• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Exclusive - Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition: Xbox Series X|S DF Tech Review

KAL2006

Banned
Series S has caused alot of issues with QA costs and extra Dev time. Yes the early cross gen games can easily scale. Also games like Fortnite and Minecraft that are designed to also run on tablets will always work great on Series S and I'm sure we will get more new games that will target alot of wider audience with tablets.

But at this point I think that system is a mistake. Every TV now that is sold is 4K it's hard to even find a TV that's 1080p. The Series S is always readily available in the UK while Series X and PS5 is always sold out. People who are not bothered about graphics could have played their Fortnite and cross gen games on base Xbox One still. Hell now we have Xcloud and Streaming Stick coming that's another option.

Then the people who have bought a Series S the ones I know regret getting it and now have to deal with selling it off and upgrading to a Series X. The measly 500GB fills up so fast and buying a storage expansion pretty much makes it in the similar price range to a Series X. Just seems pointless to have this system around.

FlyyGOD

1. I didn’t mention anything about buying old consoles and 2. I think people mix up blind with casual. You think just because somebody is casual and just plays Warzone and Rocket League that they won’t be able to tell? Okay. Sure Jan. There are reasons for “casual gamers” (barf) to buy a Series S and reasons for non casuals as well but to act like they won’t even be able to tell their console outputs a shit image on their tv is daft.
All these system upscale the image quality. Most people don't live in the NEOGAF bizarro world we operate in.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I watched the video and he mentions the benefit of VRR and makes a plea with the devs to fix the hard double drops for those without it. Then he says there's instances in the game that push the GPU hard enough to drops frames even at 1080p. That means for a true 60fps+ they'd need to go even lower than 1080p on XSX.

Personally i'm mega impressed with what the devs have done here, it looks gorgeous on the series x played it last night, Will have a look at it on the s tonight in person. To be doing 60 fps with the quality of ray tracing on offer here on the series s though is absolutely crazy.
Even though it is low res a lot of the time and upscaled, on a smaller tv, in a kids bedroom or even on an old 720p tv which a lot of kids would have or perhaps a small monitor this game would look awesome.
Fair play if you have a large decent oled or qled you will want a series x or ps5 for to use with that telly, the series s is perfect as a secondary console or for the kids room.

I found this PS5 livestream of Metro Exodus and unless I am seeing this wrong the level loading of the "Winter" level only took 4 seconds. Can anyone say how long that section takes to load on the XSX? It is around 65 minutes into the stream.

Last edited:
I found this PS5 livestream of Metro Exodus and unless I am seeing this wrong the level loading of the "Winter" level only took 4 seconds. Can anyone say how long that section takes to load on the XSX? It is around 65 minutes into the stream.

Nevermind I guess about the level loading. It looks like Winter is a very small section and loads fast on both. I found that on the stream the Volga level took around 48 seconds on the PS5 and on a PC gameplay walkthrough on Youtube it showed around 34 seconds. I could not find the XSX video of the same section.

Neo_game

It could get discounted to $100-$150 4-5yrs later. Has potential to reach much bigger demographic. Not saying it will be successful but it has potential.

No idea why gamers against the idea. Would you rather have mobile take over?

As shown in this game, it doesn't affect Series X performance. So that theory is out of the window.

IMO 300$ was a bad idea to begin with. Had it been popular and selling like hot cakes it would be bad for console gaming. If they released an optional 700$ console I do not think people would be complaining.

PS: I know there are many happy SS owners like you (y)

Last edited:

Zathalus

Nevermind I guess about the level loading. It looks like Winter is a very small section and loads fast on both. I found that on the stream the Volga level took around 48 seconds on the PS5 and on a PC gameplay walkthrough on Youtube it showed around 34 seconds. I could not find the XSX video of the same section.
This, combined with the fact that the game is still using Software Tier 1 VRS leads me to believe the game is not as optimised as it could be on both systems.

A native PS5/Series X taking almost 50 seconds to load a level? When a regular 3.0 SSD can do it in 25 seconds? Thats ridiculous.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Personally i'm mega impressed with what the devs have done here, it looks gorgeous on the series x played it last night, Will have a look at it on the s tonight in person. To be doing 60 fps with the quality of ray tracing on offer here on the series s though is absolutely crazy.
Even though it is low res a lot of the time and upscaled, on a smaller tv, in a kids bedroom or even on an old 720p tv which a lot of kids would have or perhaps a small monitor this game would look awesome.
Fair play if you have a large decent oled or qled you will want a series x or ps5 for to use with that telly, the series s is perfect as a secondary console or for the kids room.

I thought the update wasn't live until tomorrow?

assurdum

Banned
The fuck is wrong about this engine? 48 seconds via SSD?

Connxtion

XSS sure makes some of you upset. Who gives a shit the resolution? Not the people who are buying one. It plays all the games still. 300$ is a lot of money to a lot of people and 400$ is not a possible amount of money to spend on video games for a lot of people. If you would rather save another hundred or 2 and get the better consoles, do that and stfu. Let poor people enjoy some fucking new games.

a084a92967ea5d8cba4be21cec5fa179.gif

KAL2006

Banned
XSS sure makes some of you upset. Who gives a shit the resolution? Not the people who are buying one. It plays all the games still. 300$ is a lot of money to a lot of people and 400$ is not a possible amount of money to spend on video games for a lot of people. If you would rather save another hundred or 2 and get the better consoles, do that and stfu. Let poor people enjoy some fucking new games.

Poor people could have continued to enjoy their games on Xbox One. Also Microsoft could have just made Series X Digital SKU that's cheaper.

I think the target audience for Series S is small and wasn't worth the extra dev time for developers having to make a Series S version. Series S sales are not good we are already having silly offers like trade your console in and pay £40 in the UK. Series S also doesn't have stick issues yet they have produced less Series S than X. It's obvious that it's not a very appealing system for many.

KAL2006

Banned
Why would anyone buy an old console at the end of its lifespan? You think a 10 year old or causal gamer cares about resolution? They only care about can they play the new version of games.

A 10 year old can play their Fortnite on a cheap tablet, a phone, One S, cheap laptop, PS4. The latest Call of Duty and Battlefield will be available on Xbox One and PS5. Maybe even the 2022 Call of Duty. Warzone will continue to be supported on Xbox One as well as Microsofts big exclusive Halo. By 2024 that 10 year old would be able to find a Series X Slim/PS5 Slim for cheaper. Or if they can't still afford those systems they can play on Xcloud. And guess what I bet by 2024 Fortnite will still be available and supported on Xbox One after all they are targeting cheap laptops and tablets anyways. The market for Series S is so small as shown by the amount of stock they can't shift.

Riky

$MSFT
So where he said what you claimed before?

"The Devs for this very game say they are using a last gen software version of VRS as it lacks the hardware support for this feature."

You should realize you are just trying to put a lot of works in a Dev that never said what you claim.
Read it, they updated the PS5 VRS from the software version on PS4, it's plain English.

ethomaz

Banned
Read it, they updated the PS5 VRS from the software version on PS4, it's plain English.
Yes and that is not what you claimed.

"The Devs for this very game say they are using a last gen software version of VRS as it lacks the hardware support for this feature."

You took a dev claim and added some FUD over it like usual.
In plain English the dev never said what you wrote.

We are still waiting your "proof" for what you said that the dev said.
if you have none then just stop spreading FUD.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Yes and that is not what you claimed.

You took a dev claim and added some FUD over it like usual.

Why would they use the old software version if they had access to hardware support for the same feature for free 😂

dcmk7

Banned
Another bet you lost.
The Devs for this very game say they are using a last gen software version of VRS as it lacks the hardware support for this feature.

Their tweet:

"We did simplify, we have our own VRS solution that was released in the original PS4 version and is updated for PS5"

By definition of 'updated' it's not the same bud.

And where is the smoking gun evidence for no HW?

I guess it's another bet you've lost.. somehow you have managed to disprove your own argument.

Dont see those too often!

You really are the NeoGaf jester.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The point was it's a software version clown, they can't use hardware support that doesn't exist.
That is your own twisted made up conclusion.

The dev never said that like the tweet proved... next time just says I believe the "Dev xxx didn't use that feature because the console X doesn't have it" and I should not even bother reading your post or correct it.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

A 10 year old can play their Fortnite on a cheap tablet, a phone, One S, cheap laptop, PS4. The latest Call of Duty and Battlefield will be available on Xbox One and PS5. Maybe even the 2022 Call of Duty. Warzone will continue to be supported on Xbox One as well as Microsofts big exclusive Halo. By 2024 that 10 year old would be able to find a Series X Slim/PS5 Slim for cheaper. Or if they can't still afford those systems they can play on Xcloud. And guess what I bet by 2024 Fortnite will still be available and supported on Xbox One after all they are targeting cheap laptops and tablets anyways. The market for Series S is so small as shown by the amount of stock they can't shift.

A phone, tablet, or cheap laptop aren't really up to the task properly. The Xbox one S is, but that assumes you own one. Xcloud might be viable, if you can keep the lag down.........if they have a good internet connection......
The market for S is not small. A compact yet reasonably powerful console (much better than PS4 or Xbox on S) at a lower price with some next gen features. It has sold well in North America, not sure where this magic "amount of stock they can't shift" comes from, even if units are on store shelves, you really have no idea how many are being sold.
Also from all accounts, it appears at least that millions have been sold so far, watch it fly even more when the price drops, the value/disparity between it and the more powerful consoles will increase.

THE DUCK

Series S has caused alot of issues with QA costs and extra Dev time. Yes the early cross gen games can easily scale. Also games like Fortnite and Minecraft that are designed to also run on tablets will always work great on Series S and I'm sure we will get more new games that will target alot of wider audience with tablets.

But at this point I think that system is a mistake. Every TV now that is sold is 4K it's hard to even find a TV that's 1080p. The Series S is always readily available in the UK while Series X and PS5 is always sold out. People who are not bothered about graphics could have played their Fortnite and cross gen games on base Xbox One still. Hell now we have Xcloud and Streaming Stick coming that's another option.

Then the people who have bought a Series S the ones I know regret getting it and now have to deal with selling it off and upgrading to a Series X. The measly 500GB fills up so fast and buying a storage expansion pretty much makes it in the similar price range to a Series X. Just seems pointless to have this system around.

It's clear you haven't read a most of the posts that owners of the system have made. Why would I sell my bedroom system with series S for an X? It's a 49" tv from 12 feet away (you can't see 4K on a tv this size from that distance, by the way), and I hardly ever play it.
Many others on this very forum have stated they are very happy with the S, like 9 out 10 kind of numbers.
The "people you know who bought an S"? What like one person?

I'm my opinion ray tracing is just a waste of resources maybe ski 3090 owners care about dark shadows behind doors but do we really care about those on consoles ? I honestly think the resources used should be used elsewhere

assurdum

Banned
The Devs said it on Twitter, there was a thread here about it, find it yourself.
The fuck it means an old generation of VRS? :messenger_tears_of_joy: They said to have their own solution, how do you know it's not improved for the next generation hardware? Or now we can start to say the new Forza Horizon uses an old generation of graphic reflections coded via software? How much clown you can be? Are you never tired about it?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

I'm my opinion ray tracing is just a waste of resources maybe ski 3090 owners care about dark shadows behind doors but do we really care about those on consoles ? I honestly think the resources used should be used elsewhere

I think I was sort of on the same page, but if you rewatch and look at those scenes the overall look is more realistic, in some scenes the difference is small, in others it started to matter a lot more. The jury is still deliberating......

assurdum

Banned
Digital Foundry stated that Exodus is using VRS Tier 1. Tier 2 is the new implementation and better quality. See Gears Tactics for an example.
Isn't it Tier 2 or Tier 2 the VRS relative to the hardware implementation of MS? I'm not so sure whether it's correct use it for the other VRS solution by different software house.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Isn't it Tier 2 or Tier 2 the VRS relative to the hardware implementation of MS? I'm not so sure whether it's correct use it for the other VRS solution by different software house.
I don't care to get into the minutia of all this shit. DF called it Tier 1 VRS, which is limited compared to Tier 2. I just wanted to clarify that portion.

As for whatever weird meta-discussion is going on, PS5 was stated as having a RDNA 2 GPU by AMD multiple times. RDNA 2 supports Tier 2 VRS. That's my take.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Let poor people enjoy some fucking new games.
A society is judged by how it treats its poor. Giving the poor an inferior experience and telling them to enjoy 512p games literally 16 years after you sold them a 720p console for $300 is pretty insulting. The Xbox 360 Arcade is the right way to go about selling these cheaper SKUs. Your cheaper audience gets an identical experience for cheap. And YOU, the multibillion dollar company, takes the loss instead of passing it on to the consumer in the form of severe downgrades.

Lets face it, MS isnt offering a $299 sku for poor people anymore than Sony is offering their $399 to be nice to poor America. They are both doing it because it's good business to have a cheaper console in the market. But in doing so, both companies are offering their consumers an inferior product. Sony with their $499 console justifying the $100 price tag with just an inclusion of a $20 disc drive while offering 20% fewer tflops and 20% fewer GBs of storage space than their competition. All the while undershipping the $399 version so that everyone is forced to buy the more expensive version. The pre-orders were literally only 20% Digital Edition.

Meanwhile, MS is offering inarguably the worst tflops to dollars ratio with their $299 console. Neither approach is admirable. It's not detestable either. But I really dont care for the insinuation that MS is doing their poor customers a favor with this console. They are both running a business making sure they pass the cost on to the customers. We are no longer in an era when Sony and MS were taking $100-200 losses per console in order to hit that $299 price point. Sony is literally about to sell this thing for a profit this summer. Clearly their BOM wasn't even close to $500, and they always aimed to have a $399 console with a $399 BOM. If the PS5 was a $499 BOM console, we wouldve gotten 12-14 tflops and 1TB SSDs for the extra $100.

And dont even get me started on Nintendo effectively handicapping arguably the best most iconic first party developers by forcing them to work on handheld specs for an entire generation just to chase that casual market. No one is out there looking out for the poor, just their bottom line.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned

You have lighting that behaves like one in real life (RT GI) vs standard games trickery. I prefer realistic lighting, thank you.

rapid32.5

it takes around 40 secs to load a new level and 4 secs after death on Series X.

A society is judged by how it treats its poor. Giving the poor an inferior experience and telling them to enjoy 512p games literally 16 years after you sold them a 720p console for $300 is pretty insulting. The Xbox 360 Arcade is the right way to go about selling these cheaper SKUs. Your cheaper audience gets an identical experience for cheap. And YOU, the multibillion dollar company, takes the loss instead of passing it on to the consumer in the form of severe downgrades.

Lets face it, MS isnt offering a $299 sku for poor people anymore than Sony is offering their $399 to be nice to poor America. They are both doing it because it's good business to have a cheaper console in the market. But in doing so, both companies are offering their consumers an inferior product. Sony with their $499 console justifying the $100 price tag with just an inclusion of a $20 disc drive while offering 20% fewer tflops and 20% fewer GBs of storage space than their competition. All the while undershipping the $399 version so that everyone is forced to buy the more expensive version. The pre-orders were literally only 20% Digital Edition.

Meanwhile, MS is offering inarguably the worst tflops to dollars ratio with their $299 console. Neither approach is admirable. It's not detestable either. But I really dont care for the insinuation that MS is doing their poor customers a favor with this console. They are both running a business making sure they pass the cost on to the customers. We are no longer in an era when Sony and MS were taking $100-200 losses per console in order to hit that $299 price point. Sony is literally about to sell this thing for a profit this summer. Clearly their BOM wasn't even close to $500, and they always aimed to have a $399 console with a $399 BOM. If the PS5 was a $499 BOM console, we wouldve gotten 12-14 tflops and 1TB SSDs for the extra $100.

And dont even get me started on Nintendo effectively handicapping arguably the best most iconic first party developers by forcing them to work on handheld specs for an entire generation just to chase that casual market. No one is out there looking out for the poor, just their bottom line.
This has nothing to do with giving the poor something but offering a wider audience of gamers an option if they don't want to drop more money. That is a good thing. It is not like there isn't a higher end device if a customer wants it. It's all just pure nonsense to argue that the XSS is somehow harming anything when it is doing things no device at its price point is doing. Comparing it to the Switch is laughable. This value box is doing things more expensive consoles aren't yet somehow its the XSS that can't reach the ever changing goal. No one complains about Nvidia making other video cards than just the RTX 3090 yet people, especially PlayStation only people are arguing that somehow the XSS is hurting their experience. It's a bad joke.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Funny how concerned sony fans are with the budget friendly series S, why does it matter to you? You're not the target audience for it.
It is the effect it has on my XSX, it is the reason seeing big budget cross generation titles on both consoles (XSX and PS5) is not the most pleasing thing I can think of. It sets a minimum specs bar for XSX or it is left to its own devices and thus a bit behind (min 540p resolution, lower draw distance, pop-in, etc… same experience? 🤔). The generation just started too.

This is so getting replaced by a mid generation update and it is not meant to live as is as a supported target for more than 2-3 years tops… it just has to…

Some raw footage for Series S version. Looks nice.

It is the effect it has on my XSX, it is the reason seeing big budget cross generation titles on both consoles (XSX and PS5) is not the most pleasing thing I can think of. It sets a minimum specs bar for XSX or it is left to its own devices and thus a bit behind (min 540p resolution, lower draw distance, pop-in, etc… same experience? 🤔). The generation just started too.

This is so getting replaced by a mid generation update and it is not meant to live as is as a supported target for more than 2-3 years tops… it just has to…

How was Series x version held back in this game?

Last edited:

Some raw footage for Series S version. Looks nice.

How was Series x version held back in this game?

Excellent question. Also how is the XSS holding things back when all these games are on PC? Metro is on PC right now. Do people honestly believe this game was impacted by the XSS? Do people think all PCs out there have superior specs to the XSS? I am starting to believe some of these guys really think the XSS and Switch have the same performance.

Top Bottom