• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Exclusive - Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition: Xbox Series X|S DF Tech Review

Ah yes back to the pc spec debunked narrative, you do realise every new generation of consoles, the new console specifications raises the minimum specifications requirements on PC going forward, 3-4 years from now when cross generation is done, that’s when we will see how bad the series s is on game development & what the lowest common dominator does. Every narrative about the system has been proven worse than before, first it was it’s just 1440p box for cheap… wrong it’s sub hd in 2021 with a lot of games, easy to develop just flip a switch and it scales…wrong requires significant work by developers with half the development community hating it (universally a bad thing), it’s the same as a series x just at 1080p… wrong has missing graphics features and struggles with raytracing cause of its low memory bandwidth & split pool of memory, it will expand the Xbox audience… wrong still getting outsold over 2-1 every week by the ps5 and the series s is sitting on store selves all over Asia & europe. It’s an awfully weak system to shackle the generation and the only defenders are the usuals who still the think the Xbox series s will perform better than the PS5.
Do you own the console? Why should we take your word over someone who actually has the device? All the negativity is coming from the sidelines. The only thing 'weak' about the device is the GPU and that is by design. The CPU, SSD and features are the same as XSX and to think all PCs out there will outperform it is just more fanboy nonsense. The system is a fantastic value for its target audience and you can't get better performance for the price.

1440p, remember!

You are just picking on the output resolution, the xbox one x output 4k (and MS strongly implied it would play at 4k), the Series S has 4K output too. This is different than selling a performance target for gaming on your marketing material as the expectation.

zE6hN2h.png

Stating 4K is the max theoretical resolution, just like 12 or 10Tf for the GPU is a max theoretical performance, like Storage size is given before formatting, etc. there are reasons for it, picking a random resolution and calling it "performance target" is tricking people into thinking that's what they will get in games (even DF reacted to this announce as "surprising" given the specs, they assumed that there would be some secret RDNA2 sauce in the machine, that it was better than expected, etc.).
Based on your own example there is nothing on that spec sheet to indicate that the XSS would run at 1440p at all times while the XSX at 4k is a 'theoretical maximum'. This is yet another example of cherry picking a spec and holding the XSS to a standard higher SPECED more expensive consoles are not. THE DUCK THE DUCK made this point and never got a good response from the naysayers. SOME games run at 4k on the XSX SOME games run at 1440p on the XSS. That is a FACT. No company can promise all games on their platform will run a specific way when there are literally millions of variables that can affect performance.

NONE of the the 4k consoles run at a native 4k/60 fps in this specific game. PS5 is at 1500p and XSX is 1700p. No is saying those systems were deceptively marketed though. Yet for some reason the XSS stands alone as being a problem. Again it is crazy to me to see the CHEAPEST console doing things more expensive consoles don't being held to an imaginary impossible standard but the most expensive ones are given a pass. It's ridiculous.

THE DUCK THE DUCK made this point and never got a good response from the naysayers. SOME games run at 4k on the XSX SOME games run at 1440p on the XSS. That is a FACT. No company can promise all games on their platform will run a specific way when there are literally millions of variables that can affect performance.
Why not put 4k then? the xss outputs 4k too.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Regardless of what MS said it's a console meant for 1080p screens just like XSX and PS5 are for 4K screens, and that's what you'd expect from it's hardware. Of course there are exceptions: Ori 2 is 4K/60fps, DOOM Eternal will be 1440p/60fps in Balanced Mode, etc.

If you look at the box for XSS it doesn't say anything about resolution. It actually headlines 120FPS, Velocity Architecture, and SSD. Then mentions of VRR, HDR, Dolby Atmos, DTS, and the disc-free logo. And XSS can make a strong claim to being just that: a 120fps console with SSD, VRR, and HDR support. I just bought one for my son's birthday and I'm looking for a good deal on 1080p/120fps(or higher) monitor. He plays at a little desk in his room. 22"-24" monitor is plenty and XSX would be totally overkill.

I'm looking forward to trying Exodus on a smaller 1080p screen to draw my own conclusions.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Console makers promoting resolution is simply them promoting the hardware's max spec. Not that every piece of software automatically is made at that spec. Only way that can happen is if the hardware can somehow automate all games to be native 4k or MS/Sony force devs to make games native 4k or else it doesn't get released.

If you buy an audio system and it says Dolby Atmos, it doesn't mean every movie, game or song is coded to sound awesome using Dolby Atmos.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Console makers promoting resolution is simply them promoting the hardware's max spec. Not that every piece of software automatically is made at that spec. Only way that can happen is if the hardware can somehow automate all games to be native 4k or MS/Sony force devs to make games native 4k or else it doesn't get released.

If you buy an audio system and it says Dolby Atmos, it doesn't mean every movie, game or song is coded to sound awesome using Dolby A
I understand this and I suspect most people on here do. But some folk will use it as ammo against the system they didn't choose.

MadViking

1440p, remember!

You are just picking on the output resolution, the xbox one x output 4k (and MS strongly implied it would play at 4k), the Series S has 4K output too. This is different than selling a performance target for gaming on your marketing material as the expectation.

zE6hN2h.png

Stating 4K is the max theoretical resolution, just like 12 or 10Tf for the GPU is a max theoretical performance, like Storage size is given before formatting, etc. there are reasons for it, picking a random resolution and calling it "performance target" is tricking people into thinking that's what they will get in games (even DF reacted to this announce as "surprising" given the specs, they assumed that there would be some secret RDNA2 sauce in the machine, that it was better than expected, etc.).
Returnal renders at 1080p, doesn't that bother you?

That is your own twisted made up conclusion.

The dev never said that like the tweet proved... next time just says I believe the "Dev xxx didn't use that feature because the console X doesn't have it" and I should not even bother reading your post or correct it.
I'm not saying Riky is right but you never come off well in any discussion, you're almost always wrong. Remember the twitter discussion you had with an Xbox engineer? 😂 And just recently I put you in your place over Raytracing and what form is more performance intensive. Just let it go my friend as the law of averages says you're probably wrong 😀

Series S should just drop RT entirely. This is getting embarrassing at this point. I don't get why people are lauding the SeS for running RT at 60. That's like lauding a gaming potato for running ultra settings at 720p. Yeah, the settings are cranked and all, but its still fucking 720p. 1440p console my ass...
The PS5 ain't doing to hot in this game for resolution either, goes below 1080p for your information, is that OK though?

The worst part of the console and the real issue that is likely to affect future titles as the baseline is the memory.
Are you going to stick with that answer? I've seen all sorts of reasons why the XSS is a problem. How does the lower memory in the XSS cause issues for the XSX and PS5? Both of those systems have MORE memory right? Wouldn't that be an issue for the XSS? The memory issue specifically can be addressed with SFS and VA and those features aren't used on cross generational titles. Do you know what the biggest user of console memory is? Here's a hint it has to do with graphics and in this case the XSS, running at lower resolutions, needs less of that memory. Do you think graphics scale up? You think a developer will take a 1080p texture and blow it up to 4k for the higher resolution consoles? Let's see how Flight Simulator, a game not on the X1, looks on the XSS and make a determination on how much the XSS is affecting the generation.

Why not put 4k then? the xss outputs 4k too.
The XSS was never marketed as a 4k gaming console. The XSX and PS5 are. Have you ever called out Sony for marketing the PS5 as a 4k console but we have a game here that does not run at a native 4k? I assume you have no problem calling out MS since you are all over the XSS. You should keep the same energy with Sony.

Returnal renders at 1080p, doesn't that bother you?
I'd love to know this answer too. Why is the budget XSS targeted for major scrutiny but other consoles that are MORE expensive get a pass? So strange!

So, XSX also ain't doing hot because it drops to 1080p which is also XSS resolution in this game.
So maybe the issue is with the game over the XSS. Looks like you guys need to direct your ire to the developers then. Don't forget the PS5 had black crush issues too so there is plenty to be upset about. The XSS is the least of the problems.

elliot5

I wish people thinking XSS will hold anything back will refer to the Horizon 5 trailer and recognize that the minimum spec is an Intel 750 and like a R7 250x or 650ti . Yes it's a crossgen Xbox one title, but I mean..... Look at the scalability.

Even if XSS becomes the baseline for PC the results will be amazing.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
How does this play with mouse and keybar versus the controller? Does it improve the sluggish feeling people often refer to?

Kenpachii

Should not have gone for RT, clearly those boxes can't handle it even remotely. Should have maxed out the settings and drop to 1440p on x, and 1080p on S and call it a day.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Should not have gone for RT, clearly those boxes can't handle it even remotely. Should have maxed out the settings and drop to 1440p on x, and 1080p on S and call it a day.
Or or at least give us the option to select what you suggest.

JackMcGunns

Who cares that's not long at all, make a cup of tea or something 👍

I’m not complaining at all, it’s the opposite, I was replying to someone that thought 44 seconds was too much, and he was wondering if the PS5 could improve upon that loading time, but it turns that section actually takes longer lol

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The current gen upgrade for Metro Exodus is finally out now for the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. To recap, Metro Exodus was a stellar looking game on PS4 Pro, Xbox One X and especially on the PC, employing best in class physical based rendering and high end ray tracing techniques on the PC version. They followed it up with an enhanced version for the PC build about a month ago, and now here we are with the upgraded version for PS5 and Xbox Series X consoles.

So how does the game perform on the current generation of consoles? Let us find out. Before we move forward, note that we analysed the performance by taking some sample scenes from the game and running it through trdrop, an open source software. Note that this tool gives us a mere demonstration of the game’s performance, because an exact 1:1 representation of performance can only be provided by the developers themselves since they have access to a vast array of tools and profilers.

Back on the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, the game ran at a native 4K resolution 1440p resolution respectively. The game targeted 30 frames per second on both consoles and largely delivered it on that front. However, things are a tad different on current gen consoles. None of the current gen consoles runs this game at locked 4K resolution, instead what we get is a dynamic resolution for both, with Xbox Series X edging out the PS5 in that department. Regardless, both versions use temporal reconstruction and the results are stellar.

We need to consider the fact that this approach opens the door for even more graphical features. First, We get an excellent and smooth, 60 frames per second target buffer. In the scenes we tested, both versions largely stick to that target. Furthermore, both versions now have ray traced reflections and shadows, and a massive overhaul in how lighting is handled. Overall, this is a huge bump over last gen consoles, and by the way this upgrade is free for existing owners of Metro Exodus. One could easily sell this as a remaster, so credit has to be given to 4A games for following a consumer friendly policy. We will leave you with more frame rate tests and comparisons, so check them out and let us know your thoughts in the comments section below. Also, let us know what game you want us to test next.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
bump.
How is the Dualsense support on this? Worth a replay?

I am replaying Exodus every year since it came out. I did finished the new RT edition this year when it came out on pc.
I am wondering how is ps5 version, dualsense and playing with a controller. These work on pc too I've heard but maybe I would like to finally own a physical version of this game too.

Some thought on the game itself:
I think this game is to metro games as good as witcher 3 was to witcher 1 and 2.
I replayed all 3 games in 2021(all on pc, first two redux versions) and the first two games do not hold up too well. They are fine but nothing I will replay ever again probably.
Now Exodus is just something else. The pacing of adventure through the whole year, faces finally look human, gunplay feels really satisfying (fuck good ending) and characters/story deliver.
Of course the game is VERY flawed. Characters never fucking stop talking. You only walk near them and they all start talking... and they always have something to say... they never shut up.
That and the very heavy onstant interact animations. Every time you open, crawl, walk through a gap, a clunky animation with terrible sound design plays.

But despite that, I find myself wanting to replay this game every now and then which is surprising. It is for sure more than sum of it's parts.
Also, I got 2070 for that game right after I finished it on 1060. Then when rt version came out, I finished it on 3080. Now maybe dualsense is another reason. Always a reason to replay this !!!

I also realize that there are no games like that at all.

Top Bottom