro (2160pCB vs 1800CB), but for some reason it doesn't work well for Rdr2.

Elden Ring seems to be a very clean game too, so no complaints in the IQ department. Performance on the other hand is a whole different thing, but let's be honest, From games' performance have always left a lot to be desired, even when the game is exclusive and they can focus on just one hardware. This time that they had to develop 9 versions it was bound to end badly. 😂

DavidGzz

The PS4 version running on PS5 is the only version of this that isn't a mess. Shame, because it's my new GOAT.

It is the GOAT, on my XSX on my CX display. No messes here baby boi. No need to settle for last gen fidelity and lesser foliage.

Once PS5 gets VRR, I'll buy the GOAT for a third time if they never fix the loading on XSX and the frames on PC.

Last edited:
This thread is a joke. 90% of people are here to console war rather than talk about what the actual findings were in the video.

This is down to the way the engine scales, it’s working to increase the visuals rather than maximise the frame rate in this scenario, which is really strange. Remembering that the PS4 Pro version is running at around 1800cb rather than native 4K of the One X version. This is likely some of the reason that the FPS is in the 30s on Series X.

This is nothing to do with raw power provided by the console itself, I’m not sure where anyone is pulling that information from.

Dane

Dunno how the fuck From managed to go backwards in performance, because with exception of Dark Souls 1, all their PC ports ran fine and DS3 on PS4 Pro and Xbox Series S|X FPS boost ran relatively well, but Sekiro was also a weird case where neither console got a Performance mode and the Xbox One X ran worse because it had a fixed much higher native resolution. Elden Ring however manages to be the worst case of FPS scaling since GTA SA/GTA IV, it runs fine on last generation 30 FPS cap, but it struggles to go above 45-55 fps on current one and lots of stutters on PC, and in that platform it still uses a 60 FPS cap which was already considered a low standard back in Sekiro.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Not to add more to the fuel, but for people downplaying VRR, here's just one more example.

Jason Oestreicher, who is a giant bomb video producer, talks about how moving from the PC version to Xbox on a TV with VRR improved his game play experience so much.

VRR is good, everyone should have VRR. Even Switch.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
The VRR wars heating up. Now everyone who talks about it is a shill too lol or should have been playing on PC because it has been there for a decade. Clowns

If it's so important then yeh, you've all had a decade to get your shit together and use it on PC. I don't see why it's controversial to state that, maybe I struck a nerve considering how your mates are suddenly obsessing over it. But yes, "clowns" indeed.

This is a straw-man argument, VRR enhancing the perceivable experience on console(s) is not the same as everyone should have bought gaming PCs instead.

Not everyone wants to get into PC gaming for whatever reason.

VRR is only a hot button topic here cause one of the two major next-gen console brands doesn't have support for it, which leads to the fanbase of that console lambasting it and other ones champion it.

Once it's available everywhere, at least this argument should finish.

Here are the facts:
  • PC gamers have been using it and enjoying it for a decade.
  • However despite that VRR's existence has not prevented PC gamers from seeking better performance with each new generation of CPU's and GPU's.
  • Nor has it stopped or prevented the pursuit of honest and factual benchmarking. Show me a review (from a reputable outlet) for a GPU or CPU where less or poor performance is brushed off with "but VRR".
  • VRR exists to help smoothen the experience when there are minor and infrequent drops in framerate - it does not exist to smoothen out sharp drops or wildly inconsistent framerates.
  • Hence PC gamers still seek out optimisation where possible - hence games with good graphics options that actually scale are widely praised - this allows people to get stability at a particular target framerate. You will not see people just haphazardly cranking up resolution and settings and then hoping VRR will work miracles.
Beyond this, considering console only gamers are only just discovering and understanding this tech, not everyone has a VRR capable display. Even if someone is buying a new 4k TV today, not every 4k TV has it. If you have a TV that wasn't purchased in the last 12-18 months you most likely don't have it. So unless you're going to tell me every new console comes with a VRR TV then it's not something that can be universally considered (unlike raw performance, which can be universally considered).

So in summary, VRR is not new. Those of us who have used it before the advent of HDMI 2.1 understand it's benefits and what it's capable of.

Jason Oestreicher, who is a giant bomb video producer, talks about how moving from the PC version to Xbox on a TV with VRR improved his game play experience so much.

And this is a prime example. Because the drops on PC are so severe, even VRR is not helpful. In an ideal world where the PC version doesn't have the severe stutters and hangs then this doesn't happen. Or are you going to tell me that even if the PC version didn't have the ridiculous issues that it has then the Series X version is still a better overall experience?

Last edited:

adamsapple

And this is a prime example. Because the drops on PC are so severe, even VRR is not helpful. In an ideal world where the PC version doesn't have the severe stutters and hangs then this doesn't happen.

In an ideal world a game that runs like dogshit, for the lack of a better word, also shouldn't get 97% aggregate reviews.

but here we are :p

So in summary, VRR is not new. Those of us who have used it before the advent of HDMI 2.1 understand it's benefits and what it's capable of.

Good, and now that it's becoming more common in consoles, it's also becoming more accessible to a wider/broader gaming market. Ain't nothing wrong with that if it wasn't the first.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Good, and now that it's becoming more common in consoles, it's also becoming more accessible to a wider/broader gaming market. Ain't nothing wrong with that if it wasn't the first.

Never said there was anything wrong with it but hey, maybe once every console has it then maybe the benefits will go back to being a footnote rather than being an overstated highlight.

Leyasu

Banned
If it's so important then yeh, you've all had a decade to get your shit together and use it on PC. I don't see why it's controversial to state that, maybe I struck a nerve considering how your mates are suddenly obsessing over it. But yes, "clowns" indeed.

Here are the facts:
  • PC gamers have been using it and enjoying it for a decade.
  • However despite that VRR's existence has not prevented PC gamers from seeking better performance with each new generation of CPU's and GPU's.
  • Nor has it stopped or prevented the pursuit of honest and factual benchmarking. Show me a review (from a reputable outlet) for a GPU or CPU where less or poor performance is brushed off with "but VRR".
  • VRR exists to help smoothen the experience when there are minor and infrequent drops in framerate - it does not exist to smoothen out sharp drops or wildly inconsistent framerates.
  • Hence PC gamers still seek out optimisation where possible - hence games with good graphics options that actually scale are widely praised - this allows people to get stability at a particular target framerate. You will not see people just haphazardly cranking up resolution and settings and then hoping VRR will work miracles.
Beyond this, considering console only gamers are only just discovering and understanding this tech, not everyone has a VRR capable display. Even if someone is buying a new 4k TV today, not every 4k TV has it. If you have a TV that wasn't purchased in the last 12-18 months you most likely don't have it. So unless you're going to tell me every new console comes with a VRR TV then it's not something that can be universally considered (unlike raw performance, which can be universally considered).

And this is a prime example. Because the drops on PC are so severe, even VRR is not helpful. In an ideal world where the PC version doesn't have the severe stutters and hangs then this doesn't happen. Or are you going to tell me that even if the PC version didn't have the ridiculous issues that it has then the Series X version is still a better overall experience?
You completely ignored what I wrote to other team regarding vrr. Also, you are arguing with console players that obviously don’t game on pc. What the fuck Joe

Riky

$MSFT
This thread is a joke. 90% of people are here to console war rather than talk about what the actual findings were in the video.

This is down to the way the engine scales, it’s working to increase the visuals rather than maximise the frame rate in this scenario, which is really strange. Remembering that the PS4 Pro version is running at around 1800cb rather than native 4K of the One X version. This is likely some of the reason that the FPS is in the 30s on Series X.

This is nothing to do with raw power provided by the console itself, I’m not sure where anyone is pulling that information from.

It's quite bizarre that the engine goes well beyond the X1X version and starts pushing 4k with higher settings. Makes you think the Xbox version is just one set of code and scales to the GPU load constantly, they didn't actually optimise it at all.
I can't think of any other X1X game that does this on Series X without being patched or having FPS boost compatibility.

It's quite bizarre that the engine goes well beyond the X1X version and starts pushing 4k with higher settings. Makes you think the Xbox version is just one set of code and scales to the GPU load constantly, they didn't actually optimise it at all.
I can't think of any other X1X game that does this on Series X without being patched or having FPS boost compatibility.
Yep, From being needlessly weird again with their choices. Every other game targets frame rates, but they target... god knows what :messenger_beaming:

ZehDon

My man, the tech has been around for a decade. I've been here that whole time and the only time it's been talked about this much has been the last 12 months. I wonder why.
We've had plenty of threads on GSYNC in particular - heralded as a "god-tier" upgrade. VRR is a massive upgrade, and I recommend everyone getting on that bandwagon if they haven't already.

To address the obvious: we're likely seeing VRR talked about more now because it's no longer the exclusive realm of the expensive PC enthusiast market. This isn't some console warning "gotcha", it's simple numbers. High quality Freesync-supported monitors are readily available and very cheap, and a mainstream console now supports VRR. Add the two together and it means more people than ever have access to the technology. Hence, it being talked about more. Plug your Xbox Series X into a half-decent monitor and you're off to the VRR races. When the PS5 adds support for the feature, I suspect we'll see another solid uptick in the discussion - not because "muh console war", but because more people will simply be using it.

Yep. This is the way to do. Once PS5 has VRR, PS5 will be the definitive version. But I'd say PS4 locked 60fps is still better than XSX ~40fps + VRR

Top Bottom