• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: F1 2022 - Digital Foundry Tech Review - PS5 vs PC vs Xbox Series X/ Xbox Series S

Topher

Gold Member
No, he's just being one of those "bu bu bu it has more Tflop so any game that doesn't perform better means Cerny is a genius" dorks.

Didn't you know? Cerny gets a bonus check every time PS5 wins/draws on Digital Foundry.

6luxkz.jpg

Md Ray

Those extra green CUs doing the ray tracing work .. gonna happen more in the future .. sounds cool, maybe I’ll buy .
There's even more extra green and red CUs on PC. Why is RT reflections same as PS5 there?

Seriously, Series S has it, but PC doesn't? It doesn't make any sense. This should tell you that it's a bug on both PC and PS5.

Last edited:

Banned
Skimmed through because Tom. Did they really only show 2 seconds of the 120fps test?

the bigger question is, why didn't he have the resolution data for that mode? is it still dynamic 4k? I doubt it

the framerate stuff seems to be very boring, in the heaviest load the worst that happens is a bit of tearing on SX but not fps drops

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No, he's just being one of those "bu bu bu it has more Tflop so any game that doesn't perform better means Cerny is a genius" dorks.
That is Donald Rumsfeld impressive level of turning the conversation around / strawmanning.

RDNA1.5, throttled clocks, clocks not making a difference in the shared HW, waiting for the tools, etc… nope, cannot give the team behind it and the lead architect props for arguably their fourth top rate HW design in a row…

ClosBSAS

F1 2022 manager looks so much better. Codemasters just don't get it when it comes to graphics. They are so outdated.

There's even more extra green and red CUs on PC. Why is RT reflections same as PS5 there?

Seriously, Series S has it, but PC doesn't? It doesn't make any sense. This should tell you that it's a bug on both PC and PS5.
PC has RT. Someone said it didn't for some reason and everyone just ran with it.
Edit my bad heard wrong the first time

Last edited:

Lysandros

No, whenever PS5 lacks something it's always the hardware. In contrast, when the same happens on XSX it's always bugs/tools or bad weather. Don't you know already? And do not even dare to mention games with RT performing on PS5, that's a complete blasphemy punishable by law.

No, whenever PS5 lacks something it's always the hardware. In contrast, when the same happens on XSX it's always bugs/tools or bad weather. Don't you know already? And do not even dare to mention games with RT performing on PS5, that's a complete blasphemy punishable by law.

Are we bringing up the guy that called Cerny a liar?

LOL

DaGwaphics

Just a little FYI.

Game Pass Ultimate and EA Play subscribers can play a free 10hr trial for this game.

Should be enough to get a good amount of enjoyment out of it, if you don't plan to purchase it.

Forgot this was an EA title, I'll have to try it out.

Banned
Huh? Dynamic resolution is... dynamic. I may not get the exact same pixel counts as you as there are so many variables. It will vary from track to track, level to level, etc. Just because NXG's pixel count doesn't line-up with VGT or DF's results does not mean he's giving you wrong resolution data.

I'm specifically talking about the next gen Resi patches that all run VERY OBVIOUSLY with the use of checkerboard rendering. the night the new versions came out even I posted a few images and pointed out how obvious the checkerboard artifacts are lol
and then I saw his video and he says he sees no signs of CBR... and I was watching that video like
Animated GIF

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'm specifically talking about the next gen Resi patches that all run VERY OBVIOUSLY with the use of checkerboard rendering. the night the new versions came out even I posted a few images and pointed out how obvious the checkerboard artifacts are lol
and then I saw his video and he says he sees no signs of CBR... and I was watching that video like
Animated GIF

People have had similar reactions to Digital Foundry as well from time to time.

Banned
People have had similar reactions to Digital Foundry as well from time to time.

yeah but that one really was kinda weird to me. it's one thing to miss a dynamic res or have different values for the ones found... but missing extremely on the nose combing artifacts was very weird to me

Topher

Gold Member
yeah but that one really was kinda weird to me. it's one thing to miss a dynamic res or have different values for the ones found... but missing extremely on the nose combing artifacts was very weird to me

Well it isn't as if DF was firm about it either.

"PlayStation 5 and both Xbox Series consoles receive the RT upgrades, with the more powerful machines targeting what presents like a checkerboarded 2160p,"

Saying it "presents like" isn't saying for certain that it is. Whereas NXGamer said he doesn't "believe" it does. He is hardly emphatic about it.

Even VG Tech says the games "appear use a form of checkerboard rendering".

So they have different uncertain conclusions. Ultimately, this highlights to me the fact that these analysts are not 100% correct all the time and it shouldn't be controversial if their analysis do not line completely in every instance.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

"PlayStation 5 and both Xbox Series consoles receive the RT upgrades, with the more powerful machines targeting what presents like a checkerboarded 2160p,"

Saying it "presents like" isn't saying for certain that it is. Whereas NXGamer said he doesn't "believe" it does. He is hardly emphatic about it.

Even VG Tech says the games "appear use a form of checkerboard rendering".

So they have different uncertain conclusions. Ultimately, this highlights to me the fact that these analysts are not 100% correct all the time and it shouldn't be controversial if their analysis do not line completely in every instance.

Of course, there's no definitive one, they all present their findings. That's why the DRS limits are often different in all three, as they may have noticed different levels of drops in their respective testing runs.

It's an entirely thankless job lol, none of them deserve the kind of bullshit they often get on forums.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...one-x-offers-a-big-leap-over-standard-console
In our original analysis of the PS4 Pro edition, Capcom told us that the game rendered at 2240x1260, with additional lighting enhancements. Since then we've heard reports of a different number being used on Pro's 4K output mode. YouTube channel VG Tech in particular dissected the most recent patch 1.06 on PS4 Pro, finding a 3200x1800 resolution with what they believe to be checkerboard rendering.

We've approached Capcom for clarification and will update should a response arrive, but those stats hold up in our tests, which also suggest 1800p rendering - though there's a big question mark over the use of checkerboard rendering. The fact is that the stippling artefacts you'd associate with this technique are very well hidden behind the game's waves of post effects. In motion, the signs just aren't there; but it would explain how such a jump from 1260p is possible, if true. Checkerboarding or not, the good news is PS4 Pro's results are visibly upgraded next to a regular PS4's 1080p, and it's a good mode to have available if you own a 4K TV.
VG Tech > DF.

Banned

Saying it "presents like" isn't saying for certain that it is.

they always say that. because scientifically they can't say it is CBR without confirmation from the devs.
they always say "appears to be" or something of the sort even when it's super obvious (which it was in this case, like REALLY obvious)

Last edited:
My goodness this game looks embarrassingly dated when put against FM8 or FH5 and others.

And LOL at not so subtle appeasement at 11:40 . Spoiler for those who didn't watch the video: consoles doesn't have RT during gameplay

Topher

Gold Member
they always say that. because scientifically they can't say it is CBR without confirmation from the devs.
they always say "appears to be" or something of the sort even when it's super obvious (which it was in this case, like REALLY obvious)

This isn't a scientific research paper or study. These are youtube channels about video games. They can say whatever they want however they want. If they say something "appears to be" then that means they simply are not sure. And it is really easy to say something is "obvious" after the fact.

Banned
This isn't a scientific research paper or study. These are youtube channels about video games. They can say whatever they want however they want. If they say something "appears to be" then that means they simply are not sure. And it is really easy to say something is "obvious" after the fact.

they mainly do it to avoid twitter retards and some on this very forum to be stupid idiots and harass them if they get the smallest thing wrong.

RE CLEARLY uses cbr, anyone with 2 working eyes can see that if you know what to look for

Last edited:

Banned
To avoid responses like...

200.gif
?

no, more extreme ones and more fanboy shit usually. I just was kinda perplexed is all, because it was SO OBVIOUSLY CBR... like... plz

as soon as DF gets the tiniest bit wrong the tinfoil hat brigade on this forum and on twitter comes out and unloads their mental diarrhea, hence "appears to use" and "seems to be" are used

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
With a couple of patches this will be perfect and identical on both. Sort the raytracing out on ps5 and those strange graphical bugs and tighten up that 120fps on series x but to be honest, if you have a 120fps TV you should surely have VRR?

Last edited:

Filben

I'm not sure if you'd notice RT in-game when going through Copse with +200kmh so I think it's the right call, as in GT7, to make RT replay exclusive.

As for the performance this seems good! Now I'm waiting until CM releases their average of 10 patches, which seems much more needed in this one, given the Steam reviews and many many bugs, and I'm in.

Owned every F1 game since 2010 and this is the first I'm not getting day one.

Will probably get the PS5 version. F1 21 had DualSense support on PC, but only when connected with wire. I also think of the Splitscreen that's a bit easier to set up on console than on PC (I'd have to mix Xbox One controller and a PS4/5 controller and I don't like to think about the stuff I've to do to make it work on my setup).

And, at $399.99 + applicable taxes/shipping, the PS5 digital edition is showing it’s dollar-to-performance ratio can’t be beat.

rnlval

- Dynamic 4K on PS5 and Series X and dynamic 1080p on Series S. There's a moment where Series X and S show RT reflections whereas on PC (maxed out) and PS5 the reflections seem to be SSR, so it looks like a bug for selected platforms. With that exception, RT seems to work in the same way on Series S/X and PS5. As for other settings, PS5 has a glitch that, adds a multicolor artifact under cars, and that's all, the rest of the settings seem identical.

- Performance is perfect 60 fps on Series X/S and PS5 even at peak stress points.

- PS5 and Series X have a performance mode (120 fps). PS5 is rock solid 120 fps typically v-synced even in the more demanding scenes. Series X seems to have more issues in keeping v-sinc, while still holding to 120 fps near constantly there's regular signs of screen tearing.

For PC context, from https://www.pcgamer.com/f1-22-performance-ray-tracing/

vLydCaY.png

noG3OGw.png

RTX 3080 12 GB, RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB, RTX 3090 24 GB and RTX 3090 Ti 24 GB are higher tier GA102-based SKUs when compared to bottom GA102 based RTX 3080 10 GB.

AIB out-of-the-box overclocked NVIDIA GA102-based GPUs can do 4K with medium RT at an average of 60 fps and beyond.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
For PC context, from https://www.pcgamer.com/f1-22-performance-ray-tracing/

vLydCaY.png

noG3OGw.png

RTX 3080 Ti, RTX 3090 and RTX 3090 Ti are faster GA102-based SKUs.

AIB out-of-the-box overclocked NVIDIA GA102-based GPUs can do 4K with medium RT at an average of 60 fps and beyond.

Wow, RT eats up performance like Chrome eats RAM.

Looking at this I'm glad they didn't even bother trying to add RT during game play on consoles in this case lol.

Last edited:

rnlval

Looking at this I'm glad they didn't even bother trying to add RT during game play on consoles in this case lol.

On RTX 3090 Ti with 4K resolution, ultra detail, and high RT settings.

NVIDIA RTX has DLSS.

Last edited:

yamaci17

well, its maxed out settings, which you can always tweak (raster based settings)
you can find a happy middle ground between high-med rt settings, which is again, very feasible. seems like there's a specific RT setting that tanks the performance
and then again, there's practically no reasons not to use DLSS at 4K, dlss quality tends to be actually tad bit better than native 4k. its a warranted %40-70 boost depending on how compute heavy the game is.

so in the end, even a rtx 3070 probably get away with 4k+dlssquality+optimized raster+rt settings at a locked 60 frames

do not judge performance based on maxed out settings, they're meant for nextgen devices (even then, they might provide diminishing improvements)

don't caught up with the moniker of "ultra maxed out" settings, even if you have a 3080, sometimes you just have to be humble and accept compromises. it may be expensive, but its not providing unlimited power to you. it has its limits, nothing has been promised beyond that

i will give the game a go with my 3070 with ea play trial. will probably find a 4k dlss quality rt config that provides locked 60 fps experience

Last edited:

Banned
Same with NXG

that's not the point tho. the point is that noone is infallible and noone can be held up as the one source to look forward to, as we saw him not noticing CBR in a game where it's really obvious for one, and in a game where given the hardware power and given the history of thr series it was almost impossible that it's running without CBR.

so leaving a comment, clearly because the data provided by DF doesn't suit a certain agenda, to wait for NXG's video, is fucking hilarious to me given this recent example of him getting something wrong in a big way

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
that's not the point tho. the point is that noone is infallible and noone can be held up as the one source to look forward to, as we saw him not noticing CBR in a game where it's really obvious for one, and in a game where given the hardware power and given the history of thr series it was almost impossible that it's running without CBR.

so leaving a comment, clearly because the data provided by DF doesn't suit a certain agenda, to wait for NXG's video, is fucking hilarious to me.

No, the point you just made is folks shitting on DF for making any mistake while you are shitting on NXG for making a mistake. The only one out of DF, NXG, VG Tech and you saying CBR is obvious is you.

hlm666

well, its maxed out settings, which you can always tweak (raster based settings)
you can find a happy middle ground between high-med rt settings, which is again, very feasible. seems like there's a specific RT setting that tanks the performance
and then again, there's practically no reasons not to use DLSS at 4K, dlss quality tends to be actually tad bit better than native 4k. its a warranted %40-70 boost depending on how compute heavy the game is.

so in the end, even a rtx 3070 probably get away with 4k+dlssquality+optimized raster+rt settings at a locked 60 frames

do not judge performance based on maxed out settings, they're meant for nextgen devices (even then, they might provide diminishing improvements)

don't caught up with the moniker of "ultra maxed out" settings, even if you have a 3080, sometimes you just have to be humble and accept compromises. it may be expensive, but its not providing unlimited power to you. it has its limits, nothing has been promised beyond that

i will give the game a go with my 3070 with ea play trial. will probably find a 4k dlss quality rt config that provides locked 60 fps experience
The 3070 in the video posted above is doing 1440p at around 60fps in the heaviest part (100fps when the cars spread out) without dlss at ultra settings with high RT. So I don't think your going to have do much to get 4k dlss quality locked. I wonder if the RT quality settings are number of rays used or RT resolution like full/half/quarter.

The ultra RT setting definitely looks like it's something intended for the gpus on the horizon like you said.

Banned
No, the point you just made is folks shitting on DF for making any mistake while you are shitting on NXG for making a mistake. The only one out of DF, NXG, VG Tech and you saying CBR is obvious is you.

if you are actually still intellectually dishonest here and suggest that DF using "appears to be CBR" means tha it's not obvious then kindly fuck off. they literally do this with every single game no matter how obvious it is. I bet if Rocket League on PS4 Pro would release today and the devs didn't give res info to them they would say "appears to use CBR" even tho you can't get more obvious CBR than in Rocket League as the devs do next to nothing to hide it.

if you actually believe it's not obvious then you clearly don't know how CBR artifacts manifest themselves and you also don't know the hardware power provided by the current consoles, as they would not be able to provide the graphical fidelity + a native 4k at the same time at the framerates they are running at.
if you actually believe that games that run on the same engine as RE8 (which uses 4k CBR) and use the same graphical features could run at native 4K60 with RT or at Native 4K120fps then you should wake up already

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
if you are actually still intellectually dishonest here and suggest that DF using "appears to be CBR" means tha it's not obvious then kindly fuck off.

"A form of image reconstruction, possibly checkerboarding, seems to be in use here"

Timestamped.

DF says "possibly" and you say it is "obvious".

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Last edited:
Top Bottom