• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Guardians of the Galaxy: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Ray Tracing Upgrades Tested

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyoji

1dKq5MY.png
zfmuvYp.jpg

Tripolygon

Banned
In 2013 DF were gods on here when the PS4 first launched. Now poor old DF are nothing more than shills and bullshit merchants according to the sony fanboys.
I see this statement but I don't ever remember it being that way. In the first DF comparison threads where they mistook the Xbox One oversharpening in Battlefield 4 as better clarity compared to PS4 version which had a higher resolution which prompted them to issue a correction. The comparison threads all through the last-gen were filled with the same sort of discussions. In fact, I distinctly remember lots of complaints about DF downplaying the difference between both consoles. Remember the Xbox One was more balanced narrative perpetuated by DF. etc etc

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I see this statement but I don't ever remember it being that way. In the first DF comparison threads where they mistook the Xbox One oversharpening in Battlefield 4 as better clarity compared to PS4 version which had a higher resolution which prompted them to issue a correction. The comparison threads all through the last-gen were filled with the same sort of discussions. In fact, I distinctly remember lots of complaints about DF downplaying the difference between both consoles. Remember the Xbox One was more balanced narrative perpetuated by DF. etc etc

I dont think DF did voice commentary on videos until like Late 2014.

Leyasu

Banned

The balanced system came from the interview that Eurogamer did with the xbox team. That wasn't DF. It was the xbox team themselves that tried to push that.

I don't think that I am misremembering the rest though. I wonder if the old threads are still readable on here

DaGwaphics

I don't know what you are trying to imply with that. My thought process has been consistent in regards to the XSS all along. It was always the equivalent of a budget friendly PC GPU in my mind, you lose some resolution, maybe you move some sliders down a bit to hit the target frame rate. It's a solid little box, that accomplishes just that and is perfect for a lot of people. If you looked at some bullet list and made assumptions based on that... 🤷‍♂️

Plus, again, there is a lot of software where sliding the resolution down is all that is needed.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
You will see a lot 1080p render with AI upscale yo higher resolution this gen. You won’t get native higher resolution in most games.

There is a reason why the UE5 demos are all lower resolution.
Is this game doing AI upscaling on console?

Tripolygon

Banned
I dont think DF did voice commentary on videos until like Late 2014.
Articles?
The balanced system came from the interview that Eurogamer did with the xbox team. That wasn't DF. It was the xbox team themselves that tried to push that.

I don't think that I am misremembering the rest though. I wonder if the old threads are still readable on here
It was an interview that Richard perpetuated on various occasions. I am not misremembering either. My point was DF was never gods like you say, they were called out by many people in these forums from people who own either consoles. In the PS3 gen, people claimed they were pro-Xbox because in the beginning 360 was performing better in multiplat games.

Darius87

Also the TFLOPs alone arent the best indicator of real world performance between these consoles.
i know it's just on paper "most powerful" but in this case where RT involved it should be main console for comparisson as it's 12Tflops directly correlates with RT.
If they mainly used XSX footage we would be saying they are hiding the PS5.....yet the article tells us the games are running the same.
of course but that's rarely happen i don't understand why can't they have some parity i mean at minimum you should have 70% vs 30% if your title says: "PS5 vs XSX RT upgrade tested". now it's mostly PS5 footage.
articles are just words and doesn't allways represent actual figures and easily can be manipulated i would rather watch flat line of FPS for both consoles then believe in article.
The extra work to have the videos be side by side constantly isnt worth it when we should know the games are the same and we want to see the game at 4K so give me the full frame.

People read too much into what/how DF makes videos.
souds like lazy excuse to me he managed even compare to PC but yet to give XSX more footage is extra work i wouldn't complain if it would be first time they do such thing but it's clearly becoming a thing.

Its like the moment the XSS is mentioned, you are instantly summoned. I'd like to know how it works if it's not too much of a bother explaining! Is it physics? Magic?
Just like everyone else when they see the XSS they make up imaginary standards and talk trash. If people can pop in to threads to crap talk I can pop in to correct the record. I get the same notification as the detractors.

Halo infinite was made by a 3rd party developer? Is that why they didn’t include the 120fps option on the series s that the x has?
It had a 120 fps mode that was taken out. There are plenty of instances where the XSS has the same modes. Every developer makes a call on the features they use. Watch Dogs Legion has raytracing on XSS. What does that mean? Developer choice. No one said every game on XSS would use all the features it is capable of. No system does.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It does do RT though, it all just depends on the engine. The Matrix Demo has full GI, WDL had RT, etc.

Yep. I didn’t want to call them lazy devs because it triggers some people but i was implying it was not a hardware limitation like Dench had suggested.

i do think the series s is a brilliant box but I do genuinely believe that it will always need some serious cut backs in the quality of RT in games. It’s just not that big of a gpu and I personally dont expect it to be able to offer exactly the same experience but at a lower resolution. It will need other cut backs too, but for what the box is and at it’s price point and if you are rocking at 1080p tv or 1440p monitor you are going to have a great experience With the S.

i do think the series s is a brilliant box but I do genuinely believe that it will always need some serious cut backs in the quality of RT in games. It’s just not that big of a gpu and I personally dont expect it to be able to offer exactly the same experience but at a lower resolution. It will need other cut backs too, but for what the box is and at it’s price point and if you are rocking at 1080p tv or 1440p monitor you are going to have a great experience With the S.
It has the same feature set as the XSX. It was never marketed that it would only have ONE cutback graphically. Who would make that promise in a world with thousands of developers and hundreds of game engines? The more powerful systems have graphical cutbacks in comparison to PCs with RTX 3090s too yet no one attacks them for that. The biggest criticisms tend to be goal post moving from people who don't own the system and never planned to buy it. It is the sole platform that can be trolled with no consequence.

Three

Hasn't that always been the case. That the box offered the same experiences at a lower price point. There were never any guarantees offered one way or the other. 1440p was no more guaranteed on XSS than 4K was on XSX, it is what it is. With that said, there absolutely are many games that are just resolution drops.
If you think MS would even allow cut content on XSS even if XSX and PS5 could do more you're delusional. There are parity clauses that prevent that if you want to release on xbox.

People were saying XSS would just be at a lower res with all the effects. Some were even saying it is MORE capable at 1080p than a XSX/PS5 at a higher res because they thought graphics are completely a linear function of res. Now instead of coming out and saying sorry I was wrong they double down on the bullshit.

Last edited:

FrankWza

It had a 120 fps mode that was taken out.
Why was that? That’s not fair to the series s owners who were promised that they would have every feature available on series x at lower resolutions. And the people that made Halo infinite are first party aren’t they?
There are plenty of instances where the XSS has the same modes.

SHARED FEATURES OF NEXT GEN

DirectX Raytracing
Gaming at up to 120FPS

FRAME RATE
Xbox Series X and S
UP TO 120FPS
GAMING RESOLUTION
Xbox Series X
TRUE 4K
Xbox Series S
1440P
Gaming at up to 120FPS

Every developer makes a call on the features they use. Watch Dogs Legion has raytracing on XSS. What does that mean? Developer choice.
OR, they NEED to do it in order to get it running because it requires a lot of work and they’re unable to do it while also developing for the lead consoles. Why would any developers , first party or third party, make a choice not to include something. They wouldn’t unless it is too demanding and takes too much time and effort. Which is the argument against the system when they could have made a DE series x for $399. Now, all of this effort is being used on another platform when we live in a time of crunch and needing VRR in order to have stable frame rates on multiplats.
It has the same feature set as the XSX.
Not on this game. And not on Halo. The biggest franchise in xbox history and the game that is most associated with the brand. Even after a year delay and extra funding and resources in order for it to ship in pieces this year. That sounds like a lot of work.

Lysandros

i know it's just on paper "most powerful" but in this case where RT involved it should be main console for comparisson as it's 12Tflops directly correlates with RT.
I disagree, XSX being the most powerful 'on paper' is more an assumption under the influence of a 'retracted' advertising than an indisputable fact. Also, RT correlates with quite a bit more things than just TF, including bandwidth, memory amount and cache performance.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It has the same feature set as the XSX. It was never marketed that it would only have ONE cutback graphically. Who would make that promise in a world with thousands of developers and hundreds of game engines? The more powerful systems have graphical cutbacks in comparison to PCs with RTX 3090s too yet no one attacks them for that. The biggest criticisms tend to be goal post moving from people who don't own the system and never planned to buy it. It is the sole platform that can be trolled with no consequence.

I completely agree with you. The hate the series s gets is beyond a joke. No one on pc is ripping the users with lower powered cards, that’s what settings are for. So whatif someone has to run apex legends on low to medium settings because they have a 1660. Are they having fun and owning fools? Yes, yes they are.

it’s one of the biggest take aways that I hope the series s installs this gen. It’s not holding back games and is a great option for some. I cant wait for my daughter to open hers next week and for me to have a spare room console that I can jump on if the front room is being used by the mrs haha.

Last edited:

intbal

I don't see that unlocked framerate mode on Series S as a positive.
Better to offer a locked 40fps mode. You gain more time in the upper range of DRS, plus it provides Xbox owners two different methods to accomplish the lock. If you have a 60hz display with VRR, you're set. But you're also good if you have a 120hz display with the frame repeating.
Most TVs with 120hz these days also have VRR support, but some older 120hz TVs don't include the feature (I have two of those, in addition to a 60hz VRR display).

DaGwaphics

If you think MS would even allow cut content on XSS even if XSX and PS5 could do more you're delusional. There are parity clauses that prevent that if you want to release on xbox.

People were saying XSS would just be at a lower res with all the effects. Some were even saying it is MORE capable at 1080p than a XSX/PS5 at a higher res because they thought graphics are completely a linear function of res. Now instead of coming out and saying sorry I was wrong they double down on the bullshit.

Oddly enough there are quite a few instances where the settings the devs chose are ever so slightly more balanced with the hardware on XSS than those chosen for XSX/PS5. Creates those situations where XSX/PS5 are struggling a bit to hit framerate and the XSS is locked tight to its cap. Of course there are games with the reverse situation as well, all depends on what the devs are trying to run.

Portugeezer

why do people expect the budget console to run with the premium consoles and not as a budget console?

I just don't get that hot take and lack on basic common sense.
There was an idea that Series S would be capable of what Series X is capable of, just at lower resolutions. I don't know whether that was down to Microsoft marketing/PR or green rats, but it was a thing.. but missing Ray tracing in any game (there are a few others) is a notable difference.
apparently should have also no issue to run 4k at times

;d

That was just IGN clickbait, about CPU clocks I believe (didn't bother watching again).

FrankWza

Biggest criticism has been from developers hasn't it?.. I believe employees of a MS first party studio have been the most critical.

Not sure why they would need to move any goalposts.
The new DF thread is filled with posts celebrating the fact that they got the matrix demo to run on the s but even DF criticized it. In the first comparison video they said it looked “deformed”
Meanwhile, they had to put in a ton of effort in order to get it running according to the new article.

What’s with the Pom-poms?

ethomaz

Banned
I can only advise to people stop to get surprise about Series S.
It was already discussed ad nausea before.
S is a really big cut back to X and the gap will only increase thought the generation.

Probably in two years MS will release a X upgraded and focus in X and X+ machine… it is a entry point to make you get into Xbox ecosystem and after migrate to X or X+… if you don’t upgrade you will accept to suffer with subpar experience.

Last edited:

Darius87

I disagree, XSX being the most powerful 'on paper' is more an assumption under the influence of a 'retracted' advertising than an indisputable fact. Also, RT correlates with quite a bit more things than just TF, including bandwidth, memory amount and cache performance.
yes that what "on paper" means, we agree on this.

You will see a lot 1080p render with AI upscale yo higher resolution this gen. You won’t get native higher resolution in most games.

There is a reason why the UE5 demos are all lower resolution.
I don’t think engines like RE engine (or whatever Capcom use next) or IDtech6 (7?) will have that problem. UE4 didn’t have great results half the time on X1/PS4, but RE engine Capcom games and DOOM/Eternal did.

I didn’t play too many games last gen that used UE4, so I don’t think I’ll run into this that much anyways, if you do end up being right.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I’m kinda stumped by this video too. Why doesn’t Tom show comparisons of the series x in the star lord vision and does it drop frames like 5he ps5 on the intro scene etc or does it stay locked 60?

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
4k/RT > 60fps

edit: you triggered fools. I didn't go to your post and trigger lol/
edit2: This is some grade A hypocrisy shit. Your 60fps is find and my 30fps choice is bad? wow. That is so low... not that I didn't play it on 3080, 4k, ray tracing, 90fps....

Spider Man Lol GIF

Why was that? That’s not fair to the series s owners who were promised that they would have every feature available on series x at lower resolutions. And the people that made Halo infinite are first party aren’t they?

SHARED FEATURES OF NEXT GEN

DirectX Raytracing
Gaming at up to 120FPS

FRAME RATE
Xbox Series X and S
UP TO 120FPS
GAMING RESOLUTION
Xbox Series X
TRUE 4K
Xbox Series S
1440P
Gaming at up to 120FPS

OR, they NEED to do it in order to get it running because it requires a lot of work and they’re unable to do it while also developing for the lead consoles. Why would any developers , first party or third party, make a choice not to include something. They wouldn’t unless it is too demanding and takes too much time and effort. Which is the argument against the system when they could have made a DE series x for $399. Now, all of this effort is being used on another platform when we live in a time of crunch and needing VRR in order to have stable frame rates on multiplats.

Not on this game. And not on Halo. The biggest franchise in xbox history and the game that is most associated with the brand. Even after a year delay and extra funding and resources in order for it to ship in pieces this year. That sounds like a lot of work.
As usual Frank you are misinformed. All the features you listed are possible on the XSS. Compromise are made because it is a budget device not because the system is not capable of running the feature. In addition there are platform features and game features. Quick resume, SFS, and hardware raytracing are platform features all Series consoles have. No one said the XSS would run all gaming features, in all games all the time. It is a silly made up metric no other system in history has ever met.

With regard to 120fps it is odd that you would keep harping on the XSS not enough games with the feature. There are more XSS games with 120fps than the PS5.

Are you equally upset with Sony as you are with MS and the XSS since this is a feature so important to you? Funny you'd mention Series S owners, something you are not, seeing how the vast majority of them are HAPPY with their purchase.

You cherry picking titles here in there as some sort of gotcha against the cheapest system with hardware raytracing and more 120fps games seems a bit misguided. Of course you are absent when the system has higher graphical settings than the X1X, a system some think is more powerful, or when it runs games the X1X doesn't run AT ALL. An odd crusade for sure. The system is designed to reach a larger audience for a lower price. A digital XSX does neither of those things especially in an era with a major chip shortage.

On the topic of this game in particular none of the games run at a locked 60fps let alone 120. The raytracing doesn't match the highest PC settings yet again people seem to be drawn to the XSS as a problem instead of the developer doing what they wanted to with regards to the game. Cuts and compromises are made on all titles on console. It is clear though this entire generation will be filled with disingenuous arguments and chatter about the XSS. Oh well the record will continue to be corrected.

FrankWza

As usual Frank you are misinformed.
You’re the one who said, about 1000 times, that the series s does EVERYTHING the series x does at lower resolutions. Frame rate and Ray tracing are features.
There are more XSS games with 120fps than the PS5.
For now and At much lower resolutions.
Funny you'd mention Series S owners, something you are not
Are you? Why don’t you buy one if you love it so much?
You cherry picking titles here in there as some sort of gotcha against the cheapest system
Halo Infinite is a cherry picked game?
the cheapest system with hardware raytracing and more 120fps games seems a bit misguided. Of course you are absent when the system has higher graphical settings than the X1X, a system some think is more powerful, or when it runs games the X1X doesn't run AT ALL. An odd crusade for sure. The system is designed to reach a larger audience for a lower price. A digital XSX does neither of those things especially in an era with a major chip shortage.

On the topic of this game in particular none of the games run at a locked 60fps let alone 120. The raytracing doesn't match the highest PC settings yet again people seem to be drawn to the XSS as a problem instead of the developer doing what they wanted to with regards to the game. Cuts and compromises are made on all titles on console. It is clear though this entire generation will be filled with disingenuous arguments and chatter about the XSS. Oh well the record will continue to be corrected.
Tv Land Sleeping GIF by #Impastor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom