• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Grand Theft Auto 5 'Next-Gen' Upgrades Analysis: PS5 vs PS4 vs Maxed-Out PC!

Three

It's accurate, but highly misleading.
Yeah I suppose without the original video but I'm more concerned about the misleading bullshit by Manabyte trying to get a media outlet banned from gaf because he's triggered:

YouTuber is.. lying to paint the XSX in a bad light by showing the XBO version's load times. It's not a minute long and a dead giveaway is that the next gen (both XSX and PS5) load screens show a percentage loaded on the status bar. That is missing on his "XSX/XSS" footage. He's lying and needs to be banned here again.

The YouTuber who tried to pass off the Xbox One version as the X|S version is the one who's full of shit.

No it does not. ElAnalistaDeBits was using the Xbox One version. The next-gen version has a loading progress % after your user name.

That's NOT the next-gen version (notice how he doesn't show the icon?). The next-gen version has a loading percentage that counts up to 100% right next to your username. The Xbox footage there doesn't have that.

Then proceeds to post this video
XSX - 87.8GB

Screenshot-20220319-132039-Chrome.jpg

d6f.jpg

All this bullshit and lies by manabyte trying to get a source banned instead of "but that's from a cold boot where you can't skip logos"

Last edited:

Shmunter

The Xbox version is normally one file, so it includes both versions, you can take the storage card and just interchange it between a Series X and S and play.
Only a select few games offer the option for reducing the Series S version I've found.
So x uses S assets for the most part? Or smart delivery is downloading 2 x assets?

Lysandros

My theory is that DXR as seen on PC is super CPU heavy, i doubt much is different in Xbox implementation but PS Api for RT could be much different in this aspect. But this would only explain differences when RT is enabled
In matter of RT, besides API/implementation differences, PS5 has also its own set of hardware advantages like each CU/IE having access to ~60% more GPU L1 cache bandwidth in average and the ability to calculate ray bounces up to to 22% faster due to higher frequency. The role of cache bandwidth in regards to RT performance remains largely undiscussed.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Let's include Quick Resume as well then. OS feature after all.
You can, but thats loading a preloaded state from cache, it's already been loaded
So it's not the same thing.
A better comparison for that would be resume play from rest mode.

Three

You can, but thats loading a preloaded state from cache, it's already been loaded
Not to mention the game is actually loading during logos. The cold boot loads common assets while the logo intro is playing. Then when you choose the mode it loads what it needs based on where you are.

TGO

No it's not. It's a suspended VM. It's the same as rest mode on the PS5, just that the XSX can do multiple games because the games run in VMs and they just suspend them.
I literally said that in my post

Three

No it's not. It's a suspended VM. It's the same as rest mode on the PS5, just that the XSX can do multiple games because the games run in VMs and they just suspend them.
Which is exactly as he said that it's comparable to rest mode but that's not correct either. What do you think a VM is? What do you think visualisation is? In quick resume things like decompression are already done.

Rest mode is different it keeps power to the RAM and doesn't copy things across to RAM.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So x uses S assets for the most part? Or smart delivery is downloading 2 x assets?

I don't think it's either, only a few games have notably different assets and are smaller on SS compared to SX, and they're mostly first party games I think.

I don't think third parties make that kind of distinction.

The XSX version of GTAV is only 1GB larger than the PS5 version. How is that bloated?

The SX and SS versions of GTA V (the new remastered release) are actually smaller than the PS5 version by a few gigs.

Why does it matter ? It's an OS level feature.

Oh *NOW* we're worried about 'better' comparisons :D

I swear some of y'all are as transparent as polythene.

Anyway, to your point.

Resume from rest is also 5~6 seconds faster on the SX.

10rjql.png

pretty-cool-cerny.gif

Not to mention the game is actually loading during logos. The cold boot loads common assets while the logo intro is playing. Then when you choose the mode it loads what it needs based on where you are.

That's not the case, the first time you launch the game on PS5, you see the logos, you just don't see them on subsequent launches. The load times (incl the length of the logo videos) between SX and PS5 are identical.

Regardless, we have videos showing literally every other instance of loading (rest mode, dying, loading) is faster on SX by either a very small, or a few seconds margin), there's no reason to believe the loading time would be any faster if SX was also skipping logo videos.

Last edited:

Three

Anyway, to your point.

Resume from rest is also 5 seconds faster on the SX.

10rjql.png
No it aint but I think you're as transparent as ever with your agenda.
Huh, so is that another thing elemeneopee is wrong about ?

I thought I read 92GB or so in his video.
Dude it was your own dumb comparison and screenshot you used to pretend PS5 loads much slower than series X
Clearly there's something wrong here, other comparisons show either almost the same or slightly in favor of SX loading times.

198k0c.png

adamsapple

No it aint but I think you're as transparent as ever with your agenda.

I'm sorry if disproving the fake loading time critiques with video evidence seems like an agenda to you.

Dude it was your own dumb comparison and screenshot you used to pretend PS5 loads much slower than series X

This is where most people first read about it since this was one of the earliest comparison videos online:

MXKpP13.png

10 gig vs 16gig and hardly any asset improvements in most games?!? What is this cuntfuckery?

?

There's hardly a difference in asset quality in 90% multi platform games on PS5, SX and SS with resolution and cut effects being the only real difference. Gears 5 has 4K textures on SX but not on SS and that's one game where SS is notably smaller in install size because of that.

Why try to paint this as a Series S vs X issue when PS5 has the same assets.

so would folks on here suggest using Performance or Performance RT?

Performance RT.

Even Alex said something like it's his favorite way to play GTA V now at the end of the video.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I think it might be 92GB download, but once installed it only shows 86.8GB on view information tab.

Could it be a regional difference ? EU region downloads are often larger cause they have more languages.*

* Assuming you're based in the US.

Shmunter

There's hardly a difference in asset quality in 90% multi platform games on PS5, SX and SS with resolution and cut effects being the only real difference. Gears 5 has 4K textures on SX but not on SS and that's one game where SS is notably smaller in install size because of that.

Why try to paint this as a Series S vs X issue when PS5 has the same assets.

You make it sound like some kind of triumph? So in your opinion S memory footprint is the baseline holding th big ones back?

adamsapple

You make it sound like some kind of triumph? So in your opinion S memory footprint is the baseline holding th big ones back?

I'm making it sound like there's no cuntfuckery going on, it depends on the individual developers to utilize it as needed, they can choose to have different quality assets for them, most don't. There's only a few examples, mostly first party, that do that eg Gears, Sea of Thieves etc.

Shmunter

I'm making it sound like there's no cuntfuckery going on, it depends on the individual developers to utilize it as needed, they can choose to have different quality assets for them, most don't. There's only a few examples, mostly first party, that do that eg Gears, Sea of Thieves etc.
But why choose 10gig and not 16, and to celebrate it if all things

Shmunter

That's a question best asked of Jason Ronald. Doesn't seem like we've had any cases where SS is holding back SX or PS5 games, yet.
You just yourself expressed assets are no different on machines with almost twice the ram. Do you claim that to be a case of downporting?

Don’t know about you, but a square peg does not fit into a round hole in my universe.

adamsapple

You just yourself expressed assets are no different on machines with almost twice the ram. Do you claim that to be a case of downporting?

Don’t know about you, but a square peg does not fit into a round hole in my universe.

Mate, what are you even going on about here ? We have dozens of different game comparisons across DF/NX/VG where no difference in asset quality is noted between Series S and PS5/Series X.

I'm not clear on what point you're trying to make here. Are you trying to ask why Series S install sizes aren't smaller in general or why PS5/SX use the same assets even when they have 6GB more RAM than Series S ? In either case, you're best asking developers those questions on twitter, I don't think you'll find the answer in this topic.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Mate, what are you even going on about here ? We have dozens of different game comparisons across DF/NX/VG where no difference in asset quality is noted between Series S and PS5/Series X.

I'm not clear on what point you're trying to make here. Are you trying to ask why Series S install sizes aren't smaller in general or why PS5/SX use the same assets even when they have 6GB more RAM than Series S ? In either case, you're best asking developers those questions on twitter, I don't think you'll find the answer in this topic.
You’re the one that got all defensive about assets being the same like it’s some kind of achievement, all the while injecting console wars by sticking PS5 into the conversation.

I’ll never understand you series S cheerleaders, is Phil actually paying you to promote it or something? Imagine pc players going around chest beating about the latest 4tf, low ram card as the holy grail, it’s beyond ridiculous.

Last edited:

Three

That's not the case, the first time you launch the game on PS5, you see the logos, you just don't see them on subsequent launches. The load times (incl the length of the logo videos) between SX and PS5 are identical.

Regardless, we have videos showing literally every other instance of loading (rest mode, dying, loading) is faster on SX by either a very small, or a few seconds margin), there's no reason to believe the loading time would be any faster if SX was also skipping logo videos.
You see the logos first boot but the loading screen after the logos is shorter on first boot. It doesn't alter the loading time because it's loading even when showing logos. You think Rockstar of all people haven't mastered the idea of loading while showing a purposely extended video clip?

Also I just took this picture for you:
20220319-161606.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality but I had to turn on the projector just to show you and screenshots from the phone are prohibited due to security policy. Notice the size?

I'm sorry if disproving the fake loading time critiques with video evidence seems like an agenda to you.

Yes you're in full ad hominem mode because you're triggered by anything showing your xbox in a bad light. You're more transparent than the people you're accusing. The cold boot loading time isn't a 'fake' it's just one type of comparison.

adamsapple

You’re the one that got all defensive about assets being the same like it’s some kind of achievement, all the while injecting console wars by sticking PS5 into the conversation.

My dude, come on. Please don't feign naivete about why you posted the 'cuntfuckery' comment. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyway, PS5 and SX were mentioned in the same breath because they're both 16GB RAM consoles and neither show any improved assets over the 10GB Series S.

It's academically accurate info.

I’ll never understand you series S cheerleaders, is Phil actually paying you to promote it or something? Imagine pc players going around chest beating about the latest 4tf, low ram card as the holy grail, it’s beyond ridiculous.

UGWv8GH.gif

TGO

Because it's a resume state, it's not fully landing data from scratch.
The game has had to be loaded before and saved for it to even work.
Completely different situation.

Anyway, to your point.

Resume from rest is also 5~6 seconds faster on the SX
Nobody is worried, it's pretty laid-back response from observing the nonsense and hand waving responses in the thread trying to defending the honour of their favourite piece of plastic.
Like I said, you can if it makes you feel better.
But no analysis will use quick resume Vs a cold boot load.
But if that's what ya wanna run with, that's fine
I did say you can use that if you wanted
So have fun 👍

FrankWza

Its like watching Adam’s Apple turn into eves cherry :)
It’s been done so many times now…
When you post in every single thread all day long it’s bound to happen over and over.

Last edited:

adamsapple

You see the logos first boot but the loading screen after the logos is shorter on first boot. It doesn't alter the loading time because it's loading even when showing logos. You think Rockstar of all people haven't mastered the idea of loading while showing a purposely extended video clip?

I don't think it's a Rockstar thing, it's a PS5 thing. Being able to skip logos was touted as a PS5 feature. No Xbox game does it. I don't know/care if they're loading behind the screens or not. But factoring in the first time you see the 30 second boot logos, the load times would be identical between PS5|SX.

Also I just took this picture for you:
20220319-161606.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality but I had to turn on the projector just to show you and screenshots from the phone are prohibited due to security policy. Notice the size?

So it's 92 GB after all.

As in it's larger on PS5 compared to Series S|X ?

Cool, I guess I was right ?

Yes you're in full ad hominem mode because you're triggered by anything showing your xbox in a bad light. You're more transparent than the people you're accusing. The cold boot loading time isn't a 'fake' it's just one type of comparison.

Boy all this fuss over me not including the cold boot picture when the video itself declares it as 'cheating'.

I didn't include the quick resume picture in that post either, but I guess that doesn't matter and you don't have an objection to that because .. reasons ?

adamsapple

Because it's a resume state, it's not fully landing data from scratch.
The game has had to be loaded before and saved for it to even work.
Completely different situation.
Nobody is worried, it's pretty laid-back response from observing the nonsense and hand waving responses in the thread trying to defending the honour of their favourite piece of plastic.
Like I said, you can if it makes you feel better.
But no analysis will use quick resume Vs a cold boot load.

Ok, but it still doesn't matter as it's an OS level feature. The OS is utilizing it to load the game state in 8 seconds versus cold booting 30 to 60 seconds on any console/PC otherwise. Comparisons not using is inconsequential to it's existence and function.

But if that's what ya wanna run with, that's fine
I did say you can use that if you wanted
So have fun 👍

Cool.

I hope you saw that restart from rest mode picture result you asked for in the last post. Hopefully that answered your other question.

I like watching Adam’s Apple turn into eves cherry :)
It’s been done so many times now…
When you post in every single thread all day long it’s bound to happen over and over.

130548.jpg

Still trying to figure out if I'm someone's alt Franky ?

Last edited:

Esppiral

Weird DF aren't doing a direct PS5 vs Xbox comparison

Must be their budget for the video ran out and they couldn't afford both versions
Or maybe Rockstar gave them only PS5 code because you know, marketing agreements or they just reviewed the PS5 version because is the more popular console and it gives more views......

Three

I don't think it's a Rockstar thing, it's a PS5 thing. Being able to skip logos was touted as a PS5 feature. No Xbox game does it. I don't know/care if they're loading behind the screens or not. But factoring in the first time you see the 30 second boot logos, the load times would be identical between PS5|SX.
So you don't care that it saves you time loading in the background during logos you're more concerned whether Xbox would get the hypothetical win or not. Cool, got you.
So it's 92 GB after all.

As in it's larger on PS5 compared to Series S|X ?

Cool, I guess I was right ?
Boy all this fuss over me not including the cold boot picture when the video itself declares it as 'cheating'.

I didn't include the quick resume picture in that post either, but I guess that doesn't matter and you don't have an objection to that because .. reasons ?
Sure if you consider trying to discredit the source of the cold boot video by saying he's also wrong about the 92GB size and trying now to turn it into an xbox victory makes you 'right'. I'm just saying your agenda is as plain as day here compared to those who you are accusing.

Last edited:

adamsapple

So you don't care that it saves you time loading in the background during logos you're more concerned whether Xbox would get the hypothetical win or not. Cool, got you.

How do you figure ? I would be using quick resume to save more time than either consoles boot and first load anyway.

In either case, we know skipping intro logos is a PS5 feature, it's as irrelevant to compare it to Xbox as comparing Quick Resume is on PS5.

We literally cannot say if there is any loading going on behind the boot logo videos, in GTA's case when you hit load game or new game from the main menu, that's when the game starts loading content.

The only thing we can prove emperecally is that the time it takes for Xbox to load after the boot logo finishes is almost virtually identical to PS5 when they're both actually shown loading with the loading percentage in the bottom right.

Sure if you consider trying to discredit the source of the cold boot video by saying he's also wrong about the 92GB size and trying now to turn it into an xbox victory makes you 'right' now. I'm just saying your agenda is as plain as day here compared to those who you are accusing.

You realize the whole issue started from people using the cropped version of the elemenopee video that starts midway through the loading

If you're worried about misrepresentation and false equivalencies, you should be more concerned how misleading gifs like this are being spread:

This gif literally starts off with the XB version in the middle of a boot logo and PS5 version 'loading' data.

Last edited:
Top Bottom