• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Exclusive - Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition: Xbox Series X|S DF Tech Review

That's pretty funny because DF didn't compare XSS to the Switch, you did. DF doesn't constantly make up arbitrary metrics for the XSS to make it look bad, you do. DF gives credit to the XSS for it meeting expectations for its target, you don't. So again no I have no issues with DF's analysis at all. $300 box doing work no cheaper console is? That's a win.
XSS was sold as a 1440p console, not a sub 1080p console.

dcmk7

Banned
That's pretty funny because DF didn't compare XSS to the Switch, you did. DF doesn't constantly make up arbitrary metrics for the XSS to make it look bad, you do. DF gives credit to the XSS for it meeting expectations for its target, you don't. So again no I have no issues with DF's analysis at all. $300 box doing work no cheaper console is? That's a win.

Frank doesn't have the XSS and you don't either but Frank isn't here trash talking, you are. If the question is do I have a problem with people making up crap about the XSS to score fanboy points? Yes I do. That has nothing to do with DF at all. No need for misdirection.
You still don't make any sense.

I haven't made up anything at all. If I have please show me.

I said the pop-in reminded me of another game, yes I did. I didn't know it's against forum rules to compare games with a similar level of pop-in. I don't get why it even upsets you.. It's just an opinion.

I have been talking about the Digital Foundry analysis in this thread, you have been talking about users needing to prove that they have the console for their posts to have any merit(!). You're obviously not coping very well to something.. not everything needs to be a conspiracy theory. I do wish you would stop attempting to derail threads into needless bickering.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Impressive. I’m sure at regular Viewing distances from the TV, none will notice or care score XSX dynamic resolution swings.

Hugare

They should have made 1440p and 900p options at 30 fps for both consoles

512p is just ... Oof

This probably means that CDPR will be able to make Cyberpunk run at 1440p 30 fps with RT on Series X/PS5 (probably)

Here we go again. Series X and Ps5 were sold as 4k consoles, not 1080p consoles, why aren't you stating that?
MS made a point of saying they had a 4k and a 1440p console, they set expectations for their audience... Then don't meet them, I can't recall sony telling me that their 8.4tf machine would play games at 4k 120fps as a normal thing I should expect (beyond having the capacity).

You still don't make any sense.

I haven't made up anything at all. If I have please show me.

I said the pop-in reminded me of another game, yes I did. I didn't know it's against forum rules to compare games with a similar level of pop-in. I don't get why it even upsets you.. It's just an opinion.

I have been talking about the Digital Foundry analysis in this thread, you have been talking about users needing to prove that they have the console for their posts to have any merit(!). You're obviously not coping very well to something.. not everything needs to be a conspiracy theory. I do wish you would stop attempting to derail threads into needless bickering.
Nah man you aren't making any sense. You chose to give the hot take comparing the XSS to the Switch. It wasn't a good take but of course you are free to make it. I have never said forums users need to a own a console they criticize only that their lack of knowledge needs to be taken into account when they are hurling crap.

What I don't cope well with is BS. You and some of your friends have a weird opposition to the XSS and it's pretty sad. Hopefully you guys all realize it won't hurt you and people wanting a good value are well served by the device.

Here we go again. Series X and Ps5 were sold as 4k consoles, not 1080p consoles, why aren't you stating that?
The XSS, the budget console, alone is held to the impossible standard of every game needing raytracing and being 1440p. PS5 and to a much lesser extent XSX are exempt. It is just more disingenuous nonsense. I appreciate you making this point repeatedly.

MS made a point of saying they had a 4k and a 1440p console, they set expectations for their audience... Then don't meet them, I can't recall sony telling me that their 8.4tf machine would play games at 4k 120fps as a normal thing I should expect (beyond having the capacity).
I thought the PS5 was 10TF. Several users were banned saying otherwise. Sony AND MS marketed their high end devices as 4k and they both have lots of games that don't run at that resolution. For you to single out the XSS is pretty silly.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Right, Sony and Ms set the expectation (aka "made a point" as you say) of 4k for their X and ps5 respectively, and this game clearly does not deliver that at 4k 60fps. Why aren't you upset with them for that?

Last edited:

Neo_game

SS performance is not surprising. I do not understand SS apologist. This was never going to be a popular console and it shouldn't be either. We need high performance console so in future if they decide to release both standard and Pro version it should be 500$ and 700$ IMO.

SS performance is not surprising. I do not understand SS apologist. This was never going to be a popular console and it shouldn't be either. We need high performance console so in future if they decide to release both standard and Pro version it should be 500$ and 700$ IMO.

It could get discounted to $100-$150 4-5yrs later. Has potential to reach much bigger demographic. Not saying it will be successful but it has potential.

No idea why gamers against the idea. Would you rather have mobile take over?

As shown in this game, it doesn't affect Series X performance. So that theory is out of the window.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
tB8hCjj.png

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You mean to tell me the XSS 'concern' isn't real but just revenge trolling for perceived slights made before the PS5 even came out? I appreciate your honesty.

No. People are curious to see how well the Xbox Series S is going to hold up 3-4 years into the generation.

People seem to be very critical of how the PS5 was designed, but the same people who are critical of the PS5 don't like it when anyone outside of the Xbox fanbase talks about an Xbox console - in this case, the Xbox Series S.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Only those in the circle jerk might join... Why so defensive of a lackluster product ? Why do you come to the bat for them?

The problem isn't that it's a lackluster product, the problem is people like yourself holding it to some sort of imaginary standard. Notice you completely avoided my point regarding ps5/series X, since you had zero answer for it.

Last edited:

ZehDon

No. People are curious to see how well the Xbox Series S is going to hold up 3-4 years into the generation.

People seem to be very critical of how the PS5 was designed, but the same people who are critical of the PS5 don't like it when anyone outside of the Xbox fanbase talks about an Xbox console - in this case, the Xbox Series S.
Well, to be fair, looking at most of the replies, it seems the people who are the most "curious" about the Series S don't own one and have no intention of doing so. Why is that?

Well, to be fair, looking at most of the replies, it seems the people who are the most "curious" about the Series S don't own one and have no intention of doing so. Why is that?

I think it's iq is holding up nicely looking at the video. But people have got a number to hold onto.

Am a Series S customer, and honestly, if someone told me Dev's would be able to make RT work on it at all, I would have laughed them away.

Definitely very playable and enjoyable due to 60fps in my books.

nikolino840

Probably for the best. Just watched the series S segment and the footage looks really blurry. 512p is roughly 1024*512 so we are looking at 500k pixels. almost half of 720p which is around 900k pixels. So even if they targeted 30 fps the framerate would dip to just above 720p during this forest level and most firefights which apparently cant even hold 60 fps despite DRS going all the way down to 512p.

1bZYrCX.png

tppIWkV.png

I think devs should target at least 720p on the series s. I know MS marketed it as a 1440p console, but we all knew they really meant 1080p. 720p is literally less than half of 1080p already so at least try and hit 720p which is the lowest HD resolution. Make other cutbacks elsewhere if you have to. But make 720p a mandate. You just cant go lower than that period.

If sacrifices need to be made, start with ray tracing or foliage density. I get that developing on xbox consoles under in GDK is great and all, but you cant take an xbox series x version and just expect it to run flawlessly on the series s. The resolution downgrade is way too much so start by cutting more visual effects. Especially when series x is dropping to 1296p in the same forest level.

I brought this up when DF found that Returnal was running at 1080p base resolution. i wondered just what that would mean for games running on series s. Well, now we know. As powerful as these consoles are, the PS5 and Series X are already hitting 1080p-1200p resolutions when trying to do 60 fps. Whats going to happen when mid to late gen titles arrive targeting 1080p 30 fps on the series s and ps5? That is exactly the resolution of the new UE5 demo with the highest hardware accelerated Lumens setting. Are we looking at a 512p game or 480p on the series s. MS needs to do mandate lowering other settings instead of resolution beyond 720p.
I think is important now to stress the series s..at least to know what is capable outside the theory...is almost a miracle :D

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
They're curious to see how the console holds up. It's no different than people going on PS threads and doing the same thing about the PS5 and how it holds up against the Xbox Series X.

dcmk7

Banned
Nah man you aren't making any sense. You chose to give the hot take comparing the XSS to the Switch. It wasn't a good take but of course you are free to make it. I have never said forums users need to a own a console they criticize only that their lack of knowledge needs to be taken into account when they are hurling crap.

What I don't cope well with is BS. You and some of your friends have a weird opposition to the XSS and it's pretty sad. Hopefully you guys all realize it won't hurt you and people wanting a good value are well served by the device.
This is what the pop-in reminds me of..

MxMIaPf.gif

The foliage appearing in Metro is similar, in my opinion. Just the foliage. (Bolded, because I'm sure you will attempt to twist) Both bits of detail become visible very, very late to the camera.

otdzqf8.gif

Proving this with actual GIFs, since you're struggling to understand.

I still don't get why you're very upset by the comparison. And so you continue to derail the thread, and personal attacks.

I have never said forums users need to a own a console they criticize only that their lack of knowledge needs to be taken into account when they are hurling crap.
This was your post..
I really wish there was a way to mark the comments from people who talk about the XSS when don't own the device or know what they are talking about. That way we would know nothing they say should be taken seriously.
Their opinions do matter...

Nobody needs the console to analyse the game, Digital Foundry has done it for us.

We are all gamers on this forum. Making people prove they have the consoles they say they own ISN'T a good idea, it's the silliest idea I have heard in a long time.

I didn't agree with FrankWza FrankWza when he suggested it, I know for a fact you ridiculed him for it a lot. So it's staggeringly hypocritical to then suggest the same idea as his.

But let's keep the topic on Metro and the analysis yeh? Enough trolling from you.

Last edited:

Dr. Doak

The problem is not the Series S
It‘s the devs trying to get overrated ray tracing to work on a console which is not designed for ray tracing at all. I own a series S and I don‘t care about RT. Give me 60 FPS and 1080p. Forcing RT on the Series S without having a choice is a joke.

DonJorginho

Banned
This doesn't change the fact that the Series S is still a great little budget console.

If you disabled the RT I'm sure it would get rid of these minor hiccups, but still for the Series S to be running a game that looks as good as Metro at 60fps with RT/GI whilst maintaining a respectable enough final resolution (the upscaled 1080p that we're left with from the 512p it starts from) I'd say that's quite impressive.

I will want the best possible experience so I will play this on my PS5 or XSX but I am more impressed with the Series S with each day that passes.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Hey can you guys stop arguing for a moment and answer my question please.

Just curious, is metro exodus worth playing through? I have it sitting on my shelf since launch, but I am very tempted to give this a quick run through with this update now it's 60fps etc.

Okay, now resume arguing :)

Last edited:

ZehDon

They're curious to see how the console holds up. It's no different than people going on PS threads and doing the same thing about the PS5 and how it holds up against the Xbox Series X.
The threads where people compare PS5 and XSX|XSS are comparison threads between the different platforms... so that type of discussion is the entire point of them.

However, we're in a thread where Digital Foundry are exclusively discussing Microsoft platforms, and comparing between the Windows, XSX and XSS versions of the game. Your justification for this "curiosity" comes across as "revenge trolling", because you're trying the "them too" approach when the PS5 simply isn't involved in the conversation. So, I guess I'll ask again: why are the folks "curious" about the XSS in an XSS thread the ones who don't own an XSS and have no intention of owning an XSS? I could also ask why is the "curiosity" almost exclusively pessimistic and latching on to the lowest resolution metric, but you've answered that with the "no different than" justification.

hlm666

Hey can you guys stop arguing for a moment and answer my question please.

Just curious, is metro exodus worth playing through? I have it sitting on my shelf since launch, but I am very tempted to give this a quick run through with this update now it's 60fps etc.

Okay, now resume arguing :)
It's worth playing definitely, it might take a bit longer than you expect though. The desert area alone can chew up some time.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
It's worth playing definitely, it might take a bit longer than you expect though. The desert area alone can chew up some time.
Awesome, it's a long game? I think I must've assumed it would be a short fps experience, how scary is it? Not a fan of jumpscares, everything else I'm good with.

The man bat on batman arkham Knight was the most terrifying thing I've ever seen in a game due to how unexpected it was haha

icerock

It is ironic how many jimmies are rustled when one gives their take on Series S. It's either A) They are concern trolls B) They don't own the box and never intend to C) They just like to dunk on it. (Add any amount of victim complex). Funny, how all of this goes out of the window, when shoe is on the other foot. You know, ones' posting history is visible to all of us. We can see your not so neutral takes, when DF are breaking down a game which isn't as performant on another console. Might as well nuke the gaming forum, if owning a particular hardware/software is a pre-requisite before one gives their opinion on anything related to them. For those, who are hurt, their favorite little box is being criticized won't have a leg to stand on when they comment on a hardware/software they don't own. Just an incredibly dumb argument, in a series of dumb argument.

Series S for multitude of reasons, right when it was rumored, was pushed back from pretty much all quarters on here (Yes, even the Xbox zeitgeist). The idea of building a cutting edge box, only to saddle it with rocks in it's boot, never sounded appealing. Because, it was going to have a cascading effect throughout the consoles life cycle, which will stretch well into cross-gen period of next-gen consoles. Things were in unison, when the box was (supposedly) canned. But, then once again, MS went into "influencers" overdrive. Most drank the kool-aid. "Oh, it's just a budget Series X, it'll run all the games identically, just at a lower resolution". For those, who knew, game dev is never linear, knew there'd be issues. The biggest one, which everyone is ignoring, is RAM. Which was initially rumored to be 12GB, but due to cost, ended up being 10GB, with only 7.5GB being usable. Another issue, is the weird RAM configuration, which means available memory bandwidth is extremely low for a next-gen console. The game is struggling with RT, because well RT among other things, hogs bandwidth like no tomorrow, it's starved of memory, hence the aggressive cutbacks. I see, memory bandwidth being an issue on PS5/Series X as we move towards the last phase of this gen, so never mind, Series S.

Also, this mythical "value" of Series S. Which was the primary reason, even the forum enthusiast thought it'd be a good idea to split the gen with different hardware configurations, as it will allow to reach a "broader" audience. Well, how about the sales then? Save for US, Series S can be easily sourced elsewhere in the world. In a number of countries, it's already at a discount. This is during a global pandemic, where everything gaming related has been flying off the shelves and yet, Series S is failing to breakthrough the wider audience, despite it being so "budget friendly". Xbox Series is lagging behind sales of Xbox One, a console which was marred with controversy right from the launch, not to mention, Xbox One launched in just 13 countries, whereas Xbox Series was much global. So, why is adoption rate of "cheapest next-gen console" so low?

Well, for one thing, the idea of a $299 console, with $15 a month GP sub flying off the shelves sounded like a swell idea. The reality is that, vast majority of gaming in general is F2P games. Yes, even on consoles. Next up, you have folks, who buy 2 or 3 games, of their favorite franchises year on year, such as CoD/FIFA/Ubisoft AAAs. These folks are simply not interested in playing "more games", they are content with what they have, besides, a sub cost is a burden on them, because the selective games, which they do play, aren't available Day 1 on the service. There is a reason, MS have all their eggs in cloud basket when it comes to expanding their market, hardware is a tertiary business for them, till they try to bring that dream to fruition. So, ultimately, this "VFM" box, is failing to reach the target audience which it was aiming for. Whatever utility this console had, at $299, was killed in it's track, when Sony announced a PS5 Digital for $399. For, $100 more, one gets a proper next-gen console, with no half-steps in between. But, "GaMEpASS EqUIvaLEnT???????" Well, see above about buying and playing habits of the masses. As, for one poster who's saying Series S shouldn't be compared to PS5 Digital since latter is a "marketing gimmick". First and foremost, lol. Second, PS5 Digital availability being super rare is working against your entire argument, you realize that? Because, despite lack of availability of a Digital PS5, folks aren't picking up it's alternative, in a "cheaper" all-digital Series S. Once, the production is normalized, it won't suddenly mean, Series S starts selling like hot cakes. If anything, the gap will only widen.

Microsoft, like Sony, should have taken the bath and build an all-digital Series X at $399. They are losing money hand over fist, with acquisitions, hardware, cloud etc. What's few hundred million dollars more to a corporation? But, now this meme machine has to be managed for next 8-9 years. Oh well!

Streaming man, where have you been?

Thanks for asking. I have been enjoying gaming actually, finished a lot of games, trying newer stuff.

Don't post as often on forum anymore, because there's very little worth discussing. Hardware discussion is what drew me to this forum in first place, and it's going pretty much like I expected. Not, a lot to work with on a forum. Opinions aren't going to be swayed, lol.

hlm666

Awesome, it's a long game? I think I must've assumed it would be a short fps experience, how scary is it? Not a fan of jumpscares, everything else I'm good with.

The man bat on batman arkham Knight was the most terrifying thing I've ever seen in a game due to how unexpected it was haha
Yeh as far as FPS campaigns go Exodus is on the longer end of the spectrum, there are a couple of open world areas with some side missions etc. There's a couple of places it can get tense but I didn't find it scarey. Although if that bat thing in arkham creeped you out there's a chance you might have a couple of similar moments here.

anthony2690

Banned
Yeh as far as FPS campaigns go Exodus is on the longer end of the spectrum, there are a couple of open world areas with some side missions etc. There's a couple of places it can get tense but I didn't find it scarey. Although if that bat thing in arkham creeped you out there's a chance you might have a couple of similar moments here.
Haha it was the sudden rooftop in my face moment, it was just so unexpected and made me jump out my skin XD.

It was my first batman game since the megadrive, I just assumed it would be a kids game at the time.

I ended up loving the game and being really surprised by how dark it was haha.

Creepy dark environments I'm all good with, it's just jump scares I don't like haha :)

Thank you for the response, it is appreciated :)

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The threads where people compare PS5 and XSX|XSS are comparison threads between the different platforms... so that type of discussion is the entire point of them.

However, we're in a thread where Digital Foundry are exclusively discussing Microsoft platforms, and comparing between the Windows, XSX and XSS versions of the game. Your justification for this "curiosity" comes across as "revenge trolling", because you're trying the "them too" approach when the PS5 simply isn't involved in the conversation. So, I guess I'll ask again: why are the folks "curious" about the XSS in an XSS thread the ones who don't own an XSS and have no intention of owning an XSS? I could also ask why is the "curiosity" almost exclusively pessimistic and latching on to the lowest resolution metric, but you've answered that with the "no different than" justification.
You're the same guy who took my post out of context the last time. If you keep taking my post out of context, then I'm not going to even bother to entertain your replies any further.

This was my reply in this thread.

"Why do you care so much?"

I should use this line when the same Xbox fans in this thread are always trying to deny that the PS5 is RDNA 2.

For months, Xbox fans have been in PlayStation threads talking about the performance of the PlayStation 5 that was not related to Xbox threads.

Examples:

Xbox fans go in PlayStation related threads and don't always post positive things about the performance of the title. Somehow this is acceptable, but as soon as someone mentions Xbox Series S performance, it's unacceptable and people should now stay "on their own side".

This is the point of my intention post. Don't pretend Xbox fans don't do exactly the same thing.

I could also ask why is the "curiosity" almost exclusively pessimistic and latching on to the lowest resolution metric, but you've answered that with the "no different than" justification.

You should've had this much energy every time Xbox fans went into PS threads, but you're only having a problem with it now. I didn't trash the Xbox One S console, I just posted a screenshot of Riky saying it will give the PS5 a run for its money. Xbox One S is not nearly as what was advertised and that's my only problem with it.

But like I said before. seem to have a problem with it now for obvious reasons. Its been happening for years and you're pretending like its not happening. There's nothing else to be said because right now you're just ignoring what's in plain sight.

Top Bottom