• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring Beta: PS4 vs PS4 vs Xbox One/X Tested - What's The State of Last-Gen?

3liteDragon

As a cross-gen title Elden Ring's tech must scale to seven platforms - an unprecedented number that includes base Xbox One as its minimum spec. How does such a vast game world translate visually though? Equally, can the PS4 Pro and One X deliver a locked frame-rate, or is it swinging between 30 and 60fps? Tom returns for a second round of Elden Ring testing to find out.

Lone Wolf

Last gen needs to be dropped. Base Xbox one is atrocious.
If this keeps up I’ll buy on PS5 and not Series X. It’s obvious this game is priority on PlayStation. Also One X frame rate and loading are terrible.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Maybe they'll learn how to do proper frame pacing by the time Dark Souls 7 comes out. I just can't be bothered with this kind of thing anymore, I just avoid games with constant frame pacing issues.

This didn't used to be as big a problem in the past as it is now. They need to fix this when they are making games that require split second timing.

-edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

The game just massively favors Playstation, no matter the console. Makes the other thread look a bit clownish in hindsight 🤭
Definitely clear that Fromsoftware is giving the Playstation versions more attention and optimization time than the Xbox versions....

PS.The result of the loading times is definitely enlightening .... Either that or PS4 and PRo have SSD and nobody knew that LOL

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

PS4 vs PS4​

- I wonder who will win.
Edit: Beaten
71390281.jpg

M1chl

The game just massively favors Playstation, no matter the console. Makes the other thread look a bit clownish in hindsight 🤭
Isn't Phyre engine always better on Playstation consoles, after all it was Sony who developed it. Codemasters forked it and made the OG Ego engine which, if I am not wrong, also better on PS platforms.

Make games run well or don't release them. You clowns(seems to be the word of the thread) care about what's running better and not that it runs like shit.

M1chl

MS should send their commando and help them optimize, especially when they have some marketing deal. Because if I am not wrong, they show the first trailer and so on...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yikes, that XB1 version is not looking hot.

Although that foliage is seriously pathetic on all last gen consoles considering what we've seen in other open world games on the same hardware.

And why does From never fix the broken framepacing in their shitty engine? Are they that incompetent, or do they just not care? The unlocked framerate on the pro consoles is also a mess.

Darsxx82

CB vs native, same as Sekiro, and most of other midgen enhanced games. There is no any platform prioritization, both work like expected from them.
XBO X in Elder Ring is running at a lower average resolution and worse framerate than Sekiro did compared to the Pro version.
Not to mention the unfortunate situation when it comes to loading times that is significant about which platform has been given extra attention. Not to mention the XBO version disaster...

Not seeing that PS plataforms goes one step ahead in optimization (at least in this beta network) is wanting to deny the evidence.

MS should send their commando and help them optimize, especially when they have some marketing deal. Because if I am not wrong, they show the first trailer and so on...

The first teaser trailer was presented at an Xbox event, but from there it has been to cross-platform events and Playstation events.
In fact, in the marketing of the game, the PS5 / 4 box is usually in front.

Of course it is not the typical game where it is clear which is the base marketing platform.

Last edited:

eNT1TY

A little ole thing like performance and graphic fidelity never stopped a From Software fan from purchasing their game. Thems the breaks. Git gud or watch load screens, there is no grass to distract you.

Zathalus

PS4 Pro is using Checkerboard rendering Xbox One X isn't
Even so, the difference is only 40% in terms of pixel count. So the XOX version should run at around the same FPS as the PS4 Pro version (or even higher due to the memory bandwidth advantage). This massive FPS difference should just not really occur between the respective consoles. It's clearly not optimized at all for Xbox.

Even the loading times on the XOX is twice that of the PS4 Pro, despite having the more powerful CPU.

Last edited:
Even so, the difference is only 40% in terms of pixel count. So the XOX version should run at around the same FPS as the PS4 Pro version (or even higher due to the memory bandwidth advantage). This massive FPS difference should just not really occur between the respective consoles. It's clearly not optimized at all for Xbox.

Even the loading times on the XOX is twice that of the PS4 Pro, despite having the more powerful CPU.
Exactly. There is no reason for the X1X performance issues here. This is not like the PS5 and XSX that are similar in specs. The X1X has more memory and an undeniably stronger CPU AND GPU yet amazingly the PS4 Pro just to happens to have a significant performance advantage. It goes to show that not matter how good the hardware is nothing trumps software optimization. It makes sense for From to focus on the platform with the higher installed base I suppose.

onQ123

Exactly. There is no reason for the X1X performance issues here. This is not like the PS5 and XSX that are similar in specs. The X1X has more memory and an undeniably stronger CPU AND GPU yet amazingly the PS4 Pro just to happens to have a significant performance advantage. It goes to show that not matter how good the hardware is nothing trumps software optimization. It makes sense for From to focus on the platform with the higher installed base I suppose.

Double rate fp16 Baby!

S0ULZB0URNE

The game isn't finished and is a cross gen title.
If it was finished and didn't support old tech, maybe we would see differences based on both techs strengths and weaknesses.

Nope, all Xbox consoles are underperforming. The game is clearly optimized for Playstation.
No, PS4 performs as it should against XB1, we have seen worse on XB1, and Pro uses reconstruction while X1X has a native resolution. I'd say those consoles perform as they should considering their specs.

The only console that is underperforming (compared to its specs or PS5) is XSX.

Last edited:
The game isn't finished and is a cross gen title.
If it was finished and didn't support old tech, maybe we would see differences based on both techs strengths and weaknesses.
I agree that it isn't finished but since it's a last gen title as you say it should be running far better on the most powerful hardware last generation. It is not. I doubt From will do much to use the strengths of any Xbox platform. I suppose we'll see.

skit_data

Looks like performance is pretty similar to DS3.

I’m mostly curious how they couldn’t get more out of both PS5 and Series X considering it runs pretty well on PS4 at least.

Top Bottom