• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Forza Horizon 5 Tech Analysis: An Xbox Series X Masterpiece

eNT1TY

So sad my ultrawide had to get shipped out for warranty services and LG is notoriously slow. Played Horizon 4 that way and going back to 16:9 feels a bit different.

Kagey K

Banned
Where are those noticeable differences? I just compared a few of those Xbox One X 30fps vs XSX 60fps comparisons and I can't see any noticeable differences between both. Like DF stated they seem to be very similar.

Are you sure you are not mistaking the versions (as there are so much)?
The Office Eating GIF

Disappointed Immigrants GIF by South Park
Si Se Puede Viva Mexico GIF by Super Chola ™

It looks nice but i’m not blown away as it’s obviously cross gen. But considering it’s open world and cross gen on 4 xbox machines and PC, playground has knocked it out of the park. Can’t wait until they’re series consoles only.

Will be a real treat on PC at 4k max at 120fps.

Shmunter

I’m still puzzled why MSAA in 2021 like it’s 2005. It’s not free right, probably costs more than modern temporal solutions while covering less. This one thing clearly discloses this is still a last gen engine with baggage from even the prior gen.

This is a good thing as the upside is that there is loads of room for things to get even better.

Peterthumpa

Game is an aliased mess (at 1440p), might look good when you play on a TV at 3m away sitting on a couch but on PC at 1m or less from a monitor not even 8xAA plus the transparency AA "trick" via driver settings on Nvidia hardware does the trick. Vegetation pop-in while driving is very noticiable as well, even with all settings maxed. Also, audio sounds like it's detecting that I have a 5.1 system, it doesn't sound like proper stereo.

Yeah, the game looks good but release after release the engine flaws are more and more visible. This amount of aliasing in 2021 (almost 2022) is kind of a joke, here's hoping Alex will mention that in DF's PC video.

Last edited:

twilo99

this needs a 1440p mode with 60fps target and max settings.

They could probably even do 1440p with mid settings but it might get too confusing with too made different quality pre-sets for most people. The way the x runs this, 1440p shouldn't be a problem.

Game is an aliased mess (at 1440p), might look good when you play on a TV at 3m away sitting on a couch but on PC at 1m or less from a monitor not even 8xAA plus the transparency AA "trick" via driver settings on Nvidia hardware does the trick. Vegetation pop-in while driving is very noticiable as well, even with all settings maxed. Also, audio sounds like it's detecting that I have a 5.1 system, it doesn't sound like proper stereo.

Yeah, the game looks good but release after release the engine flaws are more and more visible. This amount of aliasing in 2021 (almost 2022) is kind of a joke, here's hoping Alex will mention that in DF's PC video.
Play a wii game then go back to 1440p plus 8xmsaa xD Or maybe you just prefer the vaseline option ; taa.

I love the pristine look of msaa but smaa 1x would be a nice clean cheap option to save performance.

The solution for you is to get a better gpu and or 4k monitor (even though monitors are severely overpriced and worse than tvs)

Peterthumpa

Play a wii game then go back to 1440p plus 8xmsaa xD Or maybe you just prefer the vaseline option ; taa.

I love the pristine look of msaa but smaa 1x would be a nice clean cheap option to save performance.

The solution for you is to get a better gpu and or 4k monitor (even though monitors are severely overpriced and worse than tvs)
There are several temporal solutions out there that don't look like shit, do you research. This meme that "TAA is like vaseline" is getting old now, well implemented TAA solutions are amazing. In fact, DLSS can't even work without TAA and temporal information.

I'm pushing almost 4K in pixels already as I'm playing in a 32:9 screen (5120x1440), I said 1440 as pixel density is similar to 1440p but obviously requires much more power.

I also haven't complained about performance, but even if I did I wonder what GPU is better than a 3090 today, as that's what I have. And I don't want to use DSR because it sucks, and Forza again doesn't have a resolution scaling option (which was present in Forza Motorsport 7).

Last edited:
There are several temporal solutions out there that don't look like shit, do you research. This meme that "TAA is like vaseline" is getting old now, well implemented TAA solutions are amazing. In fact, DLSS can't even work without TAA and temporal information.

I'm pushing almost 4K in pixels already as I'm playing in a 32:9 screen (5120x1440), I said 1440 as pixel density is similar to 1440p but obviously requires much more power.

I also haven't complained about performance, but even if I did I wonder what GPU is better than a 3090 today, as that's what I have. And I don't want to use DSR because it sucks, and Forza again doesn't have a resolution scaling option (which was present in Forza Motorsport 7).
Most taa is blurry crap. Exceptions i’ve seen are slim. Insomniac’s is the best.

Unreal 4 is not good taa. Play at 1080p and it is horribly blurry. Just cause 4 was even worse.

Uncharted 4 had ghosting.

Even dlss has to use sharpening to “fix” the temporal blur it causes. Also your ultrawide is no better in terms of ppi than 16x9.

Last edited:

CheeseCake

Weren't you just a week ago ragging on PC players for being so thirsty for Sony games and in general. This week you whipped a 3070 rig out your ass and pulled a complete 180 though

I'm so glad I'm fully switching to PC. Never having to deal with 30fps ever again is the best thing ever.

Read Back To School GIF by INTO ACTION

I pulled a good 3070 rig out of a good deal, yeah. Also, unlike you, I already played most Playstation games. I won't be "begging" for them since there are other types of games on PC I'm interested in that are not available on console.

Anyway, enjoy your console experience mate! :)

Last edited:

Peterthumpa

Most taa is blurry crap. Exceptions i’ve seen are slim. Insomniac’s is the best.

Unreal 4 is not good taa. Play at 1080p and it is horribly blurry. Just cause 4 was even worse.

Uncharted 4 had ghosting.

Even dlss has to use sharpening to “fix” the temporal blur it causes. Also your ultrawide is no better in terms of ppi than 16x9.
You don’t know what you’re talking about. “16x9” is an aspect ratio, not a resolution. PPI wise, my display is exactly like a 1440 panel.

DaGwaphics

Where are those noticeable differences? I just compared a few of those Xbox One X 30fps vs XSX 60fps comparisons and I can't see any noticeable differences between both. Like DF stated they seem to be very similar.

No. There are clear differences, IMO. The most obvious is the sand/smoke/mist that is completely missing from 1X in a few spots (these appear to be cut in fps mode on XSS also). There are differences to the lighting on the car. Differences in the filtering on the street. Differences in foliage density and detail in certain areas. Differences in reflections. They aren't light years apart, but definitely not 1:1.

I guess one could argue that maybe the capture devices weren't the same etc. The sand blowing across the street is definitely missing on 1X though. The jungle is the other area where the differences stick out a bit more, that and the shot with the rocks, at least to me.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

There's no difference between a game running at 60 fps vs one at 30 fps?

Brofist

Read Back To School GIF by INTO ACTION

I pulled a good 3070 rig out of a good deal, yeah. Also, unlike you, I already played most Playstation games. I won't be "begging" for them since there are other types of games on PC I'm interested in that are not available on console.

Anyway, enjoy your console experience mate! :)
Mmmmhmmm

Very normal first reaction to news that more Sony games are going to PC.

Everyone I know with a PC whether interested or not in Sony games reaction was like "oh cool, more games on PC".

You aren't the first Sony fanboy to pull a high end PC out their ass to appear less biased and you won't be the last.

16x9” is an aspect ratio PPI wise, my display is exactly like a 1440 panel.
That’s what I said :messenger_dizzy:

I was referring to 16x9 2560x1440 vs. your ultrawide. Hence you saying your ultrawide was similar in pixel count to 4k was a pointless statement when referring to image quality.

Ditch the ridiculous ultra wide for 4k and you won’t complain about jaggies xD

Last edited:

Peterthumpa

That’s what I said :messenger_dizzy:

I was referring to 16x9 2560x1440 vs. your ultrawide. Hence you saying your ultrawide was similar in pixel count to 4k was a pointless statement when referring to image quality.

Ditch the ridiculous ultra wide for 4k and you won’t complain about jaggies xD
16x9 <> 2560x1440, kind hard to read you mind over the Internet. I have an LG OLED CX and at 3840x2160 the aliasing is still there mate, "ridiculous ultrawide" or not.

Emet_bp

No. There are clear differences, IMO. The most obvious is the sand/smoke/mist that is completely missing from 1X in a few spots (these appear to be cut in fps mode on XSS also). There are differences to the lighting on the car. Differences in the filtering on the street. Differences in foliage density and detail in certain areas. Differences in reflections. They aren't light years apart, but definitely not 1:1.

I guess one could argue that maybe the capture devices weren't the same etc. The sand blowing across the street is definitely missing on 1X though. The jungle is the other area where the differences stick out a bit more, that and the shot with the rocks, at least to me.
You are clearly comparing Quality vs 1X, where dofference is quite big. Look more closely at comparison with the 60fps mode. It looks basically the same as the 1X version.... but at 60fps vs 30fps.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
You are clearly comparing Quality vs 1X, where dofference is quite big. Look more closely at comparison with the 60fps mode. It looks basically the same as the 1X version.... but at 60fps vs 30fps.
Why wouldn't you compare like for like?

30 fps vs 30 fps?

Doesn't doubling the framerate render the comparison moot? As 60 is double 30?

Emet_bp

60fps vs 30fps is obvious difference... but he was implying that there are many other differences between preformance (60fps) XSX mode and X1X... which is not true.

hlm666

I’m still puzzled why MSAA in 2021 like it’s 2005. It’s not free right, probably costs more than modern temporal solutions while covering less. This one thing clearly discloses this is still a last gen engine with baggage from even the prior gen.

This is a good thing as the upside is that there is loads of room for things to get even better.
It's because MSAA works better on the geometric detail on the cars and geometry of the roads. So basically they could keep the cars and most aspects of the road sharper and more detailed but lose out in aa quality on scenery (mainly vegetation) or use taa kinda gain better aa because now everything is soft. I'll take the forza look over something like the crew 2.

Md Ray

A question to PC gamers with 4K display.

Is there a big difference between 4K and 1440p with MSAA in this game? Does 1440p appear to be noticeably worse?

Last edited:
The game looks stunning, no doubt about it. It's very probably the best looking racer currently on consoles.

But I am getting tired about DF explaining any stunning Xbox game as a astonishing hardware achievement and any stunning Playstation game because the developers are talented.

I was blown away by the graphics when it was first shown and still am.... But the most surprising thing is it looks almost the same on orig xbox one hardware which was weaker than the PS4. That's pretty astonishing.... Even for talented developers.

JeloSWE

I haven't played it yet but from what I've seen it has pretty jarring vegetation pop in and there is a lot of shimmering on foliage and thin antennas etc due to their antialias solution. This was a big issue in FH4, it's sad they haven't addressed this with some form of TAA.

Kagey K

Banned
I haven't played it yet but from what I've seen it has pretty jarring vegetation pop in and there is a lot of shimmering on foliage and thin antennas etc due to their antialias solution. This was a big issue in FH4, it's sad they haven't addressed this with some form of TAA.
If you are paying attention to shot like this while playing, you are crashing.

It's easy to pick this stuff out while watching a video, but it's never stuff you will notice while playing it.

JeloSWE

If you are paying attention to shot like this while playing, you are crashing.

It's easy to pick this stuff out while watching a video, but it's never stuff you will notice while playing it.
Well I do notice foliage shimmering a lot it in FH4 while driving around and enjoying the map. I don't remember there being any issues with pop in but there might not be as much or complex vegetation as in FH5. Regardless, they should adress foliage shimmering and they could probably scale/fade in smaller grass tuffts in a smoother fashion than the instant jarring pop in used right now. Maybe it's possible to edit some ini files on PC to further the draw distance.

Kagey K

Banned
Masterpiece. Simple.
6 versions all looking and running great. Playground are something else.
It really is a notch on their belt how good they got the last gen versions.

Some people ppl want to knock the Series X down, but they really got the XB1 and 1X punching above thier weight.

Imagine showing the XB1 version of this game to somebody in 2013....

Heads would have exploded.

Sony

Nintendo
The care and attention that went into this game is something else, great job Playground!
Too bad this achievement can't be crowned at The Game Awards due to the release of this game being after the submission deadline. This is definitely game of the year material.

Kagey K

Banned
The care and attention that went into this game is something else, great job Playground!
Too bad this achievement can't be crowned at The Game Awards due to the release of this game being after the submission deadline. This is definitely game of the year material.
This game falls under the release time, only Halo misses the deadline.

MonarchJT

Banned
I am sorry but this game is not a "XSX masterpiece" as they put it here (meaning masterpiece only on XSX / XSS). Let me explain:

According to John XSX (1600p-4k 60fps) gives you basically the X1X (1600p-4k 30fps) game at double framerate.

So there is actually no improvement from newer RDNA2 technology, only linear improvement 1x from GCN to RDNA2. XSX is equivalent to 12 GCN Tflops.

I say it's disappointing because when we look at for instance Death Stranding on PS5 (exclusive console / PC, like FH5), the game on PS5 at native 4K 60fps (10.2tf) pushes 4x more stuff than Pro 4K CBR 30fps (4.2tf), for about the same performance according to the analysis that was done in the NXGamer thread. So PS5 would be the equivalent of 16.8 GCN tflops. There is a 1.6x improvement from GCN Tflops to PS5 RDNA2 Tflops. We find about the same 1.6x improvement if we use PS4 (1080p 30fps) as a baseline.

Now how does John describe this game related to the Xbox Series X hardware?

So basically according to him the game is what it is mainly because of XSX hardware. I am sorry but that's objectively false. FH5 is absolutely not a XSX masterpiece (if because of XSX). You can say it is a Xbox masterpiece and the XSX simply inherited about the game state of technology.

How did John describe Death Stranding performance on PS5 compared to the hardware?

You see the difference? No superlatives adjectives "astonishing showcase" here. "The version is excellent...improved over PS4" and they are not suprised about the big (almost odd) performance improvement compared to PS4 family of hardware. But we could say however that Death Stranding is a PS5 masterpiece in that it shows the true power of the PS5 RDNA2 hardware compared to PS4 family of hardware.

Top Bottom