• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring performance: what to expect on PS5, Series X/S and PC

Ulysses 31

Any idea how gen 3 drives do?

Because yoir drive is 7gb/s , so series consoles should be 3x slower? So 15-30 seconds?
However im sure Ive read that gen 3 SSDs perform similarly to gen4's in games.
A few seconds more at most I'd guess.

Manufactures love to advertise top speeds of SSDs but those speeds are rarely met outside of copying huge files sequentially.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Because yoir drive is 7gb/s , so series consoles should be 3x slower? So 15-30 seconds?
Most likely loading is not dependent just on storage, on PC you are compiling shaders and decompressing stuff. It will be dependent also on CPU & GPU

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Most likely loading is not dependent just on storage, on PC you are compiling shaders and decompressing stuff. It will be dependent also on CPU & GPU
Indeed. But the discrepancy in loading times we are seeing between the series consoles and PC is not normal, most of the time they are very close.

chaseroni

There's nothing to prove. The digital version gives you both versions, it's obvious the physical will do to. Isn't the same for every crossgen game, apart from those whose upgrades are paid? This isn't rock science.
You’re wrong, turns out it is indeed Rock Science

You don’t know the first fucking thing about me. Gotta love the internet.I never once said it didn’t stutter or I wouldn’t love a locked 60fps. My reaction is to the level of hyperbole. People are acting like it’s broken and a mess, it’s not. Lastly, this is a public forum and no, I won’t shut up. A lot of tough talk from random, elsewhere, behind a keyboard.
I mean....

Riky

$MSFT
You can't boot up the PS4 version if you got the PS5 disc, right?

Mark Wahlberg Reaction GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
But you got a box with PS5 on so its all good.
Seriously now we know why Smart Delivery was a big win for consumers, I can switch between four Xbox versions and my save is just there and works across them all with no messing around uploading.

ethomaz

Banned
Seriously now we know why Smart Delivery was a big win for consumers, I can switch between four Xbox versions and my save is just there and works across them all with no messing around uploading.
Did you read what he is trying to do? He want to play the PS4 version on PS5. Smart Delivery is the complete opposite of what he is trying to do.

I have no ideia why you even posted about Smart Delivery lol

And no you can’t shift between the Xbox One X version in Series X because Smart Delivery doesn’t allow that.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Did you read what he is trying to do? He want to play the PS4 version on PS5. Smart Delivery is the complete opposite of what he is trying to do.

I have no ideia why you even posted about Smart Delivery lol

He can't though can he, so it would have been better to buy the PS4 version and get the upgrade for PS5. But I remember some fool saying quite recently that if you have a PS5 you should buy PS5 versions, that looks a bit idiotic now already.
I just got all four versions, no problem.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
He can't though can he, so it would have been better to buy the PS4 version and get the upgrade for PS5. But I remember some fool saying quite recently that if you have a PS5 you should buy PS5 versions, that looks a bit idiotic now already.
And you can only play the XSX version. How is that a win?

Last edited:

scydrex

Can you play the four version with the Series S or X? Why John from DF was asking how to play the Xbox One version then?

ethomaz

Banned
Man you are really something.

You can’t play your Xbox One X version on Series X because Smart Delivery doesn’t allow it… it is limited.

You getting zillions of versions on Xbox has the same issues he is having with one PS5 physical version.

Last edited:
I’ve watched whatever videos are out and the PS4 version on PS5 looks the best option for someone like me who easily notices framerate fluctuations even if the image may be softer. I may be wrong if I saw the image in person but think I will have a punt.

VRR is amazing tech and all my TVs and monitors now have it but I like it more for catching drops not when for when the entire game is running at 40-50 fps and the PS5 version looks like it is constantly under 60fps in combat so will judder like crazy if you are unfortunate enough to notice stuff like that.

Nankatsu

Gold Member

Nice one, but in my defense that wasn't the case (see what I did here?).

I'm mainly a physical edition guy.

I simply went with the wagon and bought the PS5 version because it's the console that I'm currently playing on.

Didn't read anything about the game's performance before buying it, and to be honest wasn't expecting these many problems.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I’ve watched whatever videos are out and the PS4 version on PS5 looks the best option for someone like me who easily notices framerate fluctuations even if the image may be softer. I may be wrong if I saw the image in person but think I will have a punt.

VRR is amazing tech and all my TVs and monitors now have it but I like it more for catching drops not when for when the entire game is running at 40-50 fps and the PS5 version looks like it is constantly under 60fps in combat so will judder like crazy if you are unfortunate enough to notice stuff like that.
From all the options.
PS4 App running on PS5 is the best option… DF was very clear about that.

But that is shame and not something to be proud… From really underdelivered.

Swift_Star

Banned
Nah playing with VRR, that's how DF said they were playing so I'll take their word for it. Also I can move between Xbox consoles and my save will just download and work with them all, it's quite a system.
Yeah, sure, I can die twice while you're waiting to respawn.
Really good, indeed.

coming here to read about impressions on performance and 90% of the comments are console war bullshit between ps5 and xbox sx with everyone posting their pointless and stupid little google search facts about the hardware. jesus. STFU! buy both consoles and be done with it you poors! let's talk about the real issue here: ELDEN RING RUNS LIKE SHIT ON ALL OF THE PLATFORMS. PERIOD. FROM SOFTWARE NEEDS TO FIX THIS. 4K/60FPS SHOULD BE DONE AND DONE ON ALL THE MACHINES CURRENT GEN AND PC. If an xbox s can even run the game, then a ps5 and series x and pc should be able to smoke it.

FrankWza

It’s a nice option. If they lock the PS5 version eventually or when VRR hits, you’ll have the best version and a decent graphics upgrade. For now just play the best performing option.

swing_harder

Neo Member
Anyone compared ps5 and pc loading times?
I’ve put over 5 hours on ps5 and performance mode is really good looking aa wise. The only downside is terrible frame pacing due to running in middle 50s. Ps5 needs vrr or this game needs fixing. The lock to 30 on resolution mode is a must.

VFXVeteran VFXVeteran what hdr setting you use? I see horrible gradients banding on my lg c1. In game I just lowered hdr max to 800 nits and left sliders at 0.
The banding in the intro looked really wrong. Maybe game wants other black levels entirely
Quick question for you regarding HDR...I'm currently playing the PS5 version on a LG C9. When I first started the game I was getting the HDR badge on the LG screen. However, when I was browsing the Elden Ring game settings menu I noticed that HDR was disabled by default. Did you enable HDR in the game menu? I'm assuming that the PS5 system setting to use "HDR when available" was forcing the game to HDR. Just curious...thanks in advance.

vkbest

People yet don’t understand VRR shouldn’t be used to fix lazy developers shit? First because the most people there don’t have a VRR capable TV, second because at the time people accept this, developers will be lazier. VRR should be used to Quality/Resolution but optional modes

Last edited:
Playing on Series X and when it rains the performance is shit. Not going to lie though, it hasn’t affected my enjoyment of the game at all.

That being said, my buddy messaged me this morning to say that performance on PC is fucking awful despite having an excellent system. So it sucks for those who aren’t able to enjoy the game due to those issues.

scydrex

Tested both PS5 and PS4. PS5 is fine... to me is payable. Will enjoy the game that way. I played GOW in PS4 Pro in performance mode and it was worse than how Elden Ring run in PS5 in performance mode and enjoyed the game. The PS4 version feels smoother 60fps locked and feels very nice if that is important for you. Of course it needs to improve the fame on all platforms. Having a blast with the game and this world is huge.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Quick question for you regarding HDR...I'm currently playing the PS5 version on a LG C9. When I first started the game I was getting the HDR badge on the LG screen. However, when I was browsing the Elden Ring game settings menu I noticed that HDR was disabled by default. Did you enable HDR in the game menu? I'm assuming that the PS5 system setting to use "HDR when available" was forcing the game to HDR. Just curious...thanks in advance.
The game does not talk to ps5 system settings and does not use it's hdr values.
And the "use hdr when possible" ps5 setting is a load of crap.
So yes - enable it in game :)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I have mine installed on a 670P Intel drive and it takes about 5 to 6 seconds to load. Its super fast. Theres something going wrong with the xbox version i think.

After some fiddling I have my PC version sorted. Yes there is stuttering when loading into new areas, its like you can see the load point and it stutters for a second but then it clears up and i'm locked 60 FPS.

Ive beaten like 4 bosses already and the game is incredible. I can see why it was reviewed well but the performance needs 100% fixing. Then it will be a classic!

Mr Hyde

Playing on PS5 and I think it's pretty solid overall. There are franedrops and it could certainly improve, but it's perfectly playable and it hits 60 fps most of the time. Not a single crash so far and no glitches or bugs. Totally overblown reactions if you ask me.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Playing on Series X and when it rains the performance is shit. Not going to lie though, it hasn’t affected my enjoyment of the game at all.

That being said, my buddy messaged me this morning to say that performance on PC is fucking awful despite having an excellent system. So it sucks for those who aren’t able to enjoy the game due to those issues.
I don't know where these bad experiences from the PC is coming from. Either I have a well built system or people are using hyperbole or they don't have well built systems.

I have the following specs:

RTX 3090
AMD 3950X
64G RAM
Samsung EVO970+ Pcie 4.0 SSD

All graphics options are MAX
My microstutters are largely during open world spots and their duration is extremely short.

Top Bottom