• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring performance: what to expect on PS5, Series X/S and PC

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looks like John prefers the Series X/S due to VRR support:

HFp1Eq9.gif

Hunnybun

Lol I can just about understand a badly performing quality mode for people who want visuals above all else, but wtf is the point of a PERFORMANCE mode that doesn't hit 60fps? Who would want that?? Just lower the settings until you get 60fps!

Fromsoft must be one of the most technically incompetent studios in the world.

DJ12

Lol I can just about understand a badly performing quality mode for people who want visuals above all else, but wtf is the point of a PERFORMANCE mode that doesn't hit 60fps? Who would want that?? Just lower the settings until you get 60fps!

Fromsoft must be one of the most technically incompetent studios in the world.
Apparently it does hit 60, you just have to walk around everywhere looking at the floor 🙄

Jennings

Breath of the Wild was a phenomenal experience at 30fps, and Elden Ring sounds like it's gonna nail the experience too. Can't wait to get my hands on this. Based on performance previews my Xbox One X will serve me quite well.

Let's gooo!

Last edited:

adamsapple

On PS5 you can run the PS4 version, is it possible to run the Xbox One X version on Series X by installing via the disc offline ?

Has anyone been able to verify this ?

adamsapple

No. It will download the XSX version.

Depends. A lot of games these days arent even on the disc

Right, I asked because I think it was Jawmuncher over on Era who said that they managed to get the Xbox One version of RE Village working via installing from the disc keeping the console offline.

Was wondering if something like that is happening here. Cause the discs contain the XBO versions of games IIRC and you have to download the Series assembled version after inserting the disc.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
DF on Series X VRR Support.

Xbox Series X is greatly improved by its system-level support for variable refresh rate (VRR) if you have a supporting display. VRR helps minimise the perceived judder in its 45-60fps range in frame-rate mode, creating a smoother experience by matching the screen refresh to the frame-rate. This may not be a solution for everybody, but for those with compatible TVs it's the best option on Xbox right now.

DF on PC VRR support.

Variable refresh rate monitors using G-Sync or Freesync help alleviate a level of the distracting nature of some of these issues, but leaning on the technology is not a good situation

Same same but different.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Series S owner here with a standard, non vrr, 4k TV . Am I right to assume it will be best to just play in Quality mode since performance mode doesn't hit 60 fps?

Jose92

[Membe
Not really. VRR is just a visual fix over an unlocked frame-rate. Its not doing a thing in terms of latency or responsiveness.
That is correct but you missing a big factor, that is our biological optical feedback. Our visual system is able to discern the difference between a variable 40-60fps game with vrr enabled and disabled. Which make a huge difference on how smooth we perceive a game to be.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

DF on PC VRR support.

Same same but different.
So the stutters aren't THAT bad of you have Gsync, uh?

Can't wait to try the game tonight and find out if it's as bad as some say.

Last edited:

adamsapple

DF on PC VRR support.

Same same but different.

Probably helps if you use the entire quote I guess:

Variable refresh rate monitors using G-Sync or Freesync help alleviate a level of the distracting nature of some of these issues, but leaning on the technology is not a good situation in light of how the console versions do not suffer from these stutters

Without having seen the video, it seems like they're talking about frame time stutters, not FPS drops like consoles.

I wonder how they could do that in the same article lol
Most times they use different stances in different articles.

The GSync quote is talking about frame time stutters on PC which can happen even if you don't have performance drops.

Not the same thing.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That is correct but you missing a big factor, that is our biological optical feedback. Our visual system is able to discern the difference between a variable 40-60fps game with vrr enabled and disabled. Which make a huge difference on how smooth we perceive a game to be.
Just to add his experience with VRR in that game.

I wonder what the opinion of the "30fps hurts my eyes" crowd on VRR.
Because the framerate slideshow is there yet.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Probably helps if you use the entire quote I guess:

Without having seen the video, it seems like they're talking about frame time stutters, not FPS drops like consoles.
And the PC version does not suffer from FPS drops, does that mean series X leaning on VRR is not a good situation?

Darsxx82

I find it incomprehensible that a game with this level of performance (when it is not even anything outstanding at a technological level) can have a 97 on Metacritic.

It has been clear for some time now that Fromsoftware has become a Studio fetish with media favor .

If it were a game from Bethesda, Ubi, Xbox, Playstation, EA etc... such a lousy performance would have consequences on the final reviews notes.
There are not a few occasions where very good games have been destroyed on Metacritic by performance even better than Elden Ring.

adamsapple

And the PC version does not suffer from FPS drops, does that mean series X leaning on VRR is not a good situation?

You're purposefully misconstruing the point. The two points in the article are covering different things. On consoles its a broader issue of optimization and straight up performance drops, on PC regardless of caliber of hardware you are still prone to those spikes even if your rig far exceeds the recommended specs.

These are not the same. And their points on VRR/GSync is pretty straight forward. Consoles have FPS drops, that cannot be changed via hardware components, so on that fixed platform VRR is helping. On PC, it shouldn't happen in the first place cause it shouldn't be bottlenecked like consoles if you have sufficient hardware.

Last edited:

Boneless

I find it incomprehensible that a game with this level of performance (when it is not even anything outstanding at a technological level) can have a 97 on Metacritic.

It has been clear for some time now that Fromsoftware has become a Studio fetish with media favor .

If it were a game from Bethesda, Ubi, Xbox, Playstation, EA etc... such a lousy performance would have consequences on the final reviews notes.
There are not a few occasions where very good games have been destroyed on Metacritic by performance even better than Elden Ring.
It sounds like you are misinterpreting what is being said. What are you basing 'lousy performance' on? The reviewers all had a blast, it's super playable, there are no game breaking bugs.

We're just out of 30fps world and everyone is acting like spoiled children demanding fixed 60fps?

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Not trying to dismiss your point, but I'd argue its an emotional response as much as anything in the sense of how much the lack of smoothness bothers you as an individual is going to be the biggest difference maker.

Personally, I can somewhat overlook the issue if the deficit is mostly connected with moments of gameplay that are high-stress and high-focus, however if its wobbling about when simply moving around in quiet areas -or worse if its persistent hitching due to bad frame-pacing- then I do find it harder to ignore.

Consistency with the "experience on the stick" is in my view the deal-breaker. So its kinda hard to judge really without playing as to how damaging the effect is going to be.

ethomaz

Banned
What VRR fix, better hide, is a way worst issue than framerate changes.
Games can be play in lower framerates just fine.
But judder and tearing are the hell and VRR alleviates that (when the game has these issues of course).

Last edited:

Aesius

You get used to it. I refused to play Bloodborne for years because of technical issues. Then after 30 minutes or so I got used to the framerate and frame pacing issues and never really noticed them again. And it's one of the greatest games of all time IMO.

SlimySnake

You're purposefully misconstruing the point. The two points in the article are covering different things. On consoles its a broader issue of optimization and straight up performance drops, on PC regardless of caliber of hardware you are still prone to those spikes even if your rig far exceeds the recommended specs.

These are not the same. And their points on VRR/GSync is pretty straight forward. Consoles have FPS drops, that cannot be changed via hardware components, so on that fixed platform VRR is helping. On PC, it shouldn't happen in the first place cause it shouldn't be bottlenecked like consoles if you have sufficient hardware.
Who cares WHY you need VRR. Both versions are unoptimized. XSX shouldnt be running the game at 45-60 fps. The PC version has stutters because they didnt optimize it well enough. the XSX dips to 45 fps because it isnt optimized enough.

VRR helps in both cases. Plain and simple. Saying it is a great solution on one platform and the opposite on another platform is bizarre logic.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
And that’s enough to make me not play the ps4 version. I honestly hate loading times nowadays. I’ve become a SSD whore. 😆
I think more than 4s loading times unacceptable in next-gen machines but that is me ;)
It is not like I can't wait 6, 8 or 10s... it just not something to happen in next-gen machines if devs put the minimum effort.

Last edited:

adamsapple

What VRR fix, better hide, is a way worst issue than framerate changes.
Games can be play in lower framerates just fine.
But judder and tearing are the hell and VRR alleviates that (when the game has these issues of course).

And screen tearing too.

Who cares WHY you need VRR. Both versions are optimized. XSX shouldnt be running the game at 45-60 fps. The PC version has stutters because they didnt optimize it well enough. the XSX dips to 45 fps because it isnt optimized enough.

VRR helps in both cases. Plain and simple. Saying it is a great solution on one platform and the opposite on another platform is bizarre logic.

Yes, you're right. The proper solution is for From to fix their broken ass engine.

The article has 4, 5 contributors so who knows who wrote which part. Guessing the PC portion was done by Alex and the console portion of John going by his favoring the VRR version on twitter as well.

OsirisBlack

Banned
He added just now

Too much to do just fire it up on ps5 and have a better experience. TBH I have no idea why from soft of all people is trying to incorporate ray tracing in this game. As far as tech goes they are not it. Gameplay yes technology….. no. There going to tank the frame rate with a RT patch.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
fuckkkkkkk…I bought all 3!

will play on PC first, then XBOX.

Will G SYNC help with framepacing issues?

do we think this game could actually trigger journalists actually asking Sony where the fuck is VRR?

also, I guess theee is no way I can download the ps4 version and play it with the ps5 disk?
Yeah in the same boat as you. Will find the one that plays best on my various set ups and go with that.

scydrex

I think more than 4s loading times unacceptable in next-gen machines but that is me ;)
It is not like I can't wait 6, 8 or 10s... it just not something to happen in next-gen machines if devs put the minimum effort.

How much worse is the PS4 version loading? If it's very bad i take my 50-60fps anyday...

Last edited:

Banned
Who cares WHY you need VRR. Both versions are optimized. XSX shouldnt be running the game at 45-60 fps. The PC version has stutters because they didnt optimize it well enough. the XSX dips to 45 fps because it isnt optimized enough.

the issue on PC is that these stutters are massive frametime spikes due to shader compilation and/or IO issues.

on consoles the framerate fluctuates between 45 and 60 but it doesn't spike from 16.6ms all the way to 33ms or higher from one frame to the other.
shader compilation stutters can sometimes mean a spike all the way to 100ms, so basically 0fps for a second.

if your frametime spikes up and down rapidly no amount of VRR support will hide that or make it feel smooth.

on console the framtimes seem to never actually deviate to any extreme degree, hence VRR smooths this over decently (but also not perfectly)

Last edited:

Darsxx82

It sounds like you are misinterpreting what is being said. What are you basing 'lousy performance' on? The reviewers all had a blast, it's super playable, there are no game breaking bugs.

We're just out of 30fps world and everyone is acting like spoiled little children demanding fixed 60fps?
these games often have no redeeming qualities. FromSoftware's game design and art direction is top tier and often overshadows the performance issues
A game can be as great as it is, but such a level of performance (across all platforms) should be reflected in the Metacritic reviews and average.

And no, it is not "super playable", it is playable in the way of past times that are no longer acceptable.

The favorable treatment is so clear that Fromsoftware itself no longer worries about improving that section in its next project because it knows that it does not penalize it.

The lack of criticism from many fans and media press It is the first step so that in their next game they blatantly neglect the performance part again.

Markio128

When I pick up the game it’ll be on PS5 because I don’t have a VRR enabled telly, but I’m still disappointed with uncapped frame rates, particularly on quality mode. Why can’t it just be capped at 30fps?

Banned
On PS5 you can run the PS4 version, is it possible to run the Xbox One X version on Series X by installing via the disc offline ?

Has anyone been able to verify this ?

only if you own an Xbox One X.
you would need to install the game on a USB drive using an Xbox One X. then move the drive to the Series X (or install internally and then send it over the network)

then on Series X you will be asked to "upgrade" when you start the game, decline that, and it should launch the One X version.

the issue it can have (not all games do that but some do) is that it will force you into offline mode. meaning no online functionality available during play.

not every game does that but most of them do. it's basically down to the developers, most don't care and so most games force you into offline mode

Top Bottom