• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut PS5 Upgrades Tested

assurdum

Banned
I'm sorry, but 'What exactly I have editing to save money face?' is gibberish.
despicable me idiot GIF

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I get it. I really do. But, we should probably take this private. This thread has already been derailed into a shit show of mindless bickering, stupid arguing, and finally, blossoming love. That last one, I think, isn't for everyone. It's just for us. My inbox, and everything else, is yours, Money Face.

assurdum

Banned
I get it. I really do. But, we should probably take this private. This thread has already been derailed into a shit show of mindless bickering, stupid arguing, and finally, blossoming love. That last one, I think, isn't for everyone. It's just for us. My inbox, and everything else, is yours, Money Face.
Shaking Cold Weather GIF by funk

Warablo

Imagine buying a graphics card and having to pay a small "fee" for each game in order to use your graphics card.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This sentence is literal gibberish.

They're asking you what they have edited to "save face." I'm assuming English is not their second language and yeah you're being a bit of someone you wouldn't want to see until Tuesday.

I don't mind paying for a console upgrade. It's the paying for the console upgrade and the DLC that makes the total cost more than the base cost of the next-gen package that is annoying. That said I only pre-ordered the DLC as apparently the only thing substantial you get is Japanese lip-sync which I have no interest in.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I was fine with 20 for the extra dlc.
Charging 10 for dual sense support is fucking scummy.

so instead of 20 or 30 they get 0
i should sell my game too
So they lose another sale.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

They're asking you what they have edited to "save face." I'm assuming English is not their second language and yeah you're being a bit of someone you wouldn't want to see until Tuesday.
Ah, I see. That gives them a free pass to say whatever they like to other forum members, does it?

Sorry. Clutch your pearls elsewhere. Money Face shouldn't throw stones and then cry when a brick is returned. It's a great life lesson.

Optimus Lime

I swear you two's back and forth has been more entertaining than all the warring here today 🤣🤣🤣
FINALLY someone with a sense of fucking humour. How could you possibly read through that entire, hilariously stupid exchange and not see the humour in two grown adults having a stupidly circular conversation which ends in romance?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Think I've said this before but I'm going to say it again: Graphics aren't the be-all and end-all of version upgrades. Its pretty sad how nothing other than that seems to hold any value to some people.

Concern

FINALLY someone with a sense of fucking humour. How could you possibly read through that entire, hilariously stupid exchange and not see the humour in two grown adults having a stupidly circular conversation which ends in romance?

Dude I was dying reading through the thread while finishing up in the gym. Its obvious there's a language barrier but it was fuckin hilarious 🤣🤣🤣. Thank you both for that lol.

Optimus Lime

Dude I was dying reading through the thread while finishing up in the gym. Its obvious there's a language barrier but it was fuckin hilarious 🤣🤣🤣. Thank you both for that lol.
For a forum that prides itself on being a libertarian, free speech alternative to the crackpot wokeism and insipid sissiness of Resetera, this place sure is infested with a lot of soft cock, wussy crybabies. We were a couple of dudes having a stupid internet argument which was clearly extremely silly. About a stupid paid upgrade for a video game.

sassy alcohol GIF

That they charged $30 for this and things like lod distance and pop in, shadow quality/resolution, distance cut off, effects, water are all seemingly exactly the same with just some higher resolution and rare spots of improved texture quality is interesting.

To get director's cut on PS4 it's $19.99. To then upgrade to the PS5 version it's another $10.

To go directly to the Director's Cut version on PS5 from your existing PS4 copy is $30 if you didn't get Director's Cut on PS4.

That extra content better be worth it. They do acknowledge that 60fps was at least free on PS5. That said, this game WAS already beautiful as hell. And wanna be careful to not disregard the superior resolution. That's a huge plus for an already beautiful game.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
A really disappointing DC. I didn't realize there was no way to upgrade to the PS5 version without getting the expansion as well which makes the paltry upgrades look even worse. The post content support for the original is commendable which in turn makes this seem worse. Save us Kojima.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
So there is NO way for mem to upgrade from ps4 to ps5 version for $10? I MUST pay $30?

Correct. You can check to see if the upgrade features are worth it for you; for me I watched the full DF video and I can see a difference between the 1800P and 2160P screens so 10 dollars it is. . .

Sucks because I've been meaning to get back to the game after finishing Act 1 and just moving on to something else.

omegasc

Why wouldn't there be an SDK roadmap? They're always improving these for consoles, for years even.
Yes, I know that. What I wasn't aware is that DF has/had access to the PS5 SDK Roadmap. I would like to know what else is in the roadmap they have: VRR, 1440p, etc.
Until recently we didn't even know that they were adding 120hz or higher res support to BC titles.

Last edited:
It sets a bad precedent for the future of the "director's cut" branding. It sets a bad precedent for the future of backwards compatibility. The direct competition, and multiple third parties do more than this for free - so people are pointing out they are upset at this one thing.

I feel like the bad precedent was already set at the start of the last gaming generation when we were forced to pay full price for remakes/remastered version of games for the PS4/X1X era.

Seriously, how many games were priced at full price for PS4/X1X ports during the transition to the gaming generation?

I recall a large number of games being ported, slapped on a remastered title, and called it a day while charging $60 for it.

This is an extra $10 - $20 for an expansion. An expansion, my dude. Not just a "hey, this is now on PS5, imma charge you full price."

This isnt the same, nor can it be said this is a "precedent" as we have accepted far shittier practices (lootboxes, anyone?) than this.

It's hard for me to call this a terrible move when you've seen NG ports being done with less, but charged money anyway is what I'm saying.

Do I think it's great being charged for money? Of course not.

But I feel Sony/SP isn't making a bad choice here at all. Or at least one worth hating them for.

A really disappointing DC. I didn't realize there was no way to upgrade to the PS5 version without getting the expansion as well which makes the paltry upgrades look even worse. The post content support for the original is commendable which in turn makes this seem worse. Save us Kojima.
Death stranding do it better. IIRC $10 for the ps5 upgrade and new content?

I feel like the bad precedent was already set at the start of the last gaming generation when we were forced to pay full price for remakes/remastered version of games for the PS4/X1X era.

Seriously, how many games were priced at full price for PS4/X1X ports during the transition to the gaming generation?

I recall a large number of games being ported, slapped on a remastered title, and called it a day while charging $60 for it.

This is an extra $10 - $20 for an expansion. An expansion, my dude. Not just a "hey, this is now on PS5, imma charge you full price."

This isnt the same, nor can it be said this is a "precedent" as we have accepted far shittier practices (lootboxes, anyone?) than this.

It's hard for me to call this a terrible move when you've seen NG ports being done with less, but charged money anyway is what I'm saying.

Do I think it's great being charged for money? Of course not.

But I feel Sony/SP isn't making a bad choice here at all. Or at least one worth hating them for.
I mean, we CAN't upgrade to ps5 version without paying $30. That's pretty slimy.

I mean, we CAN't upgrade to ps5 version without paying $30. That's pretty slimy.
Ya but you have a 60fps patch for free whereas you were forced to pay full price for remastered at the start of the PS4/X1X era.

Are some of you just young to remember actually really shitty practices from the past? Did Skyrim SE not exist with all its bugs galore never being fixed? Did TLOUR not be sold for almost full price on the PS4 with nothing but a texture boost?

I'm really confused why this is where we are drawing the line: a game that gave us everything we wanted, and more - and now asking for 20 bucks for an expansion.

Again, ITS AN EXPANSION. Not just a NG patch 🤦🏽‍♂️

Hoddi

I don't care about paying for the expansion but that 'upgrade' price leaves a seriously bad taste in my mouth. Changing a few variables in a config file is utterly trivial compared with the types of changes that you'll see via regular patching in other games.

This kind of nickel-and-diming is worse than MTX because the damn code should have existed in the game in the first place.

bender

What time is it?

That's part of the problem as you can't buy the upgrade without the expansion.

As far as being too young, get that ish out of here. PS5 has been all over the place with upgrades:

Of what I own:

-Final Fantasy VII (free)
-Nioh ($49.99)
-Nioh 2 (free)

-THPS 1+2 HD Deluxe (free)
-Saints Row The Third (free)
-Final Fantasy XIV (free)
-No Man's SKy (free)
-Subnautica (free)
-Yakuza: Like a Dragon (free)
-Judgment ($39.99)
-Spider-Man (Forced bundle in Miles Morales $69.99)

Up Coming:

-Tsushima (Forced Bundle to DC $29.99)
-Cyberpunk 2077 (free)
-Witcher 3 (free)
-Death Stranding ($9.99)

So you've got free upgrades, minimal upgrades, mid tier priced upgrades, damned near full priced upgrades and forced bundle upgrades. Sony Published games in that list (bolded) have no consistency to how they are being offered.

Last edited:
Ya but you have a 60fps patch for free whereas you were forced to pay full price for remastered at the start of the PS4/X1X era.

Are some of you just young to remember actually really shitty practices from the past? Did Skyrim SE not exist with all its bugs galore never being fixed? Did TLOUR not be sold for almost full price on the PS4 with nothing but a texture boost?

I'm really confused why this is where we are drawing the line: a game that gave us everything we wanted, and more - and now asking for 20 bucks for an expansion.

How about give us the ps5 upgrade for $10?

Hoddi

How about giving it for fucking free? There's this thing called 'supporting your damn product' that some of us have come to expect. Having to pay for a patch to a brand new game is just plain shit support and let alone when it includes genuine fixes like lock-on that should have existed in the first place.

People bitch about Cyberpunk but at least CD Project will continue supporting the damn thing. Even Witcher 3 will be getting a free next-gen patch and that's a 6 year old game.

TLZ

Banned
-Two graphic modes: frame-rate and resolution.
-Checkerboard rendering in both modes with 60fps.
-Framerate mode in 1800p CB.
-Resolution mode in 2160p CB.
-Possibility of dynamic resolution even if in the tests it seems to be a fixed resolution.
-60fps locked on both modes.
-Display distance is the same as before.
-Improvement of some textures.
-Loadings much faster (now instantaneous) compared to the version running on PS4 BC.
-The cinematics that were in pre-rendering on PS4 now run in real time on PS5 at 30fps instead of 60fps.
-The game exploits well the 3D audio + Dualsense features.
-DF regret that this kind of upgrade is paid when it's free at other studios.
This should all be a free upgrade. It looks like your regular patch work you see on other games.

They can charge for the Iki DLC etc, and leave this free.

Moonjt9

I’m in for the physical ps5 edition. Looks great. Instead of paying 30 for the dlc digitally, now I will have one of the best PlayStation exclusives in my physical collection. Fine by me!

That's part of the problem as you can't buy the upgrade without the expansion.

As far as being too young, get that ish out of here. PS5 has been all over the place with upgrades:

Of what I own:

-Final Fantasy VII (free)
-Nioh ($49.99)
-Nioh 2 (free)

-THPS 1+2 HD Deluxe (free)
-Saints Row The Third (free)
-Final Fantasy XIV (free)
-No Man's SKy (free)
-Subnautica (free)
-Yakuza: Like a Dragon (free)
-Judgment ($39.99)
-Spider-Man (Forced bundle in Miles Morales $69.99)

Up Coming:

-Tsushima (Forced Bundle to DC $29.99)
-Cyberpunk 2077 (free)
-Witcher 3 (free)
-Death Stranding ($9.99)

So you've got free upgrades, minimal upgrades, mid tier priced upgrades, damned near full priced upgrades and forced bundle upgrades. Sony Published games in that list (bolded) have no consistency to how they are being offered.

Again, my point was that I recall us having to pay money on ALL games that were ported to the PS4/X1X era of gaming.

I have never remembered a single game that was ported to PS4/X1X that wasnt paid.

I would argue that SE had the best next gen patch/expansion with FFR, and Doom Eternal the worst. I consider GoTDC a nuisance and annoyance, but hardly disgusting.

Regardless, I'm probably missing a perspective here that's clouding my judgement. So, at best, we can agree to disagree.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain to me your thoughts.

Of course, I would love that. Who wouldn't? But are we arguing over price point or over the fact that it exists?

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
This should all be a free upgrade. It looks like your regular patch work you see on other games.

They can charge for the Iki DLC etc, and leave this free.

I hate to be paranoid, but something tells me they pulled some of the upgrade stuff from the DLC to be able to make some cash on the "upgrade." Like the lipsync should have been in the DLC; that is the only thing that even warrants a "cost." Haptic feedback and a barebones resolution increase is not worth 10 bucks. . .

Speaking of, I can't even find the damn thing in the store. They can't even gouge properly.

Again, my point was that I recall us having to pay money on ALL games that were ported to the PS4/X1X era of gaming.

I have never remembered a single game that was ported to PS4/X1X that wasnt paid.

I'm not going to speak for XB1. . .but are you seriously asking why you didn't get a "free next gen upgrade" for PS3 to PS4 games like TLOU1?

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Agree with this.

Ultimately, what we have here is a reasonable array of revisions, but it does feel that Sony is charging for the kind of upgrades that other developers and publishers are giving away for free and in actual fact, the biggest upgrade of all - 60fps - was already given away with the original release.

Reactions: TLZ
Top Bottom