• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring performance: what to expect on PS5, Series X/S and PC

Jose92

[Membe

Tldr; Similar performance profile to the network test version earlier. PS5 Generally has more stable 60fps compared to Xbox Series X. Frampacing issues on PC.

Version 1.02 (still WIP)

- Nothing was changed from Beta
- Performance mode: 45-60fps
- Quality Mode: 30-60fps
- Unlocked framerate for both machines
- 60fps in Quality Mode is rarely hit
- PS5 is typically operating at a higher frame-rate than Series X
- Running the PS4 App on PS5 gets you locked 60fps (at lower resolution 1800p reconstructed and lower settings in grass density)
- On Series X you can use VRR but it is not perfect and it doesn't work well on Series S due the lower framerate range
- Even with the trade-offs PS4 app on PS5 is the best way to play the game on consoles right now

Last edited by a moderator:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Jesus what a bummer. I dont have a 2.1 HDMI receiver so I will have to forgo uncompressed audio to use the VRR. Maybe I will just go with a headset on this one.

chaseroni

Sony needs to get on the ball with VRR, they'd have the best console version of the game if they did right now.
I seriously hope that if/when they add VRR to PS5, it just works with all titles. But I fucking doubt it.

Banned
So PC will be the place to play because a few nice people will fix it. Not sure why devs can't get remotely locked FPS lately.

I bet no modder will be able to fix shader compilation stutters.

also modding might get you banned from the online mode as they said they will look into security more

Xbox with VRR wins again.
Riky Riky

giphy-3.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Quick everybody pretend they have a VRR display

*snaps fingers twice* You, yes you, come over here and say you will buy both the PC and the Xbox version. It’s not stupid just do it.

fuckkkkkkk…I bought all 3!

will play on PC first, then XBOX.

Will G SYNC help with framepacing issues?

do we think this game could actually trigger journalists actually asking Sony where the fuck is VRR?

also, I guess theee is no way I can download the ps4 version and play it with the ps5 disk?

Last edited:

Banned
Pretty easy call in most cases if you have both new consoles and a VRR capable display

well in the beta it was still really bad for me even with VRR. I had to set my Xbox to 1440p120hz for one to widen my VRR window because it dropped below 48fps too much, and at 60hz My old ass tv can only go to 48hz lol

there was apparently a patch released just an hour ago 1.02.1 that APPARENTLY improves Xbox performance a bit...

if that patch can hold above 48fps I might go with the Xbox version too... if not I will play the PS4 Pro version on PS5 I think

Boneless

it could be sensible to wait for further patches before investing time into the PC version of Elden Ring.

Oh sure I'll just hold off playing the GOAT for some stutters.

Obviously Id rather have it 100% smooth but Im not at all worried about the mentioned issues.

I also wonder if forcing dx11 through steam will help, as these are dx12 issues.

Last edited:

NickFire

I think I’m starting with quality mode. But would be nice if Sony gets VRR done finally. It’s kinda of getting ridiculous that this feature is taking so long. Hardly the end of the world, but I’d like to give it a shot eventually.

Swift_Star

Banned

Tldr; Similar performance profile to the network test version earlier. PS5 Generally has more stable 60fps compared to Xbox Series X. Frampacing issues on PC.
If it’s closer to locked 60fps on ps5, I’ll gladly take that over load times on ps4. I don’t care about a few frame drops that I’ll barely notice.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You bought ps, xbox and PC? Jesus.

Yes, I know……

I’ve actually read the article, g sync helps on pc so I’ll be ok there. I wish Sony would allow me to download the PS4 version with the ps5 disk…but hey ho.

I would imagine there will be significant pressure to get FromSoft to fix the GOAT On all platforms.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
well in the beta it was still really bad for me even with VRR. I had to set my Xbox to 1440p120hz for one to widen my VRR window because it dropped below 48fps too much, and at 60hz My old ass tv can only go to 48hz lol

there was apparently a patch released just an hour ago 1.02.1 that APPARENTLY improves Xbox performance a bit...

if that patch can hold above 48fps I might go with the Xbox version too... if not I will play the PS4 Pro version on PS5 I think
He added just now

ethomaz

Banned
Version 1.02 (still WIP)

- Nothing was changed from Beta
- Performance mode: 45-60fps
- Quality Mode: 30-60fps
- Unlocked framerate for both machines
- 60fps in Quality Mode is rarely hit
- PS5 is typically operating at a higher frame-rate than Series X
- Running the PS4 App on PS5 gets you locked 60fps (at lower resolution 1800p reconstructed and lower settings in grass density)
- On Series X you can use VRR but it is not perfect and it doesn't work well on Series S due the lower framerate range
- Even with the trade-offs PS4 app on PS5 is the best way to play the game on consoles right now

Even the last line is a shame... I don't have a PS5 to play PS4 app games lol
Fuck.

Last edited:

Banned
He added just now

I think that is an issue with his TV tbh. I never had that issue at all. and my TV needs to be set to 120hz to support lower framerates than 48fps, and it seems this game can go down below that.

maybe that new 1.02.1 patch that released an hour ago will improve it to be above 48fps for the most part? if so I will set it to 60hz again.

Top Bottom