• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring Beta: PS5/ Xbox Series X/S First Look - Quality vs Performance Modes Tested

Clutching at straws?
What? I was asking a genuine question, but it's okay I looked up an answer myself and it appears to have enhanced BC for the current-gen systems, just not a native build for the new consoles.

Which, yes, is a point of distinction that should be specified because some people are running wild with technical conclusions that have no bearing for context and aren't taking some important factors into account.

Darsxx82

Nah, this game was built for last-gen consoles with HDDs, it's definitely not streaming data at such a rate that it would have any effect on the relative performance of the new consoles (the new-gen versions having denser foliage etc isn't really relevant here). And even if that WAS the case, it would manifest as stuttering when loading new areas when moving fast, not lower performance in battle sequences and such. And in fact we're seeing the opposite: XSX has a slight performance edge when traversing the world on horseback.

So no.

That's how it is. An argument without basis and nonsense as you say.

It is hilarious. Only part of the nonsense and baseless narrative that is different and adjusted to the case each time.

Calling this Elder, oldgen game and for HDD, "geometrically advanced" is utter nonsense. Going to say that PS5 wins in the most advanced games and XSX in the less demanding is a comedy.

We have a good amount of more technologically demanding games, with different engines and technologies where is a tie or XSX has had a better version and it is as if he believe that people do not remember them ...

The reality is that these are consoles so similar in everything and very equal in power that cases where one comes out better than another has more to do with specific circumstances outside the capabilities of the hardware. Being the base platform, experience with tools, software problems, more optimization time ..... Any of these circumstances dictate more than the hardware differences between machines that coincide in architecture and technology by 98%.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Desperation. The news has been all Xbox lately and will be through the end of the year. PlayStation has zero going on, so they have to scrape the barrel for whatever sludge they can find.
Complaining Reservoir Dogs GIF

tommib

What? I was asking a genuine question, but it's okay I looked up an answer myself and it appears to have enhanced BC for the current-gen systems, just not a native build for the new consoles.

Which, yes, is a point of distinction that should be specified because some people are running wild with technical conclusions that have no bearing for context and aren't taking some important factors into account.
There’s a ray-tracing mode coming for next-gen and corresponding PS5 and Series builds. You can still run PS4 build on PS5.

Haggard

Banned
Looks like From will put out another game with terribly inconsistent framerates and framepacing. They really need to hire some core tech people.
Their design team is already top notch, but their engine is atrocious.....

Thank god it`s coming to PC.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Looks like From will put out another game with terribly inconsistent framerates and framepacing. They really need to hire some core tech people.
Their design team is already top notch, but their engine is atrocious.....

Thank god it`s coming to PC.
The "Closed Network Test" is a gold build of the game?🤭

skneogaf

It's quite interesting to see playstation fanatics cheering for the ps5 version beating the series x version. I played the network test on the ps5 and the performance was that bad it affected my rolling and parrying.

Im more than confident performance will be at least acceptable on all consoles.

The game is a beta build so I wouldn't gloat incase results are reversed on launch.

It's quite interesting to see playstation fanatics cheering for the ps5 version beating the series x version. I played the network test on the ps5 and the performance was that bad it affected my rolling and parrying.

The game is a beta build so I wouldn't gloat incase results are reversed on launch.

Sony always wins baby

ethomaz

Banned
Where is this confidence coming? Because even the exclusives From games didn’t have better performance.

Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls II, Bloodborne, Dark Souls III and Sekiro all have the same performance issues.

Is From using a new engine? If not then I’m confident the performance won’t be acceptable due their track record.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Why are you getting so wound up?

Because a game is currently performing better on a console you dislike?

It's a beta.
Probably waiting to post another "GAF is church of Sony" comment.

I think too many people bought into last year's marketing when all the evidence pointed toward similar performance from the two main consoles - just picking out higher numbers like people did back in the day (64-bit is better than 32-bit) is far too simplistic an analysis.

I think too many people bought into last year's marketing

I think it's more due to the FUD generated in that next gen speculation thread more than anything else. If I recall correctly Microsoft never marketed the XSX as being a lot more powerful than the PS5. That was mostly due to those individuals that spun the GitHub leak to mean that. The sensible ones looking at that leak never made those claims.

ethomaz

Banned

lol you cleary didn’t look at anything.

It is native.

Hezekiah

Banned
I think it's more due to the FUD generated in that next gen speculation thread more than anything else. If I recall correctly Microsoft never marketed the XSX as being a lot more powerful than the PS5. That was mostly due to those individuals that spun the GitHub leak to mean that. The sensible ones looking at that leak never made those claims.
They certainly had the most powerful console advertising which they quickly changed.

But there were also 'influencers' like Colt Eastwood who strongly pushed that narrative, and even that dude at the Guardian was hinting at it. And then yeah, the Reddit threads...

As far as the game goes, as long as the frame rate is more stable than Bloodborne that will be a win. There will be some good artwork I'm sure, however this game looks like crap from a graphical standpoint which is a disappointment....

MonarchJT

Banned
so another game by from soft who doesn't know about optimization? geez because they don't hire competent people by now they should have the money

MonarchJT

Banned
They certainly had the most powerful console advertising which they quickly changed.

But there were also 'influencers' like Colt Eastwood who strongly pushed that narrative, and even that dude at the Guardian was hinting at it. And then yeah, the Reddit threads...

As far as the game goes, as long as the frame rate is more stable than Bloodborne that will be a win. There will be some good artwork I'm sure, however this game looks like crap from a graphical standpoint which is a disappointment....
because I'm sure that this game is a valid yardstick of performance ahahaahha

Oh yes I remember TimDog posting here. He really did say some crazy things and even lied about his interactions with the mods here. While those individuals don't represent the majority of gamers there are certainly many of them that are like that. Heck the blue guy was ridiculous and it's crazy that some used him as a source here.

ethomaz

Banned
Are you sure about that?

Let’s not forget that page https://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoles/xbox-series-x was stealthy edited to remove some little words:

EoPIaDEWMAAkYUF

BTW you can see the original version in WayBackMachine/WebArchiver but the picture tells the message better…

Imagine… all FUD lol

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Are you sure about that?

Let’s not forget that page https://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoles/xbox-series-x was stealthy edited to remove some little words:

EoPIaDEWMAAkYUF

BTW you can see the original version in WayBackMachine/WebArchiver but the picture tells the message better…

Imagine… all FUD lol

guys are you (the usuals) really doing this ? you know this will hit u hard like a boomerang right ? you are doing console war basically waiting for someone to tell you that this is just an inability (known for decades) of the development team

ethomaz

Banned
guys are you (the usuals) really doing this ? you know this will hit u hard like a boomerang right ? you are doing console war basically waiting for someone to tell you that this is just an inability (known for decades) of the development team
No.
The guy said it was just FUD created in the Console Tech thread…

I just showed facts.

You can’t be that obtuse to try to blame me for the own MS PR words lol that is really a new level of shameless lol

I mean why show what MS really posted hurts you that much? 🤔

Last edited:
No.
The guy said it was just FUD created in the Console Tech thread.

I just showed facts.

You can’t be that obtuse to try to blame me for the own MS PR words lol that is really a new level of shameless lol

The FUD I'm referring to is all those rumors that made it seem like the XSX would be a lot more powerful than the PS5. Microsoft never said that in their marketing only that it was the most powerful console.

Hopefully that clears things up.

The ones who were hyping the XSX as being a lot more powerful are the only ones getting hurt here. The two are similar with each system having it's strengths and weaknesses. There's nothing wrong with that.

You didn't fall for the FUD right?

I'll admit I was worried that there might be a huge difference between the two but I'm happy that my beliefs were proven wrong.

Last edited:

tommib

The FUD I'm referring to is all those rumors that made it seem like the XSX would be a lot more powerful than the PS5. Microsoft never said that in their marketing only that it was the most powerful console.

The ones who were hyping the XSX as being a lot more powerful are the only ones getting hurt here. The two are similar with each system having it's strengths and weaknesses. There's nothing wrong with that.

You didn't fall for the FUD right?

I'll admit I was worried that there might be a huge difference between the two but I'm happy that my beliefs were proven wrong.
KpVahfV.png
uxbpa5a.png

Last edited:

skit_data

I think one of the worst offenders pre-launch would be Tom Warren, he was on a outright smear campaign regarding the PS5.

He suggested it would downclock to 9 TFLOPs based on absolutely nothing, suggested glitches in AC Valhalla was due to the ”overclocked GPU of the PS5” and so on.

skit_data

Well, to stay on topic;

I really hope the performance will be improved in the release version. If it doesn’t change, I might resort to using the PS4 Pro BC mode to get a decent 60fps experience.

From may not be the absolute best when it comes to solid performance but they have a history of actually fixing some of the issues stuff post launch(Bloodbornes memory leak and insufferable loading times comes to mind).
Hopefully they either fix it or simply drop the res in Performance mode and put a 30fps cap on the Quality mode.

MonarchJT

Banned
No.
The guy said it was just FUD created in the Console Tech thread…

I just showed facts.

ethomaz I'll explain this and then stop with this the series x is objectively more powerful than the PS5. All those flops are of course theorical ... we could go on days and days on when then in the real world it is easier to reach the use of certain flops on one or the other console and given the gigahertz diff of the two consoles I am 100% sure that the PS5 is much easier to reach the performance target. But don't confuse this with the hardware difference of the two consoles. And again...please taking a game developed by from software as a measure of the performance of a system is the most stupid and misleading thing that can exist. And if you think the game runs better on the PS5 due to its hardware or you are naive or you are deliberately being dull.

Let's stay on topic

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Well, to stay on topic;

I really hope the performance will be improved in the release version. If it doesn’t change, I might resort to using the PS4 Pro BC mode to get a decent 60fps experience.

From may not be the absolute best when it comes to solid performance but they have a history of actually fixing some of the issues stuff post launch(Bloodbornes memory leak and insufferable loading times comes to mind).
Hopefully they either fix it or simply drop the res in Performance mode and put a 30fps cap on the Quality mode.
Quality Mode is already capped at 30fps but the frame pacing is bad just like all previous Souls like games from From.

Durante (if I’m not wrong) said it was an Engine issue… he basically fixed most Soul’s games frame pacing issues in PC.

Last edited:

skit_data

Quality Mode is already capped at 30fps but the frame pacing is bad just like all previous Souls like games from From.

Durante (if I’m not wrong) said it was an Engine issue… he basically fixed most Soul’s games frame pacing issues in PC.
No, its uncapped, at least in this test.

It simply locks the res at 2160p and lets the framerate go haywire in between 35-50fps on both consoles. One would expect a framerate cap in this mode but for some reason its not enabled.

It’s possible it might have frame pacing issues on top of that but the main problem is them locking it to render at 4k and not putting a 30fps cap.

Top Bottom