• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Exclusive - Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition: Xbox Series X|S DF Tech Review

3liteDragon

Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition sees 4A Games revamp their brilliant engine to fully support ray tracing from the ground up, with a stunning real-time global illumination implementation. As well as transitioning the game to RT, 4A *also* doubles frame-rate - 30fps on Xbox One X becomes 60fps on Xbox Series X. For the complete lowdown on the game, plus Series S analysis, look no further.

00:00:00 Introduction
00:01:38 Xbox One X vs. Xbox Series X - Ray Traced Sun Bounce Lighting
00:04:34 Xbox One X vs. Xbox Series X - Ray Traced Sky Lighting
00:07:30 Xbox One X vs. Xbox Series X - Ray Traced Colour Bounce
00:09:23 Xbox One X vs. Xbox Series X - Ray Traced Emissive Lighting
00:11:44 Xbox One X vs. Xbox Series X - Improved Screen-Space Reflections
00:13:44 Xbox One X vs. Xbox Series X - Improved Performance & Loading
00:15:08 PC vs. Xbox Series X - Settings and Optimisations
00:20:29 Xbox Series S Analysis
00:24:02 Xbox Series S & X Performance Analysis
00:26:34 Conclusion

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
One of my favorite games of last generation and still looks stunning. I hope more people check it out as I felt like it was criminally underappreciated and wasn't talked about enough. Super immersive game and maybe more people will check it out now with these upgrades and enhancements.

Spidey Fan

Banned
series s be like
Avengers Struggle GIF by The Ringer

Leo9

It is not a full raytraced game.
It is using raytracing for GI I believe everything else is rasterized.

I believe Minecraft RTX is one of the few games full raytraced in the market.
"Ultimately though, Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition is a success on consoles - and an important one, being the first major triple-A quality game engine to transition entirely to an RT-based foundation"

That's what I meant.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Think I'm going to bite and get this. I put around 5 hours in back on my Xb1X when it was on gamepass. That 60 fps seems like its going to make a big difference as I found the aiming to be a little wonky in the past.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Alex calls them optimizations, I call them downgrades. Way too many cuts needed to get this thing to run with ray traced lighting. 1296p in the GPU open world areas? Fine, I can live with that seeing as how this is 60 fps but then he spends the next 5 minutes listing downgrade after downgrade from the PC version.

These consoles arent built for fully ray traced games. Maybe the mid gen upgrades targeting 20-25 tflops. I'd rather devs use traditional techniques to make games look next gen for now.

ethomaz

Banned
Forgive me but what about the other games enhanced via patch which improved loading time? First time I see such shit show in loading times.
Well you need to ask the dev why it didn’t focus in change how loading is done in this game.

Each dev it own priorities… I believe they full focus was with RT GI.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
44 seconds loading time??? And I wouldn't even be surprised to hear the PS5 version doesn't fare much better.
Seriously, wtf is this?
Mostly likely some generation of some stuff, even PC takes a ton of time. Some weather system generation, etc?

elliot5

Looks good on the X. Some spots are weird with how the lighting differs from PC though. Wonder if those are bugs or just how it is. Series S def looks pretty blurry at times, but it averages around 900p... for a near locked 60 FPS fully raytraced GI and others title. That's pretty insane.. pop in is pretty distracting though.

Y'all bitching about "512p" don't even have an S and love looking at the lowest numbers to fuel your narratives.

The OG Xbox One ran Metro Exodus at around 900p THIRTY FPS without any sort of raytracing or enhanced graphics at all.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Alex calls them optimizations, I call them downgrades. Way too many cuts needed to get this thing to run with ray traced lighting. 1296p in the GPU open world areas? Fine, I can live with that seeing as how this is 60 fps but then he spends the next 5 minutes listing downgrade after downgrade from the PC version.

These consoles arent built for fully ray traced games. Maybe the mid gen upgrades targeting 20-25 tflops. I'd rather devs use traditional techniques to make games look next gen for now.
Like i have said nuemous times, ray tracing should of been kept for the mid gen consoles. In fact Ray tracing would of been anice hook for the mid gen consoles, beccause i dont know what other 'hook' they can have because they certainly wont have the power to get anywhere close to 8k.

Having said that, the fact that little Series S is running a game like Metro Exodus at 60fps with ray traced global illumination, well its some kinf of magic, low resolution or not.

Skifi28

My heart goes out to anyone playing this on an S.

Other than that, my only real complaint is the omission of tesselation. It was acceptable on the PS4/one, but I would have expected this version to incude it as it makes a big difference in the visuals.

Last edited:

Jaxcellent

For me, next gen so far is pretty mediocre.

Sometimes more pretty lights. 60frames is good but, in some scenes i think the XboneX looks better. I get it's cool to have the most realistic light, but alot of the time the raytaced version looks way dark. Have you ever been inside with the door open, and light shines through the door, but it forms those pitch black shadows inside? Not realistic at all.

Sometimes I just prefer more cinematic light, kinda like in movies.
Its still a great game but I kinda expected more from next gen, when i will be able to purchase a PS5 probably 2022 i hope they make some true next gen games.

The S already looks like a waste of everybody's time and money, exactly like people on GAF predicted.

scydrex

Looks good on the X. Some spots are weird with how the lighting differs from PC though. Wonder if those are bugs or just how it is. Series S def looks pretty blurry at times, but it averages around 900p... for a near locked 60 FPS fully raytraced GI and others title. That's pretty insane.. pop in is pretty distracting though.

Y'all bitching about "512p" don't even have an S and love looking at the lowest numbers to fuel your narratives.

The OG Xbox One ran Metro Exodus at around 900p THIRTY FPS without any sort of raytracing or enhanced graphics at all.

Yes it´s the lowest number and average is around 900p. Remember this gen started in November. No even 1 year has passed and the S most of the time is a 1080p machine including last gen games even without RT and a couple of games 1440p if i remember correctly.

Last edited:

Kangx

Series X
1080 - 1728p (variate all the time)

Series S
512p - 1080p (averages at 864p, noticeable popin)

Temporal reconstruction to the 1080p (S) and 4k (X)… 60fps pretty solid in both.

Man this Series S lol
This is more detail

Series x

*1520 - 1728p when doing nothing in open area, and you spend plenty of time doing this.
*1080 - 1280p when there is action and combat.
Reduce in tessellation and the quality of GI when compare to pc. Duh.
*Frame rate is generally solid. There can be dip, but frame time can be distracting when multiple spike happen at a time. This happen the same on both Series console.

Series s

*The same resolution drop apply for both open and combat scenarios.
*Lower draw distance compare to the x.
*Pop up can be distracting

*Loading is faster on pc.

I'll be surprise if the ps5 any better than this because this is a ray tracing game. Maybe the loading is faster.

Last edited:
For me, next gen so far is pretty mediocre.

Sometimes more pretty lights. 60frames is good but, in some scenes i think the XboneX looks better. I get it's cool to have the most realistic light, but alot of the time the raytaced version looks way dark. Have you ever been inside with the door open, and light shines through the door, but it forms those pitch black shadows inside? Not realistic at all.

Sometimes I just prefer more cinematic light, kinda like in movies.
Its still a great game but I kinda expected more from next gen, when i will be able to purchase a PS5 probably 2022 i hope they make some true next gen games.

The S already looks like a waste of everybody's time and money, exactly like people on GAF predicted.
Metro Exodus in many ways is a beautiful game to look at. The one problem the game has is its low budget for anything that is not related to the renderer. Animations, lip sync, AI, production value in high action sequences, etc. are all miles behind the 3d rendering of the game, leading to a very heavy eurojank feeling.
It reminds me a lot of the old Stalker games that had cutting-edge tech for their engine and were sadly never able to do anything impressive with it.

elliot5

Yes it´s the lowest number and average is around 900p. Remember this gen started in November. No even 1 year has passed and the S most of the time is a 1080p machine including last gen games even without RT and a couple of games 1440p if i remember correctly.
Are you referring to Horizon? Who cares. It's a 1080-1440p machine most of the time. Simpler games like Hades are 4K60 on it. It all comes down to the developer. The resolution isn't some hard cap

They could have put in a 30 fps mode with higher resolution on S but didn't. Getting this at 60 fps with RT on a tiny gpu with hardly any form of hardware for RT is impressive

Top Bottom