• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring performance: what to expect on PS5, Series X/S and PC

fart town usa

Gold Member
I tell you something, the loading times on Series X just dont make any sense. I did a test by moving my install to an old SATA samsung evo 860 drive in my pc and it still loads in like 4-6 seconds tops. Super fast. Went and played on the xbox and I was like, how is this like twice as long. They need to patch the xbox version its not great for loading, obviously its not terrible but when Im now used to super fast PC loading its pretty poo.

Not played the PS4 version properly yet.
Base PS4 (slim) is fine for me, the above graph seems right, 18 seconds. My eyes aren't attuned to 60fps/30fps but it's still a good experience at 30fps, not sure if it maintains that throughout though. It honestly just feels/plays like the other Souls games I've played on Sony consoles (not counting Demon's Souls remake).

Last edited:

Vognerful

So guys, if I had rtx 2060 super, do I get the game on my XSX or PC? I know PC can get mod support later on, but I am feeling allured by a physical copy

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
But pcs can use vrr too

True true, I meant in relation to a 2060 and the user seems like they're leaning towards a physical copy.

Does the PC version have DLSS ? If yes, then that should make it even more alluring.

Last edited:

Boneless

Bruh we've seen numerous reports and videos from DF and such showing the PC version sucks even on 20xx and 30xx series cards.

From has the faulty tools in this particular scenario.

It doesn't 'suck'. It does have a few rare stutters. I have a 100 hour on my 3080 and the game plays super smooth. There are just some people that think a couple of stutters in tens of hours of gameplay is unacceptable.

Majukun

It doesn't 'suck'. It does have a few rare stutters. I have a 100 hour on my 3080 and the game plays super smooth. There are just some people that think a couple of stutters in tens of hours of gameplay is unacceptable.
the stutters are not "rare" at all depending on how unlucky you are with your configuration.

please don't talk about what you don't know

Skifi28

Where 's your proof?
HesBZbD.jpg

S0ULZB0URNE

The performance uptick on Series consoles that we recently had makes a big difference even though it's only about 8%, pulls the game constantly into the VRR range in the areas I've played, I even tried Series S and that also runs nice and smoothly now.
When did the series consoles get a "performance uptick"

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Pc version is streamed by thousands of people all day every day on twitch. The stutters are there but they are minor for 99 percent of people and if you have g sync or freesync you don't see them. I've got over 200 hours in the game and always watching people stream it with little to no issues.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Pc version is streamed by thousands of people all day every day on twitch. The stutters are there but they are minor for 99 percent of people and if you have g sync or freesync you don't see them. I've got over 200 hours in the game and always watching people stream it with little to no issues.
Sssssssssssshhhh. It's garbage, not the best experience. Intel and Nvidia are doomed and AMD will survive only providing APUs to consoles.

nkarafo

Pc version is streamed by thousands of people all day every day on twitch. The stutters are there but they are minor for 99 percent of people and if you have g sync or freesync you don't see them.
I have a 240hz gsync monitor and i can clearly see them.

There are all kinds of stutters. Microstutters, bigger stutters when new areas are loaded while exploring and some annoying (but rare) ones where your game freezes and then goes in fast forward to compensate.

I see all of them.

I understand my PC isn't really high-end but it's perfectly capable or running of Dark Souls 3/Sekiro at 60fps with no stutters. I'm not asking for Elden Ring to have the same performance so i locked it at 40fps/1080p (40fps fit in 240hz). But i still see all these stutters no matter what.

Last edited:

sendit

I have a 240hz gsync monitor and i can clearly see them.

There are all kinds of stutters. Microstutters, bigger stutters when new areas are loaded while exploring and some annoying (but rare) ones where your game freezes and then goes in fast forward to compensate.

I see all of them.

I understand my PC isn't really high-end but it's perfectly capable or running of Dark Souls 3/Sekiro at 60fps with no stutters. I'm not asking for Elden Ring to have the same performance so i locked it at 40fps/1080p (40fps fit in 240hz). But i still see all these stutters no matter what.
Elden Ring takes it to the next level of the famed Souls engine. Every inch of detail is kicked up a notch. For example, the optimized process loads the players horse and character model at once. Simply an amazing feat of engineering.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The performance uptick on Series consoles that we recently had makes a big difference even though it's only about 8%, pulls the game constantly into the VRR range in the areas I've played, I even tried Series S and that also runs nice and smoothly now.

Even before the patch, based on VGTech's launch coverage, the lowest drop they note on both PS5 and SX is 42 and on Series S 40. So it was within the Xbox VRR range.

The patches just make it somewhat better so there's even less chance of reaching the lower end.

Last edited:
What I'd like to know: where are all the gaming media outlets and Digital Foundry making a big deal about the bad console performance? DF had a special video signaling out the "unacceptable PC performance" but not for the next gen consoles.

Well 2 months after launch and the game performs like absolute ass on my ps5. Whereas Fromsoft has largely improved the high end PC and even made public statements recognizing their need "to fix the PC".

If you go on Reddit and look up threads about the performance you will see more people saying that the "performance is fine" on their ps5/series x. The media perpetuates the mindset that console doesn't deserve better performance despite these new systems being better than probably 2/3rds of PCs. As evidenced by all the posts from people who can't even tell when a game has stuttering, console owners still are the plebs they said we were. But it's not helping these people to have a little self respect when the media isn't on our side in putting pressure on developers.

Barakov

Can confirm this. My PC would hang around low 50s/high 40s in limgrave but now it's mostly locked at 60. The stutters are still there but they're quite less frequent.

akimbo009

Gold Member
Hate to bump, but couldn't find an answer elsewhere...

Just got ER, but HDR is not enabled and the button to do so is grayed out. HDR works for everything else. I have an SX and LG OLED - anyone else have this problem and fixed it?

Hate to bump, but couldn't find an answer elsewhere...

Just got ER, but HDR is not enabled and the button to do so is grayed out. HDR works for everything else. I have an SX and LG OLED - anyone else have this problem and fixed it?
I have that happen from time to time on Xbox. It's not an Elden Ring issue. Happened on my One X and still happens with SX. Just close out the game and restart it. Should work if it doesn't turn off the Xbox and restart.

akimbo009

Gold Member
I have that happen from time to time on Xbox. It's not an Elden Ring issue. Happened on my One X and still happens with SX. Just close out the game and restart it. Should work if it doesn't turn off the Xbox and restart.

You sure it's only Xbox? Seems a lot of folks - including PC - have the issue.

Did that, and no love :(

Guess I'll just keep playing until it magically works :) (least of my worries, since I'm getting killed constantly and HDR ain't gonna save my ass).

NT80

I started playing again this last week on PC. I had a quick dabble with it when it first came out but the performance now seems quite a lot better than it was.
I got max settings at 4K and so far it's around the 60fps mark most of the time. It looks really good for an open world game.

Last edited:

Woggleman

I am near the end on my PS5 and I don't get the complaints about performance issues. It runs fine to me and I even compared it against the PS4 version since you get both when you buy it digitally.

let's be real.. From is shite. They got bloodborne running at a decent 30... but with crazy frame timing problems.

Now this game has always ran like shit

Top Bottom